Author Topic: Charles Poliquin - Are his principles good or not?  (Read 6321 times)

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
Charles Poliquin - Are his principles good or not?
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:14:58 AM »
take a look at Flexonline and this guy is given tons of coverage, some for t-mag and tons of media...what the hell?
he looks like shit and his principles are nothing new preacher curls, close grip bench... ::)
He looks like an alcoholic with his beer gut and wasted muscle.

Boundary Breaker

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
Re: exposing Charles Poliquin
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:18:49 AM »
I used to like his early stuff, but in retrospect he's basically a FILT.

Rance

• Getbig II
Re: Charles Poliquin - Are his principles good or not?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:16:23 AM »
his book is ok but most of his articles on his website are ridiculous  :-X
The impact of body piercings on fat loss  :-X :-X

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:20:58 AM »
Ahead of his time.

Also gives great head  :-\

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:21:12 AM »
What about William LLewellyn? ???

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
Snakeoil salesman.

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
Marketing is fun

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
Indigo 3G is 162 % more potent than growth hormone.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
take a look at Flexonline and this guy is given tons of coverage, some for t-mag and tons of media...what the hell?
he looks like shit and his principles are nothing new preacher curls, close grip bench... ::)
He looks like an alcoholic with his beer gut and wasted muscle.

He's Milos' mentor...what does that tell you?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
His old stuff is golden, and he's good about crediting where ideas came from, but like most the lore of supplement and endorsement money turned him into nimrod. There's only so many ways you can write about getting bigger, faster, leaner or stronger, and he maxed them out years ago. Now he's forced to write about foreign mangos and how they added --- pounds of muscle to his frame and other horseshit.

Some folks even wonder if he produces those articles as a big "how much bullshit can I get you to believe" type joke on the industry.

As to how he looks? he must be close to 50, and for that he looks ok.

Here's a 2011 pic that came up on google image search-

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »
His old stuff is golden, and he's good about crediting where ideas came from

Good point, I did always like that about him and, in turn, it actually makes you trust him more.

Agree he's prolly trolling with the new stuff too. Piercings effecting body comp?  ::)

the Algebra Wizard

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 12:04:13 PM »
i remember years ago reading that he had people sodium load with pickles ...

seems like a plan , and sound

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
i read about half his book "the poliquin principles" a long time ago.  at the time it seemed like decent information, but looking back im sure it's all total bullshit.

hes another one of those guys who tries to sell weight training -- and even worse, bodybuilding training -- as some sort of "science" ie a bunch of mystical "secrets" that only a few "gurus" know.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
hes another one of those guys who tries to sell weight training -- and even worse, bodybuilding training -- as some sort of "science" ie a bunch of mystical "secrets" that only a few "gurus" know.

we will probably be saying the same in years to come about the present g1OD
c

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »
Lyle McDonald, Poliquin, etc. are all the same.  They try to reinvent the wheel.  Guys were getting bigger and stronger on a hell of a lot less gear before these clowns could even read.  Everyone loves Lyle because he's an intellectual asswipe that trys to make his books and systems hold more research than they really do.  It's the same old information that has been around forever and most is just common sense basic physiology.  Milk rates up there better than gatorade for rehydration and as good or better than most fancy carb replacers and protein powders...........DUH!  That's not fucking rocket science!  It's common sense. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »
Gurus keep telling everyone they are an expert then everyone starts to believe it.

I know a guy that has a gym near a really rich town. In that town many NFL players live. I don't want to say the team because I don't want to hear his bull shit. Since they work out there suddenly the owner became a guru.  Top self division one college players flock there to train for the combine. He then claims anyone who went into the NFL was due to his training methods.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »
  It's common sense. 

unfortunatly there is very little of it around at the relevant times
c

j3di3

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »
i used to read tones of these articles wondering how guys who followed their training principles or diet programs looked so muscular and lean, i would follow them to the t, giving my best effort, yet i remained looking the same no matter what i tried.
guess i wasnt trying hard enough or i was "overtraining"  ::) ::) ::) gh15 is my only guru.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »
Lyle McDonald, Poliquin, etc. are all the same.  They try to reinvent the wheel.   

i read about half his book "the poliquin principles" a long time ago.  at the time it seemed like decent information, but looking back im sure it's all total bullshit.

I haven't followed CP much in the last few years but if you actually read Poliquin's book, especially his book "Modern Strength Training" and its forward, you would be erroneously inaccurate with the above statements, if that's how you described CP.

His latest stuff may be a bit out there, I stopped following him around the David Boston era. However, the first few chapters to "The Poliquin Principles" are not only worth the price of admission, what info is espoused in those few pages are better than the last 20yrs of FLEX magazine combined.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »
I haven't followed CP much in the last few years but if you actually read Poliquin's book, especially his book "Modern Strength Training" and its forward, you would be erroneously inaccurate with the above statements, if that's how you described CP.

His latest stuff may be a bit out there, I stopped following him around the David Boston era. However, the first few chapters to "The Poliquin Principles" are not only worth the price of admission, what info is espoused in those few pages are better than the last 20yrs of FLEX magazine combined.

could be true, but i don't remember a single important thing from this book.  i do remember stuff like, some sort of superset advice, rep tempo, etc. for "getting huge arms."  complete bullshit.

here, i'll write the best "arms training" information right here:

THE ONLY ARM TRAINING ADVICE YOU WILL EVER NEED

by cephissus

1.  learn basic resistance training ideas and technique.
2.  train your arms the same way you train everything else, ie sensibly.
3.  if they don't grow, you have shit arms, i'm sorry.
4.  if you can't handle this knowledge up the dose, shoot them full of oil, and hope for the best.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:44 PM »
could be true, but i don't remember a single important thing from this book.  i do remember stuff like, some sort of superset advice, rep tempo, etc. for "getting huge arms."  complete bullshit.

here, i'll write the best "arms training" information right here:

THE ONLY ARM TRAINING ADVICE YOU WILL EVER NEED

by cephissus

1.  learn basic resistance training ideas and technique.
2.  train your arms the same way you train everything else, ie sensibly.
3.  if they don't grow, you have shit arms, i'm sorry.
4.  if you can't handle this knowledge up the dose, shoot them full of oil, and hope for the best.

Poliquin didn't reinvent the wheel, but he certainly makes the attempt to tell people how to weight train without being a knuckle-dragging idiot, like FLEX has been making since their inception.

With your advice, results will happen. But what if they stagnate? What do you do, where do you go or how do you make sure progress doesn't stagnate again and for a long period of time.

FWIW, you can pretty find all CP info out on the internetz for free these days. Look up his ideas on training tempos...that one nugget of information will be enough to keep you busy for years.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:39 PM »
1998 wants it's internet guru back

the king of overcomplication. Add weight to the bar, do more sets, reps and drugs.

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 05:43:07 AM »
1998 wants it's internet guru back

lol. T-mag was actually pretty cool back then. The dead pool etc. Kind of early gh15 type stuff.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 06:13:09 AM »
T-mag was okay when it first came out, then just like everyone else, they got greedy.  It became a massive marketing POS.  Haven't read it in years... does it still exist?