Author Topic: Mitt Romney pays 15% income taxes, less than middle class  (Read 1510 times)

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
Re: Mitt Romney pays 15% income taxes, less than middle class
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
changing the subject

I thought this was about Romney and what he paid in taxes?

It was, till you tried to assert that Romney earned all of his money from corporations like GE (something you have no proof of), which is unlikely because the AETR is over 25% and because corporations like GE are the exception, not the rule.

I'm not a Ayn Rand disciple so you and I won't agree on much of anything regarding taxes, regulation or the role of governement

What does Ayn Rand have to do with any of this?

We're talking about economics here, not philosophy. You are complaining about companies like GE paying no tax and in fact getting subsidized. I am saying that the only way you can hope to tax companies like GE is by lowering tax rates in order to attract their overseas operations back home while removing the subsidies which make their effective corporate tax rate negative.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »
It was, till you tried to assert that Romney earned all of his money from corporations like GE (something you have no proof of), which is unlikely because the AETR is over 25% and because corporations like GE are the exception, not the rule.

are you high man

I never "asserted" that at all

What does Ayn Rand have to do with any of this?
We're talking about economics here, not philosophy. You are complaining about companies like GE paying no tax and in fact getting subsidized. I am saying that the only way you can hope to tax companies like GE is by lowering tax rates in order to attract their overseas operations back home while removing the subsidies which make their effective corporate tax rate negative.

given your name I assume you worship Rand or at least believe her philosopy

did I misjudge you?

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
are you high man

I never "asserted" that at all

You asserted that here.

Besides, if you did not assert that, then you implicitly admit that Romney's real tax rate is closer to 40% than 15%.

given your name I assume you worship Rand or at least believe her philosopy

did I misjudge you?

I do not "worship" Ayn Rand or Objectivism.

But again, you are going off topic. What is on topic is why companies like GE are able to pay no tax:
1. They receive subsidies via the tax structure for activities such as producing green energy
and
2. They move their income overseas where tax rates are lower.

Do you not agree that the only way to solve that issue is to lower and simplify the US corporate tax rate till the effective average tax rate and effective marginal tax rates are at least equal, if not lower, to the tax rates of other developed countries?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
You asserted that here.

Besides, if you did not assert that, then you implicitly admit that Romney's real tax rate is closer to 40% than 15%.

I do not "worship" Ayn Rand or Objectivism.

But again, you are going off topic. What is on topic is why companies like GE are able to pay no tax:
1. They receive subsidies via the tax structure for activities such as producing green energy
and
2. They move their income overseas where tax rates are lower.

Do you not agree that the only way to solve that issue is to lower and simplify the US corporate tax rate till the effective average tax rate and effective marginal tax rates are at least equal, if not lower, to the tax rates of other developed countries?

I can see why you think I asserted that but i also said I want to see his tax returns

regarding Rand, I assumed your belief about th role of governemet are influenced by her

is that accurate?

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
So you agree that Romney's real tax rate on capital gains is most likely closer to 40% than 15%?

And yes, I am an Objectivist. I believe the proper role of government is to protect individual rights. But that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.