Author Topic: Are women just as capable as men in business and politics?  (Read 33467 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
From a discussion on the Politics board.  Interested in what some of the women think about this? 

I hope I don't live long enough to see a woman President.... After all.

Why?  I would love to see a woman president.  Bachmann would be good.  Even Hillary would have been better than Obama. 

Sorry man... There's a reason why most men are CEOs and run shit... It must be for a reason.

Men get shit done and work together... women piss and moan and bitch about each other and cause problems.

I'll probably never vote for a woman President... Call me sexist if you want to.

O.K.  You're a sexist. 

The reason men run most large companies is we had a glass ceiling and many enter the workforce late (or take breaks) to raise kids.  It still exists.  I still talk to men who don't like to hire women because they get pregnant. 

Women are just as capable as men to run businesses and be government leaders. 

Men and women get things done, but men also tend to break things, start wars, commit most of the crime, etc. 

I will say there is definitely an element of "drama" that women bring to the workplace, but to say they aren't as capable as men to lead is just untrue. 

If you say so...  They bring a lot more than drama... They bring unrest.

A lot of women commit crime and a lot of crimes men commit are because of trying to impress or deal with a woman (Crimes of passion and the like)

I say so because it's true.  One of the most successful governors in Hawaii history was female (Governor Linda Lingle).  Probably the leading business person in Hawaii is female (Connie Lau).  http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=1095886&ticker=HE:US

We have successful women in the U.S. House, other women governors, mayors, and all throughout government and the private sector all over the country.  We have two women on the U.S. Supreme Court.  Women who are college presidents, etc., etc. 

Yes a lot of women commit crimes, but men, by far, commit more (especially violent crime) and take up most of our prison space.   

Yes there are successful women... They are not the majority.

Yes there are men who commit crimes... what does that have to do with the former?

Dude you need help.  Why the woman hatred?  I thought Decide was the only resident woman hater.   

I said men commit most of the crime.  You responded by saying a lot of women commit crime.  I agreed, but reiterated that most crime, especially violent crime, is committed by men. 

I do not hate women. I am honest about their ability to work together and lead.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Are women just as capable as men in business and politics?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »
I don't know you, but you certainly sound like a woman hater.

So you are saying that my statements are not factual?

I've already said they are not factual and explained why they are not factual.  

Most women are not successful?  Good grief man.   :-\

In business... hell no.

"When we studied the leadership of 2,000 of the world's top performing companies, we found only 29 (1.5%) of those CEOs were women, an even smaller percentage than on the Fortune 500 Global list (2.6%). So it should not come as a surprise that only one woman, Meg Whitman, former CEO of eBay, made it to the top 100 of our rankings."

Women have been hugely successful in business.  

Not sure what you think that quote establishes, but the fact women make up such a small percentage of CEOs in Fortune 500 companies is not because they're not capable.  There are several reasons why there are so few:  the glass ceiling, entering the workforce late due to childbirth, or leaving and then returning to the workforce because they want to raise a family.  

So you're saying they have a lot more excuses too... I see.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:45:33 AM »
How am I talking out of both sides of my mouth... I'm saying that they target whomever owes child support but doesn't pay... Whether they be men or women... Inevitably though, there are more men ordered to pay... therefore, more men will be in default.

So you're the one saying they target men... You.

So let me make sure I understand... You are stating women are treated fairly and are equals, that's why they should be allowed to run companies and be President,  yet men are targeted by enforcement agencies... Even though they by far pay the most child support.

You don't see that you are the one who is talking out of both sides here?

No... you won't... you will try to justify your lunacy with something ridiculous... So go ahead and get started.

Asking a question and providing someone else's answer?  How original.   ::)

What on earth does child support have to do with women working in business running for political office?  It's difficult to respond to gobbledygook.  One issue at a time. 

I don't have much more to add to men paying child support other than what I've already said. 

I'm not sure how to respond to whatever it is you're saying.  You're all over the place.   

That's your answer... ok then.

Please don't comment on Child support anymore... you don't know. If you feel like looking at research and coming back... fine.

As far as women as Presidents of companies or the US... Again, I have provided numbers about that... If women would do a better job, they'd get more CEO jobs... They don't... simple.

People care about money... They want the companies they invest in to succeed... Very few women bring that success at that level.

You call it sexist, but I call it fact... I am all over the place because at the core, it's about women who succeed and in both instances, they are proven not to... In business, they just get fired or don't get jobs, in households, they get welfare from the man who does succeed.

I will comment on whatever the heck I want.  The real solution is don't read and/or respond to something you don't like, or that doesn't interest you.  I do it all the time.   :)

Your comments about women are some of the most preposterous things I have ever read on this board.  They are comments I would expect from someone like SamsonJag.  Your statistics about female CEOs do not prove that women are not capable of running businesses.  If you believe that, then you're not very bright.  As I indicated in another thread, the lack of female CEOs at Fortune 500 companies are a direct result of the glass ceiling, women entering the workforce late due to marriage and/childbirth, and women leaving and then returning to the workforce to raise kids. 

The men who run these companies, many of whom are in their 60s or so, entered the workforce 30 or 40 years ago.  Women did not have a level playing field in the workforce in the 1970s or even part of the 1980s.  If you've talked to many people in upper management, like I have, and listen to what some of them say about women, it's alarming.  The primary complaint I've heard is they're upset that women get pregnant and leave.  Has zero to do with their ability to lead.     

You keep saying that... You're saying 30 years and the glass ceiling isn't broken?

We have more BLACK CEOs than we have women... These people were slaves for 400 years, yet they can break the glass ceiling and women can't?

You're right about one thing... you can respond to whatever you want to, you just don't make much of an argument in this case... You go ahead and "stick to your guns" about this... Bottom line is... you're just wrong.

What does being pregnant have to do with it anyway? If a woman doesn't want to get pregnant and wants to have a successful career, no one is stopping them... Nothing but an excuse.

Everything you've said is an excuse for being "less than".

Let me make I understand exactly what you're saying.  Are you suggesting men are smarter than women? 

I didn't say that... I said they were more successful... The reasons are not about intelligence, but their social skills.

Men work together to achieve a goal... Even if they typically do not like the person they are working with. The Enemy of my Enemy is my friend.

Women do not work together well... They cat fight... Always struggle for power and stab each other in the back more frequently. The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy.

It has much more to do with how they view their peers... women always try to find fault with other women... They "hate" on each other. Men use other men's skills to their advantage... less "hate".

Go listen to how women talk about other women when out in a public and social setting (such as a bar or club)... Guys almost never do that to other guys in the real world... Only on a bodybuilding forum does stuff like that happen.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:48:16 AM »
This happens, but it's primarily less educated staff who engage in this kind of stuff.  White collar female professionals and politicians, by and large, do not have these issues.  They don't have "cat fights."  They function just as well as men in those environments.   

I listen to women talk all the time in public and social settings, both here and across the country.  To say all professional women, or even a majority, don't have the social skills to be successful is untrue. 

And in terms of "back stabbing," it's professional men who are much more ruthless than women in my experience.  People (primarily men) in business can be cutthroat.  Not even close. 

I disagree.

Obviously.  And there are others like you.  That's why we have Title VII.  lol . . . .

Not a bit... If women prove that they are capable, I have no problem with it... My life experience, as well as the experience of most, has shown otherwise.

I am not against equal rights... I'm against special treatment... Don't get it twisted.

I haven't twisted anything.  You don't believe women are as capable as men in business or politics.  You would never vote for a woman president.  I assume that means any other elected office too? 

Title VII was designed precisely for your kind of mindset. 

As I think about it, I'm not all that surprised, because I've met a number of men who don't like to hire women.  I actually talked to a woman's group about this last year.  It does create additional barriers for them to overcome.   

My life experience tells me you have a warped view of women in society and the workplace. 

You're just wrong... You have no concept of why I say what I say, even when I've come out and said very clearly why.

You're just delusional when it comes to this point. I will not respond anymore in this thread.

No worries.   :)  I hope you can overcome your misogyny.   :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:49:46 AM »
Also, from a story I posted a while back:

Women leading men in CEO pay
16 top females had salaries 43% higher than male average
By Alexis Leondis
Bloomberg News Service

Chief executive officers' pay is shattering the glass ceiling.

Boosted by a $47.2 million package for Carol Bartz of Yahoo! Inc. and $26.3 million for Irene Rosenfeld of Kraft Foods Inc., compensation for female CEOs at the biggest U.S. companies is booming.

Sixteen women heading companies in the Standard & Poor's 500 Index averaged earnings of $14.2 million in their latest fiscal years, 43 percent more than the male average, according to data compiled by Bloomberg News from proxy filings. The women who were also CEOs in 2008 got a 19 percent raise in 2009 — while the men took a 5 percent cut.

"When you see numbers like this, one can truly say that the glass ceiling in corporate America has been shattered," said Frank Glassner, CEO of San Francisco-based Veritas Executive Compensation Consultants LLC. "I don't remember seeing women ever getting paid more than men."

Graef Crystal, a pay expert who analyzed the data for Bloomberg News, said that "compensation committees are saying we don't want to have any trouble" over underpaying women, "so if we err, let's err on the side of giving them too much."

Darwinian competition is also playing a role, said Sheila Wellington, a professor of management and organizations at New York University who studies women business leaders.

"These are the strongest, fittest and toughest who survive," according to Wellington, who said she was offered half the salary of male peers for her first job at a mental health facility in 1968. "They've had to negotiate all the way up the ladder."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100514/BUSINESS18/5140323/Women+leading+men+in+CEO+pay

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=330793.0

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
tu has his opinion of course, but his view seems narrow (sorry tu!).

Also, many women are in prison because of crimes they committed for "their man."

Personally if I was president I would hope to be postmenopausal :)
R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »

Also, many women are in prison because of crimes they committed for "their man."

Your opinion doesn't count Butterbean.  You're like a guy.  In a non-butch, cool sorta way.   :)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 07:34:59 PM »
you mean in a hottie (albiet big footed), non-butch, cool, thinks like a guy and doesn't poop kinda way

p.s. your almost out of toilet paper Stella

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:13:32 AM »
lolz
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 08:41:07 AM »
women are capable of running a business and in politics.  I think they just need to get out of their own way

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 04:27:54 AM »

I have to be nice here, so I just quote this.   :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 07:36:06 AM »
I think alot of his perspective probably has to do with personal experiences instead of facts. Actually I just read a little more "life experiences" is cited as his reasoning...

Ive had the benefit of having a few women as my boss, my direct boss right now is a women and she is the CFO so Id say thats pretty successful. She pretty much holds the company together I would hate to see what would happen if she got sick or heaven forbid quit.

The person I interned for at ML was a women, had a child and was about to give birth to her second all while making probably 300k+ a yr.

I think women have a much harder time splitting the dichotomy that our culture insists they do and thats why ppl percieve them as ineffective leaders. If youre expected to be submissive, soft hearted and kind its kinda hard to be hard lined, deadline oriented and aggressive without being percieved as a "bitch" by those projecting the opposite views on you.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »

Wow...
Butterbean... Are you saying that women's hormones make them a bit "unhinged"?

I agree that the commit crimes for "Their man"... That's being a follower and not a leader.

I posted my opinions on the Politics Board because it just went that way in the discussion... I didn't bring it over here because of the "positive vibe this board is supposed to have.

Personally, I think Beach should have directed you to the discussion thread and not copied and pasted my comments over here...

I must have got in his head.

I have to be nice here, so I just quote this.   :)

Still in your head I see.

;)

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »

The person I interned for at ML was a women, had a child and was about to give birth to her second all while making probably 300k+ a yr.

what does she look like?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 03:40:42 PM »
I think alot of his perspective probably has to do with personal experiences instead of facts. Actually I just read a little more "life experiences" is cited as his reasoning...

Ive had the benefit of having a few women as my boss, my direct boss right now is a women and she is the CFO so Id say thats pretty successful. She pretty much holds the company together I would hate to see what would happen if she got sick or heaven forbid quit.

I think women have a much harder time splitting the dichotomy that our culture insists they do and thats why ppl percieve them as ineffective leaders. If youre expected to be submissive, soft hearted and kind its kinda hard to be hard lined, deadline oriented and aggressive without being percieved as a "bitch" by those projecting the opposite views on you.

If you need to be a bitch to get stuff done, then be a bitch and get stuff done... No one ever says a guy can't be a caring loving father and not get pissy... It's another excuse.

Your old boss is an exception... not the rule... Good for her.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
Found a great site.  Some statistics:

Women Earn More Degrees

 Women have been earning more bachelor’s degrees than men since 1982 and they have been
earning more master’s degrees than men since 1981.  They are projected to earn 59% of all
postsecondary degrees conferred in 2008.16

 Women are projected to earn 52% of professional degrees conferred in 2008–09, up from
2.6% in 1961.17

 Women are projected to earn 52.7% of all doctoral degrees in 2008–09, while in 1961 they
earned only 10.5% of all doctoral degrees.18

 The proportion of women in law school increased from 3.7% in 1963 to 44% in the academic
year 2007–08.19

 The proportion of women in medical school increased from 5.8% in the academic year 1960–
61 to almost 49% in the academic year 2007–08.20

 Between academic years 1959–60 and 2005–06, the percentage of degrees in dentistry
earned by women increased from 0.8% to 44.5%.21

http://www.pay-equity.org/PDFs/ProfWomen.pdf

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 04:06:51 PM »
Found a great site.  Some statistics:

Women Earn More Degrees

 Women have been earning more bachelor’s degrees than men since 1982 and they have been
earning more master’s degrees than men since 1981.  They are projected to earn 59% of all
postsecondary degrees conferred in 2008.16

 Women are projected to earn 52% of professional degrees conferred in 2008–09, up from
2.6% in 1961.17

 Women are projected to earn 52.7% of all doctoral degrees in 2008–09, while in 1961 they
earned only 10.5% of all doctoral degrees.18

 The proportion of women in law school increased from 3.7% in 1963 to 44% in the academic
year 2007–08.19

 The proportion of women in medical school increased from 5.8% in the academic year 1960–
61 to almost 49% in the academic year 2007–08.20

 Between academic years 1959–60 and 2005–06, the percentage of degrees in dentistry
earned by women increased from 0.8% to 44.5%.21

http://www.pay-equity.org/PDFs/ProfWomen.pdf

What does that have to do with the point of topic?

Yes... women get degrees... What do they do with them after is the point.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
The Wage Gap Persists

The wage gap between sexes still plagues the American workforce.  In 2007, the Center for
American Progress (CAP) found that women earn 78 cents on a dollar for every dollar a man
earns in a year.28  The gender wage gap has extreme costs for women over the course of their
careers.  CAP found that the average female worker loses approximately $434,000 in wages over
a 40-year period as a direct result of pay inequities.29  Out of 23 Organization for Economic Co-
operation and Development (OECD) countries, the United States has the seventh largest gender
earnings gap.  The gender wage gap in the United States is 21.6%, well above the OECD average
of 18.5%.30

In 2009, women’s median weekly earnings were only 80.2% of men’s median weekly earnings.  
For most women of color, the earnings gap was even larger:31

 African American women earned 71 cents for every dollar earned by men in 2009.32

 Hispanic and Latina women earned just 62 cents for every dollar men earned.33

 Only Asian American women’s earnings were closer to parity with men’s:  in 2009, they
earned 95 cents for every dollar earned by men.  However, they earned 81.8% as much as
Asian American men.34

The wage gap is also more pronounced for older women:  in 2009, women over 25 earned 78.7%
that of men in the same age group while women aged 1624 earned 92.6% as much as their male
peers.35

The support and opportunity for women to pursue careers in fields like science, technology,
engineering and mathematics is important for working towards pay equity.  In science and
engineering, for example, women are still paid less than men but tend to earn more than similarly
educated women in other sectors of the workforce.  The average starting salary for someone with
a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, for example, was just over $59,000.  By
comparison, the average starting salary for an individual with a bachelor’s degree in economics
was just under $50,000.36

Equal pay, however, remains a problem in every occupational category, even in occupations
where women considerably outnumber men.  In 2009, certain professions showed a significant
gap:37

 Women in professional and related occupations earned over 26% less than their male
counterparts, while women in sales and office occupations earned 20% less than similarly
employed men.

 Female elementary and middle school teachers earned over 14% less than similarly
employed men, despite comprising almost 82% of the field.38

 Female registered nurses earned more than 5% less than their male colleagues, although
over 90% of nurses are women.39

 Female physicians and surgeons earned a whopping 36% less than their male
counterparts.

 Female college and university teachers earned over 15% less than those who were male.

 Female lawyers earned 25% less than male lawyers.

Women also earn less at every level of education.  For full-time workers aged 25 and older in
2007:

 The median annual earnings of a female high school graduate was 26% less than that of
her male counterpart.

 The median annual earnings of a woman with a bachelor’s degree was almost 25% (or on
average $16,058) less than that of a similarly qualified man.

 Women are more likely to complete graduate education.  A woman with a master’s
degree earned 25% (or on average $19,250) less than a man with a master’s degree.

 The median annual earnings for a woman with a professional degree was $65,912 while
men earned over $90,000.

 A woman with a doctoral degree earned more than 22% (or on average $18,054) less than
a similarly qualified man.40

 According to a recent report by the American Association of University Women, women
who attended highly selective colleges earn less than men from either highly or
moderately selective colleges and about the same as men from minimally selective
colleges.

 Men and women remain segregated by college major, with women making up 79% of
education majors and men making up 82% of engineering majors.  This segregation is
found in the workplace as well, where women make up 74% of the education field and
men make up 84% of the engineering and architecture fields.41

 According to a study by the Center for American Progress, women at all educational
levels suffer long term affects from the wage gap.  Women with less than a high school
diploma will earn on average $270,000 less over a 40 year time period than their male
counterparts.  The differences are even larger as educational attainment grows.  Women
with a high school degree will earn, on average, $392,000 less, women with some college
will earn $452,000 less, and women with a bachelor’s degree or higher will earn
$713,000 less than their male counterparts over a 40-year period.42

Because women are paid less when they work, they receive smaller Social Security benefits
when they retire:

 Women represent 57% of all Social Security beneficiaries age 62 and older and
approximately 69% of beneficiaries age 85 and older.43

 In 2006, the average Social Security income received by women 65 years and older was
$10,685, compared with $14,055 for men.44

 In 2007, 47% of unmarried women receiving Social Security benefits relied on Social
Security for 90% or more of their income.45

 In 2006, the average Social Security retirement benefit was 25.5% smaller for women
than men.  Sixty-eight point seven percent of women receive a monthly benefit of under
$1,000 while 70% of men receive more than $1,000 per month.46

 In 2007, for unmarried women age 65 and older, Social Security comprised 48% of their
total income.  In contrast, Social Security benefits comprised only 37% of unmarried
elderly men’s income and only 30% of elderly couples’ income.47

 In 2006, only 29.2% of women 65 and older received any form of pension or annuity
income and the median amount was $6,420.  For men, 43.8% received pensions or
annuity income and the median amount was $12,000.48

 The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) estimates that unmarried women
receive approximately $8,000 less in annual retirement income than their male
counterparts.  Two-thirds of this disparity is directly attributable to the wage gap and
employment segregation.50

 Participation in employer-sponsored retirement plans is increasing for women in today’s
workforce.  In 2007, 52.6% of women employed full-time participated in an employer-
sponsored plan compared to 51.6% of men.  Women generally receive lower pensibenefits due to their relatively lower earnings.49

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 04:09:58 PM »
What does that have to do with the point of topic?

Yes... women get degrees... What do they do with them after is the point.

They don't just get degrees.  They earn more degrees than men. 

When they reach the highest levels, they actually earn more than men.  Getting there can be the hard part. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »
Also, if you look at how the percentages of women earning undergraduate and advanced degrees has skyrocketed, you'll have a better understanding of why it has taken a while for many of them to reach the highest levels in business and the professions.  The numbers in the 1960s were abysmal. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
They don't just get degrees.  They earn more degrees than men. 

When they reach the highest levels, they actually earn more than men.  Getting there can be the hard part. 

So you're saying all of this discussion about women making less money, which you posted btw, is bull?

I'm not posting in this thread anymore... put it in the original thread or don't post it at all.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »
So you're saying all of this discussion about women making less money, which you posted btw, is bull?

I'm not posting in this thread anymore... put it in the original thread or don't post it at all.

lol.  Who the heck are you?  lol.  I'll post whatever the heck I want, so long as I comply with the girlie board rules.   :)

In any event, Fortune 500 companies with the highest percentage of females in uppers management perform better:

The Bottom Line: Connecting Corporate Performance and Gender Diversity
Research Reports
Published: January 2004

The business case for gender diversity asserts that organizations that develop and advance women will benefit for a number of reasons. Specifically, they will access a large part of the available talent pool, as well as employ individuals who reflect a substantial part of their consumer base. This study, the first in the Business Case series, sets out to determine whether there is a link between gender diversity and corporate financial performance.

Impetus: Although research has been conducted in this area, no firm link has been established between gender diversity on top leadership teams and financial performance.

Methodology:

A list of all companies that appeared in the Fortune 500 from 1996 to 2000 was compiled (with adjustments for name changes and merger and acquisitions activity). This list was narrowed to include only those companies for which there existed at least four years of data on financial performance (return on equity and total return to shareholders), as well as the gender diversity of the top management team. The final sample included 353 companies.

Those 353 companies were divided into quartiles—with roughly equal numbers of companies in each quartile—based on women’s representation within the top management team.

The financial performance of top- and bottom-quartile companies was compared.

The 353 companies were divided into 11 industry sectors, which allowed us to compare the financial performance of top- and bottom-quartile companies by industry. Of the 11 industries in this study, there was enough data (enough companies in a particular industry) to conduct analysis within five industries—consumer discretionary, consumer staples, financial, industrials, and information technology/telecommunications services.

Findings: Companies with the highest representation of women on their top management teams experienced better financial performance than companies with the lowest women’s representation. This finding holds for both financial measures analyzed: Return on Equity (ROE), which is 35 percent higher, and Total Return to Shareholders (TRS), which is 34 percent higher. In each of the five industries analyzed, the companies with the highest women’s representation on their top management teams experienced a higher ROE than the companies with the lowest women’s representation. In four out of five industries, the companies with the highest women’s representation on their top management teams experienced a higher TRS than the companies with the lowest women’s representation.

Sponsor: BMO Financial Group

http://www.catalyst.org/publication/82/the-bottom-line-connecting-corporate-performance-and-gender-diversity

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
According to this study, increased females in upper management improves the company's performance:

Does Female Representation in Top Management Improve Firm Performance? A Panel Data Investigation
Cristian L. Dezso
University of Maryland - R.H. Smith School of Business
David Gaddis Ross
Columbia University - Columbia Business School
Robert H. Smith School Research Paper No. RHS 06-104

Abstract:     
We argue that female representation in top management brings informational and social diversity benefits to the top management team, enriches the behaviors exhibited by managers throughout the firm, and motivates women in middle management. The result should be improved managerial task performance and thus better firm performance. We test our theory using 15 years of panel data on the top management teams of the S&P 1,500 firms. We find that female representation in top management improves firm performance but only to the extent that a firm’s strategy is focused on innovation, in which context the informational and social benefits of gender diversity and the behaviors associated with women in management are likely to be especially important for managerial task performance.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1088182

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 04:28:14 PM »
lol.  Who the heck are you?  lol.  I'll post whatever the heck I want, so long as I comply with the girlie board rules.   :)

Last post for real... You are simply taking readers away from your own board that you mod... in threads that you should simply have linked to.

You are doing a disservice to the board you are supposed to be an advocate for... It's pretty simple.

Instead of sending viewers to the Politics board... You came over here... About a thread I had all but forgotten about.

I also notice you only quoted me... Not others who commented.

I own your mind... you don't have to admit it... everyone can tell.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 04:34:56 PM »
Last post for real... You are simply taking readers away from your own board that you mod... in threads that you should simply have linked to.

You are doing a disservice to the board you are supposed to be an advocate for... It's pretty simple.

Instead of sending viewers to the Politics board... You came over here... About a thread I had all but forgotten about.

I also notice you only quoted me... Not others who commented.

I own your mind... you don't have to admit it... everyone can tell.

It's much simpler than that.  I wanted some female input on the topic we discussed.  I want to see if my world view is narrower than I thought (which I doubt).  Perhaps a number of women agree with you.   

I decided not to split and move the topic on the Politics Board, because I thought it should stay there too. 

No one else really had much to say about the subject, but if you want to add their comments, you can cut and paste like I did.  Not hard to do.