Author Topic: Self Driving Cars Will Be Here Soon  (Read 6402 times)

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
Re: Self Driving Cars Will Be Here Soon
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 07:21:46 AM »
I would buy one of those in a second. No more problems with getting a designated driver on the weekends  :)
MIRAGETROPIN

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 07:51:33 AM »
it wont be, employers will just turn your commute time into work time. be prepared for the 8-6 american work day
I doubt I will do that to myself.  :D But in the developed world labour laws prevent that sort of thing, not so sure about the US.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
They don't even have sophisticated traffic lights on the streets yet. You're still stuck on a red when nobody's around and they are jumping to self driving cars. I can see way too many malfunctions and accidents.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 05:43:39 PM »
I doubt I will do that to myself.  :D But in the developed world labour laws prevent that sort of thing, not so sure about the US.
this is about being industrious with your free time while going to work.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 06:02:55 AM »
I read an interview with the engineer that designed the expansion of the Freeway in Chicago.  he said in theory traffic should always flow but he says people constantly changing lanes and driving stupid causes 1 person to brake which then cascades down.  If the streets were filled with autonomous cars that spoke to each other, traffic jams wouldn't exist.

This is exactly right.  Anyone who has ever directed traffic or been involved in any type of job involving traffic knows this.  Computers will eliminate this, allow faster driving, make the traffic lights efficient, and calculate and manage most efficient routes and flow.  Because one single SkyNet type AI will control it all, they will be able to cut traffic times in half.

Because of this, you will all be kicking yourselves that you didn't buy cheap property 2 hours from major city employment hubs.  Right now the barrier is pretty much one hour in traffic/driving.  With self driving cars you double the distance a car can go in 1 hour.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2017, 06:07:33 AM »
yes, and very soon, we'll have commercial planes that won't need pilots....

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »

And long haul trucks.

Simple Simon

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »

Well they can take off and land on autopilot now.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »
End of freedom and privacy  in human transportation.

People can become very emotional when they don't privately own & control a car anymore, but get used to it, this will be the future on this overpopulated planet.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »
sorry, I enjoy shifting gears in my Camaro SS and I love to hear my Exhaust singing in my ears.... :)

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »
sorry, I enjoy shifting gears in my Camaro SS and I love to hear my Exhaust singing in my ears.... :)

Red Barchetta, by Rush

Hypo

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2017, 09:43:04 PM »
Driving is a colossal waste of time, spent not hitting morons. My time is worth a lot more than that. With a self driving car I can be 100% productive during my commute, so will be able to spend fewer hours at work. A net win for my home life.

Also, the two use cases you describe cover 99% of all trips made. If not actually 99.9%.

Hence, the reason I posted it! Lol!

In essence, it is a personalised train ride. Nothing wrong with that, but there are people who enjoy driving otherwise there wouldn't be shows like Top Gear around.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2017, 07:01:30 AM »
Well they can take off and land on autopilot now.

yeah, that's true, but there are two pilots in the cockpit observing the whole scenario.....unfortunate ly, there are things technology cannot fully replaced.....I just image a pilot-less plane full of people run into a windshear while getting ready to land and the many adjustments only a human pilot will be able to do.....it's interesting how the auto-pilot is also programmed to disengaged whenever there is Trouble....they know the Human presence is indispensable in some situation....

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2017, 12:22:25 PM »
it wont be, employers will just turn your commute time into work time. be prepared for the 8-6 american work day

As long as employers pay overtime and keep it optional, I'm okay with this.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »
How many people still drive stick?  Less than 3%.  Who wants to drive in bumper to bumper traffic in LA for hours?

Self driving cars will be VERY popular. 

Those Drivers or rather non drivers will still be stuck bumper to bumper for hours - not really achieved anything being driverless

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »

Those Drivers or rather non drivers will still be stuck bumper to bumper for hours - not really achieved anything being driverless

Yes, you do, you achieve a lot of efficiency and coordination.  Imagine 100 rats running the same maze versus a computer controlling all 100 rats.  The computer AI gets them all out the exit much much faster.