Author Topic: Anyone in the Boston area?  (Read 5849 times)

FAST LANE

• Getbig III
  • Life's too short to be small
Re: Anyone in the Boston area?
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
Boston YEA BUDDY!!! Some good fellas in here!!

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
I've NEVER been offended by anything written on this website until now

lol.  Rice got in due to the Boston media machine, who made up memes of intangibles to force their guy in.  Cheapened the Hall.
Y

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 09:01:37 PM »
lol.  Rice got in due to the Boston media machine, who made up memes of intangibles to force their guy in.  Cheapened the Hall.

I can't wait till Posada is up for HOF voting in a few years and he makes it on his last chance so I can say the same exact thing.

Posada is NO FISK, NO CARTER AND NO PIAZZA

plus, Jim Rice making it on his last try is a feel good story for everyone.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »
In a 10 year period, he led the AL in games, home runs, RBI, runs, slugging, total bases..8 100 RBI seasons  and only 9 guys have higher carreer HR+Batting average. People discredit the guy for playing at Fenway, and he isn't a slam dunk pick, but I don't think he cheapened the Hall. I guess it comes down to opinion. Some people think that it should be reserved for the cream of the crop..I have no problem with guys like Rice, Gossage, Perez going in.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
In a 10 year period, he led the AL in games, home runs, RBI, runs, slugging, total bases..8 100 RBI seasons  and only 9 guys have higher carreer HR+Batting average. People discredit the guy for playing at Fenway, and he isn't a slam dunk pick, but I don't think he cheapened the Hall. I guess it comes down to opinion. Some people think that it should be reserved for the cream of the crop..I have no problem with guys like Rice, Gossage, Perez going in.

Jim Rice,HOF.meltdown.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2012, 09:18:47 PM »

Jim Rice,HOF.meltdown.
;D I've hated the Red Sox for like 7 years. I hope they finish 4th so I stop hearing about Red Sox Nation and Fenway Park bricks.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:12 PM »
;D I've hated the Red Sox for like 7 years. I hope they finish 4th so I stop hearing about Red Sox Nation and Fenway Park bricks.

;D

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »

Boston got lucky with their current owners. These guys are the reason they won in 04-07. Listening to the Boston media today is sickening about the Red Sox ownership. These guys not only keep Fenway park where it is when almost everyone wanted to move it but they also put boatloads of money into the team and brought Boston two titles which they wouldn't have if it werent for them. Red Sox were as pathetic as the Cubs where/are today.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »

I agree with you and I'm a red sox fan

The worst thing to happen to hardcore red sox fans was the sox winning two world series's

The floodgates has opened with bandwagoners

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »
Boston got lucky with their current owners. These guys are the reason they won in 04-07. Listening to the Boston media today is sickening about the Red Sox ownership. These guys not only keep Fenway park where it is when almost everyone wanted to move it but they also put boatloads of money into the team and brought Boston two titles which they wouldn't have if it werent for them. Red Sox were as pathetic as the Cubs where/are today.
I have no problems with the ownership. They spend money, and you're right the improvements they have made to the park over the last decade are incredible. They milk this "nation" crap for all it's worth, I don't fault them for that, it's a business for them. I can't stand all the clowns who came out of the woodwork in 04..it's a catch-22, there's a base of 20,000 people that will go to a game no matter what the teams record is, that's not the market they are after and I understand that.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »

I don't think anyone deserves to be in the HOF with a .298 lifetime average.  Plus he hit into double plays constantly.  He was never a clutch hitter.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2012, 09:52:21 PM »
I don't think anyone deserves to be in the HOF with a .298 lifetime average.  Plus he hit into double plays constantly.  He was never a clutch hitter.
He should have retired in 88. If he did, he probably would have retired with a .300 average. I, personally don't put much stock in a certain arbitrary number. Fred McGriff has 493 home runs, not 500, I think he should be in the HOF, too. You can make the argument that a "borderline" guy like Rice needs certain numbers to be in, though. He did hit into a lot of double plays, but when you have guys like Fisk, Evans, Lynn, Yaz, Boggs, etc...getting on base so often, it happens. You can make a strong case for or against the guy, all I'm saying is that there is 30 guys you could take out before Rice.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »
He should have retired in 88. If he did, he probably would have retired with a .300 average. I, personally don't put much stock in a certain arbitrary number. Fred McGriff has 493 home runs, not 500, I think he should be in the HOF, too. You can make the argument that a "borderline" guy like Rice needs certain numbers to be in, though. He did hit into a lot of double plays, but when you have guys like Fisk, Evans, Lynn, Yaz, Boggs, etc...getting on base so often, it happens. You can make a strong case for or against the guy, all I'm saying is that there is 30 guys you could take out before Rice.

He easily would have been over 300 if he retired at 35 years old. The numbers people should be looking at are Hits, OBP, OPS and then Batting average.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2012, 10:17:19 PM »
The Problem with not thinking Jim Rice is a HOF is that a guy like Johnny Damon is going to be a HOF. And thats sad when you look at Jim Rice's numbers. Johnny Damon is going to get 3000 hits. But so what. He right now is at 231 HR, 2733 Hits, 286 Batting Average,353 OBP,789 OPS(which sux-IMOP), 435 SLG%...

JIm Rice stats are 382 Home Runs, 2452 Hits, 352 OBP% 854 OPS, 502 SLG%, and a 298 batting average. These number blow Johnny Damon's away. Except that Johnny's numbers will all drop except for when he does 3000 hits. And that my friends is fucking sad.

Johnny Damon's skull has grown 3 hat sizes and over the past 7 years and Jim Rice still has better numbers minus the stupid hits. Damon doesn't pass the eye test of people who are looked at as scary. Jim Rice was the most feared hitter at the plate that its almost amazing that he is being brought up to Johnny Damon. SAd actually!!!

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »
 Plus he hit into double plays constantly.  

more pop ups than double plays......ESPECIALLY during his later years and EVEN MORE SO with runners in scoring position with the possibility of going ahead

but even that aside the guy was the face of a red sox era that most people want to forget....and again, i'm speaking of that very late 70's- early 80's red sox squad

also, the guy stayed with the team his whole career and he was a nice man

okay, so he wasn't no Mickey Mantle, Eddie Murray or Hank Aaron Numbers wise but he was still very "honorable" and the fact that he made it in the hall on his last chance is a feel good story

I remember that i legit cried when I found out he got in......well, I cried mostly because I had sat on my balls but still

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »
also, I love kirby puckett and may the lord bless his soul but if we are gonna talk "numbers" and how they relate to getting into the hall of fame then tell me how Kirby made it?

.....Remember, we are talking "Numbers" here and not the fact that he was a charasmatic leader of a bunch of great Twins' teams

btw, I get a feeling I put my foot in my mouth with this post so i'll apologize in advance

fact of the matte is that sometimes numbers don't count as much a certain intangibles

newmom

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 04:54:49 AM »

hahaha good for you

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 10:25:58 PM »
Bunch of baseball experts on here. Rice was great, end of story. Baseball is gay, story ends again.

April is nice in this area each year, spring starts, snow is gone, beer is cold, grill is lit up...

Coach, bump this thread when you get ready to travel...

newmom

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2012, 05:01:49 AM »
I'm thinking boylston or tremont street. Or shopping on Newbury Street  ;D

FAST LANE

• Getbig III
  • Life's too short to be small
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
I'm thinking boylston or tremont street. Or shopping on Newbury Street  ;D
Yesssssss  ;)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
Im within 2 hours. I could make it.

I'd like to meet you Coach, so I could make fun of your God in person  :P :D
X

newmom

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2012, 11:03:03 AM »
Yesssssss  ;)

don't forget your wallet. ;D

newmom

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 04:49:22 AM »
LOL, most of them especially from the north shore sound and act like this

wicked

Purge_WTF

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2012, 04:52:29 AM »
  Cannibal Holocaust and The Toxic Avenger are both playing at the Coolidge Corner Theatre soon. :D