Author Topic: Body weight exercises  (Read 1147 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Body weight exercises
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »
Anybody ever just get into fantastic ripped condition using body weight exercises?  A teenager was talking how he liked to get into an elite unit in the military like the Seals, recon, and rangers. He was talking about what type of weight work out to do. I told him they don't lift weights when training elite soldiers. They turn them into incoherent exhausted boots using basically body weight exercises.

It also made me think of an abandoned play ground in poor black neighborhood where men were working out on a playground.  They were doing dips, push ups, chins, various jumps, leg lifts and other exercises.  They were ripped and in fantastic condition. In the neighboring rich white neighborhood gym that had everything had so many out of shape guys.  This really brought me to reality that you really don't need to much equipment to be in fantastic shape. How many bodybuilders could even run around a block?

This is really a short list of what you could do to get into really functional condition and yes have a good build.

1. Various jumps like lunge jumps, tuck jumps, just jumps for height and broad jumps.
2. Running for distance and sprint work.
3. Single and double leg free hand squats. I believe it was 1975 when in the light weight division a guy won the Mr. Universe using 400 free hand squats with leg extensions and curls for his leg program.
4. Various pull ups.
5. body weight rows.  Put your heels on a bench and reach up to a bar with you body facing the ceiling. These are really effective.
6. dips
7. up side down body presses. These are really tough. Start by just elevating your feet on something and do push ups. Just get higher and higher.
8. Various ab stuff like  crunches, sit ups,planks and leg raises.
9. calf raises off a stair case step. One leg at a time then finish with both.
10. Conditioning exercises like burpees , mountain climbers, even jumping jacks for time will separate the men from the pretenders to be in shape.  
11. Ground fighting like submission wrestling is top shelf for getting into fantastic shape.  If you have never boxed you are in for one big surprise when you have an actual game opponent in front of you for a 3 minute round. Most who are new to it have said I had trouble keeping my hands up from exhaustion after throwing punches for just one minute.

There are so much more but I just wanted to list a few.  I know some guys will say this isn't men's fitness but truth be told body weight exercise can be the hardest work out you could ever do.  

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Body weight exercises
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »
Pretty much agree with OldTimer, bwt movements can have a central place in training. I have done Hindu squats, Hindu pushups and neck bridges quite often in the past. Among the royal court three main exercises (Matt Furry).  Actually you can be creative with just about any thing and any way in workouts.

Believe that #7 would be handstand presses. Trouble with balance than have someone hold your legs steady of have the feet against a wall. Do them between two boxes so you can go lower, for a fuller ROM & stretch. The great Paul Anderson included them in training. Rings, rope climbing and floor exercise (tumbling) are superior methods.

If that kid wants to get ready for the more serious side of military life, than before going in have him try at least three airborne jumps and focus on swimming a lot, prefer ocean or river, against the current. Running in beach sand is also excellent. All this should prime him for the hell week classes everyone goes through. But the biggest challenge is going to be the mental and emotional stamina. That's a make or brake factor, that separates the good from the exceptional. Good Luck.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:26:22 AM »
I remember when I went through it. It was a three mile fast run before lunch. Five miles after 1 hour or so of pt prior to dinner. During  PT they would never say do 50 pushups. They would call for pushups and they would time out about 15 minutes before selecting something else. I remember being relieved when they called for jumping jacks. They are easy until they left us doing them for about a half hour. Talk about being broken down into submission.

Every month they would throw another physical activity into the mix. Just to list some were swimming, boxing, and ground fighting.  Throw into the mix 4 hours max sleep per night with marching and double time every where you go.  Another was screaming at you when you were eating to hurry up and get out lead to a bunch of near skeletons before we were built up.

About 50% had to quit due to breaking their will or injuries. Whenever I hear how hard someone has it in military/police training I ask what was the failure rate? If most made it through it wasn't hard.

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
walking lunges supersetted with high bench step ups (one leg at a time).
Try this. If will bring your glutes, hams and quads to a new dimension. Squeeze those bitches. 
Boundary Breaker

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:38 AM »
yes the Military knows a lot of good stuff to make you sweat. I think really burpees..( Bastards ) this was an advanced Burpee.. lots of push ups and LOTS AND LOTS OF RUNNING AND SPRINTS. The gym stuff is mainly upper body strength and you really also need to do step ups on a bench. The list from oltimer1 is all you need. I remember the main thing for us (British Army) was running. Everytime you fucked up you did push ups and went for a run..all great stuff...LOL