Author Topic: High protein and liver/kidneys  (Read 3486 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
High protein and liver/kidneys
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:35:07 AM »
After years of shoveling protein into my mouth at high volumes, i'm getting scared that just maybe my kidneys and liver aren't liking it.  The by-products protein digestion produces has been shown to be taxing on the liver and kidneys.

I don't know what i'm really asking for in this thread.   Just spouting off about high protein intakes i guess.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: High protein and liver/kidneys
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
Its not true for the kidneys, actually.  Recent research has shown that high or low protein, kidney function remains the same.  now, if you have an existing kidney condition, a high protein diet is not recommended, but for healthy people, there are no problems at all.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:38:27 PM »
After years of shoveling protein into my mouth at high volumes, i'm getting scared that just maybe my kidneys and liver aren't liking it.  The by-products protein digestion produces has been shown to be taxing on the liver and kidneys.

I don't know what i'm really asking for in this thread.   Just spouting off about high protein intakes i guess.

The greatest problem with a high protein diet is the acidosis it induces. The byproducts of protein metabolization, like urea and ammonia, are toxins that can kill you. A very high protein diet would kill you of gout or ammonia poisoning much before your kidneys fail. I would say that, for a healthy young male, a high(250-400 grams) protein diet a day is unlikely to have any side effect besides leaving you very tired. Digesting, processing and metabolizing all this protein takes an enormous amount of metabolic energy, leaving you tired and increasing the need for sleep. If you don't believe me, eat nothing but fruits for a few days and you'll see that your need for sleep dramatically decreases and your energy increases a lot. But you'll live. Now, an ultra-high protein diet(500+ grams day) can possibly kill you of metabolic acidosis and ammonia poisoning. For instance, most of Greg Kovac's severe health problems arrose from his ridiculous protein intake(up to 1,200 grams a day!!!!!!) rather than the use of steroids and GH.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »
 The greatest problem with a high protein diet is the acidosis it induces. The byproducts of protein metabolization, like urea and ammonia, are toxins that can kill you. A very high protein diet would kill you of gout or ammonia poisoning much before your kidneys fail. I would say that, for a healthy young male, a high(250-400 grams) protein diet a day is unlikely to have any side effect besides leaving you very tired. Digesting, processing and metabolizing all this protein takes an enormous amount of metabolic energy, leaving you tired and increasing the need for sleep. If you don't believe me, eat nothing but fruits for a few days and you'll see that your need for sleep dramatically decreases and your energy increases a lot. But you'll live. Now, an ultra-high protein diet(500+ grams day) can possibly kill you of metabolic acidosis and ammonia poisoning. For instance, most of Greg Kovac's severe health problems arrose from his ridiculous protein intake(up to 1,200 grams a day!!!!!!) rather than the use of steroids and GH.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Interesting stuff. I've often heard the general term "high protein" as in "A high protein diet is dangerous" but when the question is asked, "Define high protein" I never get an answer.

This is the first actual numbers I have heard that define "high protein" or in your case "ultra high" and I would like to read more about it. Can you direct me to where I might learn more about what constitutes a potentially fatal amount of protein?

The general population likely has no clue just how difficult it would be to actually consume a dangerous amount of protein and consider diets like Atkins to be dangerously high when in fact you may only be consuming 200 grams per day. It would be nice to have clarification on what is "high"

Thanks

Ag

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:21:37 PM »
Good info suck.
I'm getting bloodwork next month.  Should be telling.

chess315

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »
I have been pondering this very issue and thinking bout trying to use essintial amino acids as part of my protien count. at least at times

suckmymuscle

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »

Ok, first of all, stop typing in all caps. I am not joking about this. You have been officially warned.

IT'S THE 0THER WAY AR0UND. L0W PR0TEIN DIET WITH JUST FRUITS WILL LEAVE ANY0NE TIRED AS FUCK WITH A GAUNT FACE, TERRIBLE SKIN, AND N0 ENERGY. ST0P TR0LLING.

What???? This goes against logic, reason and common sense. How can eating foods that are of difficult metabolization leave you with more energy ??? Everyone feels lighter and more energetic after eating a few apples, than, say, eating fried pork. This is common sense. I don't need any studies to back this claim up because none are required. Anyone can do the experiment themselves and prove this. Eat nothing but fruit for a few days and observe how you need less sleep and how your energy increases. Fruits are mostly simple carbs which are of easy processing and metabolization so they are digested much easier than things like meat and fried stuff.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:46:10 AM »
H0W IS THIS GUY A M0DERAT0R? AFTER A C0UPLE DAYS 0F EATING 0NLY FRUIT Y0UR SKIN WILL BE GAUNT AND Y0U'LL HAVE N0 ENERGY BECAUSE Y0U'RE N0T TAKING IN THE TW0 M0ST IMP0RTANT MACR0NUTRIENTS F0R Y0UR B0DY. PR0TEIN AND FAT. FRUIT IS A N0N ESSENTIAL NUTRIENT. Y0U NEED FATTY ACIDS AND PR0TEIN F0R THE 0RGANS AND  PR0TEIN F0R THE SKIN. 0H AND MY KEYB0ARD IS BR0KEN. LETTER 0 D0ES N0T W0RK S0RRY.  >:(

He never said anything about taking in ZERO protein and ZERO fat. 

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
I QU0TE HIM. REPLY #6- SUCKMYMUSCLE- if you don't believe me, eat nothing  but fruits for a few days and you'll see that your need for sleep dramatically decreases and your energy increases a lot

D0 Y0U UNDERSTAND THE W0RD N0THING?  ???

Don't get sarcastic with me.  Period.

You're taking his statement a little too literal. 

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »
I QU0TE HIM. REPLY #6- SUCKMYMUSCLE- if you don't believe me, eat nothing  but fruits for a few days and you'll see that your need for sleep dramatically decreases and your energy increases a lot

D0 Y0U UNDERSTAND THE W0RD N0THING?  ???
Fruits have some protein too... small amounts...
S

lesaucer

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
any more than 1g per lbs of bodyweight is too much, IMO

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
any more than 1g per lbs of bodyweight is too much, IMO

And I wouldn't debate you on that, I'm just asking for scientific research that supports opinions. I had a trainer tell a client in my presence that he needed to eat 450 grams of protein. The guy was 50 yrs old, 170 lbs and about 5'9. I'm just looking for some studies that establish what is dangerously high protein..

suckmymuscle

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »
  Asbrus, I warned you of not typing in all caps, so there goes your posts. You can criticize me all you want, but not in all caps because that is like you are screaming. Do it again, and I will remove your posting priviledges in this board.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »
  Ok, first of all, stop typing in all caps. I am not joking about this. You have been officially warned.

What???? This goes against logic, reason and common sense. How can eating foods that are of difficult metabolization leave you with more energy ??? Everyone feels lighter and more energetic after eating a few apples, than, say, eating fried pork. This is common sense. I don't need any studies to back this claim up because none are required. Anyone can do the experiment themselves and prove this. Eat nothing but fruit for a few days and observe how you need less sleep and how your energy increases. Fruits are mostly simple carbs which are of easy processing and metabolization so they are digested much easier than things like meat and fried stuff.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I agree fruit is the easiest thing to digest.

wild caught fish and  a bowl of blueberries is the healthiest best muscle building breakfast known to man.
l

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 04:36:20 AM »
As long as you are having Urinalysis doen every year where BUN and Creatinine levels are checked...you will be ok