Author Topic: Why I quit competing in BB contests. Maybe you can relate?  (Read 7478 times)

w8m8

Re: Why I quit competing in BB contests. Maybe you can relate?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 05:50:43 AM »
Howard, you're like the older version of Matt C.  :-X

maybe it's just time for both of us to shut up and act like men instead of stupid schmoes .

THIS

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 06:19:01 AM »
I was around the whole bodybuilding explosion when I was in high school and college. I have known so many guys that have thrown away there future chasing the dream.  Everything revolved around the gym and getting money to buy bodybuilding drugs out of the trunk of a car in the gym parking lot.  These guys put bodybuilding first instead of their future.  Future career and education toward a career took a back seat.  Then due to finances, health, or criminal arrest they stopped juicing in their 30's and realized they had nothing. A lot of them look like crap now. One even said that lifting without steroids is a waste of time.

I understand if a guy wants to compete.  I also understand if a guy now trains for other goals like real fitness as they get older.  One thing is for sure. Never stop training.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 06:31:10 AM »
Howard and Matt C talking about their bodybuilding careers and why they quit....  ::) ::)

getbig version of "Gorilla Suit"...

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 06:49:48 AM »
Howard and Matt C talking about their bodybuilding careers and why they quit....  ::) ::)

getbig version of "Gorilla Suit"...

Like anybody gives a fuck ::)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 07:15:08 AM »

I only needed to read half of 3 posts to realize that getting involved in this thread would be like stabbing myself in the eyes with an ice pick...repeatedly. 

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »
I only needed to read half of 3 posts to realize that getting involved in this thread would be like stabbing myself in the eyes with an ice pick...repeatedly. 
LOL, and pretty much matches the basic feeling I get when I think about ever getting in a BB contest again.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »
I was around the whole bodybuilding explosion when I was in high school and college. I have known so many guys that have thrown away there future chasing the dream.  Everything revolved around the gym and getting money to buy bodybuilding drugs out of the trunk of a car in the gym parking lot.  These guys put bodybuilding first instead of their future.  Future career and education toward a career took a back seat.  Then due to finances, health, or criminal arrest they stopped juicing in their 30's and realized they had nothing. A lot of them look like crap now. One even said that lifting without steroids is a waste of time.

I understand if a guy wants to compete.  I also understand if a guy now trains for other goals like real fitness as they get older.  One thing is for sure. Never stop training.
great post!

I know plenty f former bodybuilders that got way too caught up in bodybuilding and let the rest of their lives go.
I don't blame bodybuilding alone on THAT. That kind of loser is always going to have some kind of excuse why they never did anything meaningful with their life.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
Sounds to me like Howard misses competing,and is crying because now he wishes he never stopped!!  :(

Competing is tough,but not rocket science...............sa me as any other sport, you have to put some time/prep into.

Right now I`m dieting for a contest.........I normally train 5 x a week as a rule...........now I`m training an extra day per week!!

Big fucking deal,an extra hour or so on a weekend day spent at the gym instead of laying around drinking beer and eating chips and burgers.

WOW!!

Not a big deal in my book if you workout and eat food on a daily basis like most here do........you just eat a lot different is all.

As a rule,I eat 6 x a day............I`m still eating 6 x a day for the upcoming show so no real added pressure there!!

WOW!!

I don`t know if I can take the fucking stress...........nothing`s changed except I`m eating better!!  LOL  ;D

The only thing that`s really changed timewise is I`m doing more cardio,my diet is tighter,and I`m training as hard as possible with an added day with minimal carbs.............I always train hard anyway,again no biggie,the eating part is making me look and feel much better as there is no junk in it whatsoever,and cardio has gotten rid of all the useless fat I was carrying.

Sounds like a "win"/ "win" situation to me.

Extra time practicing a posing routine...........not all that much..........barely noticeable,it just means I may have to miss a bit of TV or some other such time waster I do,just as we all do every day.

In the end I do it for me, and it`s truly hard, but so is training in general and eating right............if it was easy we`d all be walking around at 5 % bf on a daily basis just like Howard used to but since he stopped he`s more like 30 % bf these days.

Age is no reason to get sloppy especially if still working out regularly............... .....it`s the discipline to eat right that usually goes first.

DISCIPLINE is the  hardest part, and you can burn out ,that`s the time to rest up, but if like to compete,after a good rest,you do your annual competing or whatever you do in your particular case personally.

It`s not like you`re prepping for a zillion contests in a row..........after it`s over,back to normal which,means a looser diet and one less day at the gym in my case.

Of course it`s tough,but so is competing in any sport................esp ecially for a regular guy who has to work a regular job.
No question that plenty of people compete in bodybuilding and live well rounded, productive lives.
I was never one of them. I was always guilty of feeling I had to put other aspects of my life on hold to compete. Maybe it is a personality thing?
bodybuilding was a unique capter in my life but ended back in 1995.
I've moved on to other areas of interest and hobbys.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 04:39:04 AM »
This is Getbig Howard. We are not common here....we are special.

Truer words have never been spoken...

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 06:20:13 AM »

Special as in short bus special ;D ???

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 08:46:57 AM »
Why don't you just give it a try Howard?

If you see that you don't have enough time for your life just stop.

In the process at least you'll get a good body for the beach
North of Italy

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 04:11:28 PM »
Why don't you just give it a try Howard?

If you see that you don't have enough time for your life just stop.

In the process at least you'll get a good body for the beach
I hear ya , but I honestly think you missed the meaning behind my thread.
When I competed I always felt like most of my life was "on hold". I was curious if others felt like that who competed.
I enjoy being a fan of bodybuilding now but have no serious desire to get back on stage.
I would like to be leaner with better abs for strictly personal reasons, no question about that.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »
LOL, good one.
hey Bob , did you ever feel like you had to put some of your life on hold when you competed?
Just curious thanks.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »

Like anybody gives a fuck ::)
That is part of the reason I don't think getting back on stage matters .
In any show I would be in , you have a few hundred "fans" at best in the crowd.
Most wan't know or care when you on stage posing unless you win the open overall.