Author Topic: Legs  (Read 3434 times)

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
Legs
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:00:16 AM »
I'm interesting to hear some feedback on this. When you're dieting down, is it true that if you choose to run on the tredmill it'll work against your leg muscles and lose size? Than using the bike or the elliptical.

- Thanks
#

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Legs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:49:07 AM »
I don't believe it. If you run you shift more bodyweight and for weight loss it is a better fat burner but i do not think it will cut into your leg size. Of course if you kick the arse out of running then you will lose too much. so the moral of the story is..common sense !

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
Big N: Absolutely, but if you wish and want marathon runners size legs than go right ahead and over use the treadmill or longer running sessions in general. Might investigate  interval type of training for burning fat, as another option. Intervals tends to keep the hard earned muscle gains, while reducing excess body fat. And in a shorter period of time, as studies have shown. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »
i wish people would get it out their head that jogging/running is not for a Bodybuilder. It's as outdated as Vince Gironda saying it depletes the bodys hormones(he himself rode a bike, "Wild Physique"). Cardio is a bad word for a lot of old school guys. I run myself and i find it keeps my legs in great shape(just don't run after leg training). The human body and in particular the  legs were made to take a lot of punishment.

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:40:38 AM »
i wish people would get it out their head that jogging/running is not for a Bodybuilder. It's as outdated as Vince Gironda saying it depletes the bodys hormones(he himself rode a bike, "Wild Physique"). Cardio is a bad word for a lot of old school guys. I run myself and i find it keeps my legs in great shape(just don't run after leg training). The human body and in particular the  legs were made to take a lot of punishment.

I agree, I use a treadmill or elliptical machine everyday after weight training and it doesn't seem to make any difference muscle wise.  Because of that, I was actually wondering if I could do weights more than once a week with legs.  But usually an intense leg work out leaves a bit of soreness for a couple days so maybe no.   ???

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:19:44 AM »
^THIS^

I just walk at a brisk pace on an inclined treadmill........30-45 minutes after training but never on leg days.

If I was a runner,I would run,but I`m not so I don`t !  :)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 11:09:05 PM »
^THIS^

I just walk at a brisk pace on an inclined treadmill........30-45 minutes after training but never on leg days.

If I was a runner,I would run,but I`m not so I don`t !  :)
walking is also great and is great if you do it like Wes with an incline. I used to just do my cardio cycling to work every day on my mountain bike. There were some hills on the way there and it got me sweating a bit and it always kept my fat down. 25 Min's to work and 25 Min's to get home...shame i have not got my bike now...some bastard stole it >:(

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
I pussed out on my leg workout today, didn't get to the gym this morning like I wanted because of a meeting, went tonight, did some warm-up sets on squats, one hard 20-rep set, did some warm-up SLDLs, one hard set, did some calf raises, went up to the treadmills, they were all full, went home haha.

I find as I get a little older (31 now) I just don't have the energy at the end of a long day to put in a hard a workout :-\

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »
I pussed out on my leg workout today, didn't get to the gym this morning like I wanted because of a meeting, went tonight, did some warm-up sets on squats, one hard 20-rep set, did some warm-up SLDLs, one hard set, did some calf raises, went up to the treadmills, they were all full, went home haha.

I find as I get a little older (31 now) I just don't have the energy at the end of a long day to put in a hard a workout :-\
u'll get it back,,i'm 43 do legs every sat haven't missed a leg workout in years literally.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:59:10 AM »

long day!,,,, ive trained after 12 hr shifts sweating all day in the shipyards, swinging hammers etc im not getting at you but my eyes almost roll out my head when i hear office workers talk of being 'tired' when they get to or miss the gym

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:03:06 AM »
"If I was a runner, I would run.  But I'm not, so I don't". Masterful words from Wes!

And as Wes indicates, walking at a brisk pace is a very good ides. One reason is that it can save the knees & hips, rather than having them beaten done by regular ground/track long or short periods of running.  Than the legs can stay fresh and be given full attention on any specif leg training day. If wanting to add a serious cardio and a fat burning protocol, than suggest interval training.

Pure BB'ing is a undertaking that should give anyone increased fat burning & cardio benefits, by it's self.. Pausing 60 seconds (or less) between sets and exercises, and keeping that quick steady pace throughout a workout, can boost up the metabolism greatly. Good Luck.
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »
ive always trained in a fast pace ( shortish time between sets, not machine gun reps ), in the periods i dont do cardio i find my fitness never realy drops that much, must be because of this..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
"If I was a runner, I would run.  But I'm not, so I don't". Masterful words from Wes!

And as Wes indicates, walking at a brisk pace is a very good ides. One reason is that it can save the knees & hips, rather than having them beaten done by regular ground/track long or short periods of running.  Than the legs can stay fresh and be given full attention on any specif leg training day. If wanting to add a serious cardio and a fat burning protocol, than suggest interval training.

Pure BB'ing is a undertaking that should give anyone increased fat burning & cardio benefits, by it's self.. Pausing 60 seconds (or less) between sets and exercises, and keeping that quick steady pace throughout a workout, can boost up the metabolism greatly. Good Luck.
can't agree on weight training alone being enough. The very least should be walking. The "no cardio" thinking is long gone. It went out with the old school guys. Weight training does not burn fat like jogging, bike riding...