Author Topic: ‘Beginning of the end for small fishermen’ due to new Obama Admn regs.  (Read 7553 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: ‘Beginning of the end for small fishermen’ due to new Obama Admn regs.
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »
you have to catch it with a reel that's the law is it not

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »

Please.   Did you read the story?   This s more nanny state police state big brother crap. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 07:19:43 PM »
call it what you want the law is the law,

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »
call it what you want the law is the law,

Right, like it being illegal to cross the border, but the govt bending over backwards to accommodate the wetbacks? 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »
their the ones that get our crops out of the fields, i don't think you be happy buying a 5 dollar tomatoe ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 07:39:48 PM »
their the ones that get our crops out of the fields, i don't think you be happy buying a 5 dollar tomatoe ;D

If I knew an American was getting a decent wage to do it, damn right I would pay it.  I try to buy American whenever I can. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
yeah ok have fun going to your restaurant and eating your 40 dollar salad

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
yeah ok have fun going to your restaurant and eating your 40 dollar salad

False.   That is a lie.    I try to do my part.    For example - I used to drink a lot of corona.   Now?   No way - I buy only Brooklyn Brewery , Saranac Lake, and other brew from NY.   

I know it costs more than other stuff, but I don't mind paying a little more knowing the beer is made in NYS.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 07:48:17 PM »
corona in the summer,can't beat it ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
corona in the summer,can't beat it ;D

I know it tastes good, but I rather give my alcohol money to local business. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 05:24:07 AM »
lol.. 3333 is one dumb shit

No shit.  Mother Nature obviously had a sense of humor when she created him minus a frontal lobe.

Now let's sit back and watch the gay talk and picture posting commence.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 05:31:35 AM »
No shit.  Mother Nature obviously had a sense of humor when she created him minus a frontal lobe.

Read it and weep you disgusting gay stalking leech

________________________ ________________________ ___

Mayor of America's top-producing fishing seaport calls on Obama to replace NOAA chief

The following statement was released this evening by Mayor Scott Lang of New Bedford, Massachusetts, America's financially top-producing seaport:

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. - Oct. 5, 2011 -- "Like many others in attendance at Mondays Boston field hearing of the Senate Oceans Subcommittee, I'd hoped that in her testimony, NOAA administrator Dr. Jane Lubchenco would provide solid solutions, and a clear vision for a better future for our fishing families. Instead, question after question from Senators Begich, Kerry, and Brown, and Congressmen Frank, Tierney, and Keating were answered evasively and with equivocation. New Bedford has tried, since her appointment, to work with Dr. Lubchenco and her appointees at NOAA Fisheries. After witnessing her performance on Monday, I have decided to add my voice to the chorus of elected officials who disapprove of her performance and call on President Obama to replace Administrator Lubchenco with an individual who will work with fishing communities around the country. We need a leader in NOAA who understands that the welfare of communities is a priority and that there can be a balance between economic sustainability and conservation."

http://www.savingseafood.org/fishing-industry-alerts/mayor-of-americas-top-producing-fishing-seaport-calls-on-obama-to-replace-noaa-2.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 05:40:35 AM »
September 22, 2011
Death of an Industry: The President's Impoverishment of America's Fishermen
By Mike Johnson

Déjà vu: President Obama vacationed again on Martha's Vineyard.  While Barry lazed here last year, the fishermen of New England ran a full-page ad in the Vineyard Gazette titled "Mr. President, We Need Your Help."  The fishermen came to the Vineyard in their boats and paraded in the harbor to emphasize their plight.  The American Thinker ran a piece on the events.

The ad was in the form of a letter from Russell Sherman, the captain of the fishing vessel Lady Jane out of Gloucester, MA.  The letter was well-written, elegant in its simplicity and comprehensive in its content, befitting Captain Sherman's Harvard education.  It read in part:

My business is only one of hundreds facing extinction.  While there will be a small handful of "winners" under these new rules [Catch Shares], the vast majority of us will be losers.  And when we "losers" are forced out, jobs will be lost, coastal communities gutted, and crucial commercial fishing infrastructure gone forever.  ...

Mr. President, we desperately need your leadership. 

How much help did the fishermen get from the president?  None!  Nada!  Not even an acknowledgement of their efforts.  Not even a receipt from the White House for the copy of the letter they sent directly to the president by "Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested."

And what has happened to the fishermen since?  How has the past year gone for them?  Badly!

Catch shares (see Nils Stolpe's "Is this the future of fishing?") has worked to perfection...if you are a malevolent, vindictive, bureaucratic eco-zealot. As Dr. Jane Lubchenco predicted, the fishing fleet has consolidated -- a euphemism for "most of the fleet has been driven out of business."

The heavy-handed regulatory management continues, as shown by a recent independent review by Preston Pate. Fishing jobs are gone; NOAA jobs are not. The number of regulators and observers assigned to each fisherman has increased dramatically. Needless to say, this is not the help the fishermen were seeking.

The lawsuit brought by the fishermen based on NOAA exceeding their mandate in imposing catch shares has been rejected based on NOAA having the authority to do just about whatever they please. See Dr. Briand Rothschild's "Fish, the Intent of Congress, and Jobs" and the related American Thinker piece.
Catch allocations, the key to successful fishing under catch shares, remain extremely low because of the government's uncertainty in its science. See the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Institute (MFI) study report.

The Secretary of Commerce rather rudely rejected a request from the fishermen for emergency relief of the restrictive catch allocations based on the MFI document previously linked.

The fishermen weren't alone in having a bad year.  President Obama spent his 2010 Vineyard vacation under a Joe Btfsplk perpetual rain cloud, spent most of the intervening year under one form or other of Joe Btfsplk political clouds, and was driven from the Vineyard this year by a Joe Btfsplk hurricane, courtesy of Dr. Lubchenco and NOAA.  The country has had a tough year as well.  The reader can ponder the synergy at his leisure.

How did Captain Sherman fare in 2010?  Pretty much the same as the overall industry.  First, the good news, or the illusion of good news: Russ had the highest gross revenues of his 40-year career in 2010.  The offsetting bad news: his net was an appreciable loss.

NOAA did their normal disingenuous PR release trumpeting the high revenues as proof of the effectiveness of catch shares while completely ignoring the increased costs.  See the Gloucester Times article by Richard Gaines.

Captain Sherman recently invited me to his home in Gloucester.  The first words out of his mouth: "We needed regulation in the worst way."  He emphasized that point.  But -- and it is a big but -- the government has gone too far and become too rigid.

Overfishing, the condition that led to the need for regulations, has ended. No less an expert than Dr. Steve Murawski, recently the NOAA Fisheries chief scientist, has so stated in an interview given in January 2011.

The commercial fishing industry of New England could be made to work under the catch shares system if the government wanted it to work. They could simply expand allocations within the overfishing limits imposed by the Magnuson-Stevens Act (MSA). See this American Thinker essay.

But Dr. Lubchenco and President Obama do not want the industry to survive; they want it to be transformed into a commodity-based industry where shares are traded like pork-bellies.  (See Nils Stolpe's "The Big Green Money Machine" and explore his extensive database on the financial inroads the eco-zealots have made into our government and specifically NOAA.)  The present-day fishermen are in the way.  The oppressive allocations are a tool for thinning the herd, reducing the fleet.

There are other, dirtier bureaucratic tricks being used.

In 2000, Captain Sherman made a business decision to get a newer and safer vessel.  He found a vessel in New Jersey that "needed a little work."  It took a year and a slug of cash, but he was back at sea in 2002.  The operating paradigm imposed by the government at the time was days at sea and capacity.  Not a problem -- Russell followed the rules.

A few years later, the government changed the operating paradigm to catch shares, allocations, and landings.  Landings were based on the history from 1996 to 2006.  Russell's new boat had no history, and thus no landings from 1996 to 2002, because it wasn't being used in New England.  (NOAA would not count his landings in his older vessel.)  Russell received about 40% of the allocation of other fishermen.  The government changed the rules, and Russell and many others suffered.  The heartless and soulless bureaucracy didn't care.

In the 1990s, the government requested that fishermen avoid overfished species such as cod and haddock.  Many of the fishermen -- the more responsible ones like Russ -- complied and fished for underutilized species such as whiting, skate, and dogfish.  Others said it was not an order and continued to take cod and haddock.  These less responsible fishermen were rewarded by higher allocations for cod and haddock based on their landings during the 1996-2006, period while the responsible fishermen were penalized for a lack of landings.  No good deed goes unpunished.

The meanest of the NOAA fisheries misdeeds came about by accident or by sloth.  The record-keepers of NOAA made several mistakes in the landing records of individual fishermen.  As a result, some fishermen received as little as a zero allocation for 2010.  Not to worry, said the government; we will fix the errors in next year's allocations.  Try running a small business when you're forced to shut down for a year.

Russell gave me insight into his operating expenses.  The government's "typical" estimate is a real lowball compared to Russell's actuals.  The biggest difference is the cost of leasing allocations -- not considered at all by the government, but equal to the cost of fuel in Russell's case (and his vessel burns almost 20 gallons an hour).  As a result, Russell has had to cut his crew from four to three.  This of course means more work for each of them, but they are not afraid of working.  It also means more risk with one fewer set of eyeballs to watch the others' backs.

Illegitimi non carborundum.  Russ is bound and determined not to let the bastards grind him down.  But he is at the edge.  Next year, FY2013, the government will no longer subsidize the required observers for catch shares.  The fishermen have to pick up the cost -- about $700 a day.  This goes onto overhead and comes directly out of paychecks.  This may push Captain Sherman over the line.

The mistreatment of fishermen has been independent of the party in power, although Obama has exacerbated the problem by ceding NOAA to the environmentalists with the appointment of Dr. Lubchenco.  Most fishermen are small businessmen and naturally conservative, though there are exceptions.  Captain Sherman voted for Obama in 2008, but Russell says, in no uncertain terms, that he will vote against him in 2012.

Russell Sherman is a Harvard graduate with all the talent and drive that goes with the territory.  Why has he spent forty years fishing?  I asked him, and he told me that upon graduation, he wanted to be independent, on his own in someplace scenic and fun.  He chose Gloucester and ended up going fishing because he needed the money.  He has been fishing ever since, and not without tragedy.  The vessel he was in sank off the coast of Maine in November 1978.  Two crewmates were lost, two others rescued, and then Russell, at death's door, was plucked from the small rowboat he had clung to for 14 hours.

There is something in the psyche of some individuals that makes them fishermen, seemingly through no choice of their own.  Russ speaks of the majesty, the grandeur of the sea, and his personality sparkles and his eyes shine.  You cannot, in good conscience, ask this hardworking man to give up his life's work so that some bloated bureaucrat can make a fortune selling fishing rights.

Fishing as a way of life has endured for four centuries along the coast of New England.  Turning the fisheries into a commodities-based enterprise is tantamount to the destruction of the fishing community and its culture.

Mike Johnson is a concerned citizen, a small government conservative, and a live-free-or-die resident of New Hampshire.  E-mail mnosnhoj@comcast.net.

Page Printed from: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/../2011/09/death_of_an_industry_the_presidents_impoverishment_of_americas_fishermen.html

at November 22, 2011 - 07:39:01 AM CST

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 05:51:54 AM »
Good lawdy 333 iz dumb ha ha ha ha

Pass the gravy n buscuits while i dem dare laff at dis dumb azz white boy

You iz so stoopid

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 05:54:46 AM »
Come on option FAIL and that gay piece of shit stalker Lurker -  Defend this. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 05:55:57 AM »

You iz so stoopid

Yet not one of these hacks can dispute anything posted in this thread.   These obamabots are a real joke. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 05:59:49 AM »

Defend this asshole 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 06:06:49 AM »
http://reason.com/archives/2011/10/24/obama-fishing-czar-divides-dem
Reason Magazine 

Obama Fishing Czar Divides Democrats

Why John Kerry and Barney Frank are lining up against the administration's "catch share" policy
Ira Stoll | October 24, 2011

The next battle over President Obama’s job-killing regulations may take place on the Atlantic Coast, where fishermen, and the senators and congressmen who represent them, are voicing mounting frustration at the Obama administration’s “catch-share” rules for the fishing industry.

The Republican senator from Massachusetts, Scott Brown, on Saturday stood with fishermen in Gloucester and called on Mr. Obama to fire the administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Jane Lubchenco.

But the frustration at Ms. Lubchenco, who also serves as under secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere, extends well beyond Republican, Tea Party-backed senators or libertarians for whom the idea of a federally enforced “share” program sounds like some nightmare out of an Ayn Rand novel.

A surprising and growing number of Democratic elected officials are also expressing annoyance and outright opposition. Sen. Kerry, the Democrat of Massachusetts who was his party’s presidential nominee in 2004, said Friday, “Because of federal regulations limiting fishing in our waters, a lot of our fisherman have been put out of business or pushed the brink.” Also last week, he sent a stern letter to Ms. Lubchenco, warning her, “tensions between federal regulators and the fishing community have reached a boiling point beyond anything I’ve ever witnessed in my 26 years in the Senate.”

This 2010 Reason.tv video explores the ways in which "catch shares," if properly structured and enforced, can help save the ocean's fisheries and the industry that depends on them. Watch by clicking on the image.

Earlier this year, the two senators from New York, Charles Schumer and Kristin Gillibrand, both Democrats, joined with Democratic congressmen Barney Frank of Massachusetts and Frank Pallone of New Jersey to write the secretary of commerce a letter “to express our concern that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) catch share policy will further endanger the economic vitality of the already-struggling fishing industry.” A Schumer press release warned that the “flawed catch share policy…. could irreparably damage our fishing industry.”

The Democratic mayor of New Bedford, Mass., Scott Lang, denounced the catch-share policy. “We’ve got the worst economy since the Great Depression, and we’re keeping people from working. … It’s really, I think, done a tremendous amount of damage to the fishing community.”

And earlier this year, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, a Democrat who socializes with Mr. Obama when Mr. Obama is vacationing on Martha’s Vineyard, filed a brief in support of a lawsuit against the catch-share regulations, calling them “poorly thought through and poorly implemented.”

The story hasn’t yet hit The New York Times, Politico, or the Drudge Report. But when it does, it won’t be pretty. At the center of the storm is Ms. Lubchenco, whose official biography fits what to the Obama administration’s critics will seem like a familiar pattern. Like President Obama himself and like Mr. Obama’s initial economic adviser, Lawrence Summers, Ms. Lubchenco has an advanced degree from Harvard. Like Mr. Obama and Mr. Summers, Ms. Lubchenco has little private sector experience, but spent a lot of time teaching at a university—in her case, more than 20 years at Oregon State University. When President Obama nominated her to the NOAA job, she was vice chairman of the board of the Environmental Defense Fund, an environmental advocacy group that promotes catch shares, which are kind of like a cap-and-trade emissions scheme transferred to fishery management. When her appointment was announced, EDF’s president, Fred Krupp, praised her by saying, “her depth of understanding of climate change is unmatched.”

Her official biography also notes that she is a recipient of 14 honorary doctoral degrees and of one of the MacArthur Foundation’s “genius” awards.

Which raises the question—if Ms. Lubchenco is such a “genius,” how has she managed to so thoroughly frustrate, irritate, and annoy so many small fishermen and the politicians who represent them?

Partly it is by displaying a kind of arrogance towards those not blessed with her genius. She reportedly minimized the job losses under catch-share by describing them as “marginal jobs where people are squeaking by.”

She snubbed Massachusetts elected officials by departing early from a subcommittee hearing to go meet with the Boston Globe editorial board. A representative of the Gloucester Fishermen's Wives Association, in a letter to the Gloucester Times, called Ms. Lubchenco’s testimony about one of their own programs “disingenuous, dishonest and disrespectful to all our community's fishing fleet.”

I tried to get Ms. Lubchenco’s side of it, but her communications and legislative teams didn’t return my phone call.

Memo to President Obama: When Charles Schumer, John Kerry, Barney Frank, Deval Patrick, and the Gloucester Fishermen’s Wives Association are all warning that your regulations are destroying jobs, maybe it’s time to start putting prioritizing people ahead of fish. And, along with that, to start wondering whether your NOAA administrator may not be such a genius, after all.

________________________ __________

Once again proving Option FAIL, Blackass, and Licker have no idea WTF they are talking about. 

Go vote for obama again you morons - you guys deserve each other. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 06:26:37 AM »

You iz so stoopid

Why are you typing like that..

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 06:27:33 AM »
If I knew an American was getting a decent wage to do it, damn right I would pay it.  I try to buy American whenever I can. 

dont you drive a Rav4.... Thats a Toyota..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2011, 06:29:22 AM »
dont you drive a Rav4.... Thats a Toyota..

Ford Explorer.   Next car will be most likely a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 06:29:22 AM »

Yet not one of these hacks can dispute anything posted in this thread.   These obamabots are a real joke. 

dispute what. Tha fuck are you blabbering about. EPA Regulations placed on Fishermen. Um ok.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2011, 06:44:43 AM »

And my point was proven in the very next post.....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 07:39:58 AM »
And my point was proven in the very next post.....

BUMP