Author Topic: 2012 NFL  (Read 54367 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: 2011 NFL
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2011, 01:21:10 PM »
Just my opinion.  You can make an argument for any number of players, including Lewis, Brady, AP, etc. 

When I watch him play, I see a smart, physical, fast player who is all over the field.  Usually making the right decisions.  Completely disrupting the O.  Really dictates the play of the D.  Has to be accounted for on pretty much every play. 

So does each of the players I mentioned. Troy is possibly the best safety in the league, but again, a case can be made for Ed Reed... He does not do more on the field than the other players I mentioned... I didn't even mention Peyton as he's injured, but obviously his team is suffering without him.

Do you believe that Pittsburgh would have beat an Indy team with Manning this past week?

I doubt that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2011, 01:27:04 PM »
So does each of the players I mentioned. Troy is possibly the best safety in the league, but again, a case can be made for Ed Reed... He does not do more on the field than the other players I mentioned... I didn't even mention Peyton as he's injured, but obviously his team is suffering without him.

Do you believe that Pittsburgh would have beat an Indy team with Manning this past week?

I doubt that.

I think Indy likely would have won had Manning played.  That Indy D is very good, especially their D-line.  Freeney is a beast.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »
I think Indy likely would have won had Manning played.  That Indy D is very good, especially their D-line.  Freeney is a beast.

Yes, yes he is... Will once again be a pro-bowl selection I'm sure.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »
Just my opinion.  You can make an argument for any number of players, including Lewis, Brady, AP, etc. 

When I watch him play, I see a smart, physical, fast player who is all over the field.  Usually making the right decisions.  Completely disrupting the O.  Really dictates the play of the D.  Has to be accounted for on pretty much every play. 

He's a very special player.  Very few in the NFL that can do what he does:

Cover 1 on 1
Play zone
Tackle well
And rush passer

Also great instincts. 

Hard to find a player like that. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
He's a very special player.  Very few in the NFL that can do what he does:

Cover 1 on 1
Play zone
Tackle well
And rush passer

Also great instincts. 

Hard to find a player like that. 

Completely agree.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »
Seriously? The BEST player in the NFL?

Maybe the best Safety... Although Ed Reed comes up there.

To say he's a better player than Ray Lewis or Tom Brady or even Adrian Peterson is a stretch.

Definitely in the top 10 though.

ray lewis?  it's 2011, not 2001 ::)

E
E

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2011, 04:46:37 PM »
ray lewis?  it's 2011, not 2001 ::)

E

Earl, we get you're on everything Pittsburghs nuts, but if you really want to break it down:

Ray Lewis:

Season Outlook      Tackles      Sacks      Interceptions      Misc
       G       Solo   Ast   Total       Sack   YdsL       Int   Yds   IntTD       DefTD   FFum   PD   Sfty   
 Last 4 Games   4       31   5   36       1.0   9       1   4   0       -   2   2   -   
   Week 17 (CIN)   1       9   2   11       0.0   0       0   0   0       -   0   0   -   
   Week 1 (PIT)   1       6   1   7       0.0   0       1   4   0       -   1   1   -   
   Week 2 (@TEN)   1       6   2   8       0.0   0       0   0   0       -   0   1   -   
   Week 3 (@STL)   1       10   0   10       1.0   9       0   0   0       -   1   0   -   
 2011 Year to Date   3       22   3   25       1.0   9       1   4   0       0   2   2   0   

Troy Palumalu

Season Outlook      Tackles      Sacks      Interceptions      Misc
    G       Solo   Ast   Total       Sack   YdsL       Int   Yds   IntTD       DefTD   FFum   PD   Sfty   
 Last 4 Games   4       11   7   18       1.0   0       1   0   0       -   0   4   -   
   Week 17 (@CLE)   1       1   0   1       0.0   0       1   0   0       -   0   1   -   
   Week 1 (@BAL)   1       3   3   6       0.0   0       0   0   0       -   0   0   -   
   Week 2 (SEA)   1       6   2   8       1.0   0       0   0   0       -   0   1   -   
   Week 3 (@IND)   1       1   2   3       0.0   0       0   0   0       -   0   2   -   
2011 Year to Date   3       10   7   17       1.0   0       0   0   0       1   0   3   0   

I've highlighted some items in bold for you. ;)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »
a middle linebacker has more tackles than a safety

haha you have got to be kidding me ;D

E
E

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2011, 08:20:10 PM »

E

It means he's definitely putting in the work Earl.

You are the one who talks about how Troy is all over the field and is involved in every play.... Either he is or he isn't. If he is ,then he would get shared tackles and the like if he's doing all of that right?

I understand you don't like to think that anyone other than someone wearing black and yellow puts in work, but let's be clear here... Baltimore almost had a shutout Sunday and you barely squeaked by with a win.

Now, I'm not taking anything away from Palumalu... He is without a doubt the reason why you won, however to think that he's better than Ray Lewis is being disrespectful to someone who has just as much impact on the field, if not more so, then your boy.

That's just the facts, and while I understand that people like to tug on hus nuts, and much of it is deserved, if you're going to sit there and tell me that he is better than Ray Lewis, you're might as well stop the discussion because there is nothing to be gained from it.

I have no bias in this what so ever, but feel free to take in what I'm saying and retort by telling me how I'm some kind of hater.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 2011 NFL Free agency - The NFL has returned.
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
10 wins wasn't good enough to get in from the NFC East. But 7-9 was good enough to win a horrible division. You're comparing apples to oranges dude. Sure they won 10 games last season but how is that a guarantee that they're going to be better in 2011? Every season is different and any team can come out of nowhere.

Here's the irony, though. For all the talk about how horrible the NFC West is, the winner of that division has made it to at least the divisonal round over the past six seasons.

2005 Seahawks: NFC Champions

2006 Seahawks: Divisional Round (the infamous botched snap by Tony Romo, saved the Seahawks in the Wild Card round).

2007 Seahawks: Divisional Round (beat an emotional Redskins team, driven by the loss of Sean Taylor, in the Wild Card round).

2008 Cardinals: NFC Champions

2009 Cardinals: Divisional Round (wild shootout with Packers, beat GB in the Wild Card Round with that sack-fumble-TD in overtime).

2010 Seahawks: Divisional Round (first losing team to win their division, knocked out the defending SB champion Saints, Marshawn Lynch HUMILITATED Tracy Porter with that stiff-arm on the long TD run).

The division may be weak; but its champion has done serious damage in the playoffs.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2011, 07:31:52 AM »
^^^^

so you mean there is hope if the Texans make the playoffs this season?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2011, 07:35:16 AM »
^^^^

so you mean there is hope if the Texans make the playoffs this season?

There's hope for ANYBODY who makes the playoffs. Everybody thought the Saints would have a cakewalk over the Seahawks last year. If you had told anyone that Brees would throw for multiple TDs, the Saints would put up 36 points, but they'd still LOSE, people would have laughed at you.

My Bucs could have run the table, had we been able to get into the dance. That's why I don't like that STUPID strength-of-schedule tiebreaker.

They went 10-6, with just as many conference wins as the Packers (they didn't play them head-up). I wish the NFL had an extra week, for a play-in game, to determine who makes the playoffs.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2011, 08:46:15 AM »

E

True.  Not a good comparison.  The MLB is usually the team's leading tackler will almost always have more tackles than a DB.  Only time you see a DB as the leading tackler is when the D sucks.  I've seen that one too many times.   :-\

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »
It means he's definitely putting in the work Earl.

You are the one who talks about how Troy is all over the field and is involved in every play.... Either he is or he isn't. If he is ,then he would get shared tackles and the like if he's doing all of that right?

I understand you don't like to think that anyone other than someone wearing black and yellow puts in work, but let's be clear here... Baltimore almost had a shutout Sunday and you barely squeaked by with a win.

Now, I'm not taking anything away from Palumalu... He is without a doubt the reason why you won, however to think that he's better than Ray Lewis is being disrespectful to someone who has just as much impact on the field, if not more so, then your boy.

That's just the facts, and while I understand that people like to tug on hus nuts, and much of it is deserved, if you're going to sit there and tell me that he is better than Ray Lewis, you're might as well stop the discussion because there is nothing to be gained from it.

I have no bias in this what so ever, but feel free to take in what I'm saying and retort by telling me how I'm some kind of hater.

troy doesn't even lead the steelers in tackles, middle linebackers are supposed to lead the team

your argument doesn't fly

is ray better at his position today than troy is at his position?

NO!!

heck ray isn't even the best linebacker on his own team, suggs is better today

E
E

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2011, 10:20:03 AM »
troy doesn't even lead the steelers in tackles, middle linebackers are supposed to lead the team

NO!!

E

There are only a handful of linebackers who I'd put in the same category of greatness as Ray Lewis. One of them, YES, is a BUC: Derrick Brooks!!

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »

NO!!

E

Insane... Ray is still the best linebacker in the NFL.

You have got to be shitting me Earl... But as I said, this is a discussion destined to go nowhere, so you can believe whatever you want.

At the end of the day, Troy is not the best player in the NFL... and he's even behind Ray Lewis... That's the way it goes.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »

You have got to be shitting me Earl... But as I said, this is a discussion destined to go nowhere, so you can believe whatever you want.

At the end of the day, Troy is not the best player in the NFL... and he's even behind Ray Lewis... That's the way it goes.

oh brother you know football as well as i know rocket science

i'm not going to even bother wasting my time, the argument is that silly ::)

i never said troy was the best player in the nfl, but ray lewis being mentioned is beyond laughable

E
E

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2011, 03:36:49 PM »
oh brother you know football as well as i know rocket science

i'm not going to even bother wasting my time, the argument is that silly ::)

i never said troy was the best player in the nfl, but ray lewis being mentioned is beyond laughable

E

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: September 28, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »
A linebacker and safety are very different.  Comparing the two is dumb. 

I hope no one is saying that because a certian middle linebacker has more tackles That makes him better than Troy. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2011, 08:10:22 PM »
A linebacker and safety are very different.  Comparing the two is dumb. 

I hope no one is saying that because a certian middle linebacker has more tackles That makes him better than Troy. 

No... no one is saying that.

I used those stats simply to show that Ray Lewis is obviously doing his job in the NFL today as Earl tried to say that because it's 2011 and not 2001 that Ray Lewis shouldn't be considered the best.

My point was that obviously Ray Lewis, while it being 10 years past what Earl deems Ray Lewis' prime so to speak, that he obviously is working his ass off and that because it's 2011 and not 2001, it takes nothing away from Ray's gameplay.

If you look at who the absolute best players are in the NFL today, and you put Troy over Ray Lewis, you're simply being delusional.

Neither one of them is the BEST player in the NFL... No matter what you want to say, as of this point in 2011, Tom Brady is the BEST player in the NFL.

I don't even like Brady, but that's the way it is.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2011, 12:48:11 PM »
Hard to argue 1 position versus another.

But, also, hard to argue that Brandy isn't the best QB in the game.  So i agree with you.

Do you think Ray is better ATM then let's say....Willis?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »
Just like I said comparing Ed Reed to Troy is dumb. Sure, they're both safeties back there but each have different responsibilities against the pass/run. A free safety and strong safety ARE NOT the same.

Ray is not the best middlelinebacker in the NFL right now. I think that goes to Patrick Willis. And I'm the biggest Ray Lewis homer ever. But you don't continue to play 16 seasons at age 36 because of past reputation. He's still out there playing because quite simply...he can still play at a very high level. If Ray's not in the MLB top 3, then someone tell me who are the top 3 right now.

And comparing Suggs to Ray is dumb also. Suggs is a hybrid DE/OLB in their 3-4 scheme and mainly plays with one hand in the dirt.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »
Hard to argue 1 position versus another.

But, also, hard to argue that Brandy isn't the best QB in the game.  So i agree with you.

Do you think Ray is better ATM then let's say....Willis?

I think he has played better up to this point in the season.. I think that we will have to revisit after 16 games.

I think he was better last year.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
After 16 years to be playing at that level is remarkable no doubt.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #199 on: September 30, 2011, 06:16:50 AM »
Looks like Osi is back for the Gmen this week.