Author Topic: Cam Newton.....star or bust?  (Read 21780 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Cam Newton.....star or bust?
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 07:50:11 AM »
Let's see how well he plays as the season unfolds and how defenses adjust to his style of play.

Arizona's defense was not expecting Newton to throw the football as much as he did. They were likely anticipating him taking off and running, once he looked off his first read. He showed very surprising poise in the pocket for a rookie. He knows he's now playing on the elite level and that he can trust his lineman to give him protection.

He's the real deal for sure, but I'd be very surprised if he has another breakout game like that as the season progresses.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 10:37:24 AM »
Really, cam throws for 422/2 td's and know one has anything to say? I don't think even his biggest supporters wouldve imagined what he did yesterday.

Even though the they were playing arizona, it was clear the guy has the tools to play the position.

first time I've been on here since the game.....he looked great, but it's only one game.  Once defenses begin to adjust to him, we will see how he reacts and develops.  Happy he got off to a good start and the Panthers are way more exciting with him on the field than the last 2 or 3 yrs.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 01:03:10 PM »
Say what you will......

The man is a winner!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 01:14:59 PM »
Say what you will......

The man is a winner!

Ummmm, Panthers are 0-2...... :-\    He's certainly more exciting, but they have gotten away from using two very good RB's, need more balance on offense.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 01:30:51 PM »
Ummmm, Panthers are 0-2...... :-\    He's certainly more exciting, but they have gotten away from using two very good RB's, need more balance on offense.
The season has just started.....give Cam some time.....I agree with you....they need to give the ball to Deangelo Williams!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »

Yes, they are 0-2...but both games have come down to a failed 4th down conversion deep in the opponents' territory...teams lose games this way, then start to win games this way. 

Of course, it seems like throughout their history, the Panthers, regardless of their record, seem to rarely lose..or win..games by more than 10 points.  Cardiac Cats.
~

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 04:05:38 PM »
It's hard to say, but right now, he's looked good. Let's revisit this after 8 games.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »

Didn't Cam throw for another 400yd game this past Sunday?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »
I'm still pissed the 49ers passed on Aaron Rogers and went with Alex Smith...and they've signed Smith to yet another year! I can't believe it, after all this time with a shit qb and now we've gotten at least one more year with him?!?!

Yep.  One of the worst mistakes in Niner drafting history. 

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »
Cam is still rolling!!!!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »
 :-\

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
:-\

Steelers shoud have traded up for him.

he would have fit great in our system.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 12:40:41 PM »
Steelers shoud have traded up for him.

he would have fit great in our system.

Never happen with Big Ben being relatively young.  The Panthers REALLY need to find some WR help for Smith....just like they have needed to do for the last 5 or 6 yrs and haven't.  A rookie will have bumps in the road, but I think he will bounce back.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2012, 02:08:31 PM »
Outstanding season.  After his rookie season he is certainly more "star" than "bust." 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »
Yeah i thought bust for sure. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 04:46:30 AM »
Yeah i thought bust for sure. 

I did too and now readily admit I was 100% wrong.  He can flat-out play.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 04:58:30 AM »
I did too and now readily admit I was 100% wrong.  He can flat-out play.

You weren't wrong...you just said you weren't sold on him.

I also wasn't wrong.  I merely expressed concern that if he got out of shape, people would call him Fig Newton.

I didn't see Sunday's game...out of town and got stuck with the Eagles-Redskins. 
~

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »
Cam Newton added to NFC team
ESPN.com news services

Cam Newton will cap off his remarkable rookie season with a trip to the Pro Bowl.

The Carolina Panthers quarterback was added to the NFC's roster in place of Eli Manning on Monday after Manning's New York Giants advanced to the Super Bowl to play the New England Patriots.

"It's obviously a tribute to him and says a lot about his work ethic and his approach to the game," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said during a telephone interview from the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. But "it's not just one person, and Cam will certainly tell you that. A lot of people contributed to him reaching that goal. In this game, you are only as good as the people around you."

Another top rookie quarterback also was added to the Pro Bowl game Monday when the Cincinnati Bengals' Andy Dalton was named to the AFC team.

Two of Dalton's teammates, defensive tackle Geno Atkins and tight end Jermaine Gresham, also were added to the team.

Dalton and Atkins, both of whom were first alternates, replace New England's Tom Brady and Vince Wilfork, respectively. Gresham, a third alternate, steps in for Rob Gronkowski.

Chicago Bears defensive end Julius Peppers also was added to the NFC roster Monday, replacing the Giants' Jason Pierre-Paul. Peppers, who had a team-high 11 sacks, makes his seventh Pro Bowl in 10 seasons. He is the first Bears defensive end to make two straight Pro Bowls since Richard Dent in 1984-85.

New York Jets guard Brandon Moore will take the place of the Patriots' Logan Mankins.

Other AFC replacements for Patriots players include Jacksonville special teamer Montell Owens (Matthew Slater), Baltimore guard Ben Grubbs (Brian Waters) and San Diego wide receiver Vincent Jackson (Wes Welker).

Newton revitalized the Panthers in his rookie season, setting an NFL record for rushing touchdowns in a season by a quarterback (14) and becoming the first player in league history to throw for 4,000 yards and rush for 500 in the same year.

Newton threw for 4,051 yards and 21 touchdowns, and rushed for 14 scores, and is a strong contender for The Associated Press' Offensive Rookie of the Year award despite 17 interceptions.

The Panthers went from last in the league in total offense in 2010 to being ranked seventh in 2011, setting a franchise record with 6,237 yards. Carolina scored 47 touchdowns this year on offense -- up from 16 last season -- after selecting Newton with the No. 1 overall pick.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera had pushed for Newton to be one of the three NFC quarterbacks selected to the Pro Bowl, but the rookie was beaten out by Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, New Orleans' Drew Brees and Manning. Newton was selected as the first alternate ahead of Atlanta's Matt Ryan, Detroit's Matthew Stafford and San Francisco's Alex Smith.

Still, Rivera felt Newton was deserving of the honor.

"He set a standard, a very high standard for any rookie quarterback coming in, and he wants to improve," Rivera said. "He's gotten better in so many different areas. His basic fundamentals just continue to get better and better. Mentally, he's getting the grasp of this offense. He's understanding defenses better and better. You're starting to see leadership come out of him. He's really taken his game to next level, and there's so much room for him to grow. He's got such a high ceiling."

The Pro Bowl will be played Sunday in Honolulu at 7 p.m. ET.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7492944/2012-pro-bowl-carolina-panthers-cam-newton-added-nfc-roster

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 07:06:50 PM »
Yep.  One of the worst mistakes in Niner drafting history. 

You still think this?

He got to the NFC championship... Still the "one of the worst mistakes in Niner drafting history"?

LOL.

Foot in mouth.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »
You still think this?

He got to the NFC championship... Still the "one of the worst mistakes in Niner drafting history"?

LOL.

Foot in mouth.

lol.  Of course.  They drafted him over Aaron Rogers.  You've already convinced me you're not very bright, so quit trying already.  lol   

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »
You still think this?

LOL.

Foot in mouth.

Smith did his homework this year and really became a far different quarterback, had a career year.

But this was his 7th year in the NFL, six of them being absolutely hated by me and most other SF fans. One good year, especially one out of 7, doesn't mean the guy is suddenly elite.

I commend the guy for doing his work, turning it around this year and we will see what happens from this point forward. But goddamn I'm so sick and tired of hearing the AS story 20x a day around here. Yes, it was inspiring the first 1-3 times I heard it, now the last 100435 times I've heard it I wanna puke.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 11:30:31 PM »
lol.  Of course.  They drafted him over Aaron Rogers.  You've already convinced me you're not very bright, so quit trying already.  lol  

You are an idiot. So what if they skipped Rogers to get him?

For someone who says shit about  football (and according to you, you aren't watching the super bowl this year, so already your opinion is worthless) you dont even know shit about your own team.

Dexter Carter, Rashaun Woods, and Jim Drunkenmiller are all worst busts than Alex smith. You are an idiot.

Smith did his homework this year and really became a far different quarterback, had a career year.

But this was his 7th year in the NFL, six of them being absolutely hated by me and most other SF fans. One good year, especially one out of 7, doesn't mean the guy is suddenly elite.

I commend the guy for doing his work, turning it around this year and we will see what happens from this point forward. But goddamn I'm so sick and tired of hearing the AS story 20x a day around here. Yes, it was inspiring the first 1-3 times I heard it, now the last 100435 times I've heard it I wanna puke.

I'm not saying he's elite.

I'm saying he's not the worst bust he 49ers ever had in a draft.

Mark is an idiot and knows almost nothing about football.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »
cam newton great rookie season, 4051 pass yds 706 rush yds 21 tds passing 14 running all-time qb record as a rookie.   all this while most rookie qbs were still picking splinters out their arse.
F

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »
You are an idiot. So what if they skipped Rogers to get him?

For someone who says shit about  football (and according to you, you aren't watching the super bowl this year, so already your opinion is worthless) you dont even know shit about your own team.

Dexter Carter, Rashaun Woods, and Jim Drunkenmiller are all worst busts than Alex smith. You are an idiot.

I'm not saying he's elite.

I'm saying he's not the worst bust he 49ers ever had in a draft.

Mark is an idiot and knows almost nothing about football.

Now this is hilarious.  lol.  So who cares if they drafted Alex Smith over Aaron Rogers?  LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, here is what the Niners got in Alex Smith and what they could have had with Rogers:

Smith:
66 starts, 1137 for 1959, 12,543 yards, 58%, 68 TDs, 58 INTs, 76.4 rating, 629 rushing, 4 TDs

Rogers:
62 starts, 1381 for 2113, 17,366 yards, 65%, 132 TDs, 38 INTs, 104.1 rating, 1183 rushing, 16 TDs
Two Pro Bowls, 1 NFL All Pro, likely to be NFL MVP for 2011, AND a Super Bowl win

And drafting Smith over Rogers wasn't an enormous blunder?  LOLLOLLOL

Regarding Woods, Druckenmiller, and Carter, that is laugh-out-loud funny too.  Smith was the first overall pick in 2005.  Woods, Druckenmiller, and Carter were all late first round picks. 

This reminds me of pumpster saying Tiger was erratic and overrated, back when Tiger was dominating the golf world.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »
Now this is hilarious.  lol.  So who cares if they drafted Alex Smith over Aaron Rogers?  LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, here is what the Niners got in Alex Smith and what they could have had with Rogers:

Smith:
66 starts, 1137 for 1959, 12,543 yards, 58%, 68 TDs, 58 INTs, 76.4 rating, 629 rushing, 4 TDs

Rogers:
62 starts, 1381 for 2113, 17,366 yards, 65%, 132 TDs, 38 INTs, 104.1 rating, 1183 rushing, 16 TDs
Two Pro Bowls, 1 NFL All Pro, likely to be NFL MVP for 2011, AND a Super Bowl win

And drafting Smith over Rogers wasn't an enormous blunder?  LOLLOLLOL

Regarding Woods, Druckenmiller, and Carter, that is laugh-out-loud funny too.  Smith was the first overall pick in 2005.  Woods, Druckenmiller, and Carter were all late first round picks. 

This reminds me of pumpster saying Tiger was erratic and overrated, back when Tiger was dominating the golf world.   

Yes, and 6 years later Smith took them to an NFC championship... Where as the 3 guys I mentioned did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

All 3, first rounders, as you said... who DID ZERO.

You are ridiculous.

Wait,  You're not watching the superbowl again... right?