Author Topic: How safe are private jets?  (Read 10132 times)

tweeter

• Getbig IV
How safe are private jets?
« on: July 15, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
I have a lot of anxiety issues when it comes to flying, especially when there is turbelence. I'm may be going on a business trip with some of the higher-ups in my company and therefore taking the corporate jet, rather than flying commercial. Instead of being excited about it, I'm starting to get pretty nervous about the idea of flying on a smaller, private plane. I'm not exactly sure what kind of plane it is but I believe its just a medium sized corporate jet. Does anyone have any experience flying on a plane like this? Do you know if there will be a lot of turbelence compared to a commercial flight? I figured since this is Getbig, we probably have quite a few members with their own private jets ;)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: How safe are private jets?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:51:23 PM »
I have a lot of anxiety issues when it comes to flying, especially when there is turbelence. I'm may be going on a business trip with some of the higher-ups in my company and therefore taking the corporate jet, rather than flying commercial. Instead of being excited about it, I'm starting to get pretty nervous about the idea of flying on a smaller, private plane. I'm not exactly sure what kind of plane it is but I believe its just a medium sized corporate jet. Does anyone have any experience flying on a plane like this? Do you know if there will be a lot of turbelence compared to a commercial flight? I figured since this is Getbig, we probably have quite a few members with their own private jets ;)
Pffft. Take a Midol, and have a drink or two.    ;)

Swede!

• Getbig IV
  • www.letskillsometime.com Direct link in signature
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
private jet "flyers" are probably better then commercial ones. But a plane can always crash anyway

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »
All of the ones I own are very safe.

a

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 04:07:18 PM »
you should try and fuck the stewardess during the flight if your boss lets you ... known to be flying whores especially on private jets

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »
Dc, I had forgotten that I picked up a few new Super Sky 5000's just last month. 
a

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
cessna.  nope.

aaliyah
john denver
jfk jr

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 04:34:56 PM »
Dc, I had forgotten that I picked up a few new Super Sky 5000's just last month. 
Piffle. It happens to one, doesn't it? Just last week, I misplaced my snow leopard while playing polo in the vineyard. What a shambles.   ;D 

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »

Bahh..I only fly Gulfstream's

Lexus II

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »
I've worked at two large aircraft companies, so I believe I am qualified to speak about the aerospace industry.  If you are indeed flying in a corporate jet and depending on the length of the flight, it should be a smooth and comfortable flight.  The main thing that will affect the flight is the altitude.  The higher the altitude the smoother the flight.

I've been in six passenger aircraft that were as smooth as 737.  Don't worry about your flight there's a reason the rich have private jets.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
Jets are for pansies. Fly experimental planes like my pal, John Denver.

Lexus II

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 05:46:57 PM »
Thanks! Who typically pilots a company jet? Are they just regular pilots who go from plane to plane, or does the company typically have a pilot dedicated to their plane?

Seriously, think about it,  who flies on a company plane? The CEO, President, and Vice President.  When they're hiring a pilot, do you think they would risk their lives with an inexperience pilot.  Nope, they hire the best. 

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »
You've come to the right place to ask that question. 6 1/2 out of every 10 Getbigger has their own private jet. True story. And many even fly in their own seafood from Seattle.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
Seriously, think about it,  who flies on a company plane? The CEO, President, and Vice President.  When they're hiring a pilot, do you think they would risk their lives with an inexperience pilot.  Nope, they hire the best.  

Plus don't most jets whatever size require 2 pilots.  Although there is a somewhat new small jet that only requires one...it may be the only one?  Not sure.

Tweeter, more small planes go down in comparison to large commercial airliners....but it's usually pilot error and not mechanical.  You probably will have 2 pilots if you are in a jet so you have a much lower chance of having any trouble.  And yes, there can be a lot of turbulence in a small plane as well as a large plane.  If turbulence bothers you a lot, try to sit as close to the front as possible.

R

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
Plus don't most jets whatever size require 2 pilots.  Although there is a somewhat new small jet that only requires one...it may be the only one?  Not sure.

Tweeter, lots of small planes go down in comparison to large commercial airliners....but it's usually pilot error and not mechanical.  You probably will have 2 pilots if you are in a jet so you have a much lower chance of having any trouble.  And yes, there can be a lot of turbulence in a small plane as well as a large plane.  If turbulence bothers you a lot, try to sit as close to the front as possible.

No, jets of that size generally have one pilot, comercial jets have two.. keep in mind those lear jets and gulfstreams generally seat 6-12 people so no real need for two pilots like in the case of 150 people.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »
Privat jets get the newest equipment always first before it is rolled out to the commercial airlines if ever, so they are saver than the commercial airlines.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 01:50:38 PM »
Privat jets get the newest equipment always first before it is rolled out to the commercial airlines if ever, so they are saver than the commercial airlines.

Latest technology is never the most tested and tried though. More risk for something going wrong, don't ya think?

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »
wtf, go onboard the fugging plane. Stop whining bitch! :D Man or pussy?? Dead or Alive who gives a shit!

Ready for take off...to hell!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 01:54:56 PM »
Latest technology is never the most tested and tried though. More risk for something going wrong, don't ya think?

No absolutly not I have a friend who is a pilot for a saudi privat airline, he flies old horny super rich towel heads all over the country and he said the
equipment they have in jets these days is light years ahead than the one the commercial airlines have, like head display like a fighter jet etc etc.

We are not talking bare essential equipment but the extra safety - its still an airplane after all.

Dont forget the commercial airlines cannot afford to roll bit technology upgrades to their fleet they have to stay profitable and keep the price down.

Privat airlines 100% save.

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
  • I'm like a retard minus the strength
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 02:17:44 PM »
Private aircraft are safe but not as safe as the airlines IMHO. Private jet pilots are pressured to fly with broken equipment and into bad weather by owners. That said the quality of pilots are similiar depending on pay.  That's just my opinion and I'm an airline pilot.  Bottom line, quit being a pussy and get on the plane!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 02:38:45 PM »
Private aircraft are safe but not as safe as the airlines IMHO. Private jet pilots are pressured to fly with broken equipment and into bad weather by owners. That said the quality of pilots are similiar depending on pay.  That's just my opinion and I'm an airline pilot.  Bottom line, quit being a pussy and get on the plane!

You are an airline pilot and you make a statement like that?

It all depends on what airline you choose - fact is private airlines are way saver they cannot afford any mistakes and they get better equipment.

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
You are an airline pilot and you make a statement like that?

It all depends on what airline you choose - fact is private airlines are way saver they cannot afford any mistakes and they get better equipment.

You are talking out of you're ass.  FACT- the vast majority of aviation accidents and incidents occurr in general aviation and corporate/charter part 135 companies.  Part 135 (charter/corporate) are held to less rigourous standards as far as training, maintenance, and defferable equipment.

There are some corporations that have the newest and best aircraft and avionics systems, but not most.  I would say most corporate flight departments are safe.  That being said there are alot of small companies and semi wealthy individuals that are so enamored with the idea of a private jet their blinded by its status symbol.  Alot of small companies buy very old antiquated equipment and hire pilots with the bare minimum experience to meet insurance standards. These owners safety concerns take a back seat to cost and the interior.  Thats just my observation. 

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 03:05:41 PM »
Are certain models of private jets generally considered safer than others, or does it usually come down to the pilot and other external factors, such as weather, icing, etc? Do you know anything about the Learjet 35?

There are many factors that contribute to safety.  Lear's are the originaly corporate jet.  Generally they have a good name and can fly at higher altitudes then most airliners.  Seriously you should stop worrying the biggest danger of your trip will be the ride to airport.  You should sit back sip on some whiskey and enjoy the view.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »

Thanks! Who typically pilots a company jet? Are they just regular pilots who go from plane to plane, or does the company typically have a pilot dedicated to their plane?

I've flown on private/corporate jets several times.  They always had two pilots and they were actual employees of the companies.  It's great because you don't have to get to the airport so far in advance and deal with security, etc.  Just drive into the hanger, get on the plane and wheels up!  The flights were always comfortable.  I've always felt safer in these than the small planes like a 172, which feel like a tin can.

JFK Jr. got a big head and did some dumbass things.  He was only rated for VFR and conditions became IFR by the time he finally took off.  He shouldn't have let his ego get in the way.

And commercial airlines aren't  ::)  Who are you trying to kid? ;)

:

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:35 PM »

I've flown on private/corporate jets several times.  They always had two pilots and they were actual employees of the companies.  It's great because you don't have to get to the airport so far in advance and deal with security, etc.  Just drive into the hanger, get on the plane and wheels up!  The flights were always comfortable.  I've always felt safer in these than the small planes like a 172, which feel like a tin can.

JFK Jr. got a big head and did some dumbass things.  He was only rated for VFR and conditions became IFR by the time he finally took off.  He shouldn't have let his ego get in the way.

And commercial airlines aren't  ::)  Who are you trying to kid? ;)

we operate under a different set of regulations and are held strictly to those by FAA and our airline.  All I'm saying is on the private side your employer may give an ultimatum. Get us there or you're fired, regardless of regulations. I'm not saying it happens all the time but it does happen.