Author Topic: UFC - Dana White blows a gasket over ESPN  (Read 5758 times)

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
Re: Dana White blows a gasket over ESPN
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »
Anyone notice all the fighters they interviewed are Dana's golden children and butt buddies?
Chuck Lidell, Forest Griffin, etc.. all fighters Dana either really liked or were close to him in some way.. Not to mention all fighters who got into the UFC early on.
Also liked the shot in the vid of Overeem signing papers, especially after Dana was such a bitch dealing with strikeforce and Fedor for all those years.

Typical UFC manipulation shit, of course they get only their beloved golden boys to do the interviews. If they wanted truth they would of done a session with Chael Sonnen  :D

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
The up and comers don't get paid shit. You have to be a major drawer to make the big bucks kind of like bodybuilding. The top guys make good coin though. They get a lot of lockeroom bonuses. If you get fight of the night that can be an extra couple hundred thousand for some of the guys. When Wand and chuck had that epic war both made like a million dollars in extras since It was fight of the night.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »
Typical UFC manipulation shit, of course they get only their beloved golden boys to do the interviews. If they wanted truth they would of done a session with Chael Sonnen  :D
Why would you blame any company for putting the best foot forward - do you guys even know how a company runs and makes money - these isnt politics where men in suits play with young mens lives and send them to kill their enemies targets - this is a company, you know - Like Microsoft - imagine Bill gates, when his own government tried to sue him if he just rolled over and died - if you dont like the UFC, and you are a man - well what can I say - you have been deeply touched by the lesbian feminist attitudes that make you a mangina desperately out of touch with your masculine side.  Only a young man could be this naive to think a company would sabotage itself when Billions of dollars are riding on the line - Fools!
V

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 05:29:42 PM »
even though the Tony Stark of MMA (Lorenzo Fertita) did that little Mike Wallace-esque expose of how little ESPN pay for tomato can's to fight on Tuesday night fights, it still doesn't masquerade the fact that guys who fight in the prelim's make next to nothing after they have to pay their trainers, managers, etc

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »
even though the Tony Stark of MMA (Lorenzo Fertita) did that little Mike Wallace-esque expose of how little ESPN pay for tomato can's to fight on Tuesday night fights, it still doesn't masquerade the fact that guys who fight in the prelim's make next to nothing after they have to pay their trainers, managers, etc
youre not exactly a tomato can when you get signed by the UFC

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »
Why would you blame any company for putting the best foot forward - do you guys even know how a company runs and makes money - these isnt politics where men in suits play with young mens lives and send them to kill their enemies targets - this is a company, you know - Like Microsoft - imagine Bill gates, when his own government tried to sue him if he just rolled over and died - if you dont like the UFC, and you are a man - well what can I say - you have been deeply touched by the lesbian feminist attitudes that make you a mangina desperately out of touch with your masculine side.  Only a young man could be this naive to think a company would sabotage itself when Billions of dollars are riding on the line - Fools!
I think his point was that that interview only involved Dana's buddies, which does not represent the majority of fighters.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »

hey now back off tyrant man.. I believe you just typically, missed my point completely.

Its a matter of a small margin of top earning fighters being interviewed only, giving an inaccurate perception of what the common fighter actually earns. And yes, I am aware that ZUFFA doesn't cover their own butts by being truthful.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 01:21:53 AM »
I think his point was that that interview only involved Dana's buddies, which does not represent the majority of fighters.
Exactly, why would he get his most vocal critics within the orginisation to support the baselees attacks of ESPN and other Tall Poppy Choppers.  Maybe this is why you guys dont get UFC, not only do you not have the kahunas for fighting, you appear not to have the basic IQ to understand simple concepts, like capatalism and avoidance of self sabotage.  Flame On you musclebear homos
V

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Re: UFC - Dana White blows a gasket over ESPN
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:18 AM »
 :o 8)

January 17 2012
What We Talk About When We Talk About UFC Fighter Pay
By Ben Fowlkes
MMA Writer

It probably tells us something that UFC president Dana White knew he hated ESPN's Outside the Lines segment on fighter pay well before he saw it. One gets the sense that he hated the topic more than the source or the approach, and the UFC's heavy-handed response to the story only confirms that this is a conversation the UFC would probably rather stop before it starts.

ESPN tells us that many UFC fighters are practically despondent about their pay, even if it can't name any of them or produce any meaningful, verifiable financial figures that make the case. The piece questions Lorenzo Fertitta's claim that the UFC pays somewhere "in the neighborhood" of half its revenue to fighters, as most major sports leagues do, but it can't disprove it. And when ESPN's John Barr says he's spoken with "more than 20 current, former, and potential UFC fighters," the savvy viewer is right to stop and ask just what he means by "potential" UFC fighters, and how many of the former fighters are guys like Ken Shamrock, who is the only fighter quoted in the piece, and who is, shall we say, not the most reliable or unbiased of sources on the topic.

In response, the UFC crafted a clever little piece of propaganda featuring interviews with fighters Forrest Griffin, Chuck Liddell, and Matt Serra, all of whom have nothing but positive things to say about how the UFC compensates its fighters. Shocking right? And here I thought that when the UFC showed up at Griffin's house with a camera he'd have used the opportunity to unload on his employers with one bitter complaint after another. And who could have guessed that Liddell, who was given a cushy, do-nothing corporate gig with the UFC once his fighting days were finished, would be so supportive? Never saw that one coming, I tell you.

The UFC loves to tout its post-fight bonuses, all that off-the-books money that it gives away out of sheer generosity and appreciation, and it does so again in its video rebuttal. It's true that the UFC literally gives away money that it doesn't have to. I've talked to dozens of fighters who have told me stories of White writing them a check that they didn't earn, contractually speaking. I've also talked to fighters who thought they went out of their way to hype a fight or put on a great show, only to have the UFC pat them on the back and send them on their way without the extra monetary appreciation they were expecting.

The current bonus system keeps fighters in a constant state of financial anticipation. They know the big money is out there somewhere, but unlike in most employer/employee relationships, it isn't laid out in print anywhere exactly what they need to do to get their hands on it. In that sense, fighters are like a primitive tribe of people worshipping inscrutable gods. They keep putting different offerings on the altar, trying different dances to make it rain. Sometimes it rains, and sometimes it doesn't. Some guys are thirstier than others. Some guys are better dancers.

One thing the ESPN piece and the UFC response have in common is a lack of detailed financial information. For a conversation entirely about money, there aren't a lot of numbers being thrown around here. ESPN would probably blame the UFC for that, arguing that because it doesn't release information about how much it makes and how much it pays out, we can't really know whether Fertitta's claims are accurate. That's true, but as Fertitta points out, the UFC doesn't have to release any of that information, and it's definitely not going to invite a closer scrutiny of its books if it doesn't have to. What company would?

But this argument gets us nowhere. ESPN says fighters want more money, which isn't at all hard to believe. So do NFL and NBA players. The difference is how they go about getting it.

It's easy to swat the UFC upside the head about fighter pay and ask why it isn't sharing a bigger slice of the revenue pie with fighters, but it's also naive. Why should the UFC be the lone company in this capitalist dogfight of ours to simply decide, out of sheer altruism, to give more and take less? If fighters are really unhappy with the deal they're getting from the UFC, they need to do what athletes in every other major pro sport have done: form a union.

What would it take to form a fighter union? The same thing it takes in any industry: a willingness to stand together, and the participation of a few key people. If Georges St. Pierre, Jon Jones, and Anderson Silva banded together with a few of the lower-tier fighters, the UFC would have little choice but to recognize their union. If it didn't -- if it decided instead to cut its top three champions for daring to organize -- it would bring such an avalanche of bad publicity down upon itself that it would wish it had signed a blank check instead. A mess like that could easily end in congressional hearings and a sponsor exodus, and no one at the UFC wants either.

Then again, what do GSP, Jones, and Silva need a union for? They're doing fine as it is. They're rich and well taken care of by the UFC, so why speak up and potentially cost themselves money? Why should they care what Octagon newbies are getting paid?

In other words, the people who are most capable of creating a union and addressing issues like fighter pay and general transparency are the people who need it least. It's pointless to address these complaints to the UFC, which isn't going to simply decide to give away more money just to keep reporters away. Instead, bring it up with GSP. Bring it up with Dan Henderson and Frankie Edgar. Ask them if they're willing to do what's necessary to secure a better future for the fighters of tomorrow, even if it means angering the UFC brass today.

That might be a harder sell in the fight business than it is among pro baseball or football players. Those guys are used to working together against a common foe, and maybe that makes it easier to unite them against greedy owners. MMA fighters, on the other hand, are more accustomed to a certain brand of self-reliance. They're used to a world where there's only one champ in each division, one man sitting at the head of the table and eating his fill for as long as he can hold on to the chair. They're all certain that they'll be that man some day, so none are eager to complain that he's the only one getting a decent meal. You come into that world and tell them to unite in service of the fighters they either don't know or don't care about, and you might not get such a warm reception.

But this is how it's gone in every pro sport. The NFL players of today might enjoy great salaries, solid pension plans, and health care for their later years when the bill for all they've done to their bodies comes due -- all things that UFC fighters need and deserve -- but they didn't get it by waiting around for the owners to give it up voluntarily. It never works that way. Not in any business.

If fighters want to do something about their pay and their treatment in the UFC, it's up to them to join together and make it happen. For that, they need powerful leaders who don't need them. If those leaders decide it's not worth it, that they're doing just fine on their own, then at least we'll have our answer. But asking the UFC when it's going to fork over more money to fighters is like asking a CEO when he's going to give himself a pay cut so factory workers can get a raise. Change won't come on its own, via some self-imposed sense of fairness. It's going to take a struggle, and that struggle is going to have to begin with the fighters.
!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 06:56:57 AM »
Exactly, why would he get his most vocal critics within the orginisation to support the baselees attacks of ESPN and other Tall Poppy Choppers.  Maybe this is why you guys dont get UFC, not only do you not have the kahunas for fighting, you appear not to have the basic IQ to understand simple concepts, like capatalism and avoidance of self sabotage.  Flame On you musclebear homos
::)
Considering its what I do for fun and to keep in shape, youre barking up the wrong tree with me.
Are you really calling others out when you yourself dont fight? Epic fail. Maybe because we do fight, we understand how Dana is acting no differently than ESPN, who he is accusing. Theyre both snakes, and if you wont so obsessed with your "alpha" "beta" real man bullshit, youd understand this.

"Maybe this is why you guys dont get UFC", youre a fucking tool sometimes dude, the UFC is an organization, they practice MMA.  ::)

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 08:09:08 AM »
Then again, what do GSP, Jones, and Silva need a union for? They're doing fine as it is. They're rich and well taken care of by the UFC, so why speak up and potentially cost themselves money? Why should they care what Octagon newbies are getting paid?

why did Miletich, Penn, Randy, Tito, KOS, Fitch, and Shamrocks complain?

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 11:50:20 AM »

So now you're defending capitalism, the system you were ranting on about in the other thread and how horrible it is for mankind creates wars poverty famine blah blah blah.. so typical

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »
::)
Considering its what I do for fun and to keep in shape, youre barking up the wrong tree with me.
Are you really calling others out when you yourself dont fight? Epic fail. Maybe because we do fight, we understand how Dana is acting no differently than ESPN, who he is accusing. Theyre both snakes, and if you wont so obsessed with your "alpha" "beta" real man bullshit, youd understand this.

"Maybe this is why you guys dont get UFC", youre a fucking tool sometimes dude, the UFC is an organization, they practice MMA.  ::)
I have fought my whole life, my good friend runs mma studio, & last year closed my gym.  I have fought on 4 separate occasions against three opponents with weapons at once and won, and many many more street fights.  I don't need wanna be jj guy who rolls around mats hugging grown men who aren't trying to hurt him trying to tell me I don't fight, I have had more real fights than you have had cooked dinners, and I have the scars to prove it - I live to fight - either verbally or physically, it is all the same to me - if you weren't so green and followed the UFC from the beginning you might understand the context of the argument - the bottom tier fighters make 100's times more, getter better medical treatment and only have to fight once a night - in the beginning this wasn't the case.  Do you actually understand the concept of what a fighter is - if you make it easy for them they wont fight - have you ever watched Rocky - every fighter starts somewhere - fucking espn shit, they get the one guy (Ken) with the biggest chip on his shoulder because he sued the UFC and lost and then left the UFC with the legal bill that was his. Rob Maysey is a lawyer who can smell money and fame - so bias is obvious and Rico was never a large draw and was unfortunate to compete before any real money was being made. Plus Rico just hates Dana, personality clash.  ESPN went to interview a lot of UFC guys, and if the fighter started saying anything positive, they just packed up and left.   ESPN and do gooders will destroy UFC
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »
So now you're defending capitalism, the system you were ranting on about in the other thread and how horrible it is for mankind creates wars poverty famine blah blah blah.. so typical
I am not defending capitalism you mong - just educating you grunts how it works - it's annoying I now have to educate idiots what the difference between an explanation of how something works and defending how something works! Keep questioning my posts, eventually your IQ and consciousness will rise to be tolerable to me, so keep up the good work homos
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »
why did Miletich, Penn, Randy, Tito, KOS, Fitch, and Shamrocks complain?

* Penn starting complaining because his delusions about how good he was were shattered by repeatadly being used for punching bag by other fighters in his class.
* Tito married the biggest whore on the planet and was just lashing out at his boss
* Koscheck is ust a KNOB and should never be listened too
* Shamrocks an orphan who was never loved
* Miletich started International Fight League - a competitor to ufc - of couse dana was going to crush him
* Randy was just jealous of Chuck who was getting paid more even though Chuck was losing
V

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:31 PM »
ESPN doesnt pay the boxers