Author Topic: Letting go of my dog.  (Read 3311 times)

chafed_nut_sack420

• Getbig IV
Letting go of my dog.
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »
I havent been here in a long time. My last post was about my dogs back condition. He has spondylosis which is the formation of extra bone material on the spine. Its causing his spine to fuse and in turn its affecting his mobility and his overall being. We`ve tried to help ease his pain through drugs and other therapy but for every problem the drugs solve they create another. His skin is starting to get hard sores all over and he hasnt eatin properly in about a week. Food intakje is waaay down, he wont even touch his treats.  He also lost his hearing in the meantime. Lack of desire to play or walk, etc.. are concerns too.

Its been tough on me watching him go downhill and Im seriously thinking maybe its time to just let him go even as much as the thought kills me. The only thing that keeps me from doing so is I want to make 100% Im not doing this too early, while the other part of me is saying whats the point of having him here if he's just living day to day without much zest.

I guess Im asking for opinions on what some of you would do. He's my first dog and this is a new experience for me. Two different vets have given me two different answers. Maybe the answer is more obvious to people that arent as emotionally invested as I am. Can some of you also tell me a bit about the experience of putting your pet down was like, Im just trying to prepare myself.

Thanks.

w8m8

Re: Letting go of my dog.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »
what did the 2 vets say ?

are there any chances his life going to improve from what it is obviously deteriorating into ? and what will he have to endure in the meantime ?

sometimes holding onto a pet that is "dying" is just due to the person not wanting to be the one to make the decision because it's hurtful to think of being the one to say it's time

quality of life for an animal is just as meaningful to them as it is to a human ... pets are treated as members of the family and can see and feel that life is not the same ... routines are ending ... they can dream of running around and wake up not feeling like moving

thinking of what is best for them is what matters ... no matter how much it hurts us that are left here without them

chafed_nut_sack420

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »
One of the vets said he still has some time while the other one said I should probably think about putting him down sooner rather than later.

His condition isnt going to improve, it will only get worse as the spurs in his spine grow and dig into his spinal cord. This compression is what is casuing him to drag his hind legs from time to time and the pain. Basically both vets concur that his problem will not go away and that all we are trying to do is control the level of discomfort or pain he is in.

Im trying to decipher how much of his slope in health is due to old age (hes 11, staffy cross), and how much of it is due to the back problem.

Yeah, I agree, I think he's getting really depressed that he's not as mobile as before and becasue of the weird sensations he's getting in his back and legs.

I wish dogs could talk, it sure would make this a lot easier.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »
I guess Im asking for opinions on what some of you would do. He's my first dog and this is a new experience for me. Two different vets have given me two different answers. Maybe the answer is more obvious to people that arent as emotionally invested as I am. Can some of you also tell me a bit about the experience of putting your pet down was like, Im just trying to prepare myself.

Thanks.

No matter how much you try to mentally prepare, it's never enough.  I began that process when my beloved Keesha was 16, running around like a puppy.  She was 19 (and actually doing very well) when one night her stomach suddenly twisted and we took her to emergency and made the decision.

Many people say you'll KNOW when it's time.  He may be telling you now.  Keep in mind, dogs don't exhibit pain the way we might think (they can't appear vulnerable to prey).

I would strongly suggest you have the vet do it at home.  It will be much easier and more peaceful for you both.
:

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »
I havent been here in a long time. My last post was about my dogs back condition. He has spondylosis which is the formation of extra bone material on the spine. Its causing his spine to fuse and in turn its affecting his mobility and his overall being. We`ve tried to help ease his pain through drugs and other therapy but for every problem the drugs solve they create another. His skin is starting to get hard sores all over and he hasnt eatin properly in about a week. Food intakje is waaay down, he wont even touch his treats.  He also lost his hearing in the meantime. Lack of desire to play or walk, etc.. are concerns too.

Its been tough on me watching him go downhill and Im seriously thinking maybe its time to just let him go even as much as the thought kills me. The only thing that keeps me from doing so is I want to make 100% Im not doing this too early, while the other part of me is saying whats the point of having him here if he's just living day to day without much zest.

Thanks.

I've had dogs as pets since I was born. Needless to say, at my age that means I've loved and lost a lot of puppies in my lifetime. If you're dog is lucky and doesn't get hit by a car or suffer some other accident, they will die of old age.

Unfortunately, usually with old age comes poor health. The larger the dog, generally the shorter their life span. Some very large dogs, like Great Danes only live about 10 years on average. Our Danny, a Lab and Terrier mix is 8 years old. He already has arthritis in his shoulders which makes him limp when he first gets up. I hope he still has a lot of years ahead of him. He is such a sweetheat of a dog....so loyal and funny too.

What I can tell you is this, your dog depends on you for everything, including making a good decision regarding the quality of his life verses just keeping him alive and allowing him to suffer. Afterall, your dog can't go buy a bunch of pills and off himself like we could if our life became unbearable because we were in a lot of pain.

What I can't tell you is if it is time for you to let your puppy go. Ultimately, that is your decision alone. Weigh what the vet tells you and make the best decision for your dog.

This is one of the biggest and hardest decisions you'll have to make. Like I said I've had a lot of dogs in my lifetime. Making the decision to end a dogs life never gets easy. Just insist on being with him when the vet gives him the shot. Some vets discourage this, but I insist on being in the room, petting and reassuring my babies. Don't let your dog go with out you being there for him.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:32:02 AM »
Even though I love dogs and cats, this is the reason why I will never have another pet...

w8m8

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:18:51 AM »
Even though I love dogs and cats, this is the reason why I will never have another pet...

This is my thinking aswell

I have a cat and a dog and they are the last

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »

Everything and everyone dies sooner or later.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:48:30 AM »
This is my thinking aswell

I have a cat and a dog and they are the last

My oldest friend (besides my wife) recently lost his beloved Scottish Terrier, Judy. He says he will not get another dog or any pet for that matter. This makes some sense since he is 71 years old and the pet would likely outlive him. However, he says he is very lonely now. He never married and lives alone. While he keeps busy with friends and such, there is no one to come home to and care for. I feel bad for him.