Author Topic: NSAIDs  (Read 1142 times)

D-Ware

• Getbig II
NSAIDs
« on: March 11, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »
Will they have any negative effect if I take them pre workout.  Like inhibit getting a pump or some shit like that?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: NSAIDs
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »
No; muscular hypertrophy is different from inflammation.
Ibuprofen, Naproxen, etc., will not inhibit muscle growth, pump, or shit like that.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »
Thank you. I didn't know if taking them before my workout would be bad or wouldn't matter. So, preciate it, bro.

My pleasure.

Also, your wrestling posts are the shit

Glad you like them.
You can join my new fan club. I actually had one a while back, but the guy moved.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:32:55 AM »
Montague where are you getting your information from ? IIRC NSAIDS are non-selective inhibitors of the production of prostaglandins... effecting both those prostaglandins responsible for growth response in muscle after a workout and the ones responsible for headaches and pains and suc.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
Yes, NSAID’s will hamper protein synthesis to a degree. However, I don’t think their impact is devastating if you’re just taking one recommended dose a couple of hours before an occasional workout (you mentioned pre in your post).

While just my opinion, I believe frequency is the prime consideration. Protein synthesis is a critical component of the anabolism process that takes place in the hours AND days following your workouts. Now, if you’re taking even the suggested doses at the suggested times (every 4-6 hours), then you’re suppressing protein synthesis for a much larger time frame. If you’re doing that for days/weeks at a time, then yes: NSAID use will very likely reduce your long-term muscle-building progress. You did not give the impression of taking these quantities, and I predict no "substantial harm" using the amounts and frequency I believe you're proposing.

You didn’t indicate why you’re taking them, either. Is it to work through a nagging body part, or do you sometimes suffer from minor headaches, etc.? If you’re trying to remedy a traumatized tendon or muscle, taking 200mg of Ibuprofen once every couple of days may not be all that beneficial.

Just don’t take some Advil to combat post-workout muscle soreness or something.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »
I'm taking them because I had some nagging inflammation in my back.  But that went down after not sleeping on couch and icing.  Now I'm icing my wrist, tendon hurts when supinating. And taking NSAIDs.  Been trying to not take em around my workouts. Thought I would ask the vets on getbig. Thanks for your responses.  I always try and learn something if it is valuable teaching. I've been taking about 4 a day (advil) for like 2 weeks.  I actually didn't take any today. And am thinking about stopping.  I wore wrist wraps and it seemed to compress whatever swollen tendon is in my wrist. And I did biceps with no pain.  But when I supinate without support. The medial under portion of my wrist kills me.  Gonna stop the advil after I heard the protein synthesis comments.  I haven't felt like eating a lot of protein recently.  And I actually had some mushy shit. Like I didn't digest stuff.  So maybe its the NSAIDs.  Thanks mont, further advice is greatly preciated

There are both in vitro AND in vivo studies on the prostaglandin issue. Both demonstrate evidence of suppressed synthesis levels. The exact extent of those effects in relation to various dosages, frequencies, and durations is a matter of speculation.

I stand by what I said that taking a couple of Advil before the occasional workout will not obliterate your progress. But taking it with the regularity you specified here probably isn’t helping your cause.
Also, studies are nice, but don’t neglect the anecdotal data! Lots of “regular” NSAID users have been able to grow muscle over the years. Not even science is always absolute.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »
using NSAIDs isnt going to make any significant difference in progress, thats for sure.

even if used pre/post workout all the time, i suspect the body would very quickly adapt and progress would continue.

you had just made an assertion about the physiological effects, which i was addressing, not whether useage would effect results in a tangible way.