Author Topic: WBF (or more suitingly wtf)  (Read 8482 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: WBF (or more suitingly wtf)
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 08:50:23 AM »
WBF and XFL  ???

The man likes money wasting ventures.

WBF was killed by the steroid scandal around the WWF. Feds were up his behind; Ferrigno bailed; and (for at least PR purposes) he had to hire Dr. Mauro Dispasquale to test these guys for everything under the sun.

Mike Christian lost a month's check ($25,000) for popping positive.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
He came to compete but first he has to mow down a few ninjas with a machine gun. Take that Flex.

Here's a partial clip of Eddie from the first championship.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »
I love the announcer in the Gary S clip, he cracks me up.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »

That's the thing why I put "wtf" in the title. Never have I heard a grown man that excited over the mere sight of a muscle man in his battle thong. ;D

BIG_STI

• Getbig IV
  • www.illpumpyouup.com/
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 03:23:46 PM »
If I remember right Gary made 375k for his second year, that's probably more than anyone out side of the top 5 pros in the world will make in 10 - 20 years today and this was 20 years ago

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 03:50:52 PM »
"Top hat and a cane. Talk about stepping out for a night on the town. Oh my goodness!"

Papper

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
"Top hat and a cane. Talk about stepping out in for a night on the town in room 7. Oh my goodness!"

"Look at the striations!"

Yes. What are we else supposed to be looking at? The two girls? Naahhh  ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 07:12:31 AM »

That's Vince McMahon, the then-owner of the WBF. That's how he does commentary for wrestling. But, as mentioned earlier, he dubbed his voice (in that clip from BodyStars) over the actual commentators for the show, Greg Lewis and Tom Platz.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 09:00:29 AM »
If I remember right Gary made 375k for his second year, that's probably more than anyone out side of the top 5 pros in the world will make in 10 - 20 years today and this was 20 years ago

And that's why bodybuilder's contracts are for much higher pay than they used to be.  Shawn Ray was the golden boy of Weider but at the time I think he was only getting paid only 1000 dollars a month from his supplement contract at the time.  Now that doesn't count his ESPN contract or his prize money but when you see folks like Mike Christian making 25k a month from the WBF plus commission from action figures, magazine photoshoots, and the ICON supplement line, you tend to get a little jealous.

WBF allowed for bodybuilders to get much better compensation so it wasn't a complete failure. 

A

Sofa King

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »
That's the thing why I put "wtf" in the title. Never have I heard a grown man that excited over the mere sight of a muscle man in his battle thong. ;D

If you can find the video of Berry De Mey posing it literally sounds like Vince is violently humping the desk in front of him "AW YEAH, AW YEAH.... AW HE'S GOT IT! HE'S GOT IT ALL THIS GUY! AW NICE LOOK AT THOSE ABS, AW LOOK AT THEM!"

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 09:23:44 AM »

If you can find the video of Berry De Mey posing it literally sounds like Vince is violently humping the desk in front of him "AW YEAH, AW YEAH.... AW HE'S GOT IT! HE'S GOT IT ALL THIS GUY! AW NICE LOOK AT THOSE ABS, AW LOOK AT THEM!"

Dude, I am cracking up here!  ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »

That's from the second (1992) championship. I can't find DeMey's routine. But, to make your point about McMahon's enthusiasm during his commentary, here's Strydom's 1992 routine.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 03:15:35 PM »
This thread is killing me, seriously. Listening to Vince destroy his voice trying to kick up some excitement is priceless.

Papper

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »
That's from the second (1992) championship. I can't find DeMey's routine.

Master googler at work here. Starts at 4:00:

http://www.ganges.com/berry_demey_1992_wbf_championship_video_6657819/

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 03:33:25 PM »
Excessive "waddle..."

constant tongue in cheek (there has to be something to that)- stole that move from Shawn Ray? Afraid there might be some spinach (or worse) stuck in there?

Booooooyah!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 03:38:27 PM »
No wonder the WBF folded right quick!

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about, Vince is displaying the same demeanor that the thousands of men in attendance at the Mr. Olympia display as well.

The last Mr. Olympia I attended 2009, had grown men going insane, screaming out their favorite pro's name as they viciously posed across that stage.  The wives of these men merely served as armrests as these men snapped away and whistled their hearts out.

"1"

Sofa King

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
This thread is killing me, seriously. Listening to Vince destroy his voice trying to kick up some excitement is priceless.

He wasn't just trying to kick up the excitment he was actually obssessed with bodybuilding.

Difinitive history of the WBF.
http://pwchronicle.blogspot.com/2005/12/history-definitive-history-of-wbf.html

"McMahon was enamored with the bodybuilding lifestyle and through his World Wrestling Federation pushed awe-inspiring physiques above all else. Vince McMahon’s physique had been changing drastically in recent years as he experimented with steroids and moved closer to the body type of the professional wrestlers whom he employed. In the 1980's, when McMahon and his aids would gather to screen the NWA's pay-per-views, McMahon would often disappear to another room during unimportant matches with a set of dumbbells before returning several moments later sweaty and no longer wearing a shirt according to Muchnick." - Quote.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »
 ;D

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »
That's from the second (1992) championship. I can't find DeMey's routine. But, to make your point about McMahon's enthusiasm during his commentary, here's Strydom's 1992 routine.

lol, "Oh my goodness look at this majesty.  Look at that!  He's like an 18-wheeler."

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »
Is it Irony that this pathetic buffoonery is still better than today's embarrassing shows  ???
K

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
I would actually watch shows if the commentary was this entertaining.

Papper

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
Is it Irony that this pathetic buffoonery is still better than today's embarrassing shows  ???

It seems like a well made production with intro videos and stuff.

As late as the 2001, Mr O seemed to have a huge and elaborated stage with diagonal bridges, brighter lighting and thighter editing than the more recent ones. But maybe that was one of the last televised ones and more money behind it?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »
Here is the "The Future" Jim Quinn (1992)

And "The Jetman" Tony Pearson

I notice no one is busting on Tom Platz, who's going almost as nuts as McMahon is, especially when his friend and former rival, Tony Pearson, is on stage. He was not nearly as animated, doing commentary with Greg Lewis at the previous show.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Here's Quinn at the 1991 show (space helmet and all).