Author Topic: Texas cuts spending and taxes and ends up w $8 Billion surplus  (Read 1864 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Texas cuts spending and taxes and ends up w $8 Billion surplus
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:17:12 AM »
Hey 333 - do you EVER actually read the articles you post?

As the taxable value of oil produced in Texas surged to $39.1 billion in 2011 from $18.4 billion in 2009, the state led the nation in employment gains, adding about 700,000 jobs, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The state unemployment rate has tumbled to a four-year low of 6.2 percent. Oil and natural-gas drilling rigs more than doubled by mid-2012 compared with two years earlier, and the industry’s workforce climbed 9.2 percent, Combs said.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
Hey 333 - do you EVER actually read the articles you post?

As the taxable value of oil produced in Texas surged to $39.1 billion in 2011 from $18.4 billion in 2009, the state led the nation in employment gains, adding about 700,000 jobs, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The state unemployment rate has tumbled to a four-year low of 6.2 percent. Oil and natural-gas drilling rigs more than doubled by mid-2012 compared with two years earlier, and the industry’s workforce climbed 9.2 percent, Combs said.

So? 

All that means is that those leftist communist states banning fracking and oil exploration are missing out. 

BTW - F Obama

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
So? 

All that means is that those leftist communist states banning fracking and oil exploration are missing out. 

BTW - F Obama

oh really

can't they just cut spending and taxes instead

isn't that what your thread title suggest

BTW - F anyone who says F Obama

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »
oh really

can't they just cut spending and taxes instead

isn't that what your thread title suggest

BTW - F anyone who says F Obama

if they were NY or Cali the money would have been squandered. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »
and a good manager could have taken control and achieved a 50 billion surplus while increasing taxes and increasing spending.

means mean more than ends.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
I watched a program and it said Texas is one of the few states that could run without any federal help. For what it's worth, they seem to have the right idea.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:56:12 PM »
I watched a program and it said Texas is one of the few states that could run without any federal help. For what it's worth, they seem to have the right idea.

Consider moving there before they close the boarders.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »
and a good manager could have taken control and achieved a 50 billion surplus while increasing taxes and increasing spending.

means mean more than ends.
Do tell...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 07:20:58 PM »
Consider moving there before they close the boarders.
Great place to be fellas, you get hot as shit in Houston during the summer but can still have cold winters with snow in the pan handle.

Great job outlook, low cost of living, beautiful women, lakes and rivers to hang out on, lots of hunting, no state tax, a good amount of diversity in both population and culture, great food etc.

Ive travelled quite a bit in the US and abroad and its one of the top places to live in my book

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 12:06:50 AM »
Do tell...
sure. transfer all healthcare $$ into education and infrastructure development. transfer all welfare/cash assistance to food stamps. build large scale commercial buildings and rent them out/sell them cheaply to out of state businesses as a way to encourage their relcation to the state. kill the minimum wage and all labor standards. remove the requirement to have a license/certification to work in any desired profession. lower immigration standards. increase  inheritance over 10million by 20% and remove any and all loopholes to avoiding paying it (moving out of state, moving funds out of state, etc). increase income tax 5% on all earners.

shit like that. make the state absolutely irresistable to business and entreprenuers and remove all barriers to productivity and at the same time modestly increase tax rates while investing into programs that create more wealth than they cost (education, infrastructure, foodstamps) and out of programs that are nothing  but money drains (healthcare)

of course i dont advocate doing this..   but hey, if the ends justify the means..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 12:15:46 AM »
My grandson is in high school in Texas right now. It is the worst school he has ever attended. Currently this school and the school district it is in are under investigation by the FBI for misappropriating Federal funds. Several folks have been fired. The school district could lose all federal funding.

Maybe the Texas legislature could use some of that $8 billion surplus to bail out their failing school system.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 01:06:28 AM »
My grandson is in high school in Texas right now. It is the worst school he has ever attended. Currently this school and the school district it is in are under investigation by the FBI for misappropriating Federal funds. Several folks have been fired. The school district could lose all federal funding.

Maybe the Texas legislature could use some of that $8 billion surplus to bail out their failing school system.

It is part of the culture of this state:

That if it takes 5 quarts of "X" to satisfactorily fulfill a function...the powers that be will allocate 3.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 04:10:56 AM »

education does not make for good texans!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »

I never had a problem with the education system but then again my parents planned accordingly. Like all states there are goo school districts and bad one and good schools and bad ones. I do agree the education system need a lot of work but I don't think the liberal mantra of throw money at it and that will fix it is the right approach

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 06:12:21 AM »
I never had a problem with the education system but then again my parents planned accordingly. Like all states there are goo school districts and bad one and good schools and bad ones. I do agree the education system need a lot of work but I don't think the liberal mantra of throw money at it and that will fix it is the right approach

Look at NYS and Chicago - we shower the public school mafia w $$$$$ and for what? 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »

Like your parents, my wife and I insured our children got the best education we could provide. They went to Catholic school through the 8th grade and then transferred to the public school system. Our son went to a technical high school which required entrance exams much like a college does. He graduated 3rd in his class and had been an honor student throughout his high school career. Years later, when our daughter started high school, we moved to a suburb where the school district had a excellent record and none of the inner-city problems schools often have.

My grandson is in the school he is in in El Paso, TX because my son-in-law is stationed at Fort Bliss and that is the only school available. They have thought about changing to an online school where the cost is about $10,000 a year, which on military pay, they really cannot afford.

At least with the school district my grandson is in, the problem isn't about underfunding so much as corruption within the district. Federal money comes with mandates. The district defrauded the federal government by taking the money and then lying about meeting those mandates. This is just one among many problems the district has. Like I said, folks have been fired and some will probably be brought up on charges.

Personally, I believe classroom size and the fact that the No Child Left Behind rules require schools to equally educate all students without regard to the fact that not all students are equal, has created an educational environment where it is difficult to properly allow each student to achieve their highest potential. Our grandson has an IQ of 171 (as determined from official IQ testing and not some silly online IQ test) and yet he was failing some of his classes. Granted many kids with high IQ's at the genius level are often bored in the traditional learning environment because they grasp new concepts so easily. There used to be TAG programs for such students. Many schools have abandoned TAG programs due to lack of funding while at the same time ELL programs have greatly increased. Our educational systems today seem geared to the mediocre or poor student as opposed to addressing the needs of all students.

That is my little rant for today about the failures of the public school system in the U.S.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »
Come on bro, youre judging the Texas school system based on a po'dunk town like El Paso?

A border town at that which has all the problems of a small po'dunk town combined with it...

So wait, youre telling me that govt agencies/programs have waste and corruption in them? NO FUCKING WAY!!!!

and even knowing this your solution is to throw more money at it??????? ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!

I know youre smarter than this bro, sucks to here about your grandson. Ive travelled a bit in west Texas Del Rio, El Paso area and its pretty much a shit hole.

Hopefully your son and his wife will get stationed somewhere with a bigger city attached or near by so their education options for your grandson are better. It would be a shame to not nurture someone with the potential he has.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »

education does not make for good texans!

This has been explained by all the illiterate Hispanics and illegal Mexicans running their scores into the ground. Pull their scores out and the numbers are fine.

Fact of the matter is that Texas is run better than leftist shitholes like California and New York.

Texas = $8 billion surplus

California = $30 billion in debt and counting

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 09:50:58 PM »
Come on bro, youre judging the Texas school system based on a po'dunk town like El Paso?

A border town at that which has all the problems of a small po'dunk town combined with it...

So wait, youre telling me that govt agencies/programs have waste and corruption in them? NO FUCKING WAY!!!!

and even knowing this your solution is to throw more money at it??????? ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!

I know youre smarter than this bro, sucks to here about your grandson. Ive travelled a bit in west Texas Del Rio, El Paso area and its pretty much a shit hole.

Hopefully your son and his wife will get stationed somewhere with a bigger city attached or near by so their education options for your grandson are better. It would be a shame to not nurture someone with the potential he has.

I am simply talking about what I know about. Unfortunately, what I know about is this school district in El Paso. I also concur that El Paso is a shit hole, my son-in-law and my daughter made this very clear. Did you know that Fort Bliss is the largest military base in the country? Wouldn't you think there would be schools on base?

I reread my earlier post and I have to say I never said anything about throwing more money at this problem. What I said is that student to teacher ratio has an effect on student success. Teachers don't work for free so clearly more teachers would equate to more money, unless schools reduced the size of their administration to offset this.

My daughter and her husband are hoping to get back home soon. Where we live, the schools are top notch. It is possible that one reason for this is our community consistently votes for additional school funding, which is an option in Oregon. Sometimes throwing money at schools actually pays off.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »
This has been explained by all the illiterate Hispanics and illegal Mexicans running their scores into the ground. Pull their scores out and the numbers are fine.

Fact of the matter is that Texas is run better than leftist shitholes like California and New York.

Texas = $8 billion surplus

California = $30 billion in debt and counting

Ever hear of the "no child left behind act?" NCLB expanded the federal role in public education through annual testing, annual academic progress, report cards, teacher qualifications, and funding changes. The legislation was proposed by President George W. Bush on January 23, 2001.

NCLB testing includes all students, whether educationally challenged or not, whether English speaking or not.