Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Sports Discussion Boards
Andrew Luck vs. Robert Griffin
(1/16) > >>
Dos Equis:
So I've been hearing that Luck is the undisputed no. 1 overall pick for the 2012 draft.  But I've been looking at the numbers on Baylor QB Robert Griffin.  Pretty amazing.

Haven't seen either one of them play.  For anyone who has watched both of them, what makes Luck that much better than Griffin? 
The Showstoppa:

--- Quote from: Beach Bum on October 18, 2011, 12:36:08 PM ---So I've been hearing that Luck is the undisputed no. 1 overall pick for the 2012 draft.  But I've been looking at the numbers on Baylor QB Robert Griffin.  Pretty amazing.

Haven't seen either one of them play.  For anyone who has watched both of them, what makes Luck that much better than Griffin? 

--- End quote ---

I like Griffin at the college level, but he is no where near as polished as Luck is right now.  Luck makes some throws that some starting NFL qb's would struggle to make. 
Dos Equis:

--- Quote from: The Showstoppa on October 20, 2011, 10:27:30 AM ---I like Griffin at the college level, but he is no where near as polished as Luck is right now.  Luck makes some throws that some starting NFL qb's would struggle to make. 

--- End quote ---

Thanks.  I guess I need to watch Luck play, because people are fawing all over the kid. 

The thing that stands out to me about Griffin's stats is his completion percentage.  Accuracy is one of the things that translates into NFL success. 

The Showstoppa:

--- Quote from: Beach Bum on October 20, 2011, 02:03:06 PM ---Thanks.  I guess I need to watch Luck play, because people are fawing all over the kid. 

The thing that stands out to me about Griffin's stats is his completion percentage.  Accuracy is one of the things that translates into NFL success. 

--- End quote ---

Baylor has a nice system to help his accuracy, but most of his throws aren't "NFL" type throws....ie: 20 yard outs, etc...  I think Griffin could play in the NFL, but Luck is most likely a Pro Bowl player.
Dos Equis:

--- Quote from: The Showstoppa on October 21, 2011, 07:06:54 AM ---Baylor has a nice system to help his accuracy, but most of his throws aren't "NFL" type throws....ie: 20 yard outs, etc...  I think Griffin could play in the NFL, but Luck is most likely a Pro Bowl player.

--- End quote ---

There is a lot of talk out there about "throwing the ball down the field," but that's not the reality of most offenses these days.  The Bill Walsh Offense (aka the West Coast Offense) run by a lot of offenses in some form or another involves a short-to-mid-range passing game.  

Take a look at Griifin's yards per attempt:  10.7.  Luck's is 9.5.

In the NFL, Rodgers leader the NFL in yards per attempt at 9.75.  Everyone else is less.  Those 20-yard outs are more the exception than the rule.  

That said, I do believe arm strength is important, though not as important as accuracy.  
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version