Author Topic: Liberal Media Bias  (Read 166450 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Liberal Media Bias
« Reply #375 on: December 20, 2016, 09:28:55 AM »
BIAS ALERT: Slate switches from defense of Electoral College to calling it a tool of white supremacy
Published December 20, 2016 
FoxNews.com

What a difference four years and Donald Trump's victory make for the liberal site Slate.

Slate published a piece in November 2012 called "In Defense of the Electoral College" that lists five reasons why the system, which allows state electors to ultimately select the future president whether or not that person won the popular vote, is actually great for democracy.

Those reasons include the "certainty of outcome" and being able to avoid run-off elections. 

Of course, that was published in the wake of President Obama's victory over Mitt Romney. The left-leaning site is singing a very different tune this year.

About-face: Slate's opinion of the Electoral College changed dramatically in four years.

Slate published a new piece a few days after this year's election calling the Electoral College an "instrument of white supremacy and sexism."

The writer claims that the Electoral College was used to both perpetuate slavery, through the Three-Fifths Clause that was eventually abolished, and delay the advancement of women's suffrage.

How do the folks at Slate justify this about-face?

They don't, of course. But they do encourage readers to embrace the idea of abolishing the Electoral College entirely.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/12/20/bias-alert-slate-switches-from-defense-electoral-college-to-calling-it-tool-white-supremacy.html

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #376 on: December 20, 2016, 10:51:29 AM »
Yes and Trump recently did a 180 on his view of the electoral college LOL.

This kind of 2nd guessing the official rules AFTER it's over, makes me cringe.

Trump won , end of story.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #377 on: February 01, 2017, 12:05:29 PM »
Oh snap.  This is hilarious.   ;D

Trump: ‘I Don’t Watch CNN’ Because ‘I Don’t Like Watching Fake News’
by Ian Hanchett
1 Feb 2017

During a listening session for Black History Month on Wednesday, President Donald Trump said, “I don’t watch CNN. … I don’t like watching fake news.”

Trump said, “You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago, when somebody said I took the statue out of my office, and it turned out that that was fake news. The statue is cherished. It’s one of the favorite things in the — and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson and we have Dr. Martin Luther King, and we have –, but they said the statue, the bust of Dr. Martin Luther King was taken out of the office, and it was never even touched. So, I think it was a disgrace, but that’s the way the press is, very unfortunate.”

He added, “I don’t watch CNN. … I don’t like watching fake news…but Fox has treated me very nice, wherever fox is, thank you.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/02/01/trump-i-dont-watch-cnn-because-i-dont-like-watching-fake-news/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

gothorium

« Reply #378 on: February 01, 2017, 10:52:32 PM »
Oh snap.  This is hilarious.   ;D

Trump: ‘I Don’t Watch CNN’ Because ‘I Don’t Like Watching Fake News’
by Ian Hanchett
1 Feb 2017

During a listening session for Black History Month on Wednesday, President Donald Trump said, “I don’t watch CNN. … I don’t like watching fake news.”

Trump said, “You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago, when somebody said I took the statue out of my office, and it turned out that that was fake news. The statue is cherished. It’s one of the favorite things in the — and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson and we have Dr. Martin Luther King, and we have –, but they said the statue, the bust of Dr. Martin Luther King was taken out of the office, and it was never even touched. So, I think it was a disgrace, but that’s the way the press is, very unfortunate.”

He added, “I don’t watch CNN. … I don’t like watching fake news…but Fox has treated me very nice, wherever fox is, thank you.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/02/01/trump-i-dont-watch-cnn-because-i-dont-like-watching-fake-news/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

My smug at how good Trump is getting is so huge it could form its own planet.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #379 on: March 02, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »
Study: Nightly News Broadcasts 88 Percent Negative Toward Trump
By Jason Devaney   |    Thursday, 02 Mar 2017

Almost 90 percent of the nightly news broadcasts during President Donald Trump's first month in office presented negative reporting of his administration, according to a new analysis.

The Media Research Center concluded that the three major national news networks dedicated 54 percent of their time, or 16 hours, reporting on the president and his staff. Of that reporting, 88 percent of it was negative.

Last year during the presidential campaign, the Media Research Center found that 91 percent of the reporting on Trump was negative during the three major national news broadcasts.

The largest controversy, at least in the eyes of the nightly news, was Trump's temporary ban on immigration from seven nations with a terror presence. Trump signed the directive Jan. 27, although it has since been placed on hold as the court system looks at it.

Trump is expected to unveil an updated order soon.

The national news broadcasts dedicated 188 minutes to the immigration story, while reporters and anchors sometimes made political statements against it either with their words or actions. For example, NBC's Lester Holt anchored the Jan. 30 news in front of the Statue of Liberty.

Trump and the members of his administration have repeatedly bashed the news media for what they feel is an unfair bias against him.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Nightly-News-Coverage-Trump-Negative/2017/03/02/id/776553/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #380 on: March 02, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »
Study: Nightly News Broadcasts 88 Percent Negative Toward Trump
By Jason Devaney   |    Thursday, 02 Mar 2017

Almost 90 percent of the nightly news broadcasts during President Donald Trump's first month in office presented negative reporting of his administration, according to a new analysis.

The Media Research Center concluded that the three major national news networks dedicated 54 percent of their time, or 16 hours, reporting on the president and his staff. Of that reporting, 88 percent of it was negative.

Last year during the presidential campaign, the Media Research Center found that 91 percent of the reporting on Trump was negative during the three major national news broadcasts.

The largest controversy, at least in the eyes of the nightly news, was Trump's temporary ban on immigration from seven nations with a terror presence. Trump signed the directive Jan. 27, although it has since been placed on hold as the court system looks at it.

Trump is expected to unveil an updated order soon.

The national news broadcasts dedicated 188 minutes to the immigration story, while reporters and anchors sometimes made political statements against it either with their words or actions. For example, NBC's Lester Holt anchored the Jan. 30 news in front of the Statue of Liberty.

Trump and the members of his administration have repeatedly bashed the news media for what they feel is an unfair bias against him.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Nightly-News-Coverage-Trump-Negative/2017/03/02/id/776553/

what if he does negative stuff 88% of the time

should they just lie about it?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #381 on: March 02, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
what if he does negative stuff 88% of the time

should they just lie about it?
Negative to who? There are a lot of people who agree with his actions.

Their views shouldn't be represented in the media?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #382 on: March 02, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »
Negative to who? There are a lot of people who agree with his actions.

Their views shouldn't be represented in the media?

Lots of people agree with racism, bigotry, etc..

Should the media report that with a positive spin just because other people also share those opinions?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #383 on: March 02, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
Lots of people agree with racism, bigotry, etc..

Should the media report that with a positive spin just because other people also share those opinions?

Ideally they wouldn't present it with any spin, you know as its the "news"...

LMFAO if you think that the news isn't being spun to suit your worldview. How fucking naive and arrogant are you to think that only you and your ilk know what's right and wrong.

simply bc you don't agree with it doesn't mean it should be denegraded, mocked or not covered at all.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #384 on: March 02, 2017, 05:04:54 PM »

LMFAO if you think that the news isn't being spun to suit your worldview. How fucking naive and arrogant are you to think that only you and your ilk know what's right and wrong.

simply bc you don't agree with it doesn't mean it should be denegraded, mocked or not covered at all.

Fucking goddamn amen
a

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #385 on: March 02, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »

what you might think is spin others will see as objective reporting

Is there any news organization that you believe just reports the facts and doesn't interject their own bias (as you see it)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #386 on: March 02, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »
what you might think is spin others will see as objective reporting
Lol I'm going to ask that you just read this and view it as if I had posted it....

This is true from both sides straw, what you might think is spin others will see as objective reporting as well. Why should their views be under reported, mocked or denegraded as they are now?

No not really, CNN is the channel that i normally watch but ever since trump won the primary they have been in 100% bash mode. I know they generally lean left but they have taken it to a new level these days.

Are there any news organizations you feel don't interject their bias?

Top Poodle

• Getbig IV
  • No trannies allowed.
« Reply #387 on: March 03, 2017, 06:44:54 PM »
The Economist, which I considered respectable before, is now showing it's true colors and is absolutely hideous

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #388 on: March 04, 2017, 12:45:35 AM »
The Economist, which I considered respectable before, is now showing it's true colors and is absolutely hideous

They're all fucking hideous guys. don't you get it? They are all owned by the same special interest group. Trump isn't america's saviour guys, he supports israel which is a big tell as to his loyalties. Sure he's a lot better than Hillary and is treating us nice for a bit and he may continue for his whole presidency, but a TRUE American President who is for the American people would begin their presidency by telling israel to fuck off and die, and then tell the Fed to fuck off and die. Then they would find a way to destroy the liberal msm and then we would have a chance!!!!! Only after israel, the fed and the msm is weakened and destroyed can America be reclaimed by us. These are the 3 major forces holding america hostage.

Top Poodle

• Getbig IV
  • No trannies allowed.
« Reply #389 on: March 04, 2017, 01:10:31 AM »
They're all fucking hideous guys. don't you get it? They are all owned by the same special interest group. Trump isn't america's saviour guys, he supports israel which is a big tell as to his loyalties. Sure he's a lot better than Hillary and is treating us nice for a bit and he may continue for his whole presidency, but a TRUE American President who is for the American people would begin their presidency by telling israel to fuck off and die, and then tell the Fed to fuck off and die. Then they would find a way to destroy the liberal msm and then we would have a chance!!!!! Only after israel, the fed and the msm is weakened and destroyed can America be reclaimed by us. These are the 3 major forces holding america hostage.

Are you for or against palestine

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #390 on: March 04, 2017, 02:56:34 AM »

A tough question. I care not for those who were removed; my concern lies with the removers and their meddlesome antics in the USA and the rest of the world.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #391 on: March 06, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »
a

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #392 on: March 07, 2017, 04:41:45 AM »
No One Mentions That The Russian Trail Leads To Democratic Lobbyists

In pushing its Manchurian-candidate-Trump narrative, the media fail to mention the much deeper ties of Democratic lobbyists to Russia. Don’t worry, the media seems to say: Even though they are representing Russia, the lobbyists are good upstanding citizens, not like the Trump people. They can be trusted with such delicate matters.

The media targeted former Trump campaign manager, Paul Manafort, for consulting for deposed Ukrainian president’s (Yanukovich’s) Party of the Regions. He also worked for billionaire oligarch, Firtash, who stands accused of skimming billions in the Ukraine gas trade in league with Russian oligarchs. The media also singled out Trump’s former national security advisor, General Michael Flynn, for attending a dinner with Putin and appearing on Russia’s foreign propaganda network RT. Trump’s own Russian ties were the subject of intense media coverage of an unverified opposition-research report purportedly prepared by an ex-British spy, who remains in hiding. It seems no enterprising reporter has tried to find him.

The media’s focus on Trump’s Russian connections ignores the much more extensive and lucrative business relationships of top Democrats with Kremlin-associated oligarchs and companies. Thanks to the Panama Papers, we know that the Podesta Group (founded by John Podesta’s brother, Tony) lobbied for Russia’s largest bank, Sberbank. “Sberbank is the Kremlin, they don’t do anything major without Putin’s go-ahead, and they don’t tell him ‘no’ either,” explained a retired senior U.S. intelligence official. According to a Reuters report, Tony Podesta was “among the high-profile lobbyists registered to represent organizations backing Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich.” Among these was the European Center, which paid Podesta $900,000 for his lobbying.

That’s not all: The busy Podesta Group also represented Uranium One, a uranium company acquired by the Russian government which received approval from Hillary Clinton’s State Department to mine for uranium in the U.S. and gave Russia twenty percent control of US uranium. The New York Times reported Uranium One’s chairman, Frank Guistra, made significant donations to the Clinton Foundation, and Bill Clinton was paid $500,000 for one speech from a Russian investment bank that has “links to the Kremlin that was promoting Uranium One stock.”  Notably, Frank Giustra, the Clinton Foundation’s largest and most controversial donor, does not appear anywhere in Clinton’s “non-private” emails. It is possible that the emails of such key donors were automatically scrubbed to protect the Clinton Foundation.

Let’s not leave out fugitive Ukrainian oligarch, Dymtro Firtash. He is represented by Democratic heavyweight lawyer, Lanny Davis, who accused Trump of “inviting Putin to commit espionage” (Trump’s quip: If Putin has Hillary’s emails, release them) but denies all wrongdoing by Hillary.

That’s still not all: Rep. John Conyers (D., Mich.) read Kremlin propaganda into the Congressional Record, referring to Ukrainian militia as “repulsive Neo Nazis” in denying Ukrainian forces ManPad weapons. Conyers floor speech was surely a notable success of some Kremlin lobbyist.

Lobbying for Russia is a bi-partisan activity. Gazprombank GPB, a subsidiary of Russia’s third largest bank, Gazprombank, is represented by former Sen. John Breaux, (D., La.), and former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R., Miss.), as main lobbyists on “banking laws and regulations, including applicable sanctions.” The Breaux-Lott client is currently in the Treasury Department list of Russian firms prohibited from debt financing with U.S. banks.

In his February 16 press conference, President Trump declared in response to the intensifying media drumbeat on his Russian connections: “I haven’t done anything for Russia.” K-Street lobbyists, on the other hand, have done a lot to help Russia. They greased the skids for a strategic deal (that required the Secretary of State’s approval) that multiplied the Kremlin’s command of world uranium supplies. They likely prevented the shipment of strategic weapons needed by Ukraine to repulse well-armed pro-Russian forces. A fugitive billionaire who robbed the Ukrainian people of billions is represented by one of the establishment’s most connected lawyers.

Gazprombank GPB hired Breux and Lott to gain repeal of sanctions. That’s perfectly fine in Washington; they are playing according established “swamp rules” in their tailored suits and fine D.C. restaurants. General Flynn lost his job when the subject of sanctions was mentioned by the Russian ambassador in their telephone conversation, but that’s the way the media and Washington play.

No wonder that Trump’s’ “drain the swamp” and anti-media messages resonate so well with mainstream America.
a

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #393 on: April 07, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
Gallup Poll: 62 Percent Say American News Media Favors One Party
By Tim Graham | April 7, 2017

The pollsters at Gallup are reporting something that should be obvious. More Americans realize the media favors one party over the other. “Sixty-two percent of U.S. adults say the media has a favorite, up from about 50% in past years. Just 27% now say the media favors neither major party.”

Just how many reporters were sampled in this survey? They (and the rest of the 27 percent) are in denial. Most people know the media look like Trump's opposition party.

Almost two-thirds (64 percent) of those who believe the media tilts toward a political party say they favor the Democrats. Only 22 percent believe the media show a preference for Republicans:

When Gallup last asked this question in February 2003, Americans were about evenly divided on the issue. Republicans are mostly responsible for the increase in perceptions of partisan media bias since 2003. Currently, 77% of Republicans say the media favors one party over the other; in 2003, 59% of Republicans said the same. By comparison, 44% of Democrats now say the media plays favorites, unchanged from the 44% who said so in 2003...

Perhaps not surprisingly, Republicans are fueling the belief that the news media favors Democrats: 88% of Republicans who believe the media is biased say this. Democrats are split in their views, with 43% naming Democrats as the recipients of that bias and 40% saying the bias is toward Republicans.

There's even worse news at a time when the media elites claim to rise above "fake news" emanating from Trump fans. Gallup also found in their March survey that a majority of Americans believe news organizations are often wrong in their reporting: 55 percent said that news organizations' stories and reports are "often inaccurate." Only 36 percent agreed that news organizations generally get the facts straight.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tim-graham/2017/04/07/gallup-poll-62-percent-say-american-news-media-favors-one-party

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #394 on: April 13, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »
Former Clinton Spokeswoman: The Press Leans Left, But That Makes Them Tougher on Democrats
free beacon ^ | April 12, 2017 | David Rutz
Posted on 04/13/2017 11:25:22 AM PDT by digger48

Former Hillary Clinton spokeswoman Jennifer Palmeri acknowledged Wednesday that the press has a liberal bias, but she claimed that actually makes journalists harder on Democrats in their coverage.

Palmieri spoke alongside former Bush administration spokesman Ari Fleischer at the Newseum in Washington, D.C., as part of a series of panels on "First Amendment challenges in the early days of the Trump administration."

"I think most journalists are probably leaning more to the left than the right," she said. "Think about the kind of person that's drawn to do this as a career. They believe in government, they think politics matters, they like it, they find it interesting, they don't make a lot of money … But what I've found is it means they come after us harder on what I describe as the crap. They come after us harder on the palace intrigue, on the process, on things that really shouldn't matter."

In addition to her communications role for Clinton's presidential campaign against Donald Trump, Palmieri served as communications director during the Obama administration and also worked for Bill Clinton.

Moderator Mike Allen, the founder of Axios, relayed that she said backstage that the press was more likely to be tougher on Democrats in general.

"I think in general they are," she said, telling a story near the end of Bill Clinton's administration where the press was on the White House's case about rising gas prices.

"I said if President Bush were president, you guys wouldn't be coming after him on gas prices, and they were like, ‘Well, no, because he's a Republican, he doesn't think that he should weigh in and fix gas prices, but you're Democrats, you're supposed to solve problems!'" she said.

She went on to say there was a "different metric" applied to Democrats by the press.

"I think they come after us harder on both being able to solve a problem, and then also on process and intrigue," she said.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #395 on: May 19, 2017, 01:03:14 PM »
Harvard Study Agrees With MRC: Media Biased Against Trump
By Jackson Richman | May 19, 2017

One of America’s top colleges agrees with the Media Research Center’s numerous conclusions (gasp!): The media is biased against President Donald Trump. Though slightly different methodologically than the MRC’s study in April, a new study from Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government concurs: the negative coverage during Trump’s first 100 days was unprecedented.

According to the Harvard study, Trump consisted of 41 percent of national television content, which included of Trump, his administration, and Republicans outside the White House received the overwhelming majoirty of that coverage. Allocated in the coverage alone, Trump soundbites constituted 65 percent, while remarks from the GOP inside and outside the White House combined for 15 percent. Meanwhile, Democrats consisted of only six percent of soundbites.

Moreover, the tone behind the coverage of the Trump agenda was negative. For instance, immigration coverage received 96 percent of negative coverage. The closest to balanced coverage on an issue was the economy with 54 percent of the media's tone as negative with 46 percent of it as positive.

The research was conducted by analyzing the news coverage based on analysis of news coverage in the print editions of the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post in addition to the newscasts on CBS, NBC, CNN, and Fox News. Analysis from three European news outlets, including the BBC, were also considered.

"Trump has received unsparing coverage for most weeks of his presidency, without a single major topic where Trump’s coverage, on balance, was more positive than negative, setting a new standard for unfavorable press coverage of a president," professor Thomas Patterson said.

Patterson, who published the study, added: "Donald Trump’s ongoing feud with the media is not the first time a president has felt wronged by the press."

What makes media coverage of Trump unique, Patterson noted, was that though "virutally every president since Nixon has obsessed over what they’ve seen as unfair treatment by the press," Trump has "taken the fight to the press, openly and with relish."

Nonetheless, Patterson warned the media to watch itself more responsibly:

If a mud fight with Trump will not serve the media’s interests, neither will a soft peddling of his coverage. Never in the nation’s history has the country had a president with so little fidelity to the facts, so little appreciation for the dignity of the presidential office, and so little understanding of the underpinnings of democracy. The media’s credibility today is at low ebb, but the Trump presidency is not the time for the press to pull back. The news media gave Trump a boost when he entered presidential politics. But a head-on collision at some point was inevitable. It’s happened, it isn’t pretty, and it isn’t over.

At the same time, the news media need to give Trump credit when his actions warrant it. The public’s low level of confidence in the press is the result of several factors, one of which is a belief that journalists are biased. That perception weakens the press’s watchdog role. One of the more remarkable features of news coverage of Trump’s first 100 days is that it has changed few minds about the president, for better or worse.

Patterson added that the majority of press coverage needs to dedicated toward policy ramifications as oppsoed to power politics. "Journalists’ focus on the Washington power game—who’s up and who’s down, who’s getting the better of whom—can be a fascinating story but at the end of the day, it’s food for political junkies," he said. "It’s remote enough from the lives of most Americans to convince them that the political system doesn’t speak for them, or to them."

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/jackson-richman/2017/05/19/harvard-study-agrees-mrc-media-biased-against-trump

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #396 on: May 25, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »
FAKE NEWS: DOJ Responds to CNN’s Sessions Accusations
by IAN MASON
24 May 2017
Washington, DC

The Department of Justice issued a prompt response to CNN’s Wednesday accusation of impropriety against Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
CNN used the two already reported meetings between Sessions and Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyac as the basis for a news story on the Attorney General.

Sessions did not mention the meetings, which took place as part of Sessions’ official duties as a United States Senator, on his SF-86, the disclosure form for those applying for “top secret” clearance. This fact was, by CNN’s own account, freely volunteered by the Justice Department.

DOJ spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores told CNN that Sessions did not list any of the dozens of ambassadors he met over years of being a senator.

Shortly after CNN ran their story, which quoted a Washington attorney who claimed that he would advise a client to disclose all official meetings, the Justice Department issued a press release firing back at the implication of wrongdoing.

Attributed to DOJ Deputy Director of Public Affairs Ian Prior, the response read:

As a United States Senator, the Attorney General met hundreds—if not thousands—of foreign dignitaries and their staff. In filling out the SF-86 form, the Attorney General’s staff consulted with those familiar with the process, as well as the FBI investigator handling the background check, and was instructed not to list meetings with foreign dignitaries and their staff connected with his Senate activities.

CNN concluded its piece with a quote by Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) calling for Sessions to resign.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/24/fake-news-doj-responds-to-cnns-sessions-accusations/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #397 on: May 25, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »
poor little Donny

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #398 on: May 25, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »

Viva Palestine!  Not sure if I'm more anti-Israel or pro-Palestine.  Israel isn't just bad for the Palestinians.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #399 on: June 04, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
Viva Palestine!  Not sure if I'm more anti-Israel or pro-Palestine.  Israel isn't just bad for the Palestinians.

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/cnn-host-calls-trump-piece-sht-renewed-call-travel-ban

classy