Author Topic: Get the leg irons ready - Holder is going to jail for perjury.  (Read 51205 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Get the leg irons ready - Holder is going to jail for perjury.
« Reply #450 on: October 19, 2011, 05:27:33 AM »
Issa probing, Justice is resisting on F&F ‘third gun’ (gunwalker)
Seattle Gun Rights Examiner ^ | 18 October, 2011 | Dave Workman

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:23:28 AM by marktwain

Congressman Darrell Issa is reportedly preparing a letter to send to the FBI about a mysterious “third gun” allegedly recovered from the December 2010 murder scene of Border Patrol agent Brian Terry in Arizona, but the Justice Department is already firing back with assertions that the gun doesn’t exist.

News of this third gun first surfaced weeks ago, and Issa has been dogging this as part of his investigation as head of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. He spoke Sunday morning with CBS’ Bob Schieffer and investigative reporter Sharyl Attkisson, explaining that this investigation is hardly about politics, as Obama administration defenders are asserting.

Now comes the report on Fox News that the Justice Department is firing back at Issa. The department has issued a statement that says:

"The FBI has made clear that reports of a third gun recovered from the perpetrators at the scene of Agent Terry's murder are false."
This column is reminded of a letter sent to Senator Charles Grassley on Feb. 4, 2011 by Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich in response to the Iowa senator’s inquiry about Operation Fast and Furious. Here’s what Weich told Grassley:

“At the outset, the allegation described in your January 27 letter—that ATF “sanctioned” or otherwise knowingly allowed the sale of assault weapons to a straw purchaser who then transported them into Mexico—is false.”
Who should the public believe, a California congressman whose investigation has already shown that the Weich claim was demonstrably false, or a Justice Department whose leader – Attorney General Eric Holder – may ultimately be the target of that investigation for having possibly allowed Fast and Furious to go forward, and who then possibly misled Congress about the extent of his involvement?

(Excerpt) Read more at examiner.com ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #451 on: October 19, 2011, 05:30:28 AM »
DOJ: Issa's Theory That Gun Disappeared After Border Patrolman's Murder 'Maligns' FBI (gunwalker)
tpmmuckraker ^ | 17 October, 2011 | Ryan J. Reilly

Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) said Sunday that he was worried about what he saw as certain inconsistencies in the investigation into the murder of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry and floated the theory that there was a third weapon at the scene. Federal officials say he didn't do his homework.

Two weapons linked to ATF's botched Fast and Furious operation (which allowed guns to "walk" into Mexico) had been found at the scene of Terry's death, but investigators haven't determined conclusively if one of those weapons killed him. It was Terry's murder that lead to complaints from ATF agents about the the bureau's anti-gun trafficking program.

"If weapon number one [which] appears to be missing were ballistically matched," Issa said on CBS "Face the Nation", "we would have an absolute rather than the inconsistency." From the interview:

Host Bob Schieffer: Are you suggesting that maybe that might be the gun, that evidence shows was the murder weapon, and for some reason the FBI has not disclosed that?

Chairman Issa: Well, we certainly want to know in some cases, as you know, there are investigations where there's materials that people feel are very sensitive.

Issa also added that the FBI "has a history in some cases of working with felons and criminals and hiding their other crimes."

A Justice Department spokeswoman said that Issa's false accusation "maligns the dedicated agents investigating the murder of Agent Terry" and "mischaracterizes evidence in an ongoing case."

"The FBI has made clear that reports of a third gun recovered from the perpetrators at the scene of Agent Terry's murder are false," Justice Department spokeswoman Tracy Schmaler said in a statement to reporters.

"When law enforcement analyzes evidence from a crime scene, it refers to some of the items seized as 'known' items or 'Ks' for shorthand," Schmaler explained. "Certain items were analyzed as 'known' items from the crime scene of Agent Terry's murder, including the two firearms referenced by Chairman Issa and designated by the FBI as Known Specimens 'K2' and 'K3'."

"According to the FBI, the item that Chairman Issa refers to as 'K1' is a blood sample from Agent Terry, not a firearm. For this reason, it was not listed on the ballistics report prepared by the FBI," Schmaler continued.

"Prior to his appearance on CBS this past Sunday, Chairman Issa's staff was informed that there were two - not three - guns recovered from the perpetrators at the scene of Agent Terry's murder," Schmaler said.

Oversight Committee Ranking Member Rep. Elijah E. Cummings issued a statement criticizing Issa's comments.

"It is unbelievably reckless for Chairman Issa to go on national television and repeat these baseless accusations, which attack the integrity and credibility of entire law enforcement agencies and undermine the prosecution of those responsible for Agent Terry's death. In a closed briefing with Committee staff earlier this month, the FBI dispelled any allegation that they recovered a third gun at the scene, and the Committee has no evidence to the contrary."

Late update: Issa spokesman Frederick Hill emails this statement: "If there was no third gun then Agent Brian Terry was killed by a weapon from Operation Fast and Furious. The Justice Department has so far failed to acknowledge this or provide appropriate answers."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #452 on: October 19, 2011, 06:01:23 AM »
Obama: People Responsible for Fast and Furious 'Will Be Held Accountable'
newsmax ^ | 10/19/11 | M Gould

The people responsible for the Fast and Furious gunrunning scandal “will be held accountable,” President Barack Obama pledges during an interview for "Nightline" Tuesday night.

“It’s very upsetting to me to think that somebody showed such bad judgment that they would allow something like that to happen,” Obama told ABC News’ Jake Tapper. “And we will find out who and what happened in this situation and make sure it gets corrected.”

Obama told Tapper, “People who screwed up will be held accountable,” according to a report on ABCnews.com in advance of the broadcast.

His comments came on the day that the Senate voted to block funds for any similar operation in the future.

It also came as a fourth Republican congressman, freshman Allen West, called for the resignation of Attorney General Eric Holder for his role in the fatally flawed scheme which saw hundreds of assault weapons fall into the hands of violent Mexican drug cartels.

In an exclusive interview with Newsmax.TV, West said Holder “definitely could be complicit in what could be criminal actions.” The Florida representative added, “He should do the honorable thing and resign and take full responsibility for what has happened.”

Obama’s comments show that pressure from Republican investigators led by House Oversight Committee Chairman Rep. Darrell Issa of California and Senate Judiciary Committee ranking member Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa is paying off.

Last week, Issa subpoenaed hundreds of documents to discover how high in the administration knowledge of the scheme went. He has accused Holder of failing to cooperate in the investigation.

(Excerpt) Read more at newsmax.com ...

________________________ ___

LOL.    So far Obama has not held anyone accountable or even launched a formal investigation. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #453 on: October 20, 2011, 06:48:31 AM »
The 3rd Gun & "K1" -- not the same thing. But that doesn't mean there wasn't a 3rd gun.
Sipsey Street Irregulars ^ | 20 October, 2011 | Mike Vanderboegh

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:42:43 AM by Watchdog85

As part of the recent White House counteroffensive in the Gunwalker Scandal PR battle, Jordy Yager, AP correspondent and go-to guy for White House leaks wrote:

DOJ also issued a statement on Monday night saying that Issa’s comments were offensive and misunderstood how the FBI catalogues evidence found at crime scenes.

“The FBI has made clear that reports of a third gun recovered from the perpetrators at the scene of Agent Terry’s murder are false,” said the DOJ in a statement.

"Unfortunately, this most recent false accusation not only maligns the dedicated agents investigating the murder of Agent Terry, it mischaracterizes evidence in an ongoing case,” the DOJ said.

Issa contends that since the two weapons found at Terry’s murder scene were catalogued as “K2” and “K3,” there must be a “K1” -- that is, a third gun which has never been revealed to lawmakers or their investigators. The DOJ has said that the “K1” is a sample of Terry’s blood and not another weapon.

Since Monday I have been checking into this controversy. A number of sources in DC, Northern Virginia and Arizona have weighed in. The DOJ, it seems, is likely right. Issa, or rather his staff for I'm sure that's where the error began, made a mistake in thinking that just because K2 and K3 referred to the Kalashnikovs found at the scene, that K1 did too. This email from a source explains:

Mike,

Don't get too far out on a limb, challenging the FBI explanation. All items received at the lab are assigned a "K' number, as received. Different items go to different units, for an examination relating to that unit's specialty. Each unit prepares a report relating to ONLY THE ITEMS THAT IT EXAMINED.

If K-1 is a blood sample, there should be a DNA lab report referencing a K-1 sample.

Note: "All items received at the lab (emphasis supplied, MBV) are assigned a "K' number, as received. (emphasis supplied, MBV.)

Thus, if the lab assigns the numbers, the issue becomes: Did the third gun make it to the lab? For there was a third gun. Other sources as well as the Hope MacAllister - Andre Howard tapes are clear on that. An SKS, traced to Texas, and said to have been linked to the FBI's cartel informant, WAS recovered.

But did it make it to the lab where the numbers are assigned? My sources say no. Thus, Issa's error in assuming that K1 referred to the third gun gave the FBI and DOJ an opening to try to discredit the whole notion of a third gun, but the mistake doesn't disprove that there was, or was not.

Let's revisit the tapes:

Agent: Well there was two.

Dealer: There's three weapons.

Agent: There's three weapons.

Dealer: I know that.

Agent: And yes, there's serial numbers for all three.

Dealer: That's correct.

Agent: Two of them came from this store.

Dealer: I understand that.

Agent: There's an SKS that I don't think came from.... Dallas or Texas or something like that.

Dealer: I know. talking about the AK's

Agent: The two AK's came from this store.

Agent: Ok.

Dealer: I did the Goddamned trace

Agent: Third weapon is the SKS has nothing to do with it.

Dealer: That didn't come from me.

Agent: No and there is that's my knowledge. and I spoke to someone who would know those are the only ones they have. So this is the agent who's working the case, all I can go by is what she told me.

Now the tapes were recorded some time in mid-March 2011 by the principle Federal Firearms Licensee cooperating with ATF in "Fast and Furious," Andre Howard, owner of Lone Wolf Trading Company in Glendale, Arizona. The agent he's talking with is the lead Phoenix Group VII case agent Hope MacAllister.

This is not the only evidence of a third gun. As FOX reported on 9 September:

A third gun linked to "Operation Fast and Furious" was found at the murder scene of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry, new documents obtained exclusively by Fox News suggest, contradicting earlier assertions by federal agencies that police found only two weapons tied to the federal government's now infamous gun interdiction scandal.

Sources say emails support their contention that the FBI concealed evidence to protect a confidential informant. Sources close to the Terry case say the FBI informant works inside a major Mexican cartel and provided the money to obtain the weapons used to kill Terry.

Unlike the two AK-style assault weapons found at the scene, the third weapon could more easily be linked to the informant. To prevent that from happening, sources say, the third gun "disappeared."

In addition to the emails obtained by Fox News, an audio recording from a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent investigating the Terry case seems to confirm the existence of a third weapon. In that conversation, the agent refers to an "SKS assault rifle out of Texas" found at the Terry murder scene south of Tucson.

The FBI refused to answer a detailed set of questions submitted to officials by Fox News. Instead, agency spokesman Paul Bresson said, "The Brian Terry investigation is still ongoing so I cannot comment." Bresson referred Fox News to court records that only identify the two possible murder weapons.

However, in the hours after Terry was killed on Dec. 14, 2010, several emails written to top ATF officials suggest otherwise.

In one, an intelligence analyst writes that by 7:45 p.m. -- about 21 hours after the shooting -- she had successfully traced two weapons at the scene, and is now "researching the trace status of firearms recovered earlier today by the FBI."

In another email, deputy ATF-Phoenix director George Gillett asks: "Are those two (AK-47s) in addition to the gun already recovered this morning?"

The two AK-type assault rifles were purchased by Jaime Avila from the Lone Wolf Trading Co. outside of Phoenix on Jan. 16, 2010. Avila was recruited by his roommate Uriel Patino. Patino, according to sources, received $70,000 in "seed money" from the FBI informant late in 2009 to buy guns for the cartel.

As part of my own investigation, I sought to discover just exactly when Andre Howard first learned that there was at least one other firearm found at the Terry murder scene and who told him about it. Sources in AZ and DC say that their understanding is that Howard heard about it from an ATF agent (perhaps MacAllister herself, but this is unclear), in the days after the Terry murder.

In the tapes, when MacAllister assures Howard that "the SKS has nothing to do with it," presumably she is referring to the murder of Brian Terry. Yet how she can know this when it was retrieved at the murder scene is unclear.

Now the previous DOJ "refutation" of the third gun allegation was that experienced crime scene investigators didn't know the difference between an SKS and a Kalashnikov and couldn't count the number of firearms in front of them on one hand.

The DOJ is on firmer ground with this K1 business. K1 does not equal third gun. But that there was a third gun is certain, according to my sources. That it belonged to the FBI informant is also said to be certain.

The question then becomes, was the paid FBI informant at the shoot-out? How did the weapon get there without him, if not? What was the FBI's understanding of the events in the desert outside Rio Rico BEFORE the investigation team arrived? The need to remove the informant's weapon from the evidence stream to protect their source -- even from the charge of murder of a federal officer -- would have been -- and my sources say, was -- overwhelming.

One called him, "The Mexican Whitey Bulger," and added, "They still protect their snitches -- always." He said, "They had an 'Oh shit!' moment. The gun was there, and then it wasn't. Do I have to draw you a picture? Hell, no, it didn't go to the lab. They're not THAT stupid."

Interesting article.   I'm getting the feeling that the guy who killed Terry will turn out to have been on the FBI payroll. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #454 on: October 20, 2011, 06:51:01 AM »
"Interesting article.   I'm getting the feeling that the guy who killed Terry will turn out to have been on the FBI payroll.  "

Remember on episode 1 of the shield, where the informant agent Terry was shot by Vic? 

Just a coincidence?  Was it on a green screen?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #455 on: October 20, 2011, 10:02:09 AM »
Gunwalker: The Third Gun
Pajamas Media ^ | October 19, 2011 | Bob Owens

Darrell Issa investigates the rumored third gun present at ATF Agent Bryan Terry's murder.

A war within a war appears to have broken out regarding allegations of a third weapon at the scene of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry’s murder.

The Department of Justice claims that only two semi-automatic AK-pattern rifles were recovered at the scene of the shootout between a Border Patrol tactical team and armed Mexican criminals that night in the Arizona desert. House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) ruffled feathers within the DOJ and with Democrats on his committee by repeating allegations of a third weapon at the scene, and by announcing plans to question the FBI about the investigation of Agent Terry’s death.

Border Patrol agents had mentioned a third weapon to Agent Terry’s family. CBS News obtained audiotape of a conversation between an ATF agent who was part of Operation Fast and Furious and the dealer who sold weapons under ATF direction to cartel smugglers. The blunt conversation is very hard to spin:

Agent: Well there was two.

Dealer: There’s three weapons.

Agent: There’s three weapons.

Agent: And yes, there’s serial numbers for all three.

Dealer: That’s correct.

Agent: Two of them came from this store.

Dealer: I understand that.

Agent: There’s an SKS that I don’t think came from … Dallas or Texas or something like that.

Dealer: I know. talking about the AK’s –

Agent: The two AK’s came from this store.

Agent: OK.

Dealer: I did the godd***ed trace –

Agent: Third weapon is the SKS has nothing to do with it.

Dealer: That didn’t come from me.

Agent: No and there is — that’s my knowledge. And I spoke to someone who would know those are the only ones they have. So this is the agent who’s working the case, all I can go by is what she told me.

Dallas has long been alleged to be the site of another major gunwalking operation running weapons to the cartel, one of 10 claimed gunwalking operations in five states. The FBI’s statement on the allegation released Monday seems definitive:

The FBI has made clear that reports of a third gun recovered from the perpetrators at the scene of Agent Terry’s murder are false.

The FBI is very careful with their words: they declare there was not a third gun recovered a) “from the perpetrators,” b) “at the scene of Agent Terry’s murder.”

An inference one could make from the careful phrasing: if there was a third weapon, it was not recovered in direct proximity to one of the Mexican criminals involved in the crime, and it was more than likely dropped as the suspects fled the scene — which is also what allegedly happened with both of the AK-pattern rifles used in the shootout. They were recovered a short distance away.

If the alleged third weapon was an SKS fired by the criminals at the crime scene as ATF agents have indicated, then its absence can be verified if the FBI didn’t carefully sanitize the crime scene. The FBI would have collected and cataloged all evidence at the crime scene, including the shell casings recovered and their precise location. A location map of the recovered casings help tell the story of who fired what and when, and can help track the movements of the shooter.

Shell casings can also be used to “fingerprint” weapons based upon the marks left by the weapon’s firing pin, chamber, and extractor. While less precise than matching a bullet to the rifling of a barrel, the casings recovered at the crime scene will tell us what kind of weapons were used not just by their caliber (SKS and AK-pattern rifles are both chambered to fire 7.62×39 ammunition), but by the marks left on the shell casings themselves. If congressional investigators are sharp, they’ll subpoena every bit of information about the shell casings at the Terry murder scene. If casings consistent with the extractor markings of an SKS can been identified, then the FBI and DOJ are in serious trouble.

Other ATF communications make the DOJ’s claim that there was no third weapon even more suspect:

In one, an intelligence analyst writes that by 7:45 p.m. — about 21 hours after the shooting — she had successfully traced two weapons at the scene, and is now “researching the trace status of firearms recovered earlier today by the FBI.”

In another email, ATF-Phoenix Deputy Director George Gillett asks: “Are those two (AK-47s) in addition to the gun already recovered this morning?”

The DOJ seems once again to be blocking reasonable inquires into their own conflicting stories, and attacking the investigators.

Though Operation Fast and Furious is now in it’s tenth month, the Obama administration has made no attempt to hold the Departments of Justice, Homeland Security, State, or Treasury to account for the government’s gun trafficking conspiracy.

We still don’t know:

•who came up with Operation Fast and Furious;
•the identities of the Justice, Homeland Security, State, and Treasury officials that approved the operation;

•why the acting DOJ inspector general has not recused herself from the DOJ investigation considering her past legal work with Eric Holder, a seemingly clear conflict of interest;
•how four cabinet-level agencies could run a high risk, low chance of success operation without the White House approving and monitoring the operation;
•why officials running the plot felt compelled to “dirty up” an ATF agent by forcing him to use taxpayer dollars to buy six Draco pistols and to deliver them personally to cartel weapons smugglers in hopes his involvement would keep him from testifying;
•why the agencies involved refuse to answer direct questions from congressmen and senators who have asked whether there were gunwalking programs in other states.
It appears that the primary mission of Eric Holder’s Department of Justice is to insulate President Obama’s political appointees from the consequences of their actions, and to obstruct the pursuit of justice by Congress as much as possible.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #456 on: October 20, 2011, 10:12:23 AM »
hiding the 3rd gun.

put that in the pile of things the middle mgmt PHX guy will take blame for.

Wow, you repubs are going to be pissed when Holder and Obama skate.  I can just hear Holder laughing... "In case you didn't notice, Mr Fox Reporter, we had so-and-so take responability for everything you're asking.  Please put your partisan conspiracy theories away so we can focus upon keeping our nation safe from iranian/mex assassination gangs..."

oh, you'll suddenly see how pissed 911 skeptics were, when bush said "let us not tolerate any 911 conspiracy theories" as Dean revealed Bush KNEW about the attacks ahead of time.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #457 on: October 20, 2011, 11:09:46 AM »
Reps. Chaffetz and Gowdy Seek Information From President Obama On Flawed Fast & Furious Program
U.S. House of Representatives ^ | October 19, 2011 | NA

Congressmen ask Administration to come clean on what they knew and when
Washington -

On Friday, October 14, 2011, Representatives Chaffetz (UT-3) and Gowdy (SC-4) sent a letter to President Obama seeking information in the "Fast and Furious" investigation conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.  The letter asks what the President knew about the investigation and when he learned of it.  This is significant information because both President Obama and Attorney General Holder have spoken about when they were informed of "problems" with the investigation.  Reps. Chaffetz and Gowdy believe "Fast and Furious" was a flawed investigation from its origin.

Rep. Chaffetz added, "We're looking for answers.  I hope Mr. Holder will come before the Congress and clear up this glaring discrepancy.  The President promised he would help get to the bottom of these questions and hold people accountable.  We have a number of questions for Mr. Holder to answer."

According to Congressman Gowdy, a former state and federal prosecutor who handled scores of firearms cases, "'Fast and Furious' was both ill-conceived and ill-executed, and any investigation that relies on 'gun-walking' and the recovery of guns at crimes scenes is so fundamentally flawed that whoever approved it needs to be disciplined.  Allowing guns to walk away from law enforcement surveillance into another country is serious enough, but adding to that, what seems to be ATF's plan to wait to recapture these guns at crimes scenes – after yet another law is violated – is frankly astonishing in its ineptitude.  So, it is not enough for me to know when the President and Attorney General learned of so-called 'problems' with 'Fast and Furious'- 'Fast and Furious' was a problem from its very inception." 

The Committees on the Judiciary and Oversight and Government Reform have been focused on "Fast and Furious" for months.  To date, ATF Director Ken Melson has stepped down and U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke has resigned.  Attorney General Holder continues to deny prior knowledge of the investigation, but documents show he had been informed of the operation more than 6 months before his May 3rd testimony in a Judiciary Committee hearing focused on Department of Justice Oversight.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #458 on: October 21, 2011, 06:10:58 AM »
ATF Death Watch 107: How Many Guns?(Gunwalker)
The Truth About Guns ^ | 20 October, 2011 | Robert Farago

I find it astounding that the Congressional Oversight Committee and the Justice Department are in a pissing match over a single firearm. Representative Issa’s investigators have every reason to believe there were at least three ATF-enabled firearms at the murder scene of U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry. Their opinion is based, in part, on a recorded conversation between the owner of Badger Guns and an ATF Agent wherein the Agent said “There were actually three weapons [recovered].” As today’s letter from Issa and Senator Grassley to the FBI reveals, it’s possible there were as many as five guns involved. And yet the Justice Department decided to make the number of ATF-enabled murder weapons an issue—accusing Issa of political pandering while continuing to claim that the FBI only found two Fast and Furious-related firearms at the scene. Ah yes, the FBI . . .

The FBI is a completely unreliable source of information; the Bureau stands accused of covering-up the exact details surrounding Agent’s Terry’s murder. At the very least, the Bureau is stonewalling on behalf of the Attorney General by refusing to turn over key documents requested by the Oversight Committee. More likely they’re desperately attempting to conceal their own role in the ATF’s “Guns for Goons” program.

We know that the Federal Bureau of Investigation manipulated their NICS criminal background check system to allow ATF-favored felons to [illegally] purchase firearms from ATF-monitored U.S. gun dealers. Note: that’s not the kind of move an FBI Agent at the sharp end could or would make without authorization from the Bureau’s top officials.

Those FBI “higher ups” would not have agreed to pervert NICS without speaking to the ATF’s top officials. And those ATF officials would have had to have informed the FBI brass WTF they were doing to receive the FBI’s cooperation. Unless . . . someone even higher up in the food chain told the FBI to STFU and push the buttons that let ex-cons carry guns to Sinaloa drug cartel members.

Be that as it may, the FBI was up to its eyeballs in Operation Fast and Furious before Agent Terry was murdered by drug thugs wielding ATF-enabled firearms. When the FBI got the call to deal with the aftermath of Terry’s murder—forensics, witness interviews, the lot—they performed their duties according to the FBI’s number one priority: protect the Bureau.

Even if you focus exclusively on the Terry case, there are a large range of deeply disturbing questions surrounding the FBI’s investigation. Issa and Grassley’s letter lists 16 separate lines of enquiry, drilling down to the most basic: how many people were involved in the shooting and where the hell are they? To find answers, the pols repeat their request for F&F-related internal comms between no less than nine FBI employees.

The letter highlights a three-month delay between the Committee’s initial request and the new missive, and sets a deadline for the FBI’s cooperation: November 2. Meanwhile, high-ranking democrats are calling the new subpoenas a “politically motivated fishing expedition.” At least someone did; I heard them bitch and moan on the radio but can’t find the remarks on Google. Which tells you that the Gunwalker scandal has reached another watershed moment.

The funny thing about all this “how many guns did the FBI recover” skirmish is that Fast and Furious unleashed at least 2000 weapons during its ten-month tenure. What’s a gun or three here and there compared to this “iron river” of weapons walked across the border to the Sinaloans with Uncle Sam’s blessing? And what’s that number compared to the American fully automatic machine guns and grenades walked across town by “defecting” Mexican troops?

elimparcial.com reports that nearly 45,000 soldiers and marines deserted the Mexican Armed Forces since Felipe Calderon assumed the presidency in 2006. If each soldier brought four guns with them (on average), that’s 180k weapons for Mexican drug cartels. Which doesn’t include thousands of firearms and millions of bullets stolen from army arsenals or the thousands of machine guns that the Mexican cartels “requisitioned” from Mexican police. Your tax money hard at work.

All of which leaves the same question on the table that I brought up a bazillion Death Watches ago: why did the ATF bother enabling the smuggling of a couple of thousand guns from a relative handful of U.S. gun stores when the U.S. government had bought (one way or another) tens of thousands of guns through “legitimate” export? Now there’s a question for Representative Issa and Senator Grassley.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #459 on: October 21, 2011, 06:41:39 AM »
ATF Ignored Death Threats, Tried to Frame Whistleblower Agent to Cover Corruption
Townhall.com ^ | October 21, 2011 | Katie Pavlich

Jay Dobyns is a father, husband and 25-year, highly respected and highly decorated Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms Special Agent. He was the first law enforcement agent to ever successfully infiltrate multiple layers of the notoriously dangerous and violent Hells Angels motorcycle gang through "Operation Black Biscuit." He has described the Hells Angels as having their "PhDs in violence," and worked undercover in the gang for two years. Dobyns has dedicated his life to undercover service for ATF and took a bullet through the lung at one point for the agency. Luckily, he survived.

Dobyns has put number of the nations’ most violent criminals behind bars, which naturally comes with threats from those criminals and their buddies in return. After he finished his work bringing down the Hells Angels, things were no different.

Approximately a year after Operation Black Biscuit concluded beginning in 2004 through 2008, Dobyns and ATF became aware of credible and substantial violent threats against him and his family. Those threats included plans to murder him either with a bullet or by injecting him with the AIDS virus, kidnapping and torturing his then 15-year-old daughter and kidnapping his wife in order to videotape a gang rape of her. Dobyns and ATF also learned contracts were solicited between the Hells Angels, the Aryan Brotherhood and the MS-13 gang to carry out these threats.

During Operation Black Biscuit, Dobyns operated as a special field agent under ATF Phoenix Field Office management. At the time of the threats, that management team included Special Agent in Charge of the ATF Phoenix Field Division William Newell, Assistant Special Agent in Charge George Gillett and ATF Deputy Assistant Director William McMahon, who served as Newell’s direct supervisor at the time. All were intimately involved in Operation Fast and Furious. Newell and McMahon have both testified before the House Oversight Committee regarding their roles in the lethal gun trafficking operation that deliberately put over 2,000 high powered weapons into the hands of ruthless Mexican drug cartels and lost south of the border.

These threats were laid out in prison letters and confirmed through FBI and ATF interviews of confidential informants inside the Florence Corrections Facility and the Arlington County Detention Center in Virginia. Also found circulating in the Florence Facility by a prisoner known as the captain of the Aryan Brotherhood named "WHITEY," was an extensive hit list with Jay Dobyns as a top target. Leaders of each gang in the prison had a copy of list and had been given "permission to kill" persons listed according to ATF documents and interviews. Dobyns’ name, in addition to a detailed description of his appearance, also came up in prison yard talk.

"A confidential source stated that it observed WHITEY go into a box within his cell that contained a large number of letters. The confidential source stated that WHITEY pulled out a plain white envelope from within the box, removing a legal sized piece of paper that was full of names. The confidential source explained that the list was broken down into columns, with names, the affiliation of the person who was named and who had approved the “green light” (given permission to kill the person or who ordered the "hit"). The confidential source stated that while looking at the list he recalled several names on the list that were law enforcement officers (approximately 16 names), specifically stating the name "JAY DOBYNS ATF," a report from an interview conducted by ATF Special Agents Jeffery Grabman and Frank D’Alesio with FBI Special Agent Laura Kidwell present shows.  "WHITEY knew Dobyns had a daughter, stating that if he were to find the daughter he would torture her."

Grabman, D'Alesio and Kidwell verified these threats were credible and management agents in the Washington D.C. ATF office were practically begging the ATF Phoenix Field Office to the threats seriously and investigate.

Dobyns reported these threats to Special Agent in Charge William Newell, asking for protection for his family. The threats were based in Arizona and Dobyns lived in Arizona at the time. Newell was in charge of investigating and handling all threats made against agents working out of the ATF Phoenix Field Office. The threats were ignored. When Dobyns essentially "blew the whistle" on Newell, pointing out his failures to address violent death threats against a federal agent, he was retaliated against. Newell dismissed the threats and then covered up his blatant dismissal of those threats within the Phoenix Field Office.

Additionally, in response to the ATF/FBI interview, despite all the evidence the death threats were credible, Special Agent in Charge of the Los Angeles Field Division John Torres, who like Newell has also been promoted into ATF headquarters, informed Dobyns through an email, "The Chief of Operations Security does not deem the emergency action is required as of this date and time."

Later, a DOJ Inspector General report concluded that management within the ATF Phoenix office, despite having the necessary resources, did not adequately address threats made against Dobyns and found "absence of any corrective measures proposed to address the failure to conduct timely and thorough investigations into the death threats made against Dobyns."

In addition, a U.S. Office of Special Counsel report concluded, "I note with concern the absence of any corrective measures proposed to address the failure to conduct timely and thorough investigations into the death threats made against Special Agent Dobyns. ATF does not appear to have held anyone accountable in this regard. Fully addressing the problems and failures identified in this care requires more than amending ATF policies and procedures. It requires that threats against ATF agents be taken seriously and pursued aggressively and that ATF officials at all level cooperate to ensure the timely and comprehensive investigation of threats leveled against its own agents."

On top of ignoring death threats, recently Dobyns' house was set on fire at 3 a.m. with his wife, son and daughter sleeping inside in a confirmed act of arson. It is suspected members of the Hells Angels, or close associates of the gang carried out the arson in retaliation of Dobyns’ undercover work.

When Dobyns reported the incident to both ATF and Newell and asked for an investigation into the case, Newell not only refused to investigate, calling the incident "just scorching," but allowed his subordinates, including Gillett, to attempt to frame Dobyns, accusing him of purposely burning down his own home with his family inside, has named him as a suspect and is investigating him. Newell conspired to destroy and fabricate evidence to "prove" his case. Emails, witness testimony, phone conversations and other documentation show the ATF Phoenix Field Divisions’ intentions, led by Newell,  were  to frame Dobyns, yet Newell denied under oath any involvement in this activity. His subordinates Gillett and ATF Tucson Group Supervisor over Operation Wide Receiver Charles Higman, also denied any attempts to frame Dobyns under oath, despite evidence showing otherwise.

The retaliatory actions of Newell, and other ATF management agents, were reported to ATF senior management at the highest levels and were ignored.

ATF is notorious for retaliatory action against field agents, but the Dobyns case brings that retaliation behavior to a new level. Credible death threats, backed by evidence from inside the prison system, the investigation of the U.S. Office of Special Counsel and the Office of the Inspector General in the Bush Justice Department, were ignored by ATF management in the Phoenix Field Division Office and at ATF headquarters in Washington D.C. Evidence of the threats was also sent to Congress and the President of the United States.

“Numerous mid-level ATF managers the senior leadership of three ATF field divisions and the Executive Staff of ATF in Washington D.C., along with ATF's Internal Affairs and the Chief Counsel office were all directly involved in, and responsible for the death threats against me. Unfortunately, mine is not an isolated incident. ATF management's pattern of reckless behavior in this area is institutional. It has been historically tolerated and promoted.” Dobyns wrote in a letter to an attorney in the U.S. Office of Special Counsel in late October 2008.

So why does this matter? Newell was the brainchild of Operation Fast and Furious in the ATF Phoenix Field office. Newell is also the agent who was in regular contact with a member of the White House national security team, Kevin O’Reilly, about the lethal program. Newell also said he would conduct Operation Fast and Furious again, despite two Americans and hundreds of innocent Mexicans dead as a result of the program.

Newell used Dobyns as a test run, to see just how much he could get away with in his management position within ATF before getting reprimanded. Considering nobody was held accountable for the mistakes made in handling death threats against Dobyns, Newell knew he had the green light to do whatever he wanted, at the highest levels of corruption. The Dobyns case empowered him. Newell was protected and defended for ignoring violent death threats against a federal agent, he had free reign to do what he wanted. This gave Newell everything he needed to get away with Operation Fast and Furious, which started in Fall 2009. 

After allowing 2,000 guns to flow freely into the hands of dangerous Mexican cartels, Newell said under oath that he never let guns walk into Mexico, despite massive amounts of evidence, whistleblower testimony and detailed maps proving otherwise. Keep in mind, ATF Operation Fast and Furious Whistleblowers like John Dodson, Pete Forcelli and Vince Cefalu have all experienced retaliation for their efforts to expose corruption within ATF.

Since purposely ignoring death threats made against Dobyns, deliberately trafficking thousands of weapons into Mexico and repeatedly lying under oath, William Newell has been promoted to a position within ATF in Washington D.C. William McMahon is no different. He too was promoted and now oversees the ATF’s Office of Professional Responsibility and Security Operations or in other words, ATF’s Internal Affairs Division. George Gillett, who orchestrated the frame job against Dobyns was moved out of the ATF Phoenix office following his heavy involvement in Operation Fast and Furious and is now assigned as ATF’s liason to the U.S. Marshall’s Service in Washington D.C.

"ATF wasn’t going to do anything to Bill Newell. They were going to defend and protect him because he was their golden boy," Dobyns tells Townhall. "Why are you protecting this guy? What has he ever done to even deserve your loyalty let alone your protection?"

If ATF had taken steps to hold Newell, Gillett, McMahon and others responsible for their irresponsible actions surrounding the Dobyns case, Fast and Furious wouldn’t have happened, but because ATF openly rewards bad behavior and corruption, Fast and Furious was utterly predictable. ATF executive leadership left these people in place to rule in this agency. They left management in the ATF Phoenix Field Office in place despite documentation showing they were incompetent.

"The agency and the field agents in the agency know those stories and it’s demoralizing across the board because the agents, the people with their boots on the ground are going to say, 'You know what, Jay Dobyns went out there and laid it down for this agency and he’s getting attacked by the agency where a guy like Bill Newell who never left his desk, basically conducted his career with a suit and tie on is being protected.’ Even after all the things that everybody knows he did, he’s still being hidden and defended and protected,'" Dobyns says.

Throughout the years it has become clear that ATF is more interested in protecting and promoting the corrupt practices of the men who have made careers profiting off of corruption, obstruction of justice and lies, like Newell, rather than rewarding field agents taking out dangerous criminals like ATF Special Agent Jay Dobyns, ATF Operation Fast and Furious Whistleblowers John Dodson, Pete Forcelli, Vince Cefalu and others for their bravery and sacrifice to fight violent crime and for exposing corruption within the agency. The bottom line is, ATF as an agency doesn’t care about recommendations or evidence of misconduct, in fact, the agency rewards screw ups on a regular basis.   The Dobyns case could be counted as the most reckless case of retaliation in ATF history, yet nobody has been held accountable for it.

"The identical techniques, tactics, practices and personnel that were used on me were repeated in Fast and Furious. You’ve got a flawed response plan that is not well thought out, both to the gun trafficking in Fast and Furious to the threats against me. You’ve got the same people who are at the tip of the spear in developing the plan to send thousands of weapons to Mexico and ignoring death threats and not realizing when it is failing. Then you’ve got the point when they get called out and caught in their bad acts both in Fast and Furious and my threat response. Then you go into the immediate denial of ‘no we didn’t do that.’ Then, when it starts to be proved, you go into the attack on the person that exposed it, that blew the whistle. They attacked me just like they attacked John Dodson and Pete Forcelli and those guys. Then you go into the cover-up where they are denying the evidence and hiding the evidence of what they did wrong and then you go into the lies under oath that they’re denying and raising their right hand, swearing to tell the truth and willingly and intentionally not telling the truth," Dobyns says.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #460 on: October 22, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »
As Issa Closes in on FBI Role in Gunwalker, Dems Feign Outrage
Pajamas Media ^ | October 21, 2011 | Bob Owens

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:53:31 AM by Kaslin

As the cover-up unravels, the Justice Department and a Democrat congressman play "shoot the messenger."

As the Gunwalker conspiracy continues to unravel, initial claims that the multi-agency plot was an isolated and localized Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives operation are falling apart.

Following up on comments made this past Sunday, House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa and Ranking Member of the Senate Judiciary Committee Charles Grassley sent a letter to FBI Director Robert Mueller seeking detailed information in their Fast and Furious investigation. They are particularly focused on the murder of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry on December 14, 2010.

The letter asserts that as many as five firearms may have been in the hands of the suspects, based upon the claim by the captured suspect that he was traveling with four other individuals — all of whom he says were armed. Neither the search warrant affidavit nor the unsealed indictment stated the total number of weapons recovered after the firefight, a curious omission.

The letter goes on to ask 16 questions. The first three questions cover the ballistics tests run on the weapons recovered, while the next four inquire about the weapons the smugglers may have used in the firefight and how many shots may have been fired from each kind of weapon. The remaining questions are focused on the investigators themselves (specifically the FBI, ATF, and any other “state local, or federal” agencies that may have been present by the time the FBI arrived to the crime scene), the gun trace data, and the total number of suspects involved.

Getting honest answers to these questions is critical, as the FBI seems to be claiming that only two weapons were recovered at the scene. Candid conversations with other law enforcement agents strongly suggest that a third weapon, an SKS tied to an FBI criminal informant, was at the crime scene before disappearing.

The Department of Justice was quick to denounce the letter and the Oversight Committee’s quest to reach the bottom of Operation Fast and Furious:

On Monday, the Justice Department responded to Issa’s accusations about a possible third gun saying, “The FBI has made clear that reports of a third gun recovered from the perpetrators at the scene of Agent Terry’s murder are false.” They also maintain that Issa’s staff was previously informed of this.

“Unfortunately, this most recent false accusation not only maligns the dedicated agents investigating the murder of Agent Terry, it mischaracterizes evidence in an ongoing case,” the Justice Department said in its statement.

Oversight Committee Ranking Member Elijah Cummings (D-MD), an Obama administration loyalist, fiercely responded as well:

Frankly, I am shocked that Chairman Issa would continue to spin this conspiracy theory — that the FBI is hiding a third weapon — even after his recent allegations proved false. Rather than acknowledging this embarrassing mistake and apologizing for making false accusations about the FBI, Chairman Issa’s letter is an unprecedented attack on the integrity and credibility of law enforcement that could seriously jeopardize the ongoing prosecution.

To put it mildly, Cummings’ criticism is duplicitous. The ATF’s William Newell boldly lied to the American people when he answered “Hell no!” to inquires on whether guns were walked in Operation Fast and Furious. Instead of being fired, he and his fellow conspirators were promoted “laterally” to desk jobs in Washington, D.C.

The Department of Justice has repeatedly tried to claim that Operation Fast and Furious was a localized operation, when documents prove that numerous Obama administration-appointed officials, including Attorney General Eric Holder himself and the number two man in Justice, Gary Grindler, were briefed on the operation. One document shows Grindler’s personal notes scrawled in the margins.

The FBI, DEA and Justice Department have all attempted to stonewall the Oversight Committee investigation, and have refused to answer direct questions from other congressional committees and individual congressmen and senators as well.

With allegations of gun-walking operations in 10 cities in five states, the congressional reaction of a calm investigation is, if anything, subdued. As noted in a previous article, if we use Operation Fast and Furious as a baseline and assume that the other gunwalking operations were roughly as productive, the U.S. may have run between 10,000 and 20,00o guns to criminal organizations, enough weapons to outfit an entire U.S. Army infantry division.

The constant revelations of new documents and new testimony strongly suggest that President Obama, Attorney General Holder, Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have not been forthright about what they knew of multiple plots carried out jointly by their agencies.

PJM reporter AWR Hawkins notes:

To date, their stories are not believable, and Obama’s pledge to discover who was behind Fast and Furious and hold them “accountable” is simply not trustworthy.

Even the reliably left-leaning Huffington Post tells readers they should be furious over Operation Fast and Furious:

Who in their right mind would think using criminals to smuggle thousands of guns in to Mexico was a good idea?

Our Justice Department refuses to reveal the creator or cost of Operation Fast & Furious. Why?

What the hell is going on in this country? And why don’t our federal officials just man-up and admit when mistakes have been made?

The handful of apologists that still openly support the administration’s gun-smuggling plot are left with little more than bombast, vitriol, and shallow, transparent attempts to smear the investigations that originated in the White House.

New claims suggest that the federal government had “prior knowledge” that poverty-stricken straw purchasers were about to start spending thousands of dollars at a time at Lone Wolf Trading Company, a gun dealer cooperating with the investigation. Lone Wolf’s owner, Andre Howard, was allegedly told by ATF Agent Hope McAllister: “The amount of weapons you sell is about to dramatically increase.”

This suggests that either the agents had inside intelligence on cartel buyers, or FBI criminal informants at the heart of the operation were directing the straw purchasers to Lone Wolf to spend money provided by the FBI.

All of the evidence that has come forward in recent months paints an increasingly detailed picture of a government gone mad, with top administration officials contributing willfully to a bloody criminal conspiracy.

It’s a little late for faux outrage.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #461 on: October 22, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »
Lawmakers blast Justice Department’s ‘Fast and Furious’ probe(gunwalker)
The Washington Times ^ | 20 October, 2011 | Jerry Seper

Two senior Republican lawmakers lambasted the Justice Department on Thursday for its “false denials” in the Fast and Furious gunrunning operation, demanding that the FBI turn over documents in its ongoing probe into the shooting death by Mexican bandits of a U.S. Border Patrol agent.

In a seven-page letter to FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III, Rep. Darrell E. Issa of California and Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa said the lack of answers being given to Border Patrol Agent Brian A. Terry’s family concerning his Dec. 14 killing and the delay in bringing those responsible to justice “only compounds their anguish.”

“After 10 months of FBI investigation, Agent Terry’s family and the American public deserve to know more about the status of the inquiry, the state of the evidence, and any connections to Operation Fast and Furious,” they wrote.

Two AK-47 assault weapons purchased at a Glendale, Ariz., gun shop as a part of the Fast and Furious operation were found at the killing site — located just north of the U.S.-Mexico border near Nogales, Ariz.

But Mr. Issa, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, and Mr. Grassley, ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, noted that neither the search-warrant affidavit nor an unsealed indictment in the case described the total number of guns recovered at the scene.

They said that based on the “limited information officially released about the circumstances,” it appeared that the illegal immigrants who shot at Terry may have been armed with a total of five rifles.

“We know that two Fast and Furious rifles were part of a lot of three, all purchased at the same time over a year earlier,” they said. “These circumstances naturally raise questions regarding the whereabouts of that third Fast and Furious gun, whether the other firearms

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtontimes.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #462 on: October 25, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
By Jerry Seper
The Washington Times
Monday, October 24, 2011

Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican and a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, asked Sen. Chuck Grassley and Rep. Darrell E. Issa on Monday to expand their formal "Fast and Furious" investigation to include accusations that similar gunrunning probes took place in Texas.

Mr. Cornyn said he asked U.S. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. in August to address the "scope and details of any past or present ATF gun-walking programs" in his home state, but never got a response.

"Though their failure to respond is not direct evidence of malfeasance, the department's reluctance to address allegations of additional 'gun-walking' schemes in my state raises serious questions, and Texans deserve a full accounting of the department's role in this matter," he wrote.

Mr. Cornyn, a former Texas attorney general, said Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) "gun-walking" schemes have had significant "spillover effects" in Texas. In two separate incidents in January and April 2010, 60 rifles that were "walked" during the Fast and Furious operation were recovered from criminals in El Paso, Texas.

He said the attorney for a federal firearms licensee (FFL) in Houston has charged that his employees were ordered by ATF to conduct suspicious sales of firearms to purchasers who may have been working on behalf of Mexican drug cartels.

Last December, he said, the Justice Department convened a grand jury to investigate whether several salespersons at the Houston gun dealers were criminally liable for selling weapons to straw purchasers. The investigation, he said, was dropped only after the licensed firearms dealers revealed that the illicit sales were carried out at the behest of the ATF.

"I fear that ATF may have pressured other FFLs in Texas to conduct illegal activities, and that many of these weapons may have ended up in the hands of cartels and at the scene of multiple violent crimes in Mexico," Mr. Cornyn said.

He also asked that the investigation include a look into whether a Texas-based "gun-walking" program was responsible for the slaying of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent Jaime Zapata on Feb. 15, 2011, in Mexico. One of the weapons used to kill Zapata was purchased by Texas resident Otilio Osorio in October 2010 and, according to Mr. Cornyn, later trafficked to Mexico through Laredo, Texas.

Zapata was fatally shot, and his partner, Victor Avila, was wounded twice in the leg in the ambush on a major highway near the city of San Luis Potosi, about 250 miles north of Mexico City. The men, assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City, were returning to their office after a meeting with other U.S. personnel in San Luis Potosi.

Neither man was armed, as Mexico does not allow U.S. law enforcement personnel to carry weapons in the country.

Mr. Osorio, 22, and his brother, Ranferi, 27, were arrested at their home on charges of possessing firearms with an obliterated serial number. Kelvin Leon Morrison, 25, also was arrested and charged in a separate complaint with making false statements in connection with the acquisition of firearms and dealing in firearms without a license. He lives next door to the Osorios.

According to court documents, a confidential ATF informant arranged a meeting in early November with people who had firearms to be transported from Dallas to Laredo. The meeting was arranged as part of an investigation of Los Zetas, a violent and ruthless Mexican drug-trafficking gang.

Mr. Cornyn said evidence uncovered by Mr. Grassley, Iowa Republican, suggests that the ATF was aware of Mr. Osorio's weapons-trafficking activities "long before that date."

"The delay in his arrest raises concerns that the ATF knowingly allowed Osorio to continue trafficking weapons through Texas as part of a broader 'gun-walking' program," he said, adding in his letter that he supported efforts by the two lawmakers "to hold the Department of Justice accountable for their involvement in the Operation Fast and Furious tragedy."

"American tax dollars should never again be spent to arm Mexican drug cartels," he said.

In the Arizona-based Fast and Furious operation, 20 "straw buyers" purchased more than 2,000 weapons between September 2009 and December 2010, many of which were walked into Mexico and turned over the Mexican drug smugglers. The weapons included AK-47 assault weapons, Barrett .50-caliber sniper rifles, FN 5.7mm semi automatic pistols and other assorted rifles, shotguns and handguns — many of which remain unaccounted for.

The straw buyers paid as much as $900,000 for the weapons, with much of the illicit cash being furnished by the drug cartels.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #463 on: October 26, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Mexican drug suspect: U.S. gave me immunity
BySharyl Attkisson .12 Comments

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500202_162-20125720/mexican-drug-suspect-u.s-gave-me-immunity

(CBS News)  A Mexican drug suspect awaiting trial in Chicago is making a startling claim. He insists he can't be prosecuted because he worked as an informant and had a secret immunity deal with the U.S. government.

ATF Fast and Furious investigation

Napolitano testifies on ATF Fast and Furious: "We're waiting for the Inspector General"
For more on this investigation, visit CBS News Investigates

Prosecutors say Vicente Zambada-Niebla oversaw drug running on a massive scale into the U.S. But now, from behind bars at a maximum security prison in Chicago, he's making his own explosive accusations -- that U.S. government agents have been aiding Mexico's infamous Sinaloa cartel -- even tipping off leaders on how to avoid capture.

CBS News investigative correspondent Sharyl Attkisson reports that Zambada's court filings claim federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents gave him, cartel kingpin Chapo Guzman, and other Sinaloa leaders "carte blanche" to "operate their drug business without interference," as long as they snitched on other cartels. For years, Zambada's attorney argues, Sinaloa leaders helped "authorities capture or kill thousands of rivals." Their chief rivals are the Zetas, considered the most vicious and ruthless of all.

Phil Jordan used to head the DEA's Center for Drug Trafficking Intelligence, called "EPIC," in El Paso. He says he doesn't buy Zambada's claim that the DEA promised immunity.

"Grenade-walking" part of "Gunwalker" scandal

Jordan told CBS News, "We do not have the power to offer immunity."

But in court documents, prosecutors do admit the U.S. had a signed cooperation agreement with a different Sinaloa cartel leader.

That agreement was with Sinaloa cartel lawyer Humberto Loya-Castro. Starting as early as 2004, Loya passed information to the DEA from cartel leaders including Zambada -- the one now on trial. In return, Zambada claims, the U.S. dismissed a major case against Loya and agreed to "not ... interfere with" the cartel's "drug trafficking" or actively prosecute their leadership.

Jordan says any agreement with a cartel leader is controversial, but may be deemed necessary.

He said, "It's probably a matter of trying to get inside or closer intelligence to the whole Mexican federation, as we call it."

Jordan points out that Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega was once on the CIA's payroll. And that in Colombia, the U.S. worked with select cartels, allowing them to continue drug smuggling operations in the U.S. as long as they helped in destroying the more dangerous Cali and Medillin cartels.

As to whether the government has similar plans in Mexico, they're not saying, but this case, Attkisson reported, raises the question.

Prosecutors say even if federal agents did promise Zambada immunity -- which they deny -- it's unenforceable.

© 2011 CBS Interactive Inc.. All Rights Reserved.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #464 on: October 26, 2011, 01:58:19 PM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #465 on: October 26, 2011, 02:12:39 PM »
Issa, Grassley: Holder needs to reveal info on 2nd agent’s murder, connections
Daily Caller ^ | Oct. 26, 2011 | Matthew Boyle

House Oversight Committee Chairman Rep. Darrell Issa and Sen. Chuck Grassley lambasted Attorney General Eric Holder in a new letter detailing how Holder’s team has failed to provide congressional investigators with critical details surrounding the connections between Operation Fast and Furious and a second federal agent’s murder.

The two top Republicans wrote to Holder on Tuesday criticizing what they said was the Department of Justice’s late and lacking response to Grassley’s March 2011 request for details about the murder of Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer Jaime Zapata. “Not only was the response more than six months late, it completely failed to answer the key questions,” Issa and Grassley wrote.

Issa and Grassley then detail how the DOJ’s severely late response is still rife with inconsistencies. Zapata was murdered in Mexico on February 15, 2011. At least one firearm involved in Zapata’s murder was traced back to Otilio Osorio, his brother, Ranferi Osorio, and their neighbor, Kelvin Morrison. The DOJ arrested the three, and in a March 1, 2011 press release announcing the arrest, revealed that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives had been investigating since early in November 2010.

Otilio Osorio made the weapons purchase, which included a gun linked to Zapata’s murder, on October 10, 2010. On the same March 1, 2011 press release announcing the three men’s arrests, the DOJ said it was unaware of the weapons purchase.

“According to ATF documents, however, the agency had reason to believe as early as September 17, 2010, that Otilio’s brother and co-habitant Ranferi Osorio and their next-door neighbor Kelvin Morrison were straw purchasers,” Issa and Grassley wrote. “Yet the ATF apparently made no effort to contact Ranferi Osorio or Kelvin Morrison and inquire about how their weapons came to be trafficked to Mexico...

(Excerpt) Read more at dailycaller.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #466 on: October 26, 2011, 02:38:42 PM »
Rep. Joe Walsh to Eric Holder: ‘Resign immediately and take responsibility’ for Fast & Furious
The Daily Caller ^ | 10/26/2011 | Matthew Boyle

Illinois Republican Rep. Joe Walsh joined the small but growing choir of members of Congress calling on Attorney General Eric Holder to resign over Operation Fast and Furious. Walsh is the fourth member of Congress to make the call for Holder to resign. Republican Reps. Raul Labrador of Idaho, Blake Farenthold of Texas and Paul Gosar of Arizona have each publicly asked Holder to step aside as well.

Walsh made the demand in a letter he sent Holder on Wednesday.

(Excerpt) Read more at thedc.com ...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #467 on: October 26, 2011, 07:42:54 PM »
"But in court documents, prosecutors do admit the U.S. had a signed cooperation agreement with a different Sinaloa cartel leader.
That agreement was with Sinaloa cartel lawyer Humberto Loya-Castro. Starting as early as 2004, Loya passed information to the DEA from cartel leaders including Zambada -- the one now on trial. In return, Zambada claims, the U.S. dismissed a major case against Loya and agreed to "not ... interfere with" the cartel's "drug trafficking" or actively prosecute their leadership."

More evidence that this isn't about Obama - or Bush - Or clinton or anyone else.

US drug border policy seems to be to let some shit in.  It's good for the economy, and ppl just wanna get fcking high.

Deal with it.  Nobody is going to jail for thei FF stuff.  It's just a matter of repubs yelling about shit that they were cool with under Bush, because they hates them some obammers.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #468 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »
Spoke to a buddy today in spec ops.   Said army is in Mexico trying to recover these guns as we speak and that holder is going to jail wo question and everyone knows it. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #469 on: October 26, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »
i spoke to holder today.  Said he fears no prosecutor and respects no law, and as we speak is laughing while smoking a ciggie behind the white house with Obama & Hermann Cain's campaign manager.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #470 on: October 26, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
i spoke to holder today.  Said he fears no prosecutor and respects no law, and as we speak is laughing while smoking a ciggie behind the white house with Obama & Hermann Cain's campaign manager.

How much do you get from OFA?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #471 on: October 26, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »
i dont follow... i openly concede holder is guilty as shit.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #472 on: October 27, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
BREAKING: PJ Media Finds Gunwalker’s ‘Unreachable’ Man in the White House
PJ Media ^ | October 27, 2011 | David Steinberg

The Obama admin. told Rep. Darrell Issa that Kevin O’Reilly – Gunwalker’s possible connection to Obama -- was “in Iraq and unavailable.” He’s there, but available. After we called him, his phone number was deactivated.

The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform led by Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) is investigating to what extent the White House was aware of — or involved in — the “Fast and Furious” gunwalking scandal.

The committee recently requested to speak with former White House National Security Staffer Kevin O’Reilly. According to CBS News reporter Sharyl Attkisson, the Obama administration answered:

O’Reilly is on assignment for the State Department in Iraq and unavailable.

Through a tip, PJ Media learned that Kevin O’Reilly was unexpectedly named director of the International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Bureau for Iraq (INL-Iraq). Long-time INL-Iraq employee Virginia Ramadan had been expected to get the position — many were quite surprised when she did not.

The previous occupants of the Director, INL-Iraq position — Joe Manso and Francisco Palmieri — were not considered “unreachable” to press or government access. A quick internet search reveals Palmieri, while director, attended a media event on August 23, 2010 .

On October 21, PJ Media reporter Patrick Richardson called the number for Office of the Director, INL-Iraq:

1-240-553-0581, ext. 3275

Richardson reached a voicemail message confirming that it was indeed the correct number. He left a message that was not returned.

On Monday Richardson called again, and an assistant answered. Richardson asked to speak with Kevin O’Reilly, and the assistant asked who was calling. Richardson gave his name and stated he was with PJ Media.

The assistant said O’Reilly was currently on a conference call, and asked if Richardson wanted to leave a message. Richardson gave his phone number. His call was not returned.

This morning, Richardson called again. He received a prerecorded message saying “this number is not in service.”

PJ Media is aware that the number was in service as the line to the director’s office for several years prior to Richardson’s calls.

Today, PJ Media is forwarding this information over to Darrell Issa, along with some suggested questions to ask of the Obama administration:

– Why were we told Kevin O’Reilly was “unavailable” if he was employed in a position that has always been open to media, and indeed was easily reached by PJ Media?

– Why did Kevin O’Reilly suddenly get sent to Iraq for the Director, INL-Iraq position when another employee was widely considered the most-qualified person for the job?

– Now that we know he is in the Director, INL-Iraq position and not in a position ever considered “unreachable,” when will you be sending him to Washington to testify?

The committee’s interest in Kevin O’Reilly stems from documents the White House released last month on September 30 – a late afternoon “Friday document dump.” From Sharyl Attkisson’s reporting on the documents:

The documents show extensive communications between then-ATF Special Agent in Charge of the Phoenix office Bill Newell — who led Fast and Furious — and then-White House National Security Staffer Kevin O’Reilly. Emails indicate the two also spoke on the phone. Such detailed, direct communications between a local ATF manager in Phoenix and a White House national security staffer has raised interest among Congressional investigators looking into Fast and Furious. Newell has said he and O’Reilly are long time friends.

The email exchanges span a little over a month last summer. They discuss ATF’s gun trafficking efforts along the border including the controversial Fast and Furious case, though not by name. The emails to and from O’Reilly indicate more than just a passing interest in the Phoenix office’s gun trafficking cases. They do not mention specific tactics such as “letting guns walk.”

A lawyer for the White House wrote Congressional investigators: “none of the communications between ATF and the White House revealed the investigative law enforcement tactics at issue in your inquiry, let alone any decision to allow guns to ‘walk.’”

Among the documents produced: an email in which ATF’s Newell sent the White House’s O’Reilly an “arrow chart reflecting the ultimate destination of firearms we intercepted and/or where the guns ended up.” The chart shows arrows leading from Arizona to destinations all over Mexico.

In response, O’Reilly wrote on Sept. 3, 2010 “The arrow chart is really interesting — and — no surprise — implies at least that different (Drug Trafficking Organizations) in Mexico have very different and geographically distinct networks in the US for acquiring guns. Did last year’s TX effort develop a similar graphic?”

The White House counsel who produced the documents stated that some records were not included because of “significant confidentiality interests.”

Also included are email photographs including images of a .50 caliber rifle (left) that Newell tells O’Reilly “was purchased in Tucson, Arizona (part of another OCDTF case).” OCDTF is a joint task force that operates under the Department of Justice and includes the US Attorneys, ATF, DEA, FBI, ICE and IRS. Fast and Furious was an OCDTF case.

An administration source would not describe the Tucson OCDTF case. However, CBS News has learned that ATF’s Phoenix office led an operation out of Tucson called “Wide Receiver.” Sources claim ATF allowed guns to “walk” in that operation, much like Fast and Furious.

Congressional investigators for Republicans Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) and Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) have asked to interview O’Reilly by September 30. But the Administration informed them that O’Reilly is on assignment for the State Department in Iraq and unavailable.

David Steinberg is the New York editor for Pajamas Media.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #473 on: October 27, 2011, 12:01:20 PM »
Gun buyer linked to federal agent's murder to plead guilty
CBS News ^ | Oct. 27, 2011 | Kim Skeen and Sharyl Attkisson

A Dallas County man linked to the murder of ICE Agent Jaime Zapata agreed to plead guilty to weapons violations.

Otilio Osorio, 22, of Lancaster, Texas, agreed to plead guilty Wednesday in federal court to three counts of a 21-count indictment against him.

Prosecutors say one of three guns found at the scene in Mexico where Agent Zapata was shot to death on February 15 was traced back to Osorio. Investigators believe he was the straw purchaser of the weapon, bought in Texas four months before the murder. As part of an agreement with the U.S. Attorney's Office, Osorio agreed to plead guilty to conspiracy to make a false statement in firearms records and possessing a weapons with a removed serial number.

Seven other defendants in the case are also expected to enter guilty pleas. The maximum penalty for each count is five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Sentencing dates have not yet been scheduled.

As reported by CBS News, Congressional Republicans investigating allegations that the Obama administration allowed thousands of weapons to be trafficked into Mexico have asked for more information about the circumstances surrounding Agent Zapata's death.

(Excerpt) Read more at cbsnews.com ...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #474 on: October 27, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »
"Issa's Theory"

LOLZERS at republicans all turning into forensic accountants when it comes to nailing Holder to a wall.

Yall bury your head in the sand anytime proof of evolution arrives.

But oh, let's make some noise when a dem acts shady!