Author Topic: once you reach natural limits, should you cut back to 1-2 time a week training?  (Read 7902 times)

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
  • ...but it's just an empty sandwich bag...
The more consistently you train and eat the more you grow. Natural or not. 1 to 2 work outs a week? What fucken pussies are u? Mental failure at its best.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I haven't followed Mentzer's routine, but I do agree with this 100%....as soon as I backed off significantly I realized I can both retain and even build with less.  I've also been the strongest when I back off.  Also I liked that Mentzer said that the outrageous amounts of food bodybuilders consume is unecessary.  You don't need 6000-8000 calories per day, just need slightly increased protein intake and that's sufficient for growth....I also find this to be true.  

Mentzer's advice has sent more people to the hospital than it has to the posing dais. Besides, HE (and his brother) may not have needed higher calories. But other people do. I would have never even broken 200 lbs, had I not pushed my calories beyond the 5000 calories mark in my younger years.

Some people can grow on lower calories; other need higher amounts. Plus, once you get to a certain size (and a certain age), you don't need as much. I certain don't need as much as I did 10-15 years ago (thank goodness!!).

If you're skinny, steak/ground beef, whole eggs and milk should be on one side of your diet and weight gainer shakes should be on the other. Throw in the veggies to get the fiber, vitamins, and minerals; and business will pick up.

It's about food, FOOD, and more FOOD. When you're not eating it, you should be drinking it. That's the basics for size.

You'd be amazed how many natural guys turn out not to be such "hard gainers" after all, when they take such an approach.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
LOL @ the attention whores saying they are naturals but continue making progress after 10 years of training  :D

el numero uno

• Getbig V
2 days per week may not be enough in my experience. I train 3 times per week and I look the same, also I eat less protein than before, around 100g per day and I was eating around 200g 2 years ago. Training less is cool after a couple years of training, you just mantain what you got, you have more energy and you play with food so you don't eat clean al the time. I already wasted 2 years thinking I could surpass my natural limit, training very very hard and eating a looot of clean food,  ::) not to mention the money I wasted and how my social life became almost zero. Wtf I was thinking??

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
how can anyone seriously like training? that is if you are actually training with a lot of intensity it's torture and u would only do it for gains. but once the gains stop then well....u start wondering

i used to really enjoy training especially when high on weed, the adrenaline rush was immense but god put an end to that. i did enjoy training sober too but after many years realized it was a silly life addiction because i was not happy with my strength or epic leans, then i matured and overcame all that. men are the hardest critics of themselves too...if you quit youll keep your mass but get a little fatter if you choose not to be a caffienaholic
A

el numero uno

• Getbig V
how can anyone seriously like training? that is if you are actually training with a lot of intensity it's torture and u would only do it for gains. but once the gains stop then well....u start wondering

c'mon, if you workout as you want, it's gonna be fun. If you are worried about having an "estricte bodybuilding workout"  ::), then you will hate it after a while, specially if you train very very intense. I'm talking about naturals btw. If you want to stay natural, just go to the gym a couple of days per week and ENJOY your workout.

el numero uno approved

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
How do you know you've reached your "natural limit"?

Sometimes you'd be amazed at what you can do, with a few changes here and there. I used to think that I reached that at age 24, when my max bodyweight was 247 lb. I had a max bench of 375 and 173/4" arms. This was back in 1997.

I stalled for an number of years. The older I got, the greater I was, in my mind. But in 2004 and 2005, I pushed myself, made some changes in my diet here, went a little old-school there.

By Sept. 2005, I exceeded all my previous limit, DRUG-FREE. I bulked up to 252 lbs., pushed 405 for the first time, and had arms at 181/4" arms.

I didn't think I'd be bigger and stronger at 32 than at 24. But, I managed to pull it off.

[/quote

serious question... you got older and stronger but did you go bald as well. if you did it was from the meat. id be interested to know brother.. 405 is a sick benchpress IMO
A

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
I have reached the peak natural human muscular development level at 6'0" with 178 rippling pounds of mass.  Anyone bigger than me is on "the gas".

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Try this.    Legs. 5 to 8 post warmup sets total.  To at least failure. Add forced reps and negatives where practical,  rest 3 to 4 days,  pecs/delts/tis. 8 to 11 post warm up sets same protocol.  Focus on compound exercises, maybe pushdowns, flies and laterals every third workout.  Rest 3 days.  Back/biceps 6 to 9 total sets,  focus on pulldowns, rows and deads, finish off with a couple sets of various curls, your choice. Eat.  Sleep. Watch DVDS .  THANK ME LATER LOL.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Try this.    Legs. 5 to 8 post warmup sets total.  To at least failure. Add forced reps and negatives where practical, 

Unless you're talking about leg curls, thanks but no way in hell.  You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

asbrus

• Getbig IV
I have reached the peak natural human muscular development level at 6'0" with 178 rippling pounds of mass.  Anyone bigger than me is on "the gas".

N0. I'M 5 11 180 5-6 PERCENT AND NEVER T0UCHED ANY DRUG.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
Unless you're talking about leg curls, thanks but no way in hell.  You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.
X2 sounds like boot camp from hell...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

serious question... you got older and stronger but did you go bald as well. if you did it was from the meat. id be interested to know brother.. 405 is a sick benchpress IMO

My hair started thinning in my late 20s; That's just called "Father Time". Since razors are cheaper than Rogaine, I simply decided to shave my head completely bald.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
I wouldn't bother training heavy more then 1-2 a week even if you havent reached your natural limit. So easy to overwhelm your two balls, go too heavy too many times and your body switches from doing light repair work and growing to non stop repair work/maintenance.
all drugs - TPPIIP

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
I cut my training to three days a week. Recovery is a major factor for me on drugs or not. Weightlifting is my passion but 2-3 hours a week in the gym is the only way I can make gains and not burn out from the stress to the CNS.

xander29

• Getbig I
when work out 1x a week, isnt a gym membership kinda  a waste of $$$?

asbrus

• Getbig IV
I'M IN THE GYM 5 DAYS A WEEK BUT I NEVER D0 HIGH V0LUME AND D0 2X A WEEK EACH MUSCLE GR0UP. 2 EXERCISES USUALLY PER MUSCLE WITH 3 SETS EACH.

io856

I'M IN THE GYM 5 DAYS A WEEK BUT I NEVER D0 HIGH V0LUME AND D0 2X A WEEK EACH MUSCLE GR0UP. 2 EXERCISES USUALLY PER MUSCLE WITH 3 SETS EACH.
ass bruise

Meso_z

• Getbig V
I cant workout "2-3" times a week. I just cant.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
i dont recall we asked you how much you trained meso

Meso_z

• Getbig V
i dont recall we asked you how much you trained meso
lol

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
I wouldn't bother training heavy more then 1-2 a week even if you havent reached your natural limit. So easy to overwhelm your two balls, go too heavy too many times and your body switches from doing light repair work and growing to non stop repair work/maintenance.
very very interesting

look i train something like this

monday: 5x5squat, 1x3 bench, 1x3 row, abs, calves
wednesday: 5x5 light front squat, 3x3 deadlift, 5x5 military press, 3x8 weighted chin ups, abs
friday: 1x5squat, 3x3 bench, 3x3 row, 3x8 weighted dips, 3x8 barbell curls, calves

considered cutting wednesday out but i'm not sure

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV

when not making gains on 5 days a week year in year out a gym membership is also a waste

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Nobody wants overwhelmed balls.