Author Topic: Car People: Fact or Fiction?  (Read 7492 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Car People: Fact or Fiction?
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 07:07:02 PM »
I still don`t understand why a car manufacture won`t just make at least one of their cars, perfect it and NEVER change it really similar to what VW did a long time with the beetle.  

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 07:09:43 PM »
I still don`t understand why a car manufacture won`t just make at least one of their cars, perfect it and NEVER change it really similar to what VW did a long time with the beetle.  

Because the market demands a new model every year or so and people don't WANT to drive one car for ten years.

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 07:11:08 PM »

Government intrusion demands unattainable fuel consumption, emissions, and safety targets for older designs.

65stew

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 07:26:37 PM »
Mercedes?

Oh how I wish. No, it's a 1998 Toyota Corolla that I bought new. Can't complain though, been a great car. Never had the engine or transmission rebuilt. Still gets over 35mpg.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
While we're on the subject I've seen quite a few mid 2000 Hyundai/Kia automobiles with over 200k on them and they're still running well.  Sure we've seen a few of the 2.0l lose head gaskets and lock the engine but if properly maintained they are built solid and similar to the early 90's Japanese cars and you can absolutely steal one due to depreciation.

Who would've thought.

Us chinamen engineer our cars real well, Mr. Chun.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
I had a '67 ragtop, drove it everyday, all over the place, never had a problem.

Until someone stole it. :(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »
Oh how I wish. No, it's a 1998 Toyota Corolla that I bought new. Can't complain though, been a great car. Never had the engine or transmission rebuilt. Still gets over 35mpg.
 Don`t ever get rid of it.  I bet if you make it to 500,000 and contact Toyota they may do something unexpected for you.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 07:29:42 PM »
Driving your car long distances (over 1k miles straight) is very hard on the engine and can shorten the lifespan of your car.

I need to make a long trip and i'm trying to decide if i'd be better off driving straight (NJ to Ft Lauderdale) or heading down to VA and putting the car on the Amtrak auto train.  I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with 98k on it.  

That's low miles for it's year.  Take care of it and you have a lonnnggg way to go.

Change the oil,...then if you have time/money...flush cooling system (also, when you top off coolant in the radiator, use distilled/deionized water),...check the belts,...power steering fluids,...if the battery is more than four years old, change it.
 and check the oil occasionally along the way and if it turns up low - DO NOT over fill it.

Driving long distances in the heat can be tough on transmissions. Keep your speeds under 75 and have your transmission fluid changed when you get to Florida and you should be fine.  Treat your car right and it will treat you right.
 Not really.  It's the city driving that's hard on trannys.  Should'nt be necessary changing it, unless the owners manual suggests it at that mileage.

put the garden hose in the exhaust pipe, while the car is running, open up the water on full blast. You must flush it out that way after a long trip.

DO NOT
do that ^

At the very very least, take it to Vavoline for an oil change before you leave.  Make sure the tires are properly inflated.  Maybe even have them rotated if it's been awhile.
:

Cliff Clavin

• Getbig II
  • It's a little known fact
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 07:32:47 PM »
So I gather that you have 20k-80k to piss on a new car? Or are you talking about a good used car, which will run 8-20k, or are you talking a "piece of a car", like a police auction police cruiser (which has been run into the ground)?

not sure if you buy your cars off dealers or what but i've paid far less than 8-20 grand for good cars that lasted me many many years with no major issues...

65stew

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 07:35:42 PM »
 Don`t ever get rid of it.  I bet if you make it to 500,000 and contact Toyota they may do something unexpected for you.

I was hoping for that. I sent a picture of the odometer to Toyota when it hit 400k and they sent a response back to the effect of "wow, great job" like it happens all the time when I know it doesn't by reading posts of people proud when there car tops 150k miles. lol

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 07:36:46 PM »
I had a '67 ragtop, drove it everyday, all over the place, never had a problem.

Until someone stole it. :(
I had a 1967 Cadillac Deville Convertible a few years ago but I sold it rather fast as the lady I bought it from, called me up and asked me if I would like to resell it for a few thousand more than I bought it for.  I told her of course (I only had it for about two months and was not really attached to it since I used to have a 59 Cadillac Coupe Deville) and off to Los Angeles California it went.  I have always driven cars as much as I can and anywhere possible. The cars that sit in the garage and that nobody drives are the ones you have to be weary of (unless you want a car that you don`t drive).

The last classic car I had was in 2006 and it was a 1960 Plymouth Fury 413 with Golden Commando Badges.  I bought it from Texas and it was what was known as a Mule Car which is a term for a concept car or proving grounds car.  Normally they didn`t come with a 413 but this one did from the factory and was the same setup they used in the Stock Car Races.  Don Petty, Richard Petty`s cousin contacted me and he wanted it for display so I sold it to him.  I only had that one a few months as well and probably should have held on to it, but I am glad it went back to the Petty family as that is where it belongs.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »
I drove from DC to Florida last year, was great, car still seems to be working just fine LOL.

Last month my dad put his car on the Amtrak from Virginia to Florida, had very good things to say about the trip, but he had a first class ticket/ room.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »
I drove from DC to Florida last year, was great, car still seems to be working just fine LOL.

Last month my dad put his car on the Amtrak from Virginia to Florida, had very good things to say about the trip, but he had a first class ticket/ room.

wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to simply get a rental car in Florida?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »
not sure if you buy your cars off dealers or what but i've paid far less than 8-20 grand for good cars that lasted me many many years with no major issues...
Define good cars. And are you talking private owners?
Preventive maintenance can make any car last long, even a car that is a piece of shit....
Had a uncle that drove a 66 Pontiac Catalina from 1966 to 2005 as a daily driver. He knew how to kep it running.

chunkramwell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 10:04:18 PM »
Us chinamen engineer our cars real well, Mr. Chun.

If you fellas could just get the hang of driving them what a world it would be.

Cliff Clavin

• Getbig II
  • It's a little known fact
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »
Define good cars. And are you talking private owners?
Preventive maintenance can make any car last long, even a car that is a piece of shit....
Had a uncle that drove a 66 Pontiac Catalina from 1966 to 2005 as a daily driver. He knew how to kep it running.
well i bought a 02 lincoln navigator from an auction for $7,500 when gas 1st hit $4 in 2008 and everyone thought i was retarded.. just sold it for $7,000 after putting 25,000miles on it without doing anything other than changing oil...now whos laughin  :)

I also owned a monte carlo supersport that i bought 15 years ago for $2,000 and sold to a relative just a few years back and last time i talked to them it had 225,000 miles on the original motor...I could go on...but no point...If you buy off a dealer yea your gonna pay in the price range you said...I've never bought off a dealer in my life and never will...Only private sellers and auctions...and if you do your homework and are patient and know how to barter well you can get a car in the $3,000-$8,000 range that is a good reliable vehicle...all that being said...i acknowledge anytime you buy a car you take a gamble...lemons happen...

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 10:59:01 PM »
Driving your car long distances (over 1k miles straight) is very hard on the engine and can shorten the lifespan of your car.

I need to make a long trip and i'm trying to decide if i'd be better off driving straight (NJ to Ft Lauderdale) or heading down to VA and putting the car on the Amtrak auto train.  I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with 98k on it.  
Your suv should be fine. Just change/check all fluids. oil filter, air filter, maybe fuel filter.
it is actually harder on the engine to be in stop and go traffic.
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 11:52:46 PM »
Driving long distances in the heat can be tough on transmissions.  Keep your speeds under 75 and have your transmission fluid changed when you get to Florida and you should be fine.  Treat your car right and it will treat you right.

That's hilarious,

I've got 345,000 miles on my 2002 E Class and I only change the Fluid every 100k miles...

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2011, 12:00:01 AM »

I believe you have bad information. I bought a car once that had over 100,000 miles on it. They were all highway miles. I drove it for another 100,000 miles before I needed to replace the engine. It was a '73 Super Beetle. Best car ever. Gave it to my daughter when she was sixteen. She drove the piss out of it and then sold it. Now she wishes she still had it and so do I. Fortunately, VW is coming out with a new Beetle this year that actually looks like the old one. Hmm?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2011, 12:01:46 AM »
I believe you have bad information. I bought a car once that had over 100,000 miles on it. They were all highway miles. I drove it for another 100,000 miles before I needed to replace the engine. It was a '73 Super Beetle. Best car ever. Gave it to my daughter when she was sixteen. She drove the piss out of it and then sold it. Now she wishes she still had it and so do I. Fortunately, VW is coming out with a new Beetle this year that actually looks like the old one. Hmm?

Why did those ass holes at VW put the engine in the front of the new beetles? 

Pissed me off big time...

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2011, 12:45:19 AM »
Nobody likes a "garage queen" ~ I don't give a shit what kind of car it is, it was made to be driven, not parked and stared at.

Drive it.

I put those miles on a car that a lot of homos like to park in their garages. They think these particular vehicles will somehow 'melt' in the rain. I've had four of them.

Just drive the S.O.B.

How else are you gonna figure out what it was made for? By asking on a bodybuilding forum?

Oh yeah, guess so. My bad.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2011, 01:05:30 AM »
Nobody likes a "garage queen" ~ I don't give a shit what kind of car it is, it was made to be driven, not parked and stared at.

Drive it.

I put those miles on a car that a lot of homos like to park in their garages. They think these particular vehicles will somehow 'melt' in the rain. I've had four of them.

Just drive the S.O.B.

How else are you gonna figure out what it was made for? By asking on a bodybuilding forum?

Oh yeah, guess so. My bad.
VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!! 300,000 miles on a Corvette.  I always hear they are built to last.  I bet at 300k the performance is not any different really, is it?

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2011, 02:15:52 AM »
Mercedes?
like the w124 mercedes diesel. best mercedes ever

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2011, 02:38:26 AM »
like the w124 mercedes diesel. best mercedes ever

I've been told you can literally almost take an AK47 to one of those diesel engines, and still start it right up and drive away.