Author Topic: Dorian Yates 1997 back training shots  (Read 14470 times)

Ropo

• Getbig IV
Re: Dorian Yates 1997 back training shots
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »
Exercise i will never ever do again. Joint killer.

Maybe you should try to do it right? Problem with this is the fact, that even a weak guy like you can load great amount of iron in the other end of the cable, and they usually put there too much. That is what eats your joints. When I do it, I hardly ever load there more than 200-300lb, but when I pull it, I keep tension in my back up to two seconds, and release it slowly for next rep, which I typically pull up to 15 reps. I could pull 400lb with this, but that isn't the point. Point is tension in the muscle and muscle exertion up to the max without braking yourself. In this point of the training my back I don't need heavy loads, because this usually is second to last exersice on my session.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
From the back he destroyed everyone.
still does. Jay who? Phil what?

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 10:41:38 PM »
Maybe you should try to do it right? Problem with this is the fact, that even a weak guy like you can load great amount of iron in the other end of the cable, and they usually put there too much. That is what eats your joints. When I do it, I hardly ever load there more than 200-300lb, but when I pull it, I keep tension in my back up to two seconds, and release it slowly for next rep, which I typically pull up to 15 reps. I could pull 400lb with this, but that isn't the point. Point is tension in the muscle and muscle exertion up to the max without braking yourself. In this point of the training my back I don't need heavy loads, because this usually is second to last exersice on my session.
Yup form is key especially, over 32-33 or so, use bad form after this time and your Joints are in for a Nasty time bye the time you hit 40 odd.

Frank Clairmonte

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM KAI GREENE #BELIEVE
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 11:21:22 PM »
his midsection got really ugly in 1997, look at his gut god damn! :-\

his gut is so big that everything else looks small.
 :'(

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 11:26:43 PM »
Great lower lat development...

Doz was sensational!!!

He was quite good. In the other hand, what I have learn while training, there is more efficient ways to do those exercises. For example:

When you use apparatus like this, try to sit bit higher than Dorian in this picture, so when you pull, your fist ends up lower beside your waist. Arch your back in that position so you can feel tension in the lowest part of the latissimus. With little bit adjusting to find the range of motion which gives less stress to your bicep, and more stress to your lower latissimus will do the trick, and you will be able to get max out from that muscle. I usually do this after the next exercise. 

Same here. If you rise the seat so you can pull your hand lower near to your hip, arch your back and keep that posture up to two seconds, you benefit more growth to lower latissimus. I pull both sides same time, I get better tension this way. While you do exercises like these, try find the way to pull full range of motion with less tension on your biceps. You are training your back, so you need to aim your exercises in to it, not in your biceps. 

While I training my back, I use straps only for those wide rows, and deadlifts.  While I do pull downs, I never yank the bar and lean back, I sit with straight back and when I pull, I arch my upper back and push my chest out. I use only wide grips with the front pull, unless I use the rowing handle. Same with pull ups, use wide grip and full range of motion. What I have also learn, is that all cheating and yanking doesn't help you to build your body, it only builds your ego, not the muscles. When you build your muscles using good postures and right range of motions, those muscles which you gain build up your ego far better.   

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »
his midsection got really ugly in 1997, look at his gut god damn! :-\

his gut is so big that everything else looks small.
 :'(

Yeah his gut was big, but it's also super pronounced because he's properly contracting his back by lifting his chest up/arching his back.  Very few people actually do this.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 12:58:24 AM »
ass like a 10-year old boy

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 03:04:59 AM »
He was quite good. In the other hand, what I have learn while training, there is more efficient ways to do those exercises. For example:

When you use apparatus like this, try to sit bit higher than Dorian in this picture, so when you pull, your fist ends up lower beside your waist. Arch your back in that position so you can feel tension in the lowest part of the latissimus. With little bit adjusting to find the range of motion which gives less stress to your bicep, and more stress to your lower latissimus will do the trick, and you will be able to get max out from that muscle. I usually do this after the next exercise. 

Same here. If you rise the seat so you can pull your hand lower near to your hip, arch your back and keep that posture up to two seconds, you benefit more growth to lower latissimus. I pull both sides same time, I get better tension this way. While you do exercises like these, try find the way to pull full range of motion with less tension on your biceps. You are training your back, so you need to aim your exercises in to it, not in your biceps. 

While I training my back, I use straps only for those wide rows, and deadlifts.  While I do pull downs, I never yank the bar and lean back, I sit with straight back and when I pull, I arch my upper back and push my chest out. I use only wide grips with the front pull, unless I use the rowing handle. Same with pull ups, use wide grip and full range of motion. What I have also learn, is that all cheating and yanking doesn't help you to build your body, it only builds your ego, not the muscles. When you build your muscles using good postures and right range of motions, those muscles which you gain build up your ego far better.   

So you're telling us that you've learned that Dorian is doing it wrong...and the way you're doing it is right?
Y

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 04:52:31 AM »
So you're telling us that you've learned that Dorian is doing it wrong...and the way you're doing it is right?

Imagine what yates' back wouldve looked like if he had trained properly

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 05:11:45 AM »

While I training my back, I use straps only for those wide rows, and deadlifts.  While I do pull downs, I never yank the bar and lean back, I sit with straight back and when I pull, I arch my upper back and push my chest out. I use only wide grips with the front pull, unless I use the rowing handle. Same with pull ups, use wide grip and full range of motion. What I have also learn, is that all cheating and yanking doesn't help you to build your body, it only builds your ego, not the muscles. When you build your muscles using good postures and right range of motions, those muscles which you gain build up your ego far better.  

Right in the money, and the same applies for most chest machines. The lower the seat, the more your delts are involved in the movement. Many folks seem to overrate the flexibility of a machine, they just load/pin some weight and start without thinking.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 05:13:52 AM »
His gut really got out of control but come contest day he did a pretty good job keeping it under control. 

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 05:38:04 AM »
Imagine what yates' back wouldve looked like if he had trained properly

Yes, he really needed work on those lower lats...If Yates only knew how to isolate back properly...and those lazy negro's Flex and Dillet also spring to mind. Dillet would have had 30 inch arms at least with "focused intensity".
Trans Milkshake.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 06:32:57 AM »

Yes, he really needed work on those lower lats...If Yates only knew how to isolate back properly...and those lazy negro's Flex and Dillet also spring to mind. Dillet would have had 30 inch arms at least with "focused intensity".

Exactly

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 06:56:26 AM »
i like the low cable wide bar pulley row do it more recently...

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 07:07:41 AM »
Right calf in this pic is just ridiculous.  Insane how big they were.

Y

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 07:10:46 AM »
Right calf in this pic is just ridiculous.  Insane how big they were.

i was just going to say that his calves were ridiculous...

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 07:15:39 AM »

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 09:40:55 AM »

You seem to be living in the illusion, where pro bodybuilders are some kind of geniuses race, because they are so strong? In the real world, AND when you have met bunch of these guys and been training among  them, you know that they are far from genius even in their own sport. Dorian is one of the greatest bodybuilders in this world, but did he do everything right? No, and he has lots of broken muscles to prove it. He is one of the best in the business, but he isn't flawless, and he admits it by himself. Furthermore, these are not training pictures, these are poses with training equipment, so it would be silly use them to criticism Dorians training technique, while we have lots of actual training footage on the video. I am just telling you using these pictures, that there is a way to benefit more from these machines, if you use them wisely. I see every week when guys load these machines up to completely silly overloads, and pull them with all the body strength which they have, ending up using 2" range of motion. That, my friend, is wasting time. Just like these apes:

delta9mda

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 09:41:09 AM »
re; the gut. i dont care who you are if you are 300 lbs at 5-10" you are going to have some form of "gut".

delta9mda

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 09:43:02 AM »
You seem to be living in the illusion, where pro bodybuilders are some kind of geniuses race, because they are so strong? In the real world, AND when you have met bunch of these guys and been training among  them, you know that they are far from genius even in their own sport. Dorian is one of the greatest bodybuilders in this world, but did he do everything right? No, and he has lots of broken muscles to prove it. He is one of the best in the business, but he isn't flawless, and he admits it by himself. Furthermore, these are not training pictures, these are poses with training equipment, so it would be silly use them to criticism Dorians training technique, while we have lots of actual training footage on the video. I am just telling you using these pictures, that there is a way to benefit more from these machines, if you use them wisely. I see every week when guys load these machines up to completely silly overloads, and pull them with all the body strength which they have, ending up using 2" range of motion. That, my friend, is wasting time. Just like this ape:

horrible and he had a mouth piece

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »
horrible and he had a mouth piece

Both vids fall under the category "gym clowns on tape"