Author Topic: Logic and the Problem of Evil  (Read 1472 times)

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
Logic and the Problem of Evil
« on: July 08, 2011, 06:55:05 AM »

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: Logic and the Problem of Evil
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 07:59:55 AM »
Read and discuss

http://www.iep.utm.edu/evil-log/
Dude, this is a very cool read.  I've studied a lot of this information previously.....the free will defense and such.  I glossed it quickly, but will review in detail later on.  For me, the hardest aspects of "evil" pertain to natural disasters and the divine purpose(s) for them.  People's ability to choose good or evil is not in question for me....maybe the article will give more perspective on that.  Again, it's the necessity for calamity, destruction outside the scope of free will that leaves many flat.  I've read some great perspectives, but the simplist explanation for me resides in the timelessness of God, the brevity of human life in comparison to eternity and the idea that natural disasters ("evil") often bring out the best in others ("good").  The potential for goodness is often more clearly evident through the shroud of evil, the brightest light is most distinguishable in the depths of darkness, genuine love is often found as a result of the greatest evil.  I also look at the timelessness of God and realize that his perspective is infinite while our is finite.  God can perceive past, present and future in one state eliminating the element of time while we can only review the past, live in the present and imagine the future.  In the face of natural disasters we only see the present calamity, but what about the unity of people, the colloboration of neighbors, the union of community and other aspects of goodness we can't see but that do arise out of natural "evil" that God has clearly scoped out.  Will this notion comfort those left behind that have lost loved ones in the face of natural disaster?  Unfortunately for some it won't, but for other that know the love of God it does.   I also consider the brevity of human life....the fact that death as perceived by us is simply not the same perception as defined by God.  For unbelievers death is the end, but for believers  human lives are a vapor, a blink of eye in comparison to eternity.  If a man took a single grain of sand from one side of the world to the other every 100,000 years and repeated this process until every grain of sand was transported eternity would have only just begun.   Our lives are merely a preparation for what is to come (if you belief).  If you don't belief then the natural disasters and other evils of the world appear illogical if the existance of an all-powerful, all-loving, all-knowing God is real.  Why can't he simply snuff them out?  He doesn't snuff them out because he can't....those types of ideas.  I have experienced the love of God, I have experienced firsthand the miracles in my own life.  I'm covered by the Holy Spirit everyday and have not a single reservation about God's existance or love.  Sure I wish I had all the answers and could comprehend the full scope of God's plan, but I can't.  We all make some grand assumptions and try and eliminate or put God in a box and there are some brilliant minds out there that can blend together words and erase the need for God.  For me the greatest answers lie in the personal relationship I have with Christ.  The aspect that unbelievers miss is the genuine, open-hearted, humble pursuit of a relationship with God.  He knows the contents of our hearts and will respond accordingly.  I dare nonbelievers to pursue a genuine relationship with God and see if he doesn't respond.  That's all I want for others.....to know the love of God.  

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 05:56:20 PM »
I was really expecting a longer discussion of this article

it's an easy read and very interesting in case anyone cares

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
I'll read it and share my thoughts, Magoo.  In the mean time while I find time to read the entire article, can you share with us what you think of the article?  What are your thoughts on the logical problem of Evil and God?  How did this article affect your beliefs and do you agree or disagree with it?