Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
April 17, 2014, 06:13:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mountain Bikes - 29 inches???  (Read 767 times)
pedro01
Getbig IV

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:58:21 AM »

Anyone here ride mountain bikes?

I have a 10-12 year old Trek 6500. It's been a great bike but I'm now looking at another set of wheels, front shocks and a bunch of other stuff and the missus said "why don't you get a new one?".

Well - women understand nothing about emotional attachment, do they? But anyway - I guess she has a point so I went round the bike shops yesterday and I'm lost.

All I want is this "something that goes as good or better than my Trek 6500" - I just don't want to end up with a bike that doesn't go as well.

I don't do mountains - but my rides are mostly off road - a good proportion is cement canal paths and some dirt tracks.

So now it's all this hoopla with 29 inch wheels and even this "lefty" fork.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Most of my rides are 20+ miles and so the weight, acceleration, rolling are really important but I don't see any way to assess all that when looking at 100 different bikes in a showroom.
Report to moderator   Logged
Archer77
Getbig V

Team Shizzo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:02:25 AM »

A trek is a quality bike.  The frame will last for ages.  The only reason I could think of for getting a new bike is if you need a lighter frame.

A
pedro01
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:10:59 AM »

A trek is a quality bike.  The frame will last for ages.  The only reason I could think of for getting a new bike is if you need a lighter frame.

Last month I had it completely apart and cleaned it all up.

The gears don't last forever, I had to replace the rear derailleur on that service- that was $80 for just that part. I really do need to change the gears, the gear changers on the handlebar too. Because of the price of accessories, by the time I do everything I want, I'll probably have shelled out $4-500 or so.

Seat too - bloody seats out here costing $150 for a decent one. It's madness.

I got road tires now but on the route I take most, I'm getting jarred and so whilst it is flat, it's rough and I'm getting pins & needles in my wrists - so new wheels, tires.

The frame now is aluminium - so it's fairly light.
Rammstein
Getbig III

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:28:38 AM »

I was recommended bikes from Specialized:

http://www.specialized.com/

29 inches apparently makes the ride more comfortable.
FermiDirac
Getbig III

That'll do pig, that'll do

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:52:19 AM »

I was recommended bikes from Specialized:

http://www.specialized.com/

29 inches apparently makes the ride more comfortable.

Specialized is overpriced as hell though, rather go Santa Cruz or similar for that sum.
Rammstein
Getbig III

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:01:41 AM »

Specialized is overpriced as hell though, rather go Santa Cruz or similar for that sum.

Could be. I didn't research it any further.

However, the recommendations came independently from two experienced riders.
ronnyg801
Getbig II

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »

Each big company is going to have a great value in one or two segments, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz. All have competitive pricing when really comparing apples to apples, which is hard to do unless you are a bike geek.

ANYTHING will be far better than your 10 year old trek, not bashing on it but bikes are like everything else, the ENTIRE industry is different about every five years.

By the sounds of your riding,  you do want a 29er XC, possibly Hardtail. The big wheels will help eat up small bumps and roll way better for your situation than 26".

My honest opinion on brand, don't worry about it, ALL bigger companies make a very capable bike for your demands, pick a SHOP you want to work with, if you don't already have a shop. If you are THEIR customer and they are YOUR shop, ask them honestly who they get the best service from, on a rep and manufacturer level. THAT is the bike you want to buy, here is why. They have the best relationship with that brand, they sell the most of that brand so they know it inside and out well and if they have that relationship with the manufacturer/ rep it will be the easiest to warrantee or service should something go wrong.

Like you mentioned, you have had that trek 10 years, you will probably have this one another 10, you want to work with guys who know it well. buy a shop not a bike Wink.
pedro01
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »

Thanks Ronny...

The shops I have been to so far have all been aligned with a brand - but the shop I feel most comfortable with is Probike in Lumpini who sell mostly Trek bikes - http://www.probike.co.th/en/product.php?cate=2&subcate=3

They really took care of me when I got the old bike,

Shame it's the holidays here (Songkran aka Thai New Year) - I already decided not to get a bike without seeing them first, so I will take your words under advisement.

These guys did really sort me out last time - it was obviously the perfect bike for me because after all this time I'm worried about the next one not being as good.
diesel24v
Getbig II

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 09:45:17 PM »

i personally like the Specialized 29ers,  my dad rides one he paid like $4500 for it.....the thing with the 29" wheels is I can tell they go thru the trails a lot better and handle just everything a lot better. ive ridden it several times and used to have another one that only had suspension in the front. the full suspension bikes like he has are really only "race bikes" but you could get one a lot cheaper for under a grand that's still in great condition just have to search. I can post a pic tomorrow
ronnyg801
Getbig II

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 10:46:05 PM »

I would say you are on the right track, if the shop is close and you both already have a history together. Trek designs some nice stuff as well. Very clean.
pedro01
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »

Here's my current bike - with road tires on and the "canal path pedals".

I do have clip in shoes & pedals but the canal paths I ride on are 1.5 meters wide in places with a 6-9 feet drop either side. They have dogs too on there.

This is one of the better maintained paths - almost 2 meters across. I guess. I'd say 60% of my rides are on these, then the rest split between roads and dirt tracks. Those road tires have killed my wrists on the tracks but the things just never puncture.

When a dog comes along and is aggressive, I tend to put my bike between myself and the dog and chase them off. I did used to just ride past them but then I got bitten badly by a nutty dog and had to have rabies jabs.

I'm not sure what sort of pedals to get this time round, is there any new tech pedal-wise? Specifically in stuff that's really fast to get out with so you don't end up in a Thai canal or dog food?

Any anti-dog tech I'd be interested in too!

* bike.JPG (182.53 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 231 times.)
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 06:31:47 AM »

Where is that path? I would be one day dream away from going in the water.
pedro01
Getbig IV

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 07:06:36 AM »

Where is that path? I would be one day dream away from going in the water.

East of Bangkok... was out today again. I don't think they are actually 2 meters wide anywhere - I think 1.5 meters tops.

This is the route - just under 30k

The canal paths go on forever. They used to call Bangkok "The Venice of the East" - of course downtown it's not navigable - but out here, you can go for hours and hours on these canal paths. I have barely scratched the surface. A lot of fun.

Tonight I was out and there was a 4 foot lizard in my path - too bad there were a bunch of angry dogs around and I didn't get a shot off...

For those that know Bangkok - Sukhumvit 77 is along the bottom. This route is 26k off road and 4k on.
no one
Getbig V

have i hurt your feelings?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »

hey dude. funny thread considering i just went thru the same purchase.

i chose 29'er over a 27.5 and the 26. i'll be doing a lot of cross country with it, and i liked the fact i'd have increased tire patch, and more stability on trails. ya the turning radius is a bit wider but for my use i dont plan on doing a lot of technical work.

spend the money and invest in a good one. like you have found w your trek a good bike w good components will last you a decade or better. take the inital outlay and divide that by the number of years you'll have it and the use you'll get out of it. makes laying down 3-4k easier.

i bought a full carbon 29'er hardtail (for my weight) , all x9 components. weighs 22 pounds. its a canadian made bike called Opus (fhast model) , which was what really spurred my purchase as i believe in buying locally. when you consider for the most part its just the frame in most cases that is proprietary, and the components are japanese or american it really doesnt make that big a difference for most people.

honestly bro after all the loyalty your trek has shown you im surprised your not going w a trek 29'er.

* image.jpg (119.32 KB, 640x960 - viewed 77 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!