Author Topic: GSP P4P REALLY??  (Read 6780 times)

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Re: GSP P4P REALLY??
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 08:00:01 AM »
Jake was in survival mode the entire fight, while GSP was in his usual "safe mode", even before his eye was hurt.  Jake was the same old Jake he always is (stand up wise) and GSP failed to capitalize on that.  GSP was probably so afraid of Jake getting the take down  that he just pot shotted him all night from the outside rather than going for the kill and risking being taken down.  GSP had 2 rounds of fully functioning eyes to get it done and he chose stand and pray rather than the "finish" that he always promises.  Much like in his last fight in which HE had a one eyed Koscheck in front of him for almost the entire fight, yet he still lacked the balls to go out and put the stamp on that dead man walking.  It's official that Matt Serra took GSP's balls, and we'll probably never see another exciting highlight reel finish from him again because he's too scared of the consequences in that risk.

I agree, Serra took GSP's balls and GSP is so terrified of losing, it actually holds him back.

The first guy to put GSP out of his comfort zone , will become the new champion.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 08:33:27 AM »
I agree, Serra took GSP's balls and GSP is so terrified of losing, it actually holds him back.

The first guy to put GSP out of his comfort zone , will become the new champion.

This should put an end to you and I being a gimmick, as I completely disagree.  Serra took GSPs balls?  Did you see the rematch?  GSP finished him without breaking a sweat.  As for getting put out of his comfort zone, the guy had a major groin injury in the ALves fight and still won.  And he had a major eye poke against shields and still won.  When injuries like that happen to other fighters, they get put out of their "comfort zone" and lose.  GSP still wins.

GSPs counterparts in other weight divisions have all been beaten or come within an inch of being beaten.  Look at BJ Penn.  He lost his belt.  Look at Anderson.  Plenty of decisions on his record, and he got dominated by Chael.  The light heavy weight division is a revolving door of champs, as is the heavy weight division.  Even Jose Aldo was made to look human this weekend.

GSP has never been dominated.  If anyone should be criticized in this last fight, it should be Shields.  He had one way, and one way only, to win this fight.  He needed to take it to the ground and impose his BJJ on GSP.  Yet, he failed miserably in his two takedown attempts, and then spent the rest of the fight boxing with a one-eyed GSP.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that this main event didn't end in spectacular fashion.  But, it's not because GSP sucks.  It's MMA.  Anything can happen, including an eye poke...

w

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 08:35:40 AM »
It's official that Matt Serra took GSP's balls, and we'll probably never see another exciting highlight reel finish from him again because he's too scared of the consequences in that risk.

absolutely...

all the gymnastics in the world aren't gonna make George worth watching anymore...

I predicted and was pulling for Jake but I was totally dumbfounded when two judges gave Jake two rounds...

that fight almost made Couture/Coleman look good..

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »
absolutely...

all the gymnastics in the world aren't gonna make George worth watching anymore...

I predicted and was pulling for Jake but I was totally dumbfounded when two judges gave Jake two rounds...

that fight almost made Couture/Coleman look good..

No shit.  What two rounds did Jake win ???
w

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 08:39:13 AM »

No shit.  What two rounds did Jake win ???

I had jake doing nothing in the first round and fighting like a girl in rounds 2-5.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
This should put an end to you and I being a gimmick, as I completely disagree.  Serra took GSPs balls?  Did you see the rematch?  GSP finished him without breaking a sweat.  As for getting put out of his comfort zone, the guy had a major groin injury in the ALves fight and still won.  And he had a major eye poke against shields and still won.  When injuries like that happen to other fighters, they get put out of their "comfort zone" and lose.  GSP still wins.

GSPs counterparts in other weight divisions have all been beaten or come within an inch of being beaten.  Look at BJ Penn.  He lost his belt.  Look at Anderson.  Plenty of decisions on his record, and he got dominated by Chael.  The light heavy weight division is a revolving door of champs, as is the heavy weight division.  Even Jose Aldo was made to look human this weekend.

GSP has never been dominated.  If anyone should be criticized in this last fight, it should be Shields.  He had one way, and one way only, to win this fight.  He needed to take it to the ground and impose his BJJ on GSP.  Yet, he failed miserably in his two takedown attempts, and then spent the rest of the fight boxing with a one-eyed GSP.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that this main event didn't end in spectacular fashion.  But, it's not because GSP sucks.  It's MMA.  Anything can happen, including an eye poke...

I'm sure they'll think we're disagreeing to throw them off the gimmick accusations ;D

GSP became a different fighter after the Serra loss. He became a smarter fighter at the price of boredom.  I think GSP is one of the best, but his terrifying fear of losing is why I agree that Serra took his balls. There is absolutely no reason that his fight with Koscheck went 5 rds. Same with Hardy and even some could say Fitch.  If he had balls, he would have stepped it up a bit and finished the fight instead of coasting to victory.  We all know that GSP has the skills to plow through most WW's, but I think once that midget KO'd him, he lost his confidence.

And yes, I'm tired of getting psyched for a GSP fight, only to watch a boring clinic. I do understand that this is not all GSP's fault, but if he's so talented, he should be able to finish fights.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
I'm sure they'll think we're disagreeing to throw them off the gimmick accusations ;D

GSP became a different fighter after the Serra loss. He became a smarter fighter at the price of boredom.  I think GSP is one of the best, but his terrifying fear of losing is why I agree that Serra took his balls. There is absolutely no reason that his fight with Koscheck went 5 rds. Same with Hardy and even some could say Fitch.  If he had balls, he would have stepped it up a bit and finished the fight instead of coasting to victory.  We all know that GSP has the skills to plow through most WW's, but I think once that midget KO'd him, he lost his confidence.

And yes, I'm tired of getting psyched for a GSP fight, only to watch a boring clinic. I do understand that this is not all GSP's fault, but if he's so talented, he should be able to finish fights.

I agree with all that.  I think he just doesn't want to go through what Miguel Torrez went through. 
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 12:28:42 PM »
I agree with all that.  I think he just doesn't want to go through what Miguel Torrez went through. 

Good point.

Besides, GSP shouldn't be upset about Serra taking his balls.  GSP took Serra's balls and a kidney after their last fight. Those knees were brutal.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »
Good point.

Besides, GSP shouldn't be upset about Serra taking his balls.  GSP took Serra's balls and a kidney after their last fight. Those knees were brutal.

If I were GSP, I would keep defending my 170 title until I broke the UFC record for title defenses and consecutive wins.  Then, I would throw caution to the wind and either move up to 185, or start fighting like a reckless madman at 170...
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »
If I were GSP, I would keep defending my 170 title until I broke the UFC record for title defenses and consecutive wins.  Then, I would throw caution to the wind and either move up to 185, or start fighting like a reckless madman at 170...

I agree.  I think that he would be foolish to move up in weight.  He dominates and he's the champ. He should not be held responsible for changing his style.  That's what his challengers should be forcing him to do.

micro26

• Getbig I
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 06:39:34 AM »
GSP vs. RICH FRANKLIN makes good sense to me......both technicle stand up fighters and franklin would push GSP.  but no permanent move to 185.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 08:13:29 AM »
GSP vs. RICH FRANKLIN makes good sense to me......both technicle stand up fighters and franklin would push GSP.  but no permanent move to 185.

Only one problem with this, Rich fights at 205 these days.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 09:50:35 AM »
There are some really big guys fighting at 185.  Chael Sonnen and Okami are very big and very strong.  I don't think GSP would match up well with them.  There are some good fights for him there though.  How about Leben, Dollaway, Grove or even Wandy. I do think that because of Anderson's weak wrestling, GSP would have a real chance against him....
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »
But again why should GSP move up to fight anything but the best in the division?

If he moves up, then loses to someone like Leben, he instantly becomes an average, washed up champ in a lot of people's eyes.

I think the only fight worth the risk is with Silva, otherwise, he should just stay at WW.

GSP said it best when he mentioned in an interview that he doesn't want to become a Roy Jones Jr. by playing with his weight.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »
I agree, he shouldn't move in weight unless he wants to really test himself.  At some point he's gonna lose and tarnish a great record.  I think he stays at 170 and fight whoever is put in front of him. 

I'd like to see Sanchez get a crack at him, not that I think he'd win.