Author Topic: Machida wants Henderson, considering drop to middleweight  (Read 3489 times)

A Professional

• Getbig IV
Machida wants Henderson, considering drop to middleweight
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:47:33 AM »
UFC light heavyweight, Lyoto Machida, is open to test himself against Dan Henderson as well as a possible drop to the 185lb division according to tatame.com.

Machida is currently recovering from elbow surgery that has restricted the use of his left arm in his training sessions but is scheduled to make a full recovering within the next 20 days. Upon his recovery he muses at a fight with Henderson if Henderson doesn't get his title shot against Jon Jones.

"I'm waiting UFC's suggestion. I guess in April or May, but in case it doesn't happen I'll suggest Dan Henderson, who's a good guy. I know he's on the line for the belt, but if this fight against Jon Jones doesn't happen, I'd like to fight him," Machida said.

Henderson's last bout was unanimous decision victory over Mauricio Rua at UFC 139, having returned from the UFC after spending four fights with Strikeforce. During that span Henderson became one of the few men to defeat Fedor Emelianenko, TKO-ing the Russian heavyweight in mid-2011.

"He's a legend in the sport, a champion in many events, like Rings, Pride, Strikeforce...I'd like to test my technique against his," Machida said.

Presently, Henderson's next bout will be determined by the outcome of the Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis bout at UFC on Fox 2 this Saturday. If Evans wins, he will likely become the next challenger to Jones' title barring an injury. Should this be the scenario, a matchup between Henderson and Machida is possible. Consequently if Davis is victorious, Henderson is believed to be Jones' next matchup.

Machida last fought at UFC 140, challenging Jones for his light heavyweight title. Despite a competitive first round, Jones gained the upper hand in the second stanza when he dropped Machida with a straight left eventually leading to a second round submission win for the young champ.

Due to Jones' success as light heavyweight champion, Anderson Silva recently said that no Brazilian can defeat Jones.

"I don't agree, but it's his personal opinion, we gotta respect. But I don't agree. I believe there are athletes who can defeat him. I guess being well trained is possible, I believe in my work and, within time, I guess I'll have another opportunity. My next step is now Jon Jones, I'm not thinking about it. I'm much more worried about my next fight," Machida said.

Looking ahead, Machida also sees a possible career in the middleweight division as well.

"Well, I have other goals in my division first. But, who knows, in the future, after I achieve all my goals, I can drop," Machida said.

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Lyoto-Machida-wants-to-fight-Dan-Henderson,-open-for-a-drop-to-middleweight.html

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Re: Machida wants Henderson, considering drop to middleweight
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
Machida/Anderson silva would be amazing.

A Professional

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
I really do hope he drops to middleweight. He's already won the title as a small lightheavy--there's nothing more for him in that division.
I think too, that this is an admittance that Jones is too much of a physical specimen to be defeated with skill alone.
Hendo could be a bad fight though. His 1 punch ko strategy might not work--Hendo has the best chin in the lightheavies.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »

seems to me I remember reading that they'd never fight because they trained together...

or maybe I'm thinkin of someone else

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
seems to me I remember reading that they'd never fight because they trained together...

or maybe I'm thinkin of someone else

no you are right
irongearco.com

suckmymuscle

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »

For once, I agree with you. These are the two most precise and technical strikers in all of MMA, and the most elusive. A fight between them would be a breath-taking display of foot work, head movement, bluffing and counter-striking. I can see them studying each other for the first round without engaging, but one strike and the fight is over. If there is one guy who can floor Anderson playing Anderson's game, it is Machida.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

OneManGang

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:12:42 AM »
Of course he wants to fight a 42 year old.

A Professional

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
Of course he wants to fight a 42 year old.

Yeah so what? Machida is no spring chicken (33). Despite being 'old' Henderson is probably number 2 right now in the world.
Jones is 24.

Machida is going to fight Ryan Bader next--in August.

Machida is a natural fighter, that has taken on steroid addled drug users with great success! I mean, the guy is not even a lightheavyweight--he's a doughy middleweight!
Imagine the aggressiveness and power of a Machida on the Chael Sonnen stack! He would be unstoppable.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:24:47 PM »

Worked beautifully with Jones and Evans

A Professional

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »
Worked beautifully with Jones and Evans

They are Brazilian though. It's different.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »
If you drop a weight class, then you are a pussy.  You are saying "hey, I can't beat the top guy here, so maybe I should drop down and try a lower weight".

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »
hendo only fights @ 205 unless they give him silva again

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »
dropping a weight class is a bitch move. no great fighter dropped a class they all moved up

machida should lose weight but not drop a class come in the range of 186 to 190.

he is making the weight class limit for no reason his body is not built like that

this would improve his overall fighting abilities

henderson vs machida isnt really an interesting fight because machida is going to run the whole fight
picking shot and low leg kicks. im a huge fan of dan but styles make fights