Author Topic: I remember when  (Read 12652 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: I remember when
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 05:13:38 AM »
...and for the first time realized how 'trailer park' wrasslin was...and how creepy most of the fans were at this show!

Try going to an indy show. :-X

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »

Try going to an indy show. :-X

I did around 99, and actually it was fuckin' hilarious!...probably because we knew one of the guys wrasslin, but it was so low budget but friggin funny the whole time.  I got spat on after booing some loonie to his face; I guess the indies don't just sit back, dude hocked one and it was like slow-mo to dodge it!  The best part about indies are that everyone is there for the right reason, a good laugh...but low-rent indeed.  Heenan's humanoids for sure!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
I did around 99, and actually it was fuckin' hilarious!...probably because we knew one of the guys wrasslin, but it was so low budget but friggin funny the whole time.  I got spat on after booing some loonie to his face; I guess the indies don't just sit back, dude hocked one and it was like slow-mo to dodge it!  The best part about indies are that everyone is there for the right reason, a good laugh...but low-rent indeed.  Heenan's humanoids for sure!

"Ham & Eggers," baby...all the way. ;D

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 02:08:49 PM »

I've posted this before, but since you mention low-rent indy shows, I wanted to repost. 

TBS used to have this short "kids' news" program called Kids' Beat, and it had a pretty lame theme song (youtube posted).  The reason I mention this is that I was at an indy show in Roanoke, VA once in about 1988 and one of the wrestlers (the "champion"  ::)  ) used this music as his theme song...

~

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
I remember when the WWWF was on at 11 or 12 at night on channel 9 in NY. The Tag belts where on the Valiants or Dean Ho/Tony Garea and Bruno was...............well Bruno!
Baron Miguel Sicluna would open the show against a jobber, Chief Jay Strongbow was hot and every month they would bring in the next challenger for the belt. Kollof, Arian, Stasiak,Kowolski, Duncam and of course Superstar just to name a few.
Putski had a huge belly and Vince did the commentary and interviews.
The business is very different and the performers are very different, all in all very weak story lines no heat no fun.
O well :(

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
I remember when the WWWF was on at 11 or 12 at night on channel 9 in NY. The Tag belts where on the Valiants or Dean Ho/Tony Garea and Bruno was...............well Bruno!
Baron Miguel Sicluna would open the show against a jobber, Chief Jay Strongbow was hot and every month they would bring in the next challenger for the belt. Kollof, Arian, Stasiak,Kowolski, Duncam and of course Superstar just to name a few.
Putski had a huge belly and Vince did the commentary and interviews.
The business is very different and the performers are very different, all in all very weak story lines no heat no fun.
O well :(

How old are you, Vas?
Damn, you're going back to the days of Studio Wrestling!

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »
Studio wrestling !!!! So bad it was good!!!
"Polish Power", The Executioners, Johnny Valiant's trunks with "The End" on his ass lol How about handicap matches?? 2 against 1, or Andre against 3 jobbers, pinning them all, on top of each other and then sitting on the pile  ;D
I am Closer to 50 than 40 "Brutha" ;)
Loved it at the time, had picks of Bruno "lifting" Haystacks off the mat  lol
Haven't watched in years though, rather watch old matches on youtube
The Rock?? Please, his old man was cool, the real Rock, the best was Gordon Solie doing commentary while Rocky Johnson was doing drop-kicks, nice.
I could go on forever.............

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »
"Polish Power", The Executioners, Johnny Valiant's trunks with "The End" on his ass lol How about handicap matches?? 2 against 1, or Andre against 3 jobbers, pinning them all, on top of each other and then sitting on the pile  ;D
The Rock?? Please, his old man was cool, the real Rock, the best was Gordon Solie doing commentary while Rocky Johnson was doing drop-kicks, nice.

;D

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 03:53:51 AM »

Loved Gordon Solie...pronouncing suplex as "su-play" and excitedly yelling, "It's a regular Pier 6er...and Mr. Wrestling II is on the scene!!"
~

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 05:25:59 AM »
Loved Gordon Solie...pronouncing suplex as "su-play" and excitedly yelling, "It's a regular Pier 6er...and Mr. Wrestling II is on the scene!!"

He would actually sell the wrestler by talking about their background, college athletics etc... Talked up Bob Roop, Mike Graham, the Funks and Briscos like they could be in the olympics tomorrow.
He was the best, I remember one Madison Square Garden show where they did a combined card and Vince and Gordon shared the commentary, I can't recall the matches though  ???

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 05:41:03 AM »
He would actually sell the wrestler by talking about their background, college athletics etc... Talked up Bob Roop, Mike Graham, the Funks and Briscos like they could be in the olympics tomorrow.
He was the best, I remember one Madison Square Garden show where they did a combined card and Vince and Gordon shared the commentary, I can't recall the matches though  ???

Was that when Flair worked the program with Backlund while each was champion of their respective promotion?

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 06:00:23 AM »

He even did this with jobbers.  I remember him going on about some jobber that he was offered an athletic scholarship, but instead worked for, and got, an academic scholarship.  Then of course, the guy was beaten in three minutes but some mid-carder. 
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 07:06:39 PM »
vascsurgeon had me at "Gordon Solie"  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »
or his favorite chick donovan,,,,

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 04:17:57 AM »
is Solie the man who we hear at the very opening of Raw, "well yes sir we have a...."? He was before my time but is always highly spoken of on the boards.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 04:31:37 AM »
is Solie the man who we hear at the very opening of Raw, "well yes sir we have a...."? He was before my time but is always highly spoken of on the boards.

Huh, I never paid attention.
That might be him; Vince owns all the footage Gordon appears on.

Trivia - when Gordon passed away, Vince sent a video tribute talking with a lot of the guys who used to work with him, and I believe Jim Ross and several others attended the funeral. I don't believe anyone from WCW went or did anything - and that was Gordon's stopming ground!
Although, to give the devil his credit, Schiavonne did mention on the air, at least once that I can remember, that Gordon was in poor health before he passed.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2012, 05:36:09 AM »

Was that when Flair worked the program with Backlund while each was champion of their respective promotion?

That sounds right the more I think about it, still can't remember, shows you how much Backlund was as a draw ;) I can remember Graham's matches, Bruno's and many of Flair's even Rhodes, Backlund; please wake me when it's over lol

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2012, 06:39:33 AM »
That sounds right the more I think about it, still can't remember, shows you how much Backlund was as a draw ;) I can remember Graham's matches, Bruno's and many of Flair's even Rhodes, Backlund; please wake me when it's over lol

Backlund was hot with the fans at first, but his popularity waned fast during his last WWWF title run. One of the wrestling mags even voted him "Most Overrated Wrestler of the Year."
That’s when Vince Jr. - who’d just “bought” his dad’s company - decided to make Hogan the star.

Hogan would have gone over regardless, but boy; what a stage they had set for him!
From “Howdy Doody,” whom the fans loathed for the three years prior, to the incredibly-despised, evil Iron Sheik (remember the Iranian hostage crisis)…ANYBODY would have gone over in that situation.
Now, put someone like Hulk in a situation like that and BOOM!!!

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 06:28:55 AM »

Backlund was hot with the fans at first, but his popularity waned fast during his last WWWF title run. One of the wrestling mags even voted him "Most Overrated Wrestler of the Year."
That’s when Vince Jr. - who’d just “bought” his dad’s company - decided to make Hogan the star.

Hogan would have gone over regardless, but boy; what a stage they had set for him!
From “Howdy Doody,” whom the fans loathed for the three years prior, to the incredibly-despised, evil Iron Sheik (remember the Iranian hostage crisis)…ANYBODY would have gone over in that situation.
Now, put someone like Hulk in a situation like that and BOOM!!!

True; but I always felt for SBG he was the original and deserved the BOOM[/b] I remember Backlund when he wrestled in Florida, should have stayed there. He fit in better with the smaller better wrestlers there than up north with the punch,kick body slammers. In my opinion anyway.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 06:51:10 AM »
Best announcer of all time,  Bill Mercer a close second.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 07:29:29 AM »
I remember when karl used to "crack one off so hard..." 

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2012, 08:37:11 PM »
Loved Gordon Solie...pronouncing suplex as "su-play"

I actually hated that lol.

I remember when Jesse and Gorilla used to call every major WWF event.

still the best commentator team in history.
Flower Boy Ran Away

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
Some Solie jobber favs on GCW...

Chick Donavan
Mike Jackson
Dale Veasy (sp?)

on a side note he did a GREAT job of putting over Pistol Pez Whatley leading up to Pez breaking Buzz Sawyers undefeated streak on TV.

add some others...

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2012, 05:45:10 AM »
I remember when Stables were cool, not factions like Evolution or 4 Horseman but actual Stables.......

I remember when Heavyweight titles meant something and a Short run was 9 mos - 1 yr

I remember the days of flashy tights and robes. My favorite was Rick Rude showing off a new pair of airbrushed tights every week. Best was Jakes wife right on his crotch....

I remember when a 2 hour show consisted of 15 minutes of talking and 1 hr 45 mins of wrestling...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2012, 07:00:22 AM »
My favorite was Rick Rude showing off a new pair of airbrushed tights every week. Best was Jakes wife right on his crotch....

Ha, ha...
As soon as I read the first sentence, I immediately thought of Cheryl Roberts' face on his tights!
When Rude & Heenan appeared on Regis & Kathy Lee, Rude did the striptease de-robing to reveal he had Kathy Lee's face on the front of his tights and Regis' on the ass side. It really got the studio audience going!

I'll have to search for the clip later on; I'm sure someone's got it uploaded somewhere.