Author Topic: Anyone Live In Vancouver B.C.  (Read 13818 times)

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
Re: Anyone Live In Vancouver B.C.
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2011, 08:10:52 AM »
ok, you asked about the livibilty of the city, so far you got lots of info about the weather and some weed. I always thought livibilty was about more than that.  No one else has really emphasized the cost of living, the jobs situtation (look at the numbers, some areas are not much different then the States. Yes the States is overall worse now but it is closer to bottoming out, whereas B.C. hasnt even started its correction.) The job field is very narrow. The taxes are insane, so much so that the people have gone beserk when they tried to bring in a new tax called the HST and voted against it becasue they are strapped to the hilt with debt.

For every dollar the average Canadian makes they are in debt $1.50. The countries government had its own stimulas plan for an economy that was tanking, (they dont live on another planet, they are affected by the global downturn as well.) You asked about Vancouver, ( so I am assuming you are looking for urban living), but many posters are talking about areas, (Kamloops, Okanogen), that are sparsly populated which in turn will effect your employment chances as well and travel time.

You mentioned the schooling system but I just read that some Vancouver parents were asked to pay for their kids computer printing paper becasue some school districts are feeling the financial sqeeze, many suburban schools have shut down completly. The health care system is headed for some major funding issues as there are less and less young people available to  pay into a system straining under the baby boomer generations health care. B.C. has the highest level of child poverty in Canada. (read the news)

I can find you tons of newspaper clips about people leaving B.C. becasue the livibility for them sucks and they have better chances elsewhere. Sometimes the grass seems greener when it really isnt. Again, you have not mentioned your job situation or your money situation so I am giving you a view from an angle where all that matters. If it doesnt, then go and let us know how it works out for you. Anyway's, that's it for me. I have tried to strees some important factors that'll help you make a decision as a person that wants to actually live there long term and not just visit and enjoy the weather. Take care bud.
I will consider all things mentioned, thanks again.
T

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »
Check it out. Took only a few minutes to find.

http://www.fraserinstitute.org/research-news/news/display.aspx?id=17445

Average Canadian family pays more in taxes than it does for food, clothing, and shelter combined

VANCOUVER, BC—The average Canadian family spent more than 41 per cent of its annual income on taxes in 2010, more than it paid for food, clothing, and shelter combined, concludes a new study released today by the Fraser Institute, Canada’s leading public policy think-tank.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/public-sectors-carbon-offsets-subsidize-b-c-big-090752409.html

Public institutions such as schools and hospitals spent $18.2 million last year buying carbon offsets to compensate for greenhouse gas emissions -money that subsidized energy-efficiency programs of big industry rather than being reinvested in energy projects within the public sector.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09/08/bc-deficit-triples-with-rejection-of-hst_n_954292.html

B.C. Deficit Triples With Rejection Of HST

B.C.'s finance minister says the province's deficit has tripled because of the rejection of the HST and that is going to mean cuts to government spending in the years ahead.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/06/01/the-real-problem-with-vancouvers-outrageous-house-prices/

The real problem with Vancouver's outrageous house prices

Far more insidious is the impact housing unaffordability is having on employers and the broader economy. You hear stories of smart, young people leaving for jobs elsewhere. At the same time smart, young people from elsewhere aren’t coming here for jobs. The price of real estate and cost of living are too high, while pay is simply too low relative to other parts of the countryThis is very bad. Worse arguably than if house prices crashed. As Vancouver develops a reputation as a place where only the uber-rich can afford to buy property, it could seriously undermine the economy.

dustin

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 10:07:01 AM »
Check it out. Took only a few minutes to find.

http://www.fraserinstitute.org/research-news/news/display.aspx?id=17445

Average Canadian family pays more in taxes than it does for food, clothing, and shelter combined

VANCOUVER, BC—The average Canadian family spent more than 41 per cent of its annual income on taxes in 2010, more than it paid for food, clothing, and shelter combined, concludes a new study released today by the Fraser Institute, Canada’s leading public policy think-tank.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/public-sectors-carbon-offsets-subsidize-b-c-big-090752409.html

Public institutions such as schools and hospitals spent $18.2 million last year buying carbon offsets to compensate for greenhouse gas emissions -money that subsidized energy-efficiency programs of big industry rather than being reinvested in energy projects within the public sector.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09/08/bc-deficit-triples-with-rejection-of-hst_n_954292.html

B.C. Deficit Triples With Rejection Of HST

B.C.'s finance minister says the province's deficit has tripled because of the rejection of the HST and that is going to mean cuts to government spending in the years ahead.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/06/01/the-real-problem-with-vancouvers-outrageous-house-prices/

The real problem with Vancouver's outrageous house prices

Far more insidious is the impact housing unaffordability is having on employers and the broader economy. You hear stories of smart, young people leaving for jobs elsewhere. At the same time smart, young people from elsewhere aren’t coming here for jobs. The price of real estate and cost of living are too high, while pay is simply too low relative to other parts of the countryThis is very bad. Worse arguably than if house prices crashed. As Vancouver develops a reputation as a place where only the uber-rich can afford to buy property, it could seriously undermine the economy.

Why are you so obsessed?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 04:39:49 PM »
Why are you so obsessed?

Why are you so stupid?

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2011, 08:39:15 AM »
T

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 08:56:37 AM »
T

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2011, 10:42:37 PM »
Back up^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
T

dustin

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2011, 09:03:35 PM »
Hey man, I'm not too keen on the housing and mortgaging stuff as my wife bought our current home by herself. But I'm looking into buying a home under my name. Lots of great homes on the Island right now. Haven't looked too far outside of my area because obviously I don't want to move anywhere else, but it seems pretty good.

Good financing rates and lots of good deals. If you buy new, you'll have to pay HST (12%) HOWEVER, there is an HST rebate that you may qualify for. It brings the tax down to just the GST which is only 5%. Once I check into it more I can provide more info. A lot of developers are including the HST rebate in their deals though so you don't have to throw that down right away. I don't know about other closing costs like land transfer fees and all that other shit because I really don't know if it differs in Canada and the US, but once I talk to more mortgage brokers and my realtor I'll ask if they know.

I was going to refer you to another guy if you were serious, but I found out the realtor we bought our home with actually works for him. The dude is fucking balling to the max. He must have at least 4 luxury cars and a few homes because I've seen him rolling all over town like a G. And this realtor we're dealing with is a real sweetheart. I'm actually a complete dickhead for forgetting about her. She helped us into our beautiful home but we're going to be expanding the family and want a place we can rent out to my grandmother as she's getting older.

After I talk to the appropriate people over the next two days I can hit you up with any pertinent info. People bitch and complain about Vancouver and the Island, but the fall and winters are beautiful so FUCK the haters. :)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »
Perfect storm brewing. You have to be blind not to see they are in deep shit.

For the first time in ten years there are now more people leaving B.C. then are coming because its an overly expensive dump but the people are brainwashed into beleiving they live in "the best place on Earth".

Incomes, house prices leave young B.C. families worse off than anywhere in Canada

B.C. is the only province in Canada to report a drop in average income for this age group, the study found.

At the same time, housing prices have skyrocketed across Canada, and nowhere more so than in B.C.[/b] Real estate prices have risen 149 per cent in this province since 1976, when housing costs accounted for less than three times the average household income for young couples. Today, it is seven times as much.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Incomes+house+prices+leave+young+families+worse+than+anywhere+Canada/5567613/story.html#ixzz1cfXVLnTX

Leading realtor calls Vancouver's housing market "unhealthy"

Andrew Hasman has been in the business since 1993.  "The local person is completely out of this market," he said. While skyrocketing prices have made business good, Hasman said that the current market, with housing prices rising 10-15 per cent each year, is unhealthy.

"Anytime you have extremes in markets, it's never healthy," he said. "You end up with a bubble. If the local economic base can't support these levels, then at some point you're going to have a lot of people burned big time.  It's not sustainable."

Leading real estate professionals reacted today to yesterday's news that home prices in Vancouver now exceed New York and  London's. One realtor said he believes that buyers from Mainland China have pushed the local buyers out of the market. Each cited homes bought and traded like stocks and bonds and investment properties sitting empty, but some see the Chinese home rush as a bonus to Vancouver, while another sees it as a liability.

"Many people who buy here aren't buying because they're moving here," said Hasman. "They're buying on speculation or to park money here ... There have been cases where people come and purchase five or six houses. No one needs five to six houses unless you're speculating."

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/city/2011/05/20/leading-realtor-calls-vancouvers-housing-market-unhealthy

http://vreaa.wordpress.com/2010/08/25/stories-of-people-avoiding-vancouver-vancouver-is-just-too-expensive-for-what-it-is/

MMM – “I recently lost a great young employee from my office here for the sole reason that he was offered a job in the US where he has since purchased a house for around one-fifth of the cost here (which includes not a rental suite but and entire separate rental HOUSE on the grounds). I didn’t believe that people would leave town for this reason myself either until I saw it first hand.”

keL – “I’m a late-twenties engineer (as is my spouse) and most of our friends in our personal and professional networks have a timeline for leaving Vancouver. We’ve already lost several close friends to Ontario, Alberta, the US and even China. A friend of ours who is a surgeon accepted a position in Regina instead of Vancouver citing the cost of living as the reason (specifically housing.. he said “I’m not buying a dump for 750K”).

ams – (33 years old, married, young son) “I have been a consultant for past several years in the software industry and do about 120K to 220K in business per year. I find it depressing that in Vancouver I can’t afford to buy a house. I put in the time doing some serious research and have seen that owning would be financial foolishness.”

ams (anecdote within anecdote) – “When I was renting in Kits, the old man across the street complained me that all his kids were in Eastern Canada because they could not afford to buy real estate in Vancouver.”

DM – “We are Vancouverites who left for 8 years and lived in Hong Kong and returned 2 years ago. Housing was expensive there too, but we were still able to buy a 1300 sq. foot flat with sea views and 25 minutes from the central business district. Even with the downpayment that we have, which is pretty significant, I can’t do the same here.”

Captain Jack – “I’m a professional making 150k a year. Live like a caged rat in a condo. RE has killed my love for the west coast. I’m outta here for good in the next 3 months.”

Makaya – (Moved here from Europe 4 yrs ago; 95K income; rents downtown) “After many discussions with my wife, we have finally decided to leave Vancouver. We have already started to look for jobs and once the right opportunity appears, we’ll be gone for good. Real Estate prices, along with general prices of goods and services here (why does everything has to be more expensive here?), are the things that turn us off, and that’s the reason why we are leaving . Vancouver is just too expensive for what it is.”

DB – “My wife and I, both early-career finance professionals, got sick of watching prices climb based on emotion, hype, and speculation and being pressured by peers to “buy before you miss the market — you don’t want to RENT forever, do you?” We packed up and left Vancouver 8 months ago.”

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:23 PM »
Well hopefully that bubble bursts in the next few years.
T

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »
Well hopefully that bubble bursts in the next few years.

Actually, I was a bit harsh calling the province a dump. Any city that has mountains, ocean, huge forrests, etc..  is naturally beautiful but the realities of the living standards damage that experience.

dustin

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »
Canada is pretty expensive, period. Alberta might be a bit cheaper but it's a dump. I wouldn't want to live in the US just because of money alone. I could make twice as much money and I won't move there.