Author Topic: Who is the most overrated fighter in the history of the sport?  (Read 20337 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Who is the most overrated fighter in the history of the sport?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 02:06:27 PM »
Wanderlei Silva.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »
Wanderlei Silva.

wow.........not sure if youre serious  ???

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
Certainly.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
Wanderlei Silva.

Go ask Rampage or Sakuraba how overrated he is.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 06:16:55 AM »
I'll ask Chris Leben.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 08:42:02 AM »
I'll ask Chris Leben.

Wanderlia is past his prime. He was at the top of the lhw heap for a long time in his prime people were afraid to fight him. He had a lot of great wins over legit names. If he looses this fight to Cung it's time to hang them up.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »
Wanderlia is past his prime. He was at the top of the lhw heap for a long time in his prime people were afraid to fight him. He had a lot of great wins over legit names. If he looses this fight to Cung it's time to hang them up.

Fedor, Liddell, Couture are all being judged here based on more recent fights. I'm just applying the same logic to Silva. They were all monsters at one point and hardly overrated.

In the UFC? I don't think I've seen the guy win a fight.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »
Fedor, Liddell, Couture are all being judged here based on more recent fights. I'm just applying the same logic to Silva. They were all monsters at one point and hardly overrated.

I see your point his ufc career has been less than stellar except for the fight he had with Liddell and the his epic knockout of Keith Jardine.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 04:54:10 PM »

were talking about prime and wandy was not overrated. sloppy yes but overrated hell no

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 05:09:04 PM »
were talking about prime and wandy was not overrated. sloppy yes but overrated hell no

"Fedor, Liddell, Couture are all being judged here based on more recent fights. I'm just applying the same logic to Silva. They were all monsters at one point and hardly overrated."

mame09

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 05:25:02 PM »
"Fedor, Liddell, Couture are all being judged here based on more recent fights. I'm just applying the same logic to Silva. They were all monsters at one point and hardly overrated."

u got to be a dick to judge fighters on there recent fights. were talking about prime.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 05:38:08 PM »
u got to be a dick to judge fighters on there recent fights. were talking about prime.

I'm clearly not getting through to you.

Good day, sir.

mame09

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
I'm clearly not getting through to you.

Good day, sir.

not you this is for everyone

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 11:55:08 PM »
Kimbo Slice? 

Regarded by some as invincible before he got KTFO in 10 seconds by a guy with pink hair.
Yip point there however he hardly had enough fights in MMA to judge that point properly on a fight, Kimbo was a good Street fighter (no hes sure as hell is no Lenny McLean) but he was a good Fighter on the footpath, in the mma ring with rules against trained fighters not so, theres always too many Variables when and where rules are involved, ive heard hes now trying boxing....might be a bit late in the piece for him there.... However he will have a better chance @ the lower B-Grade Boxers than the same Ranked MMA Fighters.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 05:28:12 PM »
not you this is for everyone

Sorry, my mistake.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 11:17:58 PM »

i agree. i remember in pride guys went in almost expecting to lose. he had an Aura about him. he was aggressive and very dangerous. one of the best IMO
irongearco.com

suckmymuscle

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 03:54:40 AM »
I'll ask Chris Leben.

Yep, because we should base all of the career and achievements of a fighter on one fight where he was almost 35 years old and recovering from surgery on his knees and back.

Fail

SUCKMYMUSCLE

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 07:10:45 AM »
  Yep, because we should base all of the career and achievemts of a fighter on one fight where he was almost 35 years old and recovering from surgery on his knees and back.

Fail

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Sucky you think Wand has anything left? The last fight with Leben left me with a terrible taste. I'm kind of afraid to watch him fight now it hurts me a lot to see him get knocked out.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »
  Yep, because we should base all of the career and achievemts of a fighter on one fight where he was almost 35 years old and recovering from surgery on his knees and back.

Fail

SUCKMYMUSCLE

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
Sucky you think Wand has anything left? The last fight with Leben left me with a terrible taste. I'm kind of afraid to watch him fight now it hurts me a lot to see him get knocked out.

Wand is done.  Nothing for him to be ashamed of though. 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »

Wandy is my favorite MMA fighter of all times, but I don't think he has a career left. He is 35 and a very old 35 since he has been fighting for 15 years. He also has suffered severe injuries to both of his knees and to many disks in his spine. He is finished. But...I think he should and can give a severe beating to Chael Sonnen for all the things Sonnen said about him like that he is not good enough to fight in the UFC and that all his fights in PRIDE were fixed. Wrestlers have always had a hard time with Wandy, and he is still a knock out artist. He should train like a madman for 6 months, come back to fight Sonnen, give him the beating of a lifetime and then retire. That would be a golden way to finish his career. Like Coltrane said, he has nothing left to prove. He is almost universally regarded as one of the top 5 MMA fighters of all times in all weight classes.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 02:46:07 AM »
 Wandy is my favorite MMA fighter of all times, but I don't think he has a career left. He is 35 and a very old 35 since he has been fighting for 15 years. He also has suffered severe injuries to both of his knees and to many disks in his spine. He is finished. But...I think he should and can give a severe beating to Chael Sonnen for all the things Sonnen said about him like that he is not good enough to fight in the UFC and that all his fights in PRIDE were fixed. Wrestlers have always had a hard time with Wandy, and he is still a knock out artist. He should train like a madman for 6 months, come back to fight Sonnen, give him the beating of a lifetime and then retire. That would be a golden way to finish his career. Like Coltrane said, he has nothing left to prove. He is almost universally regarded as one of the top 5 MMA fighters of all times in all weight classes.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

6 months training for that fight wont help him in any way, as you stated he is an old 35 now so why do you believe he will suddenly be better? This wandy isnt getting anywhere near Sonnen, it would be as good an MMA rape as you would see. If A. Silva couldnt do anything to him - and his stand up is the best you will see in any division - then how is wandy expected to get to him?

suckmymuscle

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 04:50:02 AM »
6 months training for that fight wont help him in any way, as you stated he is an old 35 now so why do you believe he will suddenly be better? This wandy isnt getting anywhere near Sonnen, it would be as good an MMA rape as you would see. If A. Silva couldnt do anything to him - and his stand up is the best you will see in any division - then how is wandy expected to get to him?

Ok, first of all, Silva went into that fight with two broken ribs. Secondly, Sonnen was cheating with steroids. Steroids increase your pain threshold and your will to win. He beat on Anderson for 5 rounds, but did he do any damage? Silva had barely a black eye at the post-fight press conference. Sonnen can't bust a grape. In a rematch, Silva might kill Sonnen. We might actually watch the first death in MMA.

Wandy has some of the best takedown defense among strikers in all divisions, and he is devastating when he gets you in the clinch with those knees. I can see a furious Wandy clinching with Sonnen every time the latter tries to take him down, and kneeing his head in. If Sonnen does take him down, he won't be able to knock Wandy out on the ground-and-pound. He is no Chris Leben. He has no power at all. The guy hits like a primary school girl. What is Sonnen going to do in this fight against Wandy except getting knocked out or TKO's on the ground?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 06:41:14 AM »
 Ok, first of all, Silva went into that fight with two broken ribs. Secondly, Sonnen was cheating with steroids. Steroids increase your pain threshold and your will to win. He beat on Anderson for 5 rounds, but did he do any damage? Silva had barely a black eye at the post-fight press conference. Sonnen can't bust a grape. In a rematch, Silva might kill Sonnen. We might actually watch the first death in MMA.

Wandy has some of the best takedown defense among strikers in all divisions, and he is devastating when he gets you in the clinch with those knees. I can see a furious Wandy clinching with Sonnen every time the latter tries to take him down, and kneeing his head in. If Sonnen does take him down, he won't be able to knock Wandy out on the ground-and-pound. He is no Chris Leben. He has no power at all. The guy hits like a primary school girl. What is Sonnen going to do in this fight against Wandy except getting knocked out or TKO's on the ground?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

First point: absolutely ridiculous statement to make.

Second point: He doesnt have awesome KO power, but he'll have enough to knock out wandy if hes on top of him hammering down blows repeatedly. You seem to think that even though his punch resistance is at its all time worst he'll still be a superman against Sonnen - why is this? Sonnen only needs to control him on the ground for 3 rounds - which he is more than capable of doing - to get a decision victory and then what will the excuses be?

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 06:49:54 AM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Since when have steroids improved a guys will to win and their pain threshold? PMSL do you make things up for the sake of it? Ridiculous man ;D