Author Topic: Gave blood on Mon, trained arms Thurs---Purple spot...  (Read 1920 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Gave blood on Mon, trained arms Thurs---Purple spot...
« on: December 09, 2011, 05:07:11 AM »
On Mon I went to the doctor, they did blood work on left arm, near outer bicep (right in the crease)...I trained arms yesterday, and when I got home, I noticed a light purple spot right where they took the blood...did I pop the vein? It's still there.

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
Re: Gave blood on Mon, trained arms Thurs---Purple spot...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »
They probably poked a vein through. And when doing bis you just reopened the wound. You'll be fine. Doctors are just a bunch of vets without the genuine care for the patient.
Boundary Breaker

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »
Getting blood (for blood work) is a very minor thing. And naturally they poke a vein to draw the blood out. That purple spot is more than likely a bruise where the needle was placed. You probably just noticed that purple mark after the arm workout, but it was slowly developing after the needle work. The next couple of days you may notice it more. If you popped a vein than the whole arm would be purple, black or whatever depending on your skin tone. But the more important thing is that you probably be dead from internal bleeding by now anyway. Good Luck.
F

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
Getting blood (for blood work) is a very minor thing. And naturally they poke a vein to draw the blood out. That purple spot is more than likely a bruise where the needle was placed. You probably just noticed that purple mark after the arm workout, but it was slowly developing after the needle work. The next couple of days you may notice it more. If you popped a vein than the whole arm would be purple, black or whatever depending on your skin tone. But the more important thing is that you probably be dead from internal bleeding by now anyway. Good Luck.
Ha...man, after I got home, I was like WTF! I'm light brown, and it is a light dark spot right around the place they took blood..
They always have a hard time finding my veins, and before that, they poked me in the other arm, and missed the vein...
They probably poked a vein through. And when doing bis you just reopened the wound. You'll be fine.
Doctors are just a bunch of vets without the genuine care for the patient.
Well, I haven't keeled over...and the spot has not grown since yesterday morning.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 02:16:30 PM »
"Your" safe - no worries.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »
On Mon I went to the doctor, they did blood work on left arm, near outer bicep (right in the crease)...I trained arms yesterday, and when I got home, I noticed a light purple spot right where they took the blood...did I pop the vein? It's still there.

Some people reflexively flinch & tense up just prior to a phlebotomy, which often causes bruising.
Similar symptoms can occur if the tech drawing your blood needs multiple attempts to find the vein; it sounds like you were poked a few times.
Also, some people are more sensitive to developing the bruises than others.

You could always do what my uncle does when he gets blood work done: tell them if they don't get it in two tries, then bring over someone who can!
Some phlebotomists are less skilled than others, and some patients are harder to draw.
When both of the above scenarios are present, the patient will often end up a human pin-cushion.