Author Topic: No good heels  (Read 4189 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
No good heels
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
Whatever happened to the days of the true heel??

The Jake Roberts, Iron Sheik, Ken Patera, Roddy Piper types types

I believe that the WWE going public actually hurt rasslin, they have to watch every P&Q

I like Punk turning,  am sure he is sick being the #2 face and probably figures, if I can't be the #1 face, I'll be the #1 heel

Speak on this.....

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: No good heels
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:58:43 AM »
I think, historically, many of the best characters have been "extensions" of the wrestlers' actual personalities. Unortunately, this current generation is handed a script, being given everything to say, do, and how to act.

The creative latitude element is gone. Few now neither can, nor are allowed to, think for themselves. It's a shame we've lost that critical ingredient.

Today's "workers" and product are so disinteresting to so many fans - including this one.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:30:37 PM »
I think, historically, many of the best characters have been "extensions" of the wrestlers' actual personalities. Unortunately, this current generation is handed a script, being given everything to say, do, and how to act.

The creative latitude element is gone. Few now neither can, nor are allowed to, think for themselves. It's a shame we've lost that critical ingredient.

Today's "workers" and product are so disinteresting to so many fans - including this one.

I agree.  Years ago, you had ex-football players, or other sports,  who migrated to wrestling after their careers, whether it be pro or college. They added a level of believable toughness, not to mention many had lived colorful lives that translated over very well to their wrestling persona.  Not to mention you might have a couple of people in each territory who had actually been professional wrestlers who would make suggestions as to gimmicks, but let the performer run with it.  The turds who do "creative" now are a complete joke.  The wrestlers don't have a chance to season since vince killed territories so you get the garbage they have now.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 04:24:23 AM »
Or as I keep hearing the Internet killed wrestling.

I can respect the fact that back in the days heels lived their persona...I remember going to an AWA show at my High School and walked into the locker room only to have Michael Hayes yell"Get the fuck outta here"

Unfortunately I don't see wrestling ever coming back due to WWE Stock/corporate investors and Linda McMahon running for office...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
Unfortunately I don't see wrestling ever coming back due to WWE Stock/corporate investors and Linda McMahon running for office...

There are other reasons, too. But, yes; pro-wrestling as we knew it is finished. All we have left are the memories. :'(

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 05:47:59 AM »
It's funny as I remember my Dad reminiscing on wrestling from his days talking about Antonio Rocca, Skull Murphy and Gorgeous George.....

My son is 5, it will be interesting in a few yrs to see who I will be talking to him about....

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 06:11:48 AM »

I can respect the fact that back in the days heels lived their persona...I remember going to an AWA show at my High School and walked into the locker room only to have Michael Hayes yell"Get the fuck outta here"

You also have the fact that no one 'believes' wrestling anymore.  Combined that with the 'sue happy' mentality of people in today's society that even if they still acted like heels, you would see them in court.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
Kevin Steen- ROH.....very good heel.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
I think the whole "anti-hero/in-betweener" angle is what killed the true heel character.  People just can't buy one group of wrestlers being completely evil and another group being beyond reproach any more. 

Of course, back in the good old days nothing seemed to get bigger pops than heels turning face or faces turning heel.  I remember in Mid-Atlantic with Ric Flair, Masked Superstar, Blackjack Mulligan, Paul Jones all doing face turns at different times, every time the crowd went nuts.
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 05:14:10 PM »
I think the whole "anti-hero/in-betweener" angle is what killed the true heel character.  People just can't buy one group of wrestlers being completely evil and another group being beyond reproach any more. 

Of course, back in the good old days nothing seemed to get bigger pops than heels turning face or faces turning heel.  I remember in Mid-Atlantic with Ric Flair, Masked Superstar, Blackjack Mulligan, Paul Jones all doing face turns at different times, every time the crowd went nuts.

x2.  I remember when Bob Orton Jr took the bounty from Harley Race and piledrove Flair on a briefcase....great stuff.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 05:18:16 PM »
x2.  I remember when Bob Orton Jr took the bounty from Harley Race and piledrove Flair on a briefcase....great stuff.

I remember that too.

One time on Georgia Championship Wrestling, Buzz Sawyer made a face turn protecting his "brother" Brett Wayne from a mass beatdown.  Gordon Solie going nuts about a "pier sixer" and "Buzz Sawyer is on the scene!!" 
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »
I remember that too.

One time on Georgia Championship Wrestling, Buzz Sawyer made a face turn protecting his "brother" Brett Wayne from a mass beatdown.  Gordon Solie going nuts about a "pier sixer" and "Buzz Sawyer is on the scene!!" 

What was it about "pier-6" all the time?
Why was it never pier-5 or 2? Didn't anything ever happen on those?

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »

What was it about "pier-6" all the time?
Why was it never pier-5 or 2? Didn't anything ever happen on those?

I never got that part of it either.  I'm sure there is some logic behind it but I missed out on the story.
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »
I remember that too.

I remember the Sawyer deal too.  I think it was the Road Warriors, or some other members of the Legion of Doom...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 09:04:54 AM »

I think they can. Remember that it took Austin, aligning himself with Mr. McMahon, to get him completely heel again.

A Mr. McMahon or John Laurinitis-type can be completely evil. And, as Cheftim posted, Alberto Del Rio is firmly in the jerk-heel category. The only cheers I've heard for him was when he cashed MITB on Punk last year.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 02:12:21 PM »
I think they can. Remember that it took Austin, aligning himself with Mr. McMahon, to get him completely heel again.

A Mr. McMahon or John Laurinitis-type can be completely evil. And, as Cheftim posted, Alberto Del Rio is firmly in the jerk-heel category. The only cheers I've heard for him was when he cashed MITB on Punk last year.

For those you mentioned it's true, but for the other 99%, nobody cares enough.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »

I think that apathy is stronger now than it's ever been in pro-wrestling.

Sure, there's still interest, but it pales pathetically in comparison to decades past.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »

Don't forget Vickie Guererro.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »

haha...That guy was an amazing heel.

When was the last time he was actually in the ring?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »
haha...That guy was an amazing heel.

When was the last time he was actually in the ring?

The last time I remember was in '99, when he got a bloodbath from the Brood.