Author Topic: Planning an intervention.  (Read 4044 times)

MikMaq

Planning an intervention.
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
So one of my best friends coke addiction has reached it's limit. The dude is trapped between fiending and being crack off 24/7. Any advice how to do this.

When downtown last night with him and we went betweeen jiving to motormouth the whole night.

Marlo Stanfield

• Getbig IV
  • You want it to be one way,but it's the other way.
Re: Planning an intervention.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »
So one of my best friends coke addiction has reached it's limit. The dude is trapped between fiending and being crack off 24/7. Any advice how to do this.

When downtown last night with him and we went betweeen jiving to motormouth the whole night.
not sure bro, i guess watch some of that Intervention shit on tv to give you some ideas?

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 02:40:45 PM »

Sadly some people gotta hit rock bottom in order for them to wanna quit.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »
sticky situation. you can confront him about it. if you do, theres only a chance it might help.. and youll have to decide whether to be hard on him and risk losing his friendship but potentially cause more realization on his part, or be soft on him and keep his friendship but maybe not affect him as much.  either way he will need to want to quit on his own. as poster above said, probably need to hit "rock bottom". whatever that may be for him personally.  spending some time in a locked down rehb facility would be the best bet if he has the oppurtunity for that.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:05:07 PM »

littledumbells

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 03:13:01 PM »
 Call a local recovery place in your town, or the next town over. Get someone that knows how to go about this.

MikMaq

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »
Call a local recovery place in your town, or the next town over. Get someone that knows how to go about this.
Some descent advice, I know he's bad but does that rehab shit actually do anything besides waste money?

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
cut all ties with him and walk away but let him know why.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Richard Pryor is a good example of what you are up against...He was going to be "Sheriff Bart" on "Blazing Saddles"...But Mel Brooks realized he couldn't be depended on in the long term...Some say he never really stopped until the day he died.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »
Richard Pryor is a good example of what you are up against...He was going to be "Sheriff Bart" on "Blazing Saddles"...But Mel Brooks realized he couldn't be depended on in the long term...Some say he never really stopped until the day he died.
Richard Pryor is dead ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
I had to do pull a Baker Act on someone very close to me a long time ago.........if I did nothing,she would have died for sure.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4431397_baker-act-someone.html

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 06:31:46 PM »

tell him it very cold and lonly 6 feet under,,very sandy too

gh15 approved
fallen angel

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
tell him it very cold and lonly 6 feet under,,very sandy too

gh15 approved
Yeah,nothing like a permanent dirt nap as a deterrent to getting high!  ;D

You only live once.......no dress rehearsals allowed.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »
short answer = get professional help

long answer = what are your goals here? if its to notify him that hes a crackhead, then tell him he's a crackhead and fucking annoying to be around

if you dont want to see him kill himself then tell him, dont come around me on that shit. if you do, im leaving

other than that, you probably dont have the pull to 'force' him into an intervention. I dont mean physically, i mean im guessing you dont pay his bills so 'fuck you if i dont want to go i aint going'

im not a beleiver in the whole 'tough love' you got one shot bullshit. Id tell him the truth, drugs are going to kill you, good luck, you want to hang out, lets go, but not while your high.

be there for him, hopefully he'll pull his head out of his ass before he dies.

oh and rehabs are not useless, but expensive, hope hes got insurance.

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »

wtf does this even mean

littledumbells

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 08:59:37 PM »
Some descent advice, I know he's bad but does that rehab shit actually do anything besides waste money?

It only works if the person wants to change. Not all rehabs are expensive places but you need to call around and do some leg work and see whats in town.
He could go to the Salvation Army and get just as good a start in recovery as at a 20k and up a month rehab. It just would not be as cushy

littledumbells

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
You might start by calling your County Mental Health agency for referrals or talk to a hospital for referrals

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »
Richard Pryor is dead ???
Intensely so...

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 10:33:10 PM »
Honestly, I once had a guy who I hung out with come up to me and say he was worried about me. However, everyone i've ever known who met this guy said that HE was a complete mess. I guess what I'm getting at is, ALWAYS QUESTION THE MESSENGER!!! And if you think that "their" out to get you, then turn the tables and get an intervention on the guy who is trying to do one on you... ;)

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 05:40:31 AM »

That rehab shit can help by breaking the cycle. If this guy has been using everyday he is probably going to need a place to detox.
 Call narcotics anonymous, the people in recovery in your area will know where to take him.
time under tension

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 06:20:18 AM »
taser him in the back