Author Topic: LEGENDS OF BODYBUILDING MAGAZINE  (Read 20915 times)

Lunarr

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
LEGENDS OF BODYBUILDING MAGAZINE
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »
Recently got Musclemag's Legends of Bodybuilding mag. I stopped buying mags when the bodybuilders got too big. That's why reading about the old guys is great. Will there be another mag like this? Maybe the publishers should consider coming out with a regular mag on classic bodybuilders.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: LEGENDS OF BODYBUILDING MAGAZINE
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 09:42:38 AM »
they are going to put out more of these, what's the odds ah-nuld s will be on the cover.
F

Lunarr

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:07:47 PM »
they are going to put out more of these, what's the odds ah-nuld s will be on the cover.

thanks. arnold is always on the cover...but maybe they'll let the sperminator thing die down a bit. wanted to see more early pics of boyer coe. and more of don howorth's wide shoulders

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:34:13 PM »
here's howorth
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:41:29 PM »
a few early coes. if you get a chance buy his book might be a little hard to get now though.
F

Lunarr

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »
Great pics! Thanks man!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »
Great pics! Thanks man!
your welcome, here are a few shots of some guys who will never be in a legends mag but should be.
F

Lunarr

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »
You're right. I've never heard of them but they look great. One of the Howorth shots you posted reminded me of Dennis Tinerino. The hair, I think-and Tinerino was also wide.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »
here's three in one shot abe goldberg the afore-mentioned bob hinds and bruce randall who went from over 400 lbs down to 230 and won mr universe. i actually met this guy once.
F

Lunarr

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »
There were mass monsters even then. Am trying to look for a good leg shot of Kimon Voyages-wasn't he like the Platz of his day? Read about him in an M & F article about Steve Reeves I think.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 04:33:46 AM »
great pics of the old guys. They were really strong too! ;)

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 08:59:20 AM »
here's three in one shot abe goldberg the afore-mentioned bob hinds and bruce randall who went from over 400 lbs down to 230 and won mr universe. i actually met this guy once.

i thought he actually cut down to the 180's from 400 that year?

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »
bruce randal !   the 1st weight set my dad bought be when i was 12 had an exercise manual by him, had a great build!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 11:11:38 AM »
i thought he actually cut down to the 180's from 400 that year?
your right he then trained back up to 230 or so and won nabba mr u. pic below was at 280 lbs looks fairly thin for that weight.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 11:14:25 AM »
bruce randal !   the 1st weight set my dad bought be when i was 12 had an exercise manual by him, had a great build!
that must have been a billard set then, that was my first abe goldberg was on the training manual.
F

yendor1152

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:25:43 PM »
As I'm sure most of you know, there was indeed a second volume of MuscleMag's Legends of Bodybuilding. It hit the stands in January of 2012.
When I saw the first issue, I was somewhat taken aback. Since 1998, I'd been writing a semi-regular series for Iron Man entitled "Legends of Bodybuilding." On average, I scored about three interviews in the mag a year, everyone from Don Howorth to Larry Scott to Steve Reeves to Jay Cutler and even Reg Lewis. There were many in between (the series lasted until early 2012). I so wanted to be involved with the MuscleMag project but didn't dare leave the Iron Man fold for fear that I'd burn a bridge.

Earlier this year, I decided to throw caution to the wind and contacted MuscleMag's editor, Gino. It coincided with my decision to leave Iron Man and seek greener pastures. Gino responded, we talked about Volume 3 of Legends (which will be out in January), and I contributed two interviews: Jeff King and Roger Callard. Those assignments led to a two-part Porter Cottrell Legends interview, as well as big chats with Rory Leidelmyer and Bill Pearl. All of these will see print in 2013.

So, watch for MuscleMag's Legends of Bodybuilding--coming soon to a newsstand near you!

Rod

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »
As I'm sure most of you know, there was indeed a second volume of MuscleMag's Legends of Bodybuilding. It hit the stands in January of 2012.
When I saw the first issue, I was somewhat taken aback. Since 1998, I'd been writing a semi-regular series for Iron Man entitled "Legends of Bodybuilding." On average, I scored about three interviews in the mag a year, everyone from Don Howorth to Larry Scott to Steve Reeves to Jay Cutler and even Reg Lewis. There were many in between (the series lasted until early 2012). I so wanted to be involved with the MuscleMag project but didn't dare leave the Iron Man fold for fear that I'd burn a bridge.

Earlier this year, I decided to throw caution to the wind and contacted MuscleMag's editor, Gino. It coincided with my decision to leave Iron Man and seek greener pastures. Gino responded, we talked about Volume 3 of Legends (which will be out in January), and I contributed two interviews: Jeff King and Roger Callard. Those assignments led to a two-part Porter Cottrell Legends interview, as well as big chats with Rory Leidelmyer and Bill Pearl. All of these will see print in 2013.

So, watch for MuscleMag's Legends of Bodybuilding--coming soon to a newsstand near you!

Rod

yendor tell them to reprise there muscles in the movies articles that they did in the early mmi's history buffs would enjoy them. some guys are still around, samson burke, mark lou degni forrest, reg lewis and alan steele etc.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 07:42:17 AM »
Gordon scott was another great Actor and weight trainer... still like watching these old films with Mark forest,steve reeves,Gordon scott...and the one and only REG PARK ;)

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13:15 AM »
Gordon scott was another great Actor and weight trainer... still like watching these old films with Mark forest,steve reeves,Gordon scott...and the one and only REG PARK ;)

i was at walmart and for 5 dollars they had a pack of dvds that had 50 of the old Hercules and similar movies. i think i watched part of one and it was pretty sad.  but it has all these old bodybuilders turned actor in the collection

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »
i was at walmart and for 5 dollars they had a pack of dvds that had 50 of the old Hercules and similar movies. i think i watched part of one and it was pretty sad.  but it has all these old bodybuilders turned actor in the collection
as a kid i loved to watch them and i still do.. you got a great bargain for 5 dollars ;). great physiques.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
legends book 3 is out.
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 12:05:34 PM »
robert kennedy, RIP, musclemag int has released legends part 3 , i haven't gotten it yet but i imagine arnold will be on the cover like the first two. i understand a lot of guys who usually don't get covered in this day and age got some coverage, leo robert, dan padilla , brian buchanen .........
F

kimo

• Getbig III
Re: legends book 3 is out.
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »
went throught it good but no great . legends two was better .

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: legends book 3 is out.
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »
finally got it arnold on the cover as usual. just looking it thru it for the first time i caught one glaring error. in the roger callard article they have mistakeningly put a pic of rod koontz as roger. other than that not bad, but there are tons of guys i would have liked to have seen but got more arnold, zane and lil franco.MMI take note how about abe goldberg, harold poole, earl maynard , paul wynter,freddie oritz, rick wayne and on and on.
F