Author Topic: Liberal Media Bias  (Read 166877 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Liberal Media Bias
« Reply #425 on: September 05, 2017, 10:00:19 PM »
Did nothing, toward what?  Help me understand this one, because (honestly) maybe I don't know.

help me understand what you're referring to?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #426 on: September 06, 2017, 10:40:57 AM »
help me understand what you're referring to?

You said Obama decided to do something because Congress did not.

What sort of thing should we/he have expected Congress to do when it comes to the issue?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #427 on: September 06, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
No, I do believe a very strong anti-American agenda exists in the little pinkie culture-club known as MSM.  And they wield power almost beyond full comprehension.

For instance, they get to invent a single word to blanket an issue (think "Dreamers" for example in these current events) and from that moment forward it shall be referred to by that description.  Everything becomes filtered through a word of their carefully-determined choice.  And then the weakest among us link their logic to it, and it spreads like cancer.

Very nasty, very deceptive, very manipulative little bastards, they are in MSM, playing with our society while joyfully doing the same thing with their dicks, no doubt.

Not cool, man.  Not acceptable.  We can't have this.

Absolute truth.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #428 on: September 06, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »
You said Obama decided to do something because Congress did not.

What sort of thing should we/he have expected Congress to do when it comes to the issue?

DACA was a direct result of Congress failing to do something about this group of undocumented immigrants

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #429 on: September 06, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »
Reminder: The press really wanted Hillary Clinton to be president
by Becket Adams | Sep 5, 2017

Hillary Clinton's supporters love to complain that the press torpedoed her White House ambitions 2016.

What utter nonsense.

First, as noted by my colleague Eddie Scarry, if Clinton lost the 2016 election because of negative press coverage, then how did Donald Trump win? He had 15 solid months of bad press. No one – left, center or right – can argue the press went easy on the Queens businessman. If elections were determined by which candidate had the rosier press coverage, then we'd be saying "Madam President" today.

Secondly, when it came to which candidate the press obviously preferred in 2016, Clinton was the hands-down winner. This isn't opinion or conjecture. This is a matter of record!

By Nov. 6, 2016, just two days before Election Day, an astonishing 57 newspapers had already endorsed Clinton for president. Trump, on the other hand, had exactly two (t-w-o) endorsements.

As if that weren't impressive enough, Clinton also overshadowed Trump when it came to political donations from the media. The margin wasn't even close.

Through August of last year, members of all classes of media, including journalists, editors, news anchors, etc., had donated roughly $382,000 to Clinton's election efforts, according to a Center for Public Integrity analysis released in October 2016.

In contrast, Trump had netted only about $14,000 in donations from members of the press.

Putting things more simply, a whopping 96 percent of all journalism-related donations went to Clinton, according to the report. Trump got the scraps.

We don't bring any of this up to twist the knife or pour salt in not-yet-healed wounds. Rather, this is a direct response to Clinton superfan Peter Daou, who launched a supposed fact-checking website this weekend.

The site itself, Verrit, is ... whatever. Clinton fans need something to do.

The thing that begs for a response here is when he tweeted this weekend, "I founded [Verrit] because Hillary Clinton's voters – an inspiringly diverse coalition – are unrepresented in the media."

Unrepresented? There are certainly specific demographic issues that newsrooms are struggling to address, but the idea that the Clinton coalition didn't get a fair shake last year is preposterous. The industry almost entirely comprises people who saw her as the much better option for president.

Clinton got their endorsements, their money and (likely) their votes. What more does Daou want?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/reminder-the-press-really-wanted-hillary-clinton-to-be-president/article/2633494

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #430 on: September 06, 2017, 08:44:37 PM »
DACA was a direct result of Congress failing to do something about this group of undocumented immigrants

Do you know if it's that they wouldn't have citizenship anywhere else, if not for DACA?  Or how that works? (Anyone?)

I suppose not, though, or we'd have heard about it with this story (endlessly, I'm sure).

I'm trying to figure out how a person in that situation is being deprived without something like DACA.  Absolutely NO offense to anyone, I do have a heart, and I understand this is about individuals who were brought here as minors.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #431 on: September 13, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
Study: 91 Percent of Trump News Coverage Over Summer Was Negative
Sep 12, 2017 // 9:21pm
As seen on The Five

Over the past three months, evening news coverage of President Donald Trump on the main broadcast stations was 91 percent negative, according to a new Media Research Center study.

By the end of August, the MRC said, nearly 40 percent of coverage during the nightly news on ABC, NBC and CBS was about the Trump White House or the administration.

Comparatively, President Barack Obama received about ten percent of broadcast news coverage.

The top four Trump related topics discussed over the past three months were the Russia investigation 27 percent of the time, the failure to repeal ObamaCare, the handling of the North Korea situation and Trump's controversial response to Charlottesville.

Greg Gutfeld reacted to the study, agreeing that there has been "more favorable [press] coverage of scurvy."

"Trump is a one-man-band generating money and outrage - rather, money for the outrage."

Watch more above.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/09/12/donald-trump-news-coverage-mostly-negative-new-study-shows

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #432 on: October 05, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »
September News Coverage of Trump Administration 92 Percent Negative
By Jason Devaney   |   Thursday, 05 Oct 2017

The negative coverage of President Donald Trump and his administration continued in September, with a new report showing just 8 percent of the coverage was positive.

The Media Research Center (MRC) study found that 92 percent of the coverage on the three major networks' nightly newscasts was negative. That was slightly higher than the 90 percent negative coverage the MRC claims the administration has received since Inauguration Day in January.

Other findings from the MRC's September report:

The six topics most discussed on the news were North Korea, immigration, Trump's response to the three hurricanes that hit the U.S. and its territories, Trump's comments regarding the NFL's national anthem controversy, the GOP's Obamacare repeal efforts, and the controversy regarding several members of the cabinet using private and/or military jets.

News stories about repealing and replacing Obamacare and the aforementioned private jets saga were 100 percent negative.

Stories about immigration, which included talk about the planned end of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, were 96 percent negative.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/september-news-coverage-negative-donald-trump/2017/10/05/id/817957/

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #433 on: October 13, 2017, 04:32:31 AM »

Late-night comedian Seth Meyers has had enough of Donald Trump supporters, asking his viewers to “choose” between the President and his show; ultimately telling GOP voters to “go away” before throwing up a middle-finger towards the camera.

Meyers began his rant by praising rapper Eminem’s four-minute long anti-Trump tirade at the BET Hip Hop Music Awards earlier this week, saying he was “inspired” by the musician’s vicious attacks on the Commander-in-Chief.

“[Eminem] ended the video by calling on any of his fans who still support Donald Trump to decide between Trump and himself,” said Meyers.

“I was inspired by that,” he added. “So, tonight I would say to any fans of this show who are also big fans of Donald Trump: It’s time to make a decision guys. Get off the fence. Do you support him or do you support this show that constantly mocks and denigrates everything about him?”

“I know it’s a tough call, but it’s time to make a decision. Now, I’m not much of a rapper but here it goes,” said the late-night comedian.

“My name is Seth and I’m here to say, that if you like Trump then go away,” he rapped, before flipping off Trump voters who hadn’t already changed the channel.
a

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #434 on: October 16, 2017, 04:14:30 PM »
Protecting one of their own.  Shameful.

Tucker: NBC News President Should Be Fired For Refusing to Run Weinstein Story
Oct 12, 2017 // 8:38pm
As seen on Tucker Carlson Tonight

Tucker Carlson said NBC News president Noah Oppenheim should resign or be fired immediately for punting on reporting Ronan Farrow's explosive story on Harvey Weinstein.

Oppenheim said there was good reason to kill the story, and instead added that he provided resources to Farrow who then shopped the story to the New Yorker, according to Carlson.

"Let's be clear," Carlson said. "NBC is lying."

He listed several claims by Oppenheim he said were untrue.

Oppenheim said Farrow was given resources, but it turned out he wasn't given even a camera crew.

Despite claims Farrow hadn't completed the bulk of his story when he brought it to NBC executives, Carlson said the story was all but complete when he went to the New Yorker.

Carlson credited MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow with going ahead and interviewing Farrow despite reported warnings against the segment.

"This is a scandal and the truth has a way of emerging," he said.

He said Oppenheim is also a Hollywood screenwriter with deep ties to the Democratic Party and Hollywood establishments.

Carlson said Oppenheim should disclose any ties to The Weinstein Company or Harvey Weinstein.

Follow
Tucker Carlson ✔ @TuckerCarlson
Powerful ppl knew what Weinstein was doing & not only ignored it but actively took his side against his many victims #Tucker @FoxNews
2:10 PM - Oct 12, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy
Carlson said that if he doesn't clear up all questions he should resign or be fired by NBC's parent company, Comcast.

"News executives are not allowed to tell lies," he said.

Watch more above.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/10/12/tucker-carlson-nbc-news-president-noah-oppenheim-should-be-fired-over-harvey-weinstein

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #435 on: October 25, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »
Bias: 1,000 Minutes for Trump/Russia 'Collusion' vs. 20 Seconds for Hillary/Russia Scandal
By Rich Noyes | October 25, 2017

Here’s one top takeaway from network news coverage in 2017: Sneaky Russian influence in American politics is a huge story if it involves Republicans/Donald Trump, but a non-story if it involves Democrats/Hillary Clinton.

MRC analysts have been tracking all evening news coverage of the Trump administration since Inauguration Day. From Inauguration Day, January 20, through last Friday, October 20, these broadcasts have aired an astonishing 1,000 minutes of coverage discussing Russia’s attempt to boost Trump in 2016, and speculation that Trump’s campaign may have colluded with the Russians in this project.

Last week, The Hill published new information about Russian efforts to infiltrate the American uranium industry, including $31.3 million in payments to the Clinton Foundation, as well as a huge speaking fee delivered to Bill Clinton personally, while Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State. In eight days, the network evening news coverage of this story amount to a mere 20 seconds on ABC’s World News Tonight.

According to an October 22 story by The Hill’s John Solomon and Alison Spann, FBI agents “were surprised by the timing and size of a $500,000 check that a Kremlin-linked bank provided Bill Clinton with for a single speech in the summer of 2010. The payday came just weeks after Hillary Clinton helped arrange for American executives to travel to Moscow to support Putin’s efforts to build his own country’s version of Silicon Valley, agents said.”

According to the same article: “‘There is not one shred of doubt from the evidence that we had that the Russians had set their sights on Hillary Clinton’s circle, because she was the quarterback of the Obama-Russian reset strategy and the assumed successor to Obama as president,’ said a source familiar with the FBI’s evidence at the time, speaking only on condition of anonymity, because he was not authorized to speak to the news media.”

Imagine $500,000 in Russian money being paid for a speech delivered by Donald Trump or a member of his family. But Bill Clinton’s big payday has generated ZERO network news coverage this week, and only a single reference on ABC’s This Week back in 2015, when the book Clinton Cash first disclosed the potential scandal.

In fact, from April 2015 through last night, the Clinton/Uranium/Russia story has been granted only 3 minutes, 21 seconds of evening news coverage — less than one-half of one percent of the coverage doled out just this year to the conspiracy theories surrounding Trump and Russia.

ABC’s World News Tonight and the CBS Evening News have been the most intensive, churning out 350 minutes and 381 minutes of evening news coverage of the Trump/Russia story, respectively, while the NBC Nightly News aired a relatively restrained 269 minutes of coverage since January 20. (Note: These statistics include weekend broadcasts, when aired in the Washington D.C. area.)

Combined, the three evening newscasts have aired a total of 5,015 minutes of coverage of the Trump administration since Inauguration Day, which means the Russia story alone has comprised almost exactly one-fifth of all Trump news this year.

There’s no conclusive proof that the Clintons traded favors in exchange for all of the cash going their way, but there’s no proof that Trump and his campaign team did anything wrong vis a vis Russia, either — yet the media have made it their business to keep the cloud of suspicion over Trump and his presidency.

Now that they have a chance to be equally zealous in applying the same standard to a Democrat, it’s obvious that much of the media’s interest in the Trump/Russia story has less to do with Russia’s attempts to infiltrate our government and politics, and more to with a partisan news agenda.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/rich-noyes/2017/10/25/bias-1000-minutes-trumprussia-collusion-vs-20-seconds-hillaryrussia

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #436 on: December 05, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »
ABC reporter who had major error in Trump report will no longer cover stories on president: Report
washingtonexaminer.com ^ | 12/5/17 | Caitlin Yilek
Posted on 12/5/2017, 2:26:28 PM by ColdOne

CNN reported Monday that Ross, who has been suspended without pay for four weeks, will no longer be allowed to cover stories related to the president.

ABC News president James Goldston told staffers, in audio of a call obtained by CNN, that the network’s and Ross’ credibility have been damaged over the mistake.

"I don't think ever in my career have I felt more rage and disappointment and frustration that I felt through this weekend and through the last half of Friday," Goldston said.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonexaminer.com ...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #437 on: December 07, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »
lol @ CNN's headline about Krusty the Clown retiring: 

"Sen. Franken calls out Trump during his resignation speech"
'I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office,' he says

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #439 on: December 08, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #440 on: December 08, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »
Rush had a pretty good segment on it today.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #441 on: December 08, 2017, 02:16:49 PM »
Rush had a pretty good segment on it today.

Bunch of dishonest turds. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #442 on: December 13, 2017, 11:05:50 AM »
Media bias continues: 90% of Trump coverage in last three months has been negative, study says
Major broadcast news reports in September, October and November were hostile
By Jennifer Harper - The Washington Times - Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The working relationship between President Trump and the news media shows no signs of improving. Journalists continue to appear aggressively hostile toward the president, according to research released Tuesday by the Media Research Center, a conservative press watchdog.

The new study of major broadcast coverage reveals that 90 percent of statements made by reporters and nonpartisan sources the last three months on ABC, NBC and CBS evening newscasts about Mr. Trump and his administration were negative.

It’s all in the numbers. The analysts found 1,123 out of 1,228 statements made about the president on the “Big Three” news networks during September, October and November were critical of Mr. Trump. Only 105 of the statements were considered positive in tone or content.

“As the Media Research Center has been documenting all year, the media have approached the Trump presidency with unrelenting hostility,” wrote Rich Noyes, director of research for the organization, which has found evidence of liberal bias against the White House in previous research this year.

“Even as the media whine about about Trump, their hostile coverage shows no let up. Our study of news in June, July and August found an identical rate of 91 percent negative coverage — which means TV news is unchanged in its hostility toward the president,” Mr. Noyes said.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/12/media-bias-continues-90-of-trump-coverage-in-last-/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #443 on: December 15, 2017, 09:49:14 AM »
Nets Blackout Damning Text Messages from Pro-Hillary FBI Agents   
By Nicholas Fondacaro | December 13, 2017
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/nicholas-fondacaro/2017/12/13/nets-blackout-damning-text-messages-pro-hillary-fbi-agents

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #444 on: December 28, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »
Pew: Trump media three times more negative than for Obama, just 5 percent positive
by Paul Bedard | Dec 27, 2017

The media story reviewed the tone of coverage of Trump's first 60 days in office and found that just 5 percent was "positive." (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

The media’s coverage of President Trump has been overwhelmingly negative, more than three times more critical than the initial coverage of former President Barack Obama and twice that of former Presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton.

The Pew Research Center said that the early coverage of Trump was 62 percent negative. By comparison, Obama’s coverage was just 20 percent negative.

“About six-in-ten stories on Trump’s early days in office had a negative assessment, about three times more than in early coverage for Obama and roughly twice that of Bush and Clinton. Coverage of Trump’s early time in office moved further away from a focus on the policy agenda and more toward character and leadership,” said Pew.

The report about the harsh media coverage was included in Pew’s year-ending report titled "17 Striking Findings From 2017."

The media story reviewed the tone of coverage of Trump’s first 60 days in office and found that just 5 percent was “positive.”

By comparison, Obama’s coverage was 42 percent positive.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/pew-trump-media-three-times-more-negative-than-for-obama-just-5-percent-positive/article/2644448

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #445 on: January 16, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »
The president did "exceedingly well" on cognitive screening.  AP drops the word "exceedingly" in its headline.  Subtle and not a big issue, but part of a pattern.  

Trump doctor says he did well on cognitive exam

Associated Press January 16, 2018

White House physician Dr. Ronny Jackson spoke to reporters during the daily press briefing, today, in the Brady press briefing room at the White House, in Washington.

WASHINGTON >> The Latest on President Donald Trump’s health (all times local):

4:20 p.m.

President Donald Trump asked that a cognitive test be included as part of his first physical exam.

ADVERTISING

Trump’s physician — Navy doctor Ronny Jackson — says the president achieved a perfect score on the test, which was included in last Friday’s medical checkup.

Jackson says Trump’s 30 out of 30 score means there’s no indication that Trump has any cognitive issues.

The doctor speculates that Trump requested the exam in an attempt to beat back the narrative of the past few weeks that he is mentally unfit for office.

Jackson describes Trump as “very sharp” and “very articulate when he speaks to me.”

The doctor says he’s found “no reason whatsoever” to think the president has any issues with his thought process.

4:15 p.m.

President Donald Trump performed “exceedingly well” on cognitive screening during his recent physical examination.

That’s according to his White House physician, navy doctor Ronny Jackson.

The doctor says he had “absolutely no concerns” about the 71-year-old president’s cognitive abilities, but performed the screening because Trump asked him to do it.

Jackson says Trump’s overall health “is excellent.” Jackson is providing a more detailed readout today following Trump’s first physical last Friday at the Walter Reed military hospital.

4:10 p.m.

President Donald Trump’s doctor says he’s confident that Trump has a “very strong and a very probable possibility” of completing his presidency “with no medical issues.”

Navy doctor Ronny Jackson says his assessment is based on Trump’s cardiac assessment.

Trump had his first physical last Friday. Jackson says Trump’s heart exam was normal, with regular rhythm and no abnormal sounds.

Trump also has no heart disease and no family history of it.

Jackson says that based on the clinical information he has on Trump and his year of observing the president, “I feel very confident that he has a very strong and a very probable possibility of making it completely through his presidency with no medical issues.”

Trump took office at age 70, making him the oldest incoming U.S. president.

4 p.m.

President Donald Trump’s overall health “is excellent” and he did “exceedingly well” on cognitive screening.

That’s according to his White House physician, Navy doctor Ronny Jackson.

Jackson is providing a more detailed readout today following Trump’s first physical last Friday at the Walter Reed military hospital.

Jackson reports that the 6-foot-3 president weighed in at 239 pounds — three pounds heavier than he was in September 2016.

Trump’s blood pressure was 122 over 74, and his total cholesterol was 223, which is higher than recommended.

Trump was 70 when he took office, making him the oldest person ever elected to the nation’s highest office.

Jackson says Trump is healthy and should remain so for the remainder of his presidency.

7:30 a.m.

A fuller readout of President Donald Trump’s health following his first medical check-up is expected later today.

Trump’s White House physician – Navy doctor Ronny Jackson – declared Trump to be in “excellent health” following last Friday’s exam at the Walter Reed military hospital in Maryland.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Jackson will attend her briefing today to provide a more complete readout on Trump’s physical health.

Not expected are any conclusions about Trump’s mental acuity. Questions about Trump’s mental fitness have been raised following comments attributed to some of his close advisers in a new book, and his recent slurring of words on national TV.

Presidents aren’t required to get a checkup, but modern presidents do so regularly and release a doctor’s report on the findings.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/01/16/breaking-news/trump-doctor-says-he-did-well-on-cognitive-exam/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #446 on: January 26, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »
Fox's Howie Kurtz in New Book: I'm 'Radicalized' by Media Dropping 'Any Semblance of Fairness'
By Tim Graham | January 24, 2018

Michael Calderone at Politico is reporting on the new book by Fox News Mediabuzz host Howard Kurtz titled Media Madness: Donald Trump, the Press, and the War Over the Truth.

"I have always believed in the mission of aggressive reporting and holding politicians accountable," he writes, "But the past two years have radicalized me. I am increasingly troubled by how many of my colleagues have decided to abandon any semblance of fairness out of a conviction that they must save the country from Trump."

Kurtz characterizes the news media as underestimating candidate Trump throughout the long campaign, and asserts several times that he recognized the insurgent Republican’s electoral potential when other pundits dismissed him. “The truth is that I wasn’t pro-Trump at all, I was pro-reality,” he writes. “It turns out they were the ones who failed to recognize what was unfolding before their eyes,” Kurtz writes of the Old Media. “It was the most catastrophic media failure in a generation.”

Donald Trump is staking his presidency, as he did his election, on nothing less than destroying the credibility of the news media; and the media are determined to do the same to him. This is not just a feud or a fight or a battle. It is scorched-earth warfare in which only one side can achieve victory. To a stunning degree, the press is falling into the president's trap. The country's top news organizations have targeted Trump with an unprecedented barrage of negative stories, with some no longer making much attempt to hide their contempt.

Some stories are legitimate, some are not, and others are generated by the president's own falsehoods and exaggerations. But the mainstream media, subconsciously at first, has lurched into the opposition camp and is appealing to an anti-Trump base of viewers and readers, failing to grasp how deeply it is distrusted by a wide swath of the country.

In the book, Kurtz writes that Trump complained to him that tweets from New York Times political reporter Jonathan Martin were “just horrible" and that Martin was viciously negative in interactions with Republicans: 

Kurtz writes that Martin had a dispute with a Republican National Committee staffer weeks before the party’s July 2016 convention. Martin, by Kurtz’s account, told the RNC staffer that Trump is “a racist and a fascist” and that anyone supporting his candidacy was “culpable.” After a second episode, Kurtz claims that then-RNC communications director Sean Spicer reported Martin’s behavior to a top Times editor, prompting the reporter to fire back at Spicer in a subsequent call.

Martin fired back when Politico called:

“Howie paraphrased a vague, preposterous-sounding quote to me that I told him sounded ridiculous and not the kind of thing I'd say,” Martin told POLITICO. “He couldn't tell me who I purportedly said it to, but said he'd see what more he could tell me and get back to me. I never heard another word from him after that. And I still have no idea what he or Sean Spicer are talking about.”

How many times have anonymous sources said ridiculous things that Trump thinks are "fake news"? But the New York Times and The Washington Post think their anonymous digs at the president are what keeps "democracy out of darkness." A spokesman for Regnery, which published the book, said the publisher and author “absolutely stand by everything reported in the book.”

The Hollywood Reporter has posted offered an excerpt from Kurtz.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tim-graham/2018/01/24/foxs-howie-kurtz-new-book-im-radicalized-media-dropping-any-semblance

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #447 on: February 04, 2018, 08:26:24 AM »
 :-\
a

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #448 on: February 04, 2018, 10:50:50 AM »
Fox's Howie Kurtz in New Book: I'm 'Radicalized' by Media Dropping 'Any Semblance of Fairness'
By Tim Graham | January 24, 2018

Michael Calderone at Politico is reporting on the new book by Fox News Mediabuzz host Howard Kurtz titled Media Madness: Donald Trump, the Press, and the War Over the Truth.

"I have always believed in the mission of aggressive reporting and holding politicians accountable," he writes, "But the past two years have radicalized me. I am increasingly troubled by how many of my colleagues have decided to abandon any semblance of fairness out of a conviction that they must save the country from Trump."

Kurtz characterizes the news media as underestimating candidate Trump throughout the long campaign, and asserts several times that he recognized the insurgent Republican’s electoral potential when other pundits dismissed him. “The truth is that I wasn’t pro-Trump at all, I was pro-reality,” he writes. “It turns out they were the ones who failed to recognize what was unfolding before their eyes,” Kurtz writes of the Old Media. “It was the most catastrophic media failure in a generation.”

Donald Trump is staking his presidency, as he did his election, on nothing less than destroying the credibility of the news media; and the media are determined to do the same to him. This is not just a feud or a fight or a battle. It is scorched-earth warfare in which only one side can achieve victory. To a stunning degree, the press is falling into the president's trap. The country's top news organizations have targeted Trump with an unprecedented barrage of negative stories, with some no longer making much attempt to hide their contempt.

Some stories are legitimate, some are not, and others are generated by the president's own falsehoods and exaggerations. But the mainstream media, subconsciously at first, has lurched into the opposition camp and is appealing to an anti-Trump base of viewers and readers, failing to grasp how deeply it is distrusted by a wide swath of the country.

In the book, Kurtz writes that Trump complained to him that tweets from New York Times political reporter Jonathan Martin were “just horrible" and that Martin was viciously negative in interactions with Republicans: 

Kurtz writes that Martin had a dispute with a Republican National Committee staffer weeks before the party’s July 2016 convention. Martin, by Kurtz’s account, told the RNC staffer that Trump is “a racist and a fascist” and that anyone supporting his candidacy was “culpable.” After a second episode, Kurtz claims that then-RNC communications director Sean Spicer reported Martin’s behavior to a top Times editor, prompting the reporter to fire back at Spicer in a subsequent call.

Martin fired back when Politico called:

“Howie paraphrased a vague, preposterous-sounding quote to me that I told him sounded ridiculous and not the kind of thing I'd say,” Martin told POLITICO. “He couldn't tell me who I purportedly said it to, but said he'd see what more he could tell me and get back to me. I never heard another word from him after that. And I still have no idea what he or Sean Spicer are talking about.”

How many times have anonymous sources said ridiculous things that Trump thinks are "fake news"? But the New York Times and The Washington Post think their anonymous digs at the president are what keeps "democracy out of darkness." A spokesman for Regnery, which published the book, said the publisher and author “absolutely stand by everything reported in the book.”

The Hollywood Reporter has posted offered an excerpt from Kurtz.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tim-graham/2018/01/24/foxs-howie-kurtz-new-book-im-radicalized-media-dropping-any-semblance

Good for Kurtz. I always considered him to be fairly reasonable in his analysis, especially given the massively biased landscape.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #449 on: February 04, 2018, 01:57:19 PM »
To think Noam Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent, a book solely conceived to expose the conservative elites' grip on all media, is slowly but surely being turned into bullshit. Wow.

It really is a sobering reminder to the likes of me... having spent so much time thinking that all that Noam said and wrote was The Truth, and it turns out real life is showing an entirely different reality.