Author Topic: Reasons for the few champions...?  (Read 3639 times)

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Reasons for the few champions...?
« on: May 06, 2006, 04:08:21 AM »
I hear all this talk about how the olympia always goes to the same guy as last year etc. Have you really stopped to think about possible explanations for this? It seems pretty obvious to me, as the whole thing with the mr. Olympia status is that not so many people has had that title. If we got a new name every year, the magic would be gone. It would be just another show. I'm sure the powers that be want the title to be more exclusive, than for example the AC title. Although it can be made a point that Ronnie should be on the end of his reign now, they will surely give the title to someone who has many years left in the sport. That's why Jay may not be given the title at all, because he will most likely retire the year after he got the title, thereby adding Mr. Olympias to the list faster than "they" want. Admit it, lots of the reason people are looking forward to the Olympia, and talking about it, is whether the current champ can be beaten this year. We can debate and argue and call bullshit as much as we want about that "the Olympia is fixed" and such, but if it wasn't this way, we would pretty much lose interest. It's a shame, but I think it's true. They are really pushing it now though, but I guess they are just waiting for the next one good enough to have the crown for several years.

tweeter

• Getbig IV
Re: Reasons for the few champions...?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 04:15:42 AM »
Personally, I would look forward to the Olympia more if I felt there was a chance of the champ losing. Also, I feel that it would be a more prestigious contest if it represented who was the best on that day, not who was the best in the past.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 04:17:14 AM »
Can you think of ANY other sport where the champions hold the title usually until they retire?

Arnold,Heney,Dorian,Coleman...

I can't think of any.

OBVIOUSLY something is afoot in the bodybuilding world behind the closed doors so that the same guys hold the title year after year after year until they retire.

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 04:29:37 AM »
Personally, I would look forward to the Olympia more if I felt there was a chance of the champ losing. Also, I feel that it would be a more prestigious contest if it represented who was the best on that day, not who was the best in the past.

That's the thing. It's just a matter of how long this would still be entertaining. It wouldn't be the same thing if someone new won each year. Would you still be feeling the same way? The whole "the champ losing" thing would be void. I guess a lot of the appeal of the Olympia lies in this, disagree about it we might, but I think it's a valid point.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 04:37:42 AM »
Ronnie will retire in a few years and then Cutler will take over and hold the title for another 10 years....

We'll go through all of the bullshit "up & comers" the magazines push as the "next champion" and they'll all flop like Federov did last year.

Bullshit..Bullshit and more Bullshit

It just isn't possible that someone can hold that title for that long. We don't see this in any other sport. It's probably completly stated IMO. Probably based on who does the most "favors" for the judges.

It simply isn't entertaining except to muscle worshiping homosexuals. That's simple as that.

Fuck the IFBB and Fuck Wieder...Fuck 99% of Bodybuilders who think they can make a life and career out of this joke of an occupation when are in reality only deluding themselves and waisting their life away on a lost cause.

Don't try to become a Pro....GO to collegue and get a real job.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 04:46:29 AM »
Ronnie will retire in a few years and then Cutler will take over and hold the title for another 10 years....

We'll go through all of the bullshit "up & comers" the magazines push as the "next champion" and they'll all flop like Federov did last year.

Bullshit..Bullshit and more Bullshit

It just isn't possible that someone can hold that title for that long. We don't see this in any other sport. It's probably completly stated IMO. Probably based on who does the most "favors" for the judges.

It simply isn't entertaining except to muscle worshiping homosexuals. That's simple as that.

f**k the IFBB and f**k Wieder...f**k 99% of Bodybuilders who think they can make a life and career out of this joke of an occupation when are in reality only deluding themselves and waisting their life away on a lost cause.

" Collegue " really paid off for you huh?  ;)

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 06:29:21 AM »
" Collegue " really paid off for you huh?  ;)

Listen jackass...

1.You can get through "college" without being able to spell worth a shit.

2.English isn't my first language.

3.That was more of a "mistype" than a "mispell".

4.Attacking someones spelling is just weak.

5.You're a fag.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 06:40:58 AM »
I think that the reason for so few champions is that, for the most part, the champion actually deserved to win.

eg. most of Haney's wins were legit.

Most of Ronnie's wins were legit

most of dorians wins were..well..lets just say that those dark ages are over 8)
Flower Boy Ran Away

Santa Claus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 07:06:13 AM »
So are you all saying that my points pretty much are void? There's no chance that it may be some truth to it? A title's worth decreases with an increasing number of title holders. I would think they would want the number of title holders to be low. The Olympia is still the golden calf for new and upcoming bodybuilders, and I'm pretty sure that's what "the powers that be" wants it to remain.

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 07:09:09 AM »

Listen jackass...

1.You can get through "college" without being able to spell worth a shit.

2.English isn't my first language.

3.That was more of a "mistype" than a "mispell".

4.Attacking someones spelling is just weak.

5.You're a fag.

LOL!
Motherboy (the band).

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 07:24:32 AM »

I just laughed out loud at the thought of this...

The NFL decides to invent a game called the Terrific Bowl, which would allow a handpicked field of aging, backup players to compete in a rigged game.  The final score would be 63-0 (although fans couldn't see the scoreboard), and Terrific Bowl I MVP would be Troy Vincent, who also happens to be the NFL Athlete's Rep. 

Later, when the XFL arrives and offers bigger paychecks and more fairly called games than the NFL, Athlete's Rep Troy Vincent would go on ESPN and bash the creator, Vince McMahon.  Then, he'd encourage all athletes to STAY with the NFL for less money, rigged contests, and no change at advancement.

And they wonder why BBing isn't mainstream yet...

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 07:45:28 AM »
are you suggesting that these shows are not really pure contests?

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 07:52:17 AM »

Interesting observation.
Are you saying that if a new champion was crowned each year the shows would have more appeal to the mass market?
Of course, the homosexuals would have to find other interests?
Are your assumptions from the viewpoint of the engine driver or the guy who gets the reach around?

crc69

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 07:56:29 AM »
Can you think of ANY other sport where the champions hold the title usually until they retire?.

It was exactly the case with L. Armstrong : really boring to see the same doped man at first place in "Tour de France"....

bigmo6891

• Getbig III
  • wus real good
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 07:58:45 AM »

LOL..... you spelled college wrong
Never Big Enough

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 08:02:03 AM »
Todays Mr Olympia is rewarded to the biggest and freakiest bodybuilders and Ronnie is lightyears ahead of almost everyone.

NO ONE will be Ronnie until he retires.
Jay will be Mr Olympia when he does.
Aesthetics will NEVER be rewarded over mass.

Cold, hard facts. Don't like, don't watch.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 08:02:35 AM »
I guess a lot of the appeal of the Olympia lies in this, disagree about it we might, but I think it's a valid point.

You're stupid.

That is all.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 08:03:24 AM »
its allot like tv wrestling, you may enjoy the show but even if you don't know who wins you still feel it was done in a back room and decided before the event.

the problem with the winners is once they are choosen the best then for the most part if they come back there flaws are overlooked as to give credence to there selection of champion.so you get guys "holding the belt" knowing they have a sort of built in bunch of points given to them each contest as being the winner, so if you keep coming back with the same group of guys to justify the judges picks they keep winning by default.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 08:04:23 AM »
The Olympia is still the golden calf for new and upcoming bodybuilders,

They haven't learned about the Arnold yet, but they will.

and I'm pretty sure that's what "the powers that be" wants it to remain.

They'll all be dead soon.