Author Topic: Biceps and strongman training  (Read 8250 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Biceps and strongman training
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:28:49 PM »
My biceps are sore as fuck after picking up that stone 4 times yesterday. I know I need to work on technique, after watching Derek Poundstone and Steve MacDonald, I realize I can't lean over like that and wrap my arms under the ball, I have to hold from the sides to lap it. Today doing yoke my biceps are screaming like I did an intense giant set workout.

I'm thinking I should still hit biceps directly to increase strength so they don't become a weak link.

Yay/nay? Anyone with experience?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

newmom

Re: Biceps and strongman training
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:17:37 PM »
My biceps are sore as fuck after picking up that stone 4 times yesterday. I know I need to work on technique, after watching Derek Poundstone and Steve MacDonald, I realize I can't lean over like that and wrap my arms under the ball, I have to hold from the sides to lap it. Today doing yoke my biceps are screaming like I did an intense giant set workout.

I'm thinking I should still hit biceps directly to increase strength so they don't become a weak link.

oh steve Macdonald.. :P

by the way..SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP..

you're strong as fuck, it will get easier

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »
Numero uno bicep exercise for Strongman ( worked for me, anyways ) : Hammer curls, my friend.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
Numero uno bicep exercise for Strongman ( worked for me, anyways ) : Hammer curls, my friend.
Hmmm, don't do them that often, will have to include them consistantly.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »
They'll really help with stones ! Trust me ! I've heard some people say, " Training biceps aren't all that important when doin' Strongman ! " Bullshit !! They are VERY important ! Give it a shot, Chaos. You'll notice a difference after the first few training sessions with stones. :)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »
so many strongman movements include bi and forearm strenght, its foolish not to train them hard and direct
X

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »
Yeah, a few years back it was in vogue for Powerlifters and Strongmen to drop direct arm work, after a few months there was a huge increase in the amount of bicep strains and tears from stone lifting and tire flipping(especially tire flipping). Soon after guys added back in the biceps work, and most felt better for it.

I'd go hammer and straight bar curl  for like 3 sets after the real work, noting fancy, just enough to get it done.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 03:59:16 AM »
Key muscles are lower back, and legs. After that the rest is peripheral but of course will very important - bis, tris, shoulders, chest, lats etc. But there is no way they an come close to the core power muscles, so you need to learn to lift as much as possible with those power muscles. (That's why people from an Olympic lifting or powerlifting background to way better at strong man then body builders.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:46:32 AM »
Heavy hammer DB curls and reverse BB curls did wonders for me back when i did stones.

8)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »

i remember reading an old issue of MILO with a piece on 1993 WSM winner Gary Taylor and he said that biceps are one of the most important bodyparts for a strongman, he said you use them all the time, the log clean, the stones, hand over hand truck pulls, deadlifts, he said he included both very heavy cheat curls and strict curls against a wall and heavy hammer curls in his training.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 07:02:04 AM »
I haven't gone heavy recently since my last bout with tendinitis, slowly working my way up. I did some heavy "cheat" db hammer curls where the end weight ended up on my shoulders, kinda mimicking the log press, but with dbs, felt good but my shoulders were sore the next day.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!