Author Topic: The Wire - possibly best TV police drama  (Read 3836 times)

Stark

• Getbig V
The Wire - possibly best TV police drama
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:13:25 AM »
Just started to download and watching the Wire since I was sick the last few days - I watched so far Season 1 -4 and I am half way through the last season.

Amazing TV Drama - love the whole ghetto thing - its crazy good acting and the story is brilliant.

I am a little bit disapointed with Season 5 - The whole deal with faking a serial killer I just don;t buy it, but the acting is amazing...

Chris and Snoop are some fucking monsters

The acting of Jamie Hector aka Marlo is amzing as well - cold ass guy

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: The Wire - possibly best TV police drama
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:29:38 AM »
I downloaded every season of The Wire a while back and I've yet to watch any of it but if you recommend it I'll give it a go - I'm just coming to the end of watching every season of American Dad and it's starting to get a bit boring now so The Wire seems like a good thing to get into next.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:55:52 AM »
I downloaded every season of The Wire a while back and I've yet to watch any of it but if you recommend it I'll give it a go - I'm just coming to the end of watching every season of American Dad and it's starting to get a bit boring now so The Wire seems like a good thing to get into next.

My god, First episode gets you hocked - its crazy realistic (not that I have been slinging drugs on the corners) but the whole storyline of the undercover cops trying to get a grip on the drug and murder problem - also the political aspect of people fucking each other over and how they do it is amazing.

But by far Marlo the chararcter I posted the clip of is amazing to watch.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:21:07 AM »
Its ok, stupidly overrated by people who like to appear intelligent at parties, The Shield rapes it as far as police dramas go.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:27:11 AM »
is it like that CSI crap??? i fucking hate these series, polished glamourised bullshit

i know the english can make good raw police dramas

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:36:48 AM »
is it like that CSI crap??? i fucking hate these series, polished glamourised bullshit

i know the english can make good raw police dramas

Nothing like CSI, in all 5 series I think the police only fire their guns maybe 3 times, it plays out more like a realistic book.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:49:56 AM »
the last episode in season 5 is epic, for sure.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:29:15 AM »
Its ok, stupidly overrated by people who like to appear intelligent at parties, The Shield rapes it as far as police dramas go.

The shield is awesome as well - little bit less believable - all that stuff they got away with - but I love to see him
getting deeper and deeper and over his head and at the end they still come out laughing :D

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 06:34:04 AM »
The shield is awesome as well - little bit less believable - all that stuff they got away with - but I love to see him
getting deeper and deeper and over his head and at the end they still come out laughing :D

I wont spoil anything, but have you seen the last episode?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 06:37:43 AM »

The Shield jumped the shark in it's last season......before that it was a great fuckin series!

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
The shield is better but the wire is an incredible work. Bought the box set used on amazon for a steal and watched em all while I lifted in my home gym. Colvin's speech about "brown bags on liqour" is a classic monologue.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 08:09:43 AM »

Eh..... NO. The Shield is for simpletons who like their TV easily digestible and they don't have to think

Watch Vic Mackie pull the wool over everyone's eyes YET AGAIN...and barely escape getting busted. Exactly how stupid was everybody  on the police force, except him ??

after the first season the show was a parody of itself

The Wire is a Masterpiece.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 08:39:04 AM »
Eh..... NO. The Shield is for simpletons who like their TV easily digestible and they don't have to think

Watch Vic Mackie pull the wool over everyone's eyes YET AGAIN...and barely escape getting busted. Exactly how stupid was everybody  on the police force, except him ??

after the first season the show was a parody of itself

The Wire is a Masterpiece.

The problem with the Wire is it was too close to reality, and reality is what most people want to escape from when they watch TV, only interesting thing I remember happening from the cops side was when the black lesbian officer got shot.I understood it was well written etc, but that doesnt translate to entertainment.Sure Mackey always got off but that was his thing.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »
Just started to download and watching the Wire since I was sick the last few days - I watched so far Season 1 -4 and I am half way through the last season.

Amazing TV Drama - love the whole ghetto thing - its crazy good acting and the story is brilliant.

I am a little bit disapointed with Season 5 - The whole deal with faking a serial killer I just don;t buy it, but the acting is amazing...

The acting of Jamie Hector aka Marlo is amzing as well - cold ass ####

OMAR IS COMING!!!  Dude was the fucking boogeyman of the hood.  One of the best TV villains ever!

I dowloaded the whole series and every morning would hit the treadmill while I watched an episode.  Amazing how fast an hour on the treadmill goes by watching this show.  Now doing treadmill is boring as fuck!

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 08:48:32 AM »
OMAR IS COMING!!!  Dude was the fucking boogeyman of the hood.  One of the best TV villains ever!

I dowloaded the whole series and every morning would hit the treadmill while I watched an episode.  Amazing how fast an hour on the treadmill goes by watching this show.  Now doing treadmill is boring as fuck!

I'm going through 7 seasons of Criminal Minds while doing daily 1hr cardio, a little repetitive but Ive seen everything top draw out there.A little tip, get a gym grade Recumbent Bike (peanuts for used on ebay), an ipad, some velcro, attach it to the bike, get air video for the ipad so you can stream files from your pc, buy a bluetooth receiver like the MW600 that you can attach any headset too and cardio suddenly becomes heaven  ;D

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 09:00:42 AM »
The problem with the Wire is it was too close to reality, and reality is what most people want to escape from when they watch TV, only interesting thing I remember happening from the cops side was when the black lesbian officer got shot.I understood it was well written etc, but that doesnt translate to entertainment.Sure Mackey always got off but that was his thing.

Well two different tastes.

I was mesmerized by the Wire....the backroom politics, backstabbing..and procedural aspect was great IMO

and I guess that's the thing...I didn't buy "Mackey always gets off"....thought it was stupid

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »
Well two different tastes.

I was mesmerized by the Wire....the backroom politics, backstabbing..and procedural aspect was great IMO

and I guess that's the thing...I didn't buy "Mackey always gets off"....thought it was stupid

Its like movies like Bladerunner or Chinatown,I can appreciate that they are well written, acted, directed etc but theres little entertainment for me personally to be had.While something like Commando I can agree is a much worse film in these respects, its also a far more entertaining one for me.I honestly think most reviewers should give a mark for quality of the film, then a seperate one for entertainment, as I feel thats what most people go in looking for out of a movie or tv show.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 09:52:18 AM »
The Wire is amazing, if you completely pretend season 5 didn't happen.
Y

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »
My god, First episode gets you hocked - its crazy realistic (not that I have been slinging drugs on the corners) but the whole storyline of the undercover cops trying to get a grip on the drug and murder problem - also the political aspect of people fucking each other over and how they do it is amazing.

But by far Marlo the chararcter I posted the clip of is amazing to watch.

You think this shit is good? check out The Unit

it's a series about Delta company (1st SFOD-D) , now THAT's some crazy shit

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 09:57:54 AM »
The Wire is amazing, if you completely pretend season 5 didn't happen.

Or when Omar escapes 1000 rounds being fired at him from the safety of a sofa....then jumps 4 storeys out of a window and runs off within 5 seconds...thats when the show jumped the shark for me, let alone that fake serial killer crap.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:02 AM »
Its like movies like Bladerunner or Chinatown,I can appreciate that they are well written, acted, directed etc but theres little entertainment for me personally to be had.While something like Commando I can agree is a much worse film in these respects, its also a far more entertaining one for me.I honestly think most reviewers should give a mark for quality of the film, then a seperate one for entertainment, as I feel thats what most people go in looking for out of a movie or tv show.

I agree....when I go to the movies I always keep in mind what type of movie I'm about to see...if it's a drama I expect it to be very well written and acted... and thought provoking to some degree.

if it's an action film, give me at least some sort of a decent plot to follow, and blow shit up in an interesting and visually stimulating way. I think that's what makes a great action film...it's got a pretty good plot and script to go along with the CG eye candy

That being said......90% of all major releases suck ass  :P

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 10:07:14 AM »
Or when Omar escapes 1000 rounds being fired at him from the safety of a sofa....then jumps 4 storeys out of a window and runs off within 5 seconds...thats when the show jumped the shark for me, let alone that fake serial killer crap.

Yeah....that was weak, but IMO they get a pass because everything else  was so strong, there were always multiple storylines...that one sucked ass

DukeX

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »

The acting of Jamie Hector aka Marlo is amzing as well - cold ass ####

Don't download you cheap fucker, if you like it so much buy the DVDs, the'yre out there for peanuts, they'll even maybe help the guys who made it to make something similar in the future...

DukeX

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 01:14:14 PM »

+1

Tee_rex65

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 03:39:19 PM »
Personally, I think it's the best TV drama...PERIOD. I think The Sopranos were a close second for me. David Simon is one hell of a story teller.