Author Topic: Fat vs. Carbs - Which is worse?  (Read 5134 times)

exocet

• Getbig II
Fat vs. Carbs - Which is worse?
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »
I am using myfitnesspal to keep track of calories, carbs, protein etc. If I go over my daily limit on fat or carbs which is worse?

MM2K

• Getbig IV
Re: Fat vs. Carbs - Which is worse?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »
I would have to say that it is worse to overdose on carbs.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

exocet

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »
Thanks for your response. I had about 300 calories and I forget how many carbs left to reach the daily goal. I figured it would just be safer to quit eating all together instead of going overboard.

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »
I am using myfitnesspal to keep track of calories, carbs, protein etc. If I go over my daily limit on fat or carbs which is worse?

In this case carbs. Yet carbs are not bad at all. Only junk carbs.
Boundary Breaker

exocet

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
I never worried about watching my calories or macros until recently. The fitness pal website was a real eye opener for me. I actually read the food labels now before I buy something. This is a definite wake up call that I am not as young as I used to be. Whoever said youth is wasted on the young (or whatever that saying was) wasn't lying!! ;D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »
Even though fat has more calories than carbs (per gram), the carbs affect blood sugar.  Fats don't.  Usually better off with fats.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:44:39 PM »
Even though fat has more calories than carbs (per gram), the carbs affect blood sugar.  Fats don't.  Usually better off with fats.

Also, many "good" fats support optimal sex hormone levels (testosterone), as well as support cardiac and brain health, and promote anti-inflammatory response, among other things.

Carbs come in much, much lower on the list of total benefits, and have considerably less favorable effects on body composition for most people.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
it depends on the composition of your diet

if your already eating a decent amount of carbs and only eating a moderate or low amount, its much better overeat on the carbs than overeating on the fats.

if your not eating much carbs and getting most of your calories from fats, then you should stick with fats.

remember, the vast majority of body fat comes from dietary fat.  carbohydrates rarely ever go to fat, though they can cause dietray fat to be stored as body fat very easily when your in a caloric surplus.

so if you eating a good amount of fat, going into a surplus by eating carbs isnt a good idea.. bloog sugar spikes, and thus so does insulin.. and that means all that fat in yoru blooad stream gets pushed straight into fat cells.

but if you not eating much fat, go ahead and munch on more and more carbs. without much fats in the blood stream insulin wont push any fat into fat stores.. and while carbs can be converted to fat, the process is relatively slow and inefficient compared.. and increased carb intake transslates to increased metabolism as well.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
i would note - yes fats are essential and provide much in the way of health benefits.. but one only needs a small amount of them for body composition purpouses...   if ones goal is health, certainly essential unsaturated fats would be preffered to carbohydrates... alas, health and bodybuilding are two entirely seperate goals.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
In this case carbs. Yet carbs are not bad at all. Only junk carbs.

Given the hormonal response between the two, I would eat 100x the amount of fat compared to carbs.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 03:53:05 AM »

unhealthy (trans, saturated, etc) fat is the worst
unhealthy (high glycemic) sugars are the worst
healthy (low glycemic) carbs are better
healthy (poly, mono) fat is the best

IMO

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
Given the hormonal response between the two, I would eat 100x the amount of fat compared to carbs.
thats very misguided.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »
thats very misguided.

don't know why you dignified that with a response.... "hormone responses"... ok doogie  :-X

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »
I suspect YB may be getting at a point I made in an earlier post.
Sex hormones (testosterone) are lipid-soluble, cholesterol derivatives.
Consuming healthy fats helps support optimal levels of those hormones.

By optimal, I am referring to baseline.
I'm not suggesting that eating 40 egg yolks would equate a shot of Deca.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »

teh funny   ;D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »
Sex hormones (testosterone) are lipid-soluble, cholesterol derivatives.
Consuming healthy fats helps support optimal levels of those hormones.

By optimal, I am referring to baseline.

i think he was probably refering to insulin release. or maybe that as well.

a natty might as well eat a low carb diet and focus on fats so long as calories are kept moderate. its healthier. and some guys do feel bettter, like their testosterone is higher, on that kind of diet.

but a bodybuilder (someone on juice) really only needs a very small amount of fat in their diet and wont benefit from more.. should focus on keeping fats low and carbs as high as possible for their curent physique goal. when fat intake is low you have to eat a very large amount of carbs to store fat + glycogen and insulin are very good muscle builders/anti-catabolics.

mik1111

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 06:13:37 PM »
all is good 8)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 06:36:26 PM »
i think he was probably refering to insulin release. or maybe that as well.

a natty might as well eat a low carb diet and focus on fats so long as calories are kept moderate. its healthier. and some guys do feel bettter, like their testosterone is higher, on that kind of diet.

but a bodybuilder (someone on juice) really only needs a very small amount of fat in their diet and wont benefit from more.. should focus on keeping fats low and carbs as high as possible for their curent physique goal. when fat intake is low you have to eat a very large amount of carbs to store fat + glycogen and insulin are very good muscle builders/anti-catabolics.

Oh, absolutely.
Exogenous hormone use is an entirely different game with different rules.
I guess that matter was never defined in this thread, and we're all making blanket statements.

Silly fukkin' us!!

jannet

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
Well the fitness pal website was a real eye opener for me. I actually read the food labels now before I buy something.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 03:18:24 AM »
Well the fitness pal website was a real eye opener for me. I actually read the food labels now before I buy something.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

exocet

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 04:09:23 AM »
I appreciate everyone's responses. Just to clarify, I am not using steroids or GH. I agree with the  ::) responses. When I was in my teens I could get away with eating pretty much whatever I wanted and bounce back with no problems. The internet was not as mainstream back then so I believed the magazine ads that said I could look like Lee Haney, or Rich Gaspari if I took Weider "anabolic mega packs".

Now, although it may be too little, too late, I am reading labels, especially to avoid trans fats. We all have to start somewhere, and looking back I sure do regret the wasted time and energy lifting weights with a crap diet.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »

What I was referring to, was the release of insulin along with carb intake. I said I would take in 100x the amount of fat versus carbs, that was to make a point. I wouldn't consciously attempt that, but when concerned of the affect on body composition I would be far more worried about carbs than fat. When concerned about health overall (for me, that's a different subject though) I again have a disdain for carbs.

When we are talking about a BBer, juice does not need to be figured into the equation. ::) Now, do NOT mistake what I just said, especially you Taylor. Being a bodybuilder does not mean you take steroids. Are you seriously trying to say that you must juice to be a BBer? Sure hope not. To be a Pro BBer, sure. But for someone just living life and enjoying lifting weights, you can be a bodybuilder. One without supplementation.

And juice changes the equation drastically when carbs and fats where involved. Overall all though, I will take fat over carbs every time.

Tasty as them carbs are, they are my evil.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »

What I was referring to, was the release of insulin along with carb intake. I said I would take in 100x the amount of fat versus carbs, that was to make a point. I wouldn't consciously attempt that, but when concerned of the affect on body composition I would be far more worried about carbs than fat. When concerned about health overall (for me, that's a different subject though) I again have a disdain for carbs.

Gotcha.
And yes, my own experience dictates that fats are superior to carbs in terms of body composition - at least for my biochemistry.
Also, given the facts that carbs lack the redeeming qualities of fats, in addition to having detrimental effects, I'm with you on the dietary choice end.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »

When we are talking about a BBer, juice does not need to be figured into the equation. ::) Now, do NOT mistake what I just said, especially you Taylor. Being a bodybuilder does not mean you take steroids. Are you seriously trying to say that you must juice to be a BBer? Sure hope not. To be a Pro BBer, sure. But for someone just living life and enjoying lifting weights, you can be a bodybuilder. One without supplementation.

And juice changes the equation drastically when carbs and fats where involved. Overall all though, I will take fat over carbs every time.

Tasty as them carbs are, they are my evil.
depends on what you mean by bodybuilder. actually looking like a bodybuilder, or just "living the bodybuilding lifestyle"

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »
depends on what you mean by bodybuilder. actually looking like a bodybuilder, or just "living the bodybuilding lifestyle"

So you choose to live the hairy ape lifestyle?

I think you just type whatever drivel that comes to your mind while lacking forethought to reread it prior to hitting "send."