Author Topic: The dead zone (wost period of wrestling)  (Read 6217 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
The dead zone (wost period of wrestling)
« on: May 18, 2011, 02:31:46 PM »
When would you guys say it started and then really sank in?

93? 94? 95?

you all know what I'm talking about, that 3-4 year drout when we had guys like doink doing main events, lol

repo man, etc. etc.

I think everything started going downhill about late 93, early 94 all the top guys had left, VKM had his legal debacle

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: The dead zone (wost period of wrestling)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »
I would say it started around ‘92.
Negative press from the steroid & sex scandals damaged the WWF’s image, costing them consumer and sponsor-generated revenue.
The hokey “circus” product that ensued also saw them lose more viewers.

But, even as they moved away from the generation of clowns and garbage men, they were still in a downward spiral.
Read this quote from the April 21, 1996 edition of Dave Meltzer’s Wrestling Observer:

…Michaels did a superb job in 1996...however, let’s not rewrite history to say Shawn’s reign was Hogan-like from a business standpoint, because nothing could be further from the truth. TV ratings collapsed in June of 1996 on Shawn’s watch, not Bret’s, and reached company all time lows for the rest of the year. Not just Monday night ratings due to Nitro - ratings across the board. Syndication died. Shawn’s work in the ring can’t be denied…but the buy rates fell through his reign and it was during Shawn’s reign, for the first time in a decade that WWF in both PPV and TV ratings fell to no. 2 in the U.S....Let’s not forget that there were numerous cases of Michaels throwing unprofessional hissy fits throughout his title reign in the ring.

The upswing started with the inception of the “Attitude Era.”
That’s when Vince started climbing back up the mountain and finally beat WCW in the Monday Night Wars after trailing solidly for two years.
The two companies battled back & forth for the next several months, but at least Vince was once again able to compete with his product.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »
When WWF was shit in those years, WCW wasn't 1/2 as bad.

I think wrestling was at it's worst time when they had just bought WCW and ECW and fucked them both up.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 03:27:57 PM »
I guess we need to specify: the worst years for WWF, specifically, or the industry as a whole?

When I read the examples in Cap's post, my thoughts targeted WWE.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »
I do agree that at that time, WWF was horrendous... Koko B Ware... Ugh.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:40:23 PM »
I do agree that at that time, WWF was horrendous... FUTURE HALL OF FAMER Koko B Ware... Ugh.

Fixed.
 ;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »

Fixed.
 ;D

LOL

He's actually IN the Hall of fame... Which I will NEVER understand.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »

LOL

He's actually IN the Hall of fame... Which I will NEVER understand.

It's been well-documented that Vince often does things for Vince's own amusement.

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 05:38:25 PM »

Fixed.
 ;D

My brother was in jail with Coco beware... ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »
My brother was in jail with Coco beware... ;D

That's funny!

I know Koko's wife died from cancer the same year he was inducted into the HOF.
I wonder if that had any bearing on the decision to induct him that year.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 05:55:52 AM »
I guess we need to specify: the worst years for WWF, specifically, or the industry as a whole?

When I read the examples in Cap's post, my thoughts targeted WWE.
The steroid trial and sex scandal of the early to mid ninties along with the explosion of WCW and all the big names signing with them for way more money was what started the downward spiral. Monty's post was spot on and so was the Dave Meltzer report.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 06:04:51 PM »
When world titles lost their importance and became props to swap around each week.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 05:39:58 AM »
When would you guys say it started and then really sank in?

93? 94? 95?

you all know what I'm talking about, that 3-4 year drout when we had guys like doink doing main events, lol

repo man, etc. etc.

I think everything started going downhill about late 93, early 94 all the top guys had left, VKM had his legal debacle

You are referring to the "New Generation" era.

I would say it started around ‘92.
Negative press from the steroid & sex scandals damaged the WWF’s image, costing them consumer and sponsor-generated revenue.
The hokey “circus” product that ensued also saw them lose more viewers.

But, even as they moved away from the generation of clowns and garbage men, they were still in a downward spiral.
Read this quote from the April 21, 1996 edition of Dave Meltzer’s Wrestling Observer:

The upswing started with the inception of the “Attitude Era.”
That’s when Vince started climbing back up the mountain and finally beat WCW in the Monday Night Wars after trailing solidly for two years.
The two companies battled back & forth for the next several months, but at least Vince was once again able to compete with his product.

I think Diesel and Razor leaving, only to pop up at WCW has a little something to do with the climb. After all, Diesel was WWF champion for a year; Razor was IC champion 4 times. Those were two of the big headliners.

McMahon tried to up the ante with the Ultimate Warrior, but we all know that went south with his no-showing (which led to his suspension and "ultimate" termination). That's probably why he brought back Psycho Sid, who eventually beat Shawn for the title.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
The dead zone is right now in present day. How anyone can watch the product that WWE has become is beyond me. Just simply awful and way too commercialized. Monopolizing the market doesn't always work. The product almost always will suffer greatly without respectable competition.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »
Yes right now the wwe does suck. but they have finally made the decision to promote new fresh talent. new names, fresh blood. It had to be done.

on the other hand tna impact is bringing in the veteran wrestler, just like wcw did. hopefully, tna learned from the wcw mistakes. wcw brought in the veterans and failed to mix in the young faces and get the vets to put the new guys over. tna should have some individual newbie's start feuds with individual vets. instead of rvd & somao joe, how about aj styles vs rvd, somao joe vs hmm see, I can't think of any fresh talent in tna...
sept 10th APF

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 03:10:32 PM »
on the other hand tna impact is bringing in the veteran wrestler, just like wcw did. hopefully, tna learned from the wcw mistakes.

One big problem with that is some of the people who have the most power now are the same ones who had unlimited power in WCW.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »
They put the strap on Kennedy... I mean Anderson... WCW would have never done that.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 06:55:46 PM »

One big problem with that is some of the people who have the most power now are the same ones who had unlimited power in WCW.

that's my point... hopefully they have learned their lesson from their past mistakes.
sept 10th APF

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 07:14:34 PM »
They put the strap on Kennedy... I mean Anderson... WCW would have never done that.

It's a start...
I'd love to know whose idea that really was.

that's my point... hopefully they have learned their lesson from their past mistakes.

Even if they haven't, at least with Hogan unable to wrestle full-time, he can't book himself in all the best programs.
However, as long as he occupies an on-air role, he can still take time & opportunities away from guys who are more deserving, and/or need the exposure.

Dixie needs to put her foot down, too.
Perhaps the biggest/most important lesson she can learn is: DON'T BECOME ANOTHER "TED TURNER" BY ALLOWING OTHERS TO RUN YOUR COMPANY!!! Ownership of any business is NOT a passive role.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 04:40:26 AM »
98-2001 was best, all other yrs including current suck...