Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 551551 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #950 on: April 15, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
I also want to have a rant about JK Rowling and all the other plagarismists.  I think it'd be funny to name names and take apart authors

(When I was 16 I used to enjoy books which quoted other authors, kinda high-brow?  I read everything I could find most of my life. 

I always kept going through the novel I was into and wrote down all the big words I met on the way but didn't know.  I kept lists and came back later to mad elongated literacy.

Same with authors who drop names and quote Oscar Wilde.  Or was it him that quoted everyone else?

More frequently I am hugely disappointed with modern literature.  Does my head in, tis rubbish mostly
xL

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #951 on: April 15, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »
I also want to have a rant about JK Rowling and all the other plagarismists.  I think it'd be funny to name names and take apart authors

(When I was 16 I used to enjoy books which quoted other authors, kinda high-brow?  I read everything I could find most of my life.  

I always kept going through the novel I was into and wrote down all the big words I met on the way but didn't know.  I kept lists and came back later to mad elongated literacy.

Same with authors who drop names and quote Oscar Wilde.  Or was it him that quoted everyone else?

More frequently I am hugely disappointed with modern literature.  Does my head in, tis rubbish mostly
xL

Plagarismists. Is that your final answer?

Something very peculiar happening here, for sure.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #952 on: April 16, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »
Plagarismists. Is that your final answer?

Something very peculiar happening here, for sure.

A lot of wine. And, if you go back far enough, Linda used to be a guy. It's farked up. Getbig!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #953 on: April 16, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
A lot of wine. And, if you go back far enough, Linda used to be a guy. It's farked up. Getbig!

I read some old posts. Positively cuckoo.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #954 on: April 16, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »

I'm reading mike Tyson's undisputed truth.

I think I'm going to have a hard time putting it down. the guy actually writes well, along the lines of really opening himself up to you the reader. you get a very good feel for 'him'. so far it's no bullshit or bravado. just feels like 100% legit truths. much respect for him writing this. keeps you turning pages as well.
b

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #955 on: April 17, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »

Oi ooops no actually I hate to need to correct/edit you dr.?

I came across GetBig when a guy I brought home from the Pub after I'd admired him a few days and after doing me all night and doing 1000 push ups in the morning then was still back at me was still up then used my puter and left himself logged on.  That was many years ago

At that time I was just reading a lot of books and I had no idea whatsoever about the internet, I'd only just bought a new iMac.

I clicked the mouse when he finally left and the screen came up with him logged onto Getbig.  So I read his horrific posts then wrote hello help me and people did and I was then able to log on as myself.  

Forgive me for the weekend fling, he ended up overdosing on test and wrecking two or three pubs on the way to kicking in my front door and being taken out by my neighbours who came across the road to help me and fend him off.

This is after he read my posts...  Then the Police came.  He's probably still in jail or back there or dead and def in timeout (or trolling...

Sorry 'bout that babes, I was never a bloke.  I'm just silly Linda

I'm reading everything I can find about Mindfullness, living in the moment?  presently I'm half way through Ruby Wax Sane New World

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #956 on: April 17, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Oi ooops no actually I hate to need to correct/edit you dr.?

I came across GetBig when a guy I brought home from the Pub after I'd admired him a few days and after doing me all night and doing 1000 push ups in the morning then was still back at me was still up then used my puter and left himself logged on.  That was many years ago

At that time I was just reading a lot of books and I had no idea whatsoever about the internet, I'd only just bought a new iMac.

I clicked the mouse when he finally left and the screen came up with him logged onto Getbig.  So I read his horrific posts then wrote hello help me and people did and I was then able to log on as myself.  

Forgive me for the weekend fling, he ended up overdosing on test and wrecking two or three pubs on the way to kicking in my front door and being taken out my my neighbours after he read my posts...  Then the Police came.  He's probably still in jail or back there and def in timeout (or trolling...

Sorry 'bout that babes, I was never a bloke.  I'm just silly Linda

I'm reading everything I can find about Mindfullness, living in the moment?  presently I'm half way through Ruby Wax Sane New World

Probably would've covered it.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #957 on: April 17, 2014, 11:23:56 AM »
Ta Babes but I've always known that

It'd be so much simpler to be able to do clever witty mad fun one-liners as you do?

Instead I'm this utterly ridiculous paragraph person...

xxxLinda

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #958 on: April 17, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »
noone, don't do that rubbish please?  Game of Thrones?  20 years or more ago it was all that JRR Tolkien crap.  I got through The Hobbit when I was 12 and immediately decided I didn't like goblins.  I obviously didn't bother with the following trilogy.

I tried to read JK Rowling first edition first book when it came out to a friend's child when babyminding.  I couldn't get past the first page.  It was so badly written and I apologised to the young boy and said honest, you don't want to read this it's crap.  It went on to make gazillions so perhaps I just didn't get it.  I know he didn't read the books either.

Games of Thrones?  No way.  I'm nearly 50 so that means I have only so many books left I have time to read in my life.  

I realised that when I was 13 so just groaned then turned around and smiled when I saw all the shelves at the library.  
There are only so many books one can read in a lifetime and I suggest you get picky

xxxL
madly

I've got a list somewhere of the 10 best novels
.... where are my glasses?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #959 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
A giant of literature has died. Nobelate Gabriel Garcia Marquez has passed away, aged 87. Readers, worth their salt, will have a copy of '100 Years of Solitude' on their shelves, and will have probably gone through a 'Gabo' stage at some point in their reading history - he was that powerful. A proponent of 'magical realism,' his books were both personal, political, and fantastic. His narratives were driven/forward and always involved something lurid - a nod to his own life. When 'Solitude' made him an author of note, he worried that he would never recreate its success. He needn't have worried. Thanks for the fractured memories, compadre!

/nytimes obit: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/books/gabriel-garcia-marquez-literary-pioneer-dies-at-87.html?ref=books&_r=0  

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #960 on: April 17, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »
Oh waaaaaaaa Mr Khan
You learn stuff first here on the www.

They're doing obits now on the BBC TV headlines.

An amazing writer.  The fact that he wrote in Latino makes the English translation so incredibly fabulously feeling.  

I've read Love in the Time of Cholera at least twice, his descriptions of love and of senses and particularly the way in which he describes smells were some of my best reading moments.  I'll have to read it again.  But I gave it away so I'll have to buy it again.

I've not yet read One Hundred Years...

Thanks for posting oh thanks for telling

xxxL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #961 on: April 17, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »

Spanglish Baby, Yo?
Que Linda

I'm in the fiction section, sorry I can't find my specs.

What I meant that you don't get is that I adore novels which are originally written in another language but which translate into utter beauty

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #962 on: April 17, 2014, 04:02:27 PM »
uh huh

que Linda

funny thing is and my point was that I don't need to learn any other language and nor will you
Anything worth reading will always be translated to English, so learn that lingo well Gringo.

Loco
RIP Marquez

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #963 on: April 20, 2014, 02:29:30 AM »
noone, don't do that rubbish please?  Game of Thrones?  20 years or more ago it was all that JRR Tolkien crap.  I got through The Hobbit when I was 12 and immediately decided I didn't like goblins.  color]

ya i ground my way thru the first 160 pages of the first book and wont pick it back up. im done w it.
b

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #964 on: April 20, 2014, 05:37:20 AM »
Re read, wealth of nations....smith

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #965 on: May 03, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »
Just finished and can recommend 'Child of a Hidden Sea' by A.M Dellamonica. She's a lesbian and it shows, but the writing is good and story fascinating.

Kinda stuck for something to read. Any recommendations? I enjoy high fantasy or historical fiction.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #966 on: May 04, 2014, 12:56:09 AM »
I'm reading Linda's autobiography. Riveting.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #967 on: May 06, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »
Ya, I've done the plot line but haven't quite figured out the ending yet, let alone the title, but thanks....

I'm doing this mindfullness stuff, I have to, my Mum sent me this book.  The author is a campaigner for mental health (she says she is bipolar or some other disorder on some spectrum.)  I lived in Canada, I'm fucking bi-polar too?

joke ya?

I've always understood mindfullness, it's living in the moment.  Don't really need to read the blimmin book that's just come out....

So this book my Mum has sent to me I will already know.  But my Mum's got terminal cancer and she's sending me books she thinks I need to read, so I shall.

Sane New World, Ruby Wax

xL
[/size]

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #968 on: May 06, 2014, 01:55:27 PM »
Libriarian jokes:  Do you have libraries still where you live?  They're shutting them all down here due to costs and the lack of interest because of our www.  Anyways, I love libraries, I look like a librarian.

I collect books.  Mostly reference, I give away all the fiction I go through.

Here's the jokes:

1)  David Beckham walks up to the counter at the library and loudly says I'll have a Big Mac, double cheese and extra ketchup, a large fries with mayo and a big coke and an hot apple pie.  

Nice Librarian lady says:  Hello, this is a library?

Dammit, this joke doesn't work when typed.  You have to whisper at this point:  David whispers: oh can I just have a big mac?

2)  Bloke rocks up at the counter in the library and announces he'd like a big book on suicide please?  

Librarian lady screams at him:  Fuck off get the hell out of here you'll never return that book

I'm useless at telling jokes, sorry.  But they are funny
xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #969 on: May 06, 2014, 02:19:50 PM »
Just finished and can recommend 'Child of a Hidden Sea' by A.M Dellamonica. She's a lesbian and it shows, but the writing is good and story fascinating.

Kinda stuck for something to read. Any recommendations? I enjoy high fantasy or historical fiction.

James Darling?  I can recommend some historical fiction.  In fact, there is probably a list some place of the 100 best novels.  I'll look it up for you.  Very few would be modern ones.  They'll all be old.

If you haven't read Jane Austen you could try that.  Pride and Predjuice and Sense and Sensibility?  Really lovely books and women will love you if you can quote Austen.  Honest.  Classic Chick Lit.

If you want something to truly get a sense of historical fiction try the Bible or Koran or the rest, only kidding...

I'd recommend "Of Human Bondage" written by Somerset Maugham.  It's set in Victorian times and is hugely descriptive.  Not only of wonderful words from 100+ years ago, but of emotions and the entire gamut of feeling which still ring true.  Such is proper enduring fiction.  That book made me cry.  I've read it 5 times and will read it again one day.  Looking forward.  One of my most favourite novels.  

Or try Russian literature, Tolskoi (Anna Karenina) and Dostoevsky (Crime and Punishment) are mindblowing

Read everything you can.  But be picky, there are millions of books and you have only so many years to read them.  Be choosey.

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #970 on: May 08, 2014, 06:37:14 AM »

I read this week in my newspaper that more than 1,000 books are translated into Spanish from English every year.  Yet no more than 1,000 books have ever been translated from English to Arabic.

I may have been reading a right-wing biased newsthread, with perhaps a skewed perspective and dodgy statistics, but nevertheless, it makes the mind boggle...

xxxL

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #971 on: May 14, 2014, 03:11:07 AM »
BODYWEIGHT STRENGHT TRAINING ANATOMY
By Bret Contreras
Publisher:Human Kinetics 2014

Illustrated guide to strength,power & definition !.
Excellent muscle illustrations.

$ 12.73 from amazon.com

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #972 on: May 17, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
Leaders Eat Last

by Simon Sinek
X

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #973 on: May 17, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »
Reading Carolla's latest, President Me. I was in tears 12 pages in. So far, just as funny as his other two.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #974 on: May 21, 2014, 04:34:56 AM »
Anyone turn me onto some good new science fiction?-----and Im not talking about the fantasy crap they often try  to pass as sci-fi