Author Topic: Felicia Romero - How do you know when enough is enough?  (Read 2716 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Felicia Romero - How do you know when enough is enough?
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
Gaspari Athlete Felicia Romero with a good article

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH?
11/10/2011 by Felicia Romero

As I come to the end of the year I have had a chance to relax and recharge my mind and body. I ended the year not at my personal best and the pressure of shows and dieting had got the best of me. I competed in the Olympia placing 15th, a very disappointing place from last year’s 5th place. Then going off to India to compete in the Sheru Classic the very next week knowing my body had just had enough. I still competed in the show and tried to present a happy go lucky Felicia, but inside I was dying.

I am the kind of athlete that will finish what I start so not competing in the show was never an option so I went out there and soaked up the experience with my mom because at that point it was all I had. After finals as we were all heading back to the hotel on the bus that’s when it all came out… tears were flooding from my face uncontrollably and I told my mom, “I am so glad it is done”.   I was feeling every sort of emotion… sadness, confusion, relief and the feeling like this huge weight has been lifting off my shoulders. At that point I felt like I was done, that it was time for my career to come to an end and I had nothing else to prove to myself or anyone else. I think we all go through those same feelings and contemplate if you still really want to compete. I think it is normal to have those thoughts post show especially when the body has given up. So how do you know when enough is enough and it is time to quit?

I think about this a lot and honestly you never really know. There are situations in where you are forced to quit whether it be health or family circumstance. Or in my case, you are tired and disappointed and feel like there is nothing else to prove. Now that I have had time to sit and reflect I ask myself, “Why do I compete?” For me, it’s not to prove anything to anyone or to always win because that is not possible at every show I compete in. I compete for myself, to inspire others and honestly I love setting goals for myself and competing allows me to do that. So yes, I am NOT done yet and know that with the next couple of months off I will come back next year healthy and hungry… NO PUN INTENDED.

I am planning on doing the Australian Pro Figure as my first show of the year, then hopefully reclaiming my title at the California Pro. I am hopeful to think that I will qualify for the Olympia again even though the requirements are much harder. I am looking forward to the next year and coming back to ME and having fun out there but for now I am going to enjoy the holidays with my friends and family and gear up for NEXT YEAR!!

Thanks for reading!

Felicia Romero
www.azprophysiques.com