Author Topic: Dwindling interest in Bodybuilding since Ronnie lost in '06  (Read 3543 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Dwindling interest in Bodybuilding since Ronnie lost in '06
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:12:08 AM »
Ronnie was entertaining to watch.... Train and compete. Once Ronnie lost in 2006. The sport has declined and is losing fans fast.

No disrespect to Jay, Dex, Kai, Heath or Branch. They just dont cause the excitement or anticipation that Ronnie brought (Yates & Haney also kept the sport interesting)

If bodybuilding was a movie; guys like Dexter & Branch could be solid supporting actors; but never the main star.

Bodybuilding lacks a star.

io856

Re: Dwindling interest in Bodybuilding since Ronnie lost in '06
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:46:53 AM »
people complained that ronnie's reign was repetitive and boring

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:04:04 AM »

Somewhat agreed.

I remember how the hype around Ronnie's prime back in 2003 was insane!!

Even buddies not going to gym themselves watched Ron's videos. Heck, I got my "Cost of Redemption" dvd from friend who had never touched weights.

It was something amazing. Everybody also knew the legendary slogans. I heard "yeah, buddy", "light weight" all the time at the gym and outside!! And bear in mind, we don't speak english here.

That was the golden era.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »
Look at the downturn after the 1990's era.  That was a bigger hit than when Ronnie left.  The Olympia will look very different over the next few years with Jay, Branch, Victor, and Dexter nearing the end. 

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »
Bodybuilding lost most peoples interest when Arnold left.

In general, the 70's-mid 80's was the best decade or so for strength sports/hobbies.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »
Ronnie was entertaining to watch.... Train and compete. Once Ronnie lost in 2006. The sport has declined and is losing fans fast.

No disrespect to Jay, Dex, Kai, Heath or Branch. They just dont cause the excitement or anticipation that Ronnie brought (Yates & Haney also kept the sport interesting)

If bodybuilding was a movie; guys like Dexter & Branch could be solid supporting actors; but never the main star.

Bodybuilding lacks a star.

it went down hill when ah-nuld hung them up that's why he still the best seller on muscle mags everywhere.
F

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »
  will always be a sub culture

A Professional

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
I somewhat agree. I miss the rivalry and anticipation every year. There was always this,"can Jay do it this year?" excitement. Every since Dexter won the excitement dwindled. It's like the torch has been passed to a bunch of tier B guys and anyone can grab it. Sure these guys are great, but if Coleman, Jay, et al were still prime theyd be nothing but peanuts to the ebony mountain of muscle and big A R Y A N bastard. Kind of like post-Tyson era boxing.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:56:56 PM »
I somewhat agree. I miss the rivalry and anticipation every year. There was always this,"can Jay do it this year?" excitement. Every since Dexter won the excitement dwindled. It's like the torch has been passed to a bunch of tier B guys and anyone can grab it. Sure these guys are great, but if Coleman, Jay, et al were still prime theyd be nothing but peanuts to the ebony mountain of muscle and big A R Y A N bastard. Kind of like post-Tyson era boxing.

trippin

A Professional

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 03:05:57 PM »

trippin

Goddamn this sport has lost all credibility. The drugs and pervs have turned it in to freakshow display of 'ebony mountains of muscle' parading around effeminately for their masters like slaves at auction (kinda like you shit pusher ;)). Sandow is rolling in his grave!

Btw, Jay might have been blocky, but he still looked like a fuccin Titan! As did Doz and of course Ronnie.

A Professional

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 03:09:56 PM »

Jay looks like he could take out cities with a subtle movement!  :o

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 05:05:09 PM »
Goddamn this sport has lost all credibility. The drugs and pervs have turned it in to freakshow display of 'ebony mountains of muscle' parading around effeminately for their masters like slaves at auction (kinda like you shit pusher ;)). Sandow is rolling in his grave!

Btw, Jay might have been blocky, but he still looked like a fuccin Titan! As did Doz and of course Ronnie.
  lmao, bodybuilding always has and always will be a beauty pagent for men, sandow was one of the first male models, and his fan bas was mostly homosexual.

besides the fact that of all the bodybuilding routines, kai greenes has the most appeal to women. 

ed corney, lee labrada, dennis wolf type of posing is only favored by the very small percentage of purely hetero, homophobic males interested in the sport. extremely boring and do nothing for the vast majority of fans.

A Professional

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »
  lmao, bodybuilding always has and always will be a beauty pagent for men, sandow was one of the first male models, and his fan bas was mostly homosexual.

besides the fact that of all the bodybuilding routines, kai greenes has the most appeal to women. 

ed corney, lee labrada, dennis wolf type of posing is only favored by the very small percentage of purely hetero, homophobic males interested in the sport. extremely boring and do nothing for the vast majority of fans.

I don't believe all of Sandows fans were queer. Gays cavalierly claim everyone notable is gay to inflate their numbers in an attempt to generate acceptance for their queer lifestyle. Stick to something you're good at like spreading Aids to the black community homo.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 05:19:43 PM »
I don't believe all of Sandows fans were queer. Gays cavalierly claim everyone notable is gay to inflate their numbers in an attempt to generate acceptance for their queer lifestyle. Stick to something you're good at like spreading Aids to the black community homo.

Maybe not but Sandow still ended up leaving his wife for a man

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 04:47:27 PM »
the thing is no one is beating the champ in his prime shape,jay beat an injured ronnie,dex beat jay out of shape,and heath beat jay with a torn bicep,only thing keepin it interesting is that it seems up for grabs every year now.

closeline

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 02:23:32 AM »
people complained that ronnie's reign was repetitive and boring

only mofo idiots did

was basketball boring 1991-1998 when jordan dominated?