Author Topic: Unitarian Universalist  (Read 961 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Unitarian Universalist
« on: May 13, 2011, 04:54:09 AM »
This is a "religion" that really interests, and jives with me.

Opinions?

Butterbean?

???

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Unitarian Universalist
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:34:02 AM »
Are they mostly humanists?

Can you agree w/the quotes below?

A gal I know was telling me her mom goes to the Unitarian church and that they bring in people of diff faiths to preach all the time...I have a feeling they don't ever have a conservative Christain preacher though.

www.uunashua.org

"Truth is not absolute; it changes over time."

"Most of us do not believe in a supernatural, supreme being who can directly intervene in and alter human life or the mechanism of the natural world. Many believe in a spirit of life or a power within themselves, which some choose to call God."

"A personal God is one with whom someone feels a one-to-one relationship, a deity who cares specifically for that individual and to whom that person can appeal directly. Few UUs would characterize God in such personal terms."

"In most services, there are few, if any, mentions of a deity."

"The emphasis is on issues of human growth, human potential and personal human issues that we all face in day-to-day living. There is also an emphasis on social, moral and ethical issues that confront us. Although subjects are presented from the religious perspective of the minister or the speaker, it is never assumed that all present have a common belief in God."

"Do you believe in the existence of spiritual beings?
Not in the sense of something that is disembodied. Most agree that there is a spiritual dimension to life that is connected to the physical, mental, emotional, and psychological aspects of life"

"We do not believe in miracles in any supernatural way since our ideas of God generally do not include a deity who has the ability to alter the workings of the natural world."

"We do not believe that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin, performed miracles and was resurrected from death."

"Very few UUs believe in a continuing, individualized existence after physical death. Even fewer believe in the physical existence of places called heaven or hell where one goes after dying. We believe immortality manifests itself in the lives of those we affect during our lifetime and in the legacy we leave when we die"

R

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:52:48 AM »
Are they mostly humanists?

Can you agree w/the quotes below?

A gal I know was telling me her mom goes to the Unitarian church and that they bring in people of diff faiths to preach all the time...I have a feeling they don't ever have a conservative Christain preacher though.

I'm not sure.  I was researching different stuff, than I took that quiz I posted, i looked UU up on Wiki, their website and youtube when it came up as my second result and seemed to agree with a lot of it.  Some of those quotes you posted I disagree with strongly, and some I do agree with.

Hmmmmmm

Thanks BB!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:26:29 AM »
I'm not sure.  I was researching different stuff, than I took that quiz I posted, i looked UU up on Wiki, their website and youtube when it came up as my second result and seemed to agree with a lot of it.  Some of those quotes you posted I disagree with strongly, and some I do agree with.

Hmmmmmm

Thanks BB!

You're welcome, dearie ;D
R