Author Topic: Worst Gimmicks  (Read 16241 times)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: Worst Gimmicks
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2011, 03:57:43 PM »
You mean the Rhodes Scholar/Olympia winner/guru known as Tbunz?

hahahahaha   yes, him

I remember after Dave had done that for the tenth time one night, the kid melted and sent him a PM which Dave posted...  DAVE, YOU ARE A FAT MOTHER****ER!!  ..... AND IT'S LIGHTS OUT, BABY!!
~

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »

You're right; the tranny gimmick was a huge step UP!!

this reminded me of the Adorable Adrian Adonis

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
this reminded me of the Adorable Adrian Adonis

In my mind, I kind of liken Adrian's "Adorable" gimmick to Matt Borne's Doink the Clown: both men were good workers who actually made a go out of an idea that was probably created by Vince solely for his own amusement.

The old man has been known to do that quite often to his talent.
It's "kinda" neat when it backfires on him; although, it just translates to more money for him in the end.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »
What VKM did with Adonis was pathetic.  If you ever saw him in Texas or Southwest Championship wrestling, he was awesome.  And his tagteam with Ventura in the AWA was pure gold.....I think they reteamed in the WWF for a time too, but can't remember that for sure.  The East-West Connection !!!

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »
Adonis and Dick Murdoch were tag champs when i first started watching wrestling. I was young, from Los Angeles and not fully aware of the "truth" of wrestling, but i remember thinking 'man, is everyone from Texas that mean?' When Murdock smiled with no teeth i shit a brick.

ps, i realize that AA wasnt from Texas now

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »
Adonis and Dick Murdoch were tag champs when i first started watching wrestling. I was young, from Los Angeles and not fully aware of the "truth" of wrestling, but i remember thinking 'man, is everyone from Texas that mean?' When Murdock smiled with no teeth i shit a brick.

ps, i realize that AA wasnt from Texas now

I believe that Murdoch was Godfather to one of our Mods.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 02:58:56 AM »
How about Naked Mideon.....another classic

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2011, 12:02:26 PM »

I believe that Murdoch was Godfather to one of our Mods.

Yes he was.

I love this thread , where do I begin?

Vince took all these guys that were stars other places and gave them stupid gimmicks . I feel he did this intentionally trying to prove something.

Lets all not forget "The Stalker" Berry Windom Or The Repo Man also The Skinner , Steve Keirn is a good worker but i thought the gimmick was dumb .

As far as Goldust is concerned  he got over well with the crowed , he was a good heel or baby face.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
oh yea Sparky Plug ... :-\

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2011, 02:20:15 AM »
The Berzerker

Battle Kat

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »
billy graham awesome initial bber wwf champ,,then loses comes back as far east trained karate champ and gets chicken winged by baclund,then again late 80's crowd favorite bad hip in tyed dyed outfit but still big as arms ..so i can't say bad gimmicks all just recreating i guess.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »
This is one guy that I've always hated the most.
lex looks good there but's about as clean as was in his prime,,1991 was the gov't drug act,vince cleaned house quick..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »
This is one guy that I've always hated the most.

I don't think they could have pushed him any harder.

Vince was so desperate for a "new Hulk Hogan."
But, to Lex's credit - that was a very tough time in pro-wreslting; particularly the WWF.
Hell, even Hogan couldn't cut it as the "new Hulkster," if you know what I mean.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2011, 06:08:39 PM »
lex looks good there but's about as clean as was in his prime,,1991 was the gov't drug act,vince cleaned house quick..

The best Lex was the 4 Horseman version... That was the best run he ever had... Great US champ at the time too.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »
The best Lex was the 4 Horseman version... That was the best run he ever had... Great US champ at the time too.

I agree that his NWA work was by far better than that disaster he ran in the Fed.
I was just always indifferent to Luger - at any time.

In what era in the Federation history do you think he could have been successful? I think this guy is the "Total Package" of loserness. Theres a few guys that Bret couldn't make look golden and this guy was one of them. All physique.

I think he could have worked somewhere on the card; just not at the very top like they tried to force him.
As Tu pointed out, Lex faired well in Georgia.
I think the biggest reason he "failed" in WWF was they tried to make him something he wasn't suited to be.

This was at a time when Vince was desperately trying to "manufacture" a new champion to take Hogan's spot.
In looking for a new face to carry the company, the old man tried a number of guys in the driver's seat: Diesel, Sid, Luger...all failed.
Even Shawn couldn't cut it. He had an extremely devoted, but extremely small fanbase.
The WWF's bleakest financial years were during Shawn's reign as champ - that's directly from Dave Meltzer's newsletter.

Bret was probably about the best option they had at the time.
And, unlike the Luger's & Sid's, Bret earned the spot by proving himself with hard work and excellent performances.

Lex belonged, just not in that spot.