Author Topic: get rid of religion if we want evolve  (Read 24458 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: get rid of religion if we want evolve
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2012, 01:25:50 PM »
Our investigations into the world are biased towards non-existence (and rightfully so). By this, I mean that we only posit the existence of something if we need it in order to explain some feature of the world. So, we don't posit invisible gnomes unless there's a damned good reason to believe they exist. Positing invisible gnomes explains precisely nothing, so we don't bother.

When it comes to "God," there is no need to posit this entity, because thus far we've been able to explain things without it (including the beginning of the universe). Thus, unless a compelling reason can be given explaining why positing God is necessary, the default stance ought to be atheism (and this is with regards to all conceptions of God, not just the Christian).

this is called logic.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2012, 04:21:29 PM »
Our investigations into the world are biased towards non-existence (and rightfully so). By this, I mean that we only posit the existence of something if we need it in order to explain some feature of the world. So, we don't posit invisible gnomes unless there's a damned good reason to believe they exist. Positing invisible gnomes explains precisely nothing, so we don't bother.

When it comes to "God," there is no need to posit this entity, because thus far we've been able to explain things without it (including the beginning of the universe). Thus, unless a compelling reason can be given explaining why positing God is necessary, the default stance ought to be atheism (and this is with regards to all conceptions of God, not just the Christian).
very eloquent...

unfortunately in science, not proving the null does not prove the alternative.

Meaning...that without proof for or against God the default stance is not knowing.

who are you to judge what serves as reason to believe for someone?

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2012, 06:03:26 PM »
very eloquent...

unfortunately in science, not proving the null does not prove the alternative.

Meaning...that without proof for or against God the default stance is not knowing.

So you would agree that invisible gnomes might control space aliens who, in turn, control the actions of humans.

It's never been proven or dis-proven, so we just don't know.
G

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »
So you would agree that invisible gnomes might control space aliens who, in turn, control the actions of humans.

It's never been proven or dis-proven, so we just don't know.
cant disprove it...

can you disprove God?

Im not going to bash you for believing in your gnomes, why should you bash ppl for believing in God?

godeep

• Getbig II
« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »
because god in the vast majority of the incarnations and imagination is completely illogical
l

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2012, 08:42:56 PM »

Logic is a big part of reason, and presumably we want to adhere to reason when we try to establish our beliefs. I don't "judge" how people form their beliefs, logic does. You are free to form beliefs based on superstition, personal emotional reasons, or whatever else. But logic dictates the proper way to go about it.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
Logic is a big part of reason, and presumably we want to adhere to reason when we try to establish our beliefs. I don't "judge" how people form their beliefs, logic does. You are free to form beliefs based on superstition, personal emotional reasons, or whatever else. But logic dictates the proper way to go about it.
is this the same logic that leads you to believe that society should normalize and promote gay relationships?

for a non believer and someone who presumably believes in natural selection and evolution you sure have a funny way of showing it, logically that is...

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2012, 01:21:51 AM »
cant disprove it...

can you disprove God?

Im not going to bash you for believing in your gnomes, why should you bash ppl for believing in God?
I don't seek to make laws about my gnome beliefs, that others should live and/or suffer by.
G

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2012, 03:24:07 AM »
is this the same logic that leads you to believe that society should normalize and promote gay relationships?

for a non believer and someone who presumably believes in natural selection and evolution you sure have a funny way of showing it, logically that is...

so to believe in natural selection means we can't evolve past it? that we must be confined to it's tenets despite the clear ability we have to avoid it's pitfalls? there is no logic in what you are suggesting, i believe in gravity but we fly planes don't we? Gayness happens in the wilderness constantly, for you to suggest propagation is a reason to nullify gay marriage or relationships is not only bigoted but retarded on every level. We are already seeing the issues of over population and their are plenty of kids with no families who presumably could use them. I expect you to kill everyone in your family if they have an illness.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2012, 08:20:26 AM »
Because atheists have done such a great job  ::)

Radical Muslims = want to kill anyone that isn't them

Radical Christianity = Wants to help and give to people around the world.
I swear I think I just inadvertently come on here just to dumb myself down :(
Please tell me you arent serious...
Check this out.. .it isnt to start an argument.. just show you that All religions kill in the name of _________________
Christianity is no less bloody than  Islam

http://markhumphrys.com/christianity.killings.html

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: May 18, 2012, 04:10:01 AM »
We can't seem to convince this guy otherwise, but we know the delights of the afterlife that await us because we accept the truth of gnomes, and the immense (and never-ending) torture that awaits this man for denying the truth of gnomes.
Time to spread the word of the gnomes. By the sword, if need be.

A gnome once told me to invade Iraq, but I wasn't president.
G

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: May 18, 2012, 06:07:26 AM »

come back to reality

godeep

• Getbig II
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »
I just don't like the intolerance so many atheists display towards the religious LOL
l