Author Topic: Greg Salas  (Read 12862 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Greg Salas
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 03:05:51 PM »
You're comparing apples to oranges. The Miami Dolphins of 08 and 09 were much better team than the Cloe Lemon (and other scrub led) teams of 2005 - 2006.

Bess does have a fantastic team around him. The QB is good, brandon Marshall is a monster, the running game is very talented and now they have a legit tight end in Fasano and good offensive linemen.

Also, at the time I wrote that Bess was nothing special, he was nothing special. I recently stated that he was a good player, because now that he has a good QB, a fantastic running game and Brandon Marshall on the other side of him (drawing double teams), he has improved.

Not really.  At the time you called him nothing special, he had already had a stellar college career, was an All American, and had 54 catches as a rookie FA, which was second most in NFL history behind Chrebet.

Bess caught 54 and 76 passes off the bench with a pretty bad set of WRs and average QBs.  Pennington and Henne were pretty average in 08 and 09.  And Ted Ginn was the starting WR.  Welker had Chambers in 05 when Chambers had 82 for 1118 and 11 TDs.  So yes, their situations were pretty comparable.  

I do agree that the 2010 Miami offense is better than the 05, 06, 08, and 09 offenses.  

What's kind of ironic is two of his better games were against NE:  10 for 110, TD in 09 and 8 for 96, TD in 2010.

In any event, just thought it was interesting to compare their respective stats early in their careers.  I think there is no way Welker would have sniffed 100 catches if he was still in Miami.  Really interested to see what happens to his production with Moss gone.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »
Another great TD catch by Salas.  In the rain. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:51 PM »
I heard today that Salas has been invited to the Senior Bowl.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 04:40:53 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 05:13:32 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Salas voted to AP All-America football team
By Associated Press

POSTED: 11:01 a.m. HST, Dec 14, 2010

Hawaii wide receiver Greg Salas has been voted to The Associated Press All-America football team.

The senior from Chino, Calif. was named to the third team.

Salas is the Warriors' all-time leader in receiving yards, and he's approaching Hawaii single-season records for receptions and yards.

He ranks second nationally in receiving yards per game at 128.8 yards. He's also third in receptions per game.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/111874029.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 06:56:24 PM »
"Greg Salas, Alex Green and Kealoha Pilares will receive invitations to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, according to head coach Greg McMackin, who received a notification today.

The three former Warriors will receive their invitations via e-mail this coming week."

http://warriorbeat.honadvblogs.com/2010/12/31/happy-new-years-eve-pilares-gets-agent/

Great news for Salas. 

Green can play, but I doubt he'll be anything other than a FA. 

I'll be very surprised if Pilares gets drafted.  I don't think he can play in the NFL.

body88

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »
So when do you think this guy will go, beach?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 09:47:01 AM »
So when do you think this guy will go, beach?

Depends on his combine 40 time.  Unfortunately, players who don't play for "BCS" schools who play skill positions must nail the 40 to get drafted.  That's the reason Davone Bess didn't get drafted, despite having a second round draft grade.  He ran a 4.6 at the combine. 

If Salas runs a 4.6 or slower, he's a FA.  If he runs a low 4.5 or a 4.4, I think he goes somewhere between the 4th and 6th rounds. 

Regardless of his draft status, I think he will make someone's roster and have a good career. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 06:09:54 PM »
Good showing. 

Salas, Green excel
The UH receiver catches everything thrown to him, while the rusher breaks a 4.50-second 40-yard time
By Stephen Tsai
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Feb 28, 2011

In their most significant audition, former Hawaii football players Greg Salas and Alex Green gained notice yesterday at the National Football League Scouting Combine in Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium.

NFL teams credited Salas, a receiver, with 40-yard dashes between 4.49 and 4.54 seconds.

Green, a running back, was credited with 40-yard times between 4.46 and 4.48.

"I was pretty happy with my performance," Salas said in a phone interview.

There was some drama with the first of Salas' two 40-yard sprints. NFL.com initially reported that Salas ran the distance in 5.0 seconds. But after a review of the video, it was determined that Salas ran it in 4.50 seconds, and that a statistician mistakenly forgot to input the "4," according to a person familiar with the situation.

"We knew it wasn't a 5 flat," agent Kenny Zuckerman said. "We knew it was in the 4.5 range."

NFL.com reported that Salas completed his second 40 in 4.57 seconds.

Each NFL team records its own times for each player at the combine. For Salas' first run, the range was between 4.49 and 4.54.

Salas, who has been training at Athletes' Performance in Carson, Calif., used a unique technique in which he stretched his arms on the surface, then bear-crawled back to the starting line.

"It's a technique we've been working on," Salas said. "It's supposed to help you explode off the line."

Salas had a 37-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot broad jump. He bench-pressed 225 pounds 15 times. He was credited with running the three-cone drill in 6.65 seconds (seventh-fastest among running backs, receivers and quarterbacks yesterday) and the 60-yard shuttle in 11.21 seconds (ninth). He initially was credited with completing the 20-yard shuttle in 4.10 seconds, but that number was adjusted to an undisclosed slower time.

Salas was most impressive in the receiver drills. He caught all of the dozen passes thrown in his direction.

"All of those routes (at UH) had to help," Salas said. "I have confidence in my hands."

While a handful of players decided not to participate in drills, instead preferring to wait for their school-administered pro days, that was not a consideration for Salas.

"My mantra is to get the best bang for the buck," Zuckerman said. "The most (NFL) people are at the combine. Your value increases when more people watch you. It's supply and demand."

At the combine, there are scores of coaches, general managers, scouts and medical staff from the 32 NFL teams. UH's Pro Day, which will be held March 31 in Carson, attracts about two decision-makers from each team.

Zuckerman said it might be best for Salas to stand on his combine numbers and not participate in sprints or jumps at UH's pro day. But Salas said he might want to run the 40-yard dash again because the pro day will be held at the Home Depot Center, where he and Green train.

Green yesterday had a vertical jump of 36 inches, and a broad jump of 9 feet 6. He completed the three-cone drill in 6.91 seconds. Earlier, he bench-pressed 225 pounds 20 times.

"I wasn't nervous at all," Green said. "It was kind of cool."

Despite receiving praise from ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay. two weeks ago, Green arrived as a relative unknown. Agent Michael Hoffman said NFL scouts projected Green as a "4.6 guy," which would be a so-so time for an NFL tailback.

NFL.com reported that Green ran the 40 in unofficial times of 4.55 seconds and 4.52 seconds. NFL scouts credited Green with a more favorable range of between 4.46 and 4.48 for his second — and best — run.

"I figured that would help me," Green said of the goal to run in under 4.6 seconds. "It showed I'm faster than some people think. I have to keep working hard, but I'm happy with my time."

Hoffman said that at 6-foot, Green's weight of "225, it was one of the more impressive 40s. He answered one of the biggest question marks."

Hoffman said Green's combine performance will spur scouts to review more videos of UH games.

"He's put himself in the right direction," Hoffman said.

Former UH slotback Kealoha Pilares benched 225 pounds 19 times Saturday, but did not participate in any of the speed, jumping or position drills yesterday. Three weeks ago, he was cleared to run after suffering a partially torn posterior-cruciate ligament in the Dec. 24 Hawaii Bowl. Pilares said he will participate in all of the activities at UH's pro day.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/20110228_salas_green_excel.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 01:06:46 AM »
Thursday, March 31, 5:31 p.m.

The Hawaii pro day at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., is finished. The workout took almost six hours as NFL prospects from the University of Hawaii plus local Los Angeles players that attended schools around the nation took part in the event.

All three receivers from Hawaii looked terrific and each established themselves as legitimate picks during different points of the draft's seven rounds.

Greg Salas sat on his combine numbers and stood out in receiver drills. He showcased his outstanding route running and reliable hands. Salas is quickly moving up draft boards as a variety of teams feel he'll be a good fit for their offensive system. Relatively unknown for much of the year, Salas could slide into the late part of round two.

Kealoha Pilares showed he's lost nothing in his game after suffering a knee injury in the Hawaii Bowl last December. Pilares posted a vertical jump of 40.5 inches and broad jump which measured 10-feet, 5-inches. He then timed 4.45 in the 40 before showing reliable hands and solid route running throughout the workout. At the end of the day, scouts put Pilares through a battery of running back drills, the position he played his first two seasons at Hawaii. Pilares is now likely to be selected during the bottom third of the draft.

Rodney Bradley, not invited to the combine, proved he belongs at the next level. Bradley posted 4.50 in the 40 and looked just as good as his teammates catching the ball. Used as part of the starting receiver rotation for the Warriors, he'll get consideration in the draft's closing frames.

Finally, safety Mana Silva gave scouts something to think about. The Oregon State transfer, who totaled a nation-leading eight interceptions last season, was perceived as being too slow and unathletic for the NFL. His 40 time of 4.43 will make scouts rethink that opinion. Silva also looked effective in position drills. In a weak class of safeties in next month's draft, Silva is just the kind of player who could slide into the late rounds.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/nfl-draft-pro-days-2011/index.html#

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 02:45:46 PM »
I'm hearing Salas could go as high as the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Livin' the dream
Greg Salas and Alex Green appear to be shoo-ins to be taken in the NFL Draft

By Stephen Tsai   

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas for former Hawaii receiver Greg Salas.

"I'm excited and a little nervous," said Salas, who is expected to be selected in this week's three-day NFL Draft. "I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas."

Back then, Salas conceded, "I wanted X-Men action figures and, for a little while, I wanted Pokemon cards. If you got me X-Men action figures, you were doing a good job."

And now? "It's a big dream to play in the NFL," Salas said. "It looks like it might come true. It's crazy."

Salas and running back Alex Green are considered to be the former Warriors with the best chances of being drafted. Some analysts predict those two players' names could be announced as early as Friday, when the second and third rounds are conducted. The final four rounds are Saturday.

Almost every NFL team has expressed interest in Salas. Because of his clean abstract — no significant injuries, no character questions — and his participation in the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine, Salas was not brought in for any interviews with teams following UH's pro day March 31 in Carson, Calif.

"Nobody wants to tip their hand," agent Kenny Zuckerman said. "I've been told a lot of teams like him."

Green's schedule, meanwhile, has been busy since drawing praise at the combine. Green, who is 6 feet and about 225 pounds, is credited with running the 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds. That was the ninth-fastest time among 33 running backs who ran the 40 at the combine, and third best for a back weighing more than 215 pounds.

Because Green played in UH's one-back offense that does not feature a tight end, eight teams requested face-to-face meetings the past three weeks.

Green visited the Philadelphia Eagles, St. Louis Rams, Tennessee Titans, Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints. He had to turn down two other invitations because of scheduling conflicts. Teams had until this past Wednesday to conduct in-person interviews with prospects.

The Rams' interest is not surprising. Green has drawn comparisons to Steven Jackson, the Rams' 6-foot-2, 236-pound running back. A few NFL teams credited Green with running 40 yards in 4.45 seconds, matching Jackson's 40 time.

"Alex is a big back with speed," agent Michael Hoffman said. "Those types of backs you can't really find."

A third former Warrior — slotback Kealoha Pilares — also was invited to the combine. Because he was recovering from a partially torn PCL injured in the Dec. 24 Hawaii Bowl, Pilares went through interviews and bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times at the combine. He did not participate in the running or jumping events.

But at UH's pro day, Pilares was credited with a 40-yard time of 4.42 seconds and a vertical jump of 401/2 inches. Earlier this month, NFL doctors in Indianapolis declared him physically fit.

"They were surprised how much I progressed, how fast I came back," Pilares said.

Pilares said he received interest from 20 NFL teams. The Miami Dolphins are considering Pilares as a running back, a position he played during his freshman and sophomore years at UH.

The NFL has reached out to former UH safety Mana Silva, wideout Rodney Bradley, offensive lineman Laupepa Letuli and defensive end Kamalu Umu.

Silva had face-to-face meetings with the Oakland Raiders and Jacksonville Jaguars. Bradley worked out for the Dallas Cowboys, and has had telephone interviews with nine other teams. Letuli has drawn interest from the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Raiders and Titans have contacted Umu.

In past years, former Warriors have found their way onto NFL rosters through free agency. Two of Zuckerman's clients — receiver Davone Bess of the Dolphins and offensive lineman John Estes of the Jaguars — are former Warriors who signed as undrafted free agents.

Because of the NFL lockout, teams are not allowed to sign free agents until a collective-bargaining agreement is reached. In an optimistic scenario, a new CBA won't be in place until this summer, eliminating organized team activities and abbreviating training camp and the preseason. Many undrafted free agents are signed for OTAs. Without those workouts, there will be fewer opportunities for this year's class of undrafted free agents.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/20110424_livin_the_dream.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »
Alex Green in the 3rd to GB.
Salas in the 4th to the Rams.
Pilares in the 5th to Carolina.

Good day for the Warriors. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »
im thinking salas could see some significant snaps this year

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »
I think he's better than the Boise WR they took in the third.  Salas is going to have a good career.  Very happy he landed on a team with a good QB. 

Slots hit the jackpot
The Rams take Greg Salas in the fourth round of the NFL Draft and Kealoha Pilares goes to the Panthers in the fifth
By Stephen Tsai
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, May 01, 2011

Mom cried.

Dad yelled.

And during a family gathering in Ontario, Calif., former Hawaii receiver Greg Salas yelled even louder yesterday after he was announced as the St. Louis Rams' fourth-round selection in the NFL Draft.

"Awesome," Salas said. "I knew there would be some receivers going in the fourth round. I knew I would be one of them. I'm ecstatic right now, really happy."

Less than an hour later, in a scene mirrored on Oahu, another former Warriors receiver, Kealoha Pilares, celebrated after being selected by the Carolina Panthers with the first pick of the fifth round.

"It's exciting," Pilares said. "I'm so thankful for the opportunity. Not so many people get to be drafted. I'm definitely grateful."

Both join running back Alex Green, who was selected by the Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers in Friday's third round, in the NFL fraternity. They will not be allowed to negotiate contracts or work out at their teams' facilities until the lockout is resolved.

Salas was the 112th selection. Last year's corresponding selection — running back Joe McKnight, by the New York Jets — signed a four-year contract that included a signing bonus of $572,000. Pilares' 2010 corresponding pick — tight end Michael Hoomanawanui, by the Rams, at No. 132 — received a signing bonus of $215,512. In standard NFL contracts, only the signing bonuses are guaranteed.

Neither former Warrior was concerned about finances yesterday. Asked what he would do with his first paycheck, Salas said, "Bank it, probably."

The figurative payoff came from being selected.

"Justification," Mark Salas said, referring to his son's hard work. "The Rams are getting a motivated player. Greg treats every play like it's his last down. He's always worked hard."

Salas caught 119 passes for 1,889 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2010. Scouts marveled at his pass-catching skills following his participation at the Senior Bowl in January, NFL Scouting Combine in February and UH pro day in March.

During ESPN's telecast, analyst Trent Dilfer said of Salas: "The one thing about Salas is he's a guy you can trust. We talk height, weight, speed, get-open separation. Quarterbacks want guys they can trust. You can trust Greg Salas."

The Rams had indicated they would select Salas in the third round Friday. Instead, they chose Boise State receiver Austin Pettis.

"It was a bummer because we thought he would be picked there," Salas' mother, Teri, said.

The gathering was rescheduled for yesterday. Although the ESPN telecast would not start until 9 a.m. Pacific time, some family members begin showing up at the Salas house at 3 a.m.

After the first 14 picks of the fourth round, Salas' cell phone sounded.

"The (Rams') general manager called me," Salas said. "I didn't know if they were going to pick a receiver, because they picked one the round before. I was happy my phone was ringing, and the wait was over."

General manager Billy Devaney told Salas: "We're going to make you a St. Louis Ram. Would that be OK?"

After relaying the message, Salas said: "Everybody was screaming. Mom was crying. My dad was happy. He's a huge Rams fan."

Salas added: "I want to thank everyone in Hawaii — Kealoha, Mo (quarterback Bryant Moniz), the linemen, the other receivers, the coaches."

Salas' parents accompanied him on his UH recruiting trip in January 2006.

"Hawaii will always be special to our family," Mark Salas said. "It's very special to Greg. Hawaii won't be our last destination. Hawaii will always be our first destination."

In Nuuanu, an island son marveled at his good fortune.

In the first quarter of the Dec. 24 Hawaii Bowl, Pilares suffered a partially torn PCL in his left knee during a punt return. The rehabilitation forced him to turn down an East-West Shrine Game invitation, and limit his NFL combine participation to the bench press. At UH's pro day, Pilares was credited with running 40 yards in 4.42 seconds — at least two scouts clocked him at sub-4.4 seconds — and had a vertical jump of 40 1/2 inches.

"After I got hurt, there was a little doubt," Pilares recalled. "I met some great people on the way who really gave me some positive energy. They made me look at my injury in a totally different way."

One was Dave Austin, the father of backup quarterback Shane Austin. He is a motivation counselor who works with several professional athletes.

"He helped me get through it," Pilares said. "In life, you're going to face adversity. That's exactly what it was."

Pilares was the state's Offensive Player of the Year in 2005. He signed an agreement to attend the Air Force Academy. But after a few weeks at the prep academy, he requested a leave. He then contacted UH coach Rich Miano.

"He really helped me out," Pilares said. "If it weren't for that guy, I don't know if I would have been at the University of Hawaii."

Pilares paid his way during the fall 2006 semester, then went on scholarship in January 2007. He was a running back for two seasons before moving to slotback in 2009. Because of a season-ending injury to Rodney Bradley, he played wideout the final seven games of the 2009 season. In 2010, back at slotback, he caught 88 passes for 1,306 yards and 15 touchdowns.

"Playing wideout helped me out with the coverages when I went back to slotback as a senior," Pilares said. "Being a running back helped me with the blocking. It's been a full circle. It's weird how things worked out. But in the end, they worked out."

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/20110501_slots_hit_the_jackpot.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »
Salas made the Rams roster. 

Surprised to see Kealoha Pilares make the Panthers roster.  He'll need to convince me he has the hands and durability to play in the NFL. 

We sure miss those two at UH.  The UH WRs are not ready for prime time.   :-\

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 09:11:19 AM »
Salas and Bess are both solid receivers.....Hawaii has had some very solid players over the years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
Salas and Bess are both solid receivers.....Hawaii has had some very solid players over the years.

Yep.  Salas is apparently the no. 1 slot in St. Louis now.  http://twitter.com/#!/miklasz/status/114160443228033024

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »
As a Giant fan I must say I was a huge fan of Salas Monday night :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »
As a Giant fan I must say I was a huge fan of Salas Monday night :D

How rude.   :)  Didn't see the game, but I heard he wasn't quite ready for prime time.  Fumbled punt return and a couple dropped passes. 

He'll be ok.  He's a good football player.  Tough kid. 

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »
Salas will be good.....he has more games ahead of him.....great football player with sensational speed!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2011, 08:33:29 PM »
Dang.   :-\

Rams WR Salas out for season
By Associated Press
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Nov 08, 2011

ST. LOUIS » St. Louis Rams wide receiver Greg Salas, a rookie who leads the team with 27 receptions, will miss the rest of the season with a broken right leg that will require surgery.

Salas, a fourth-round draft pick and Hawaii alum, was injured when a tackler rolled on him after a 5-yard catch in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s overtime loss at Arizona. He had seven catches for 59 yards Sunday.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/20111108_rams_wr_salas_out_for_season.html?id=133422498

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »