Author Topic: how many of you log your workouts/track calories?  (Read 2936 times)

dfresh

• Getbig III
Re: how many of you log your workouts/track calories?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
yea i do both of them, but seems im not getting much out of them. squats have been a staple for a while, ive cycled them on and off, but for the most part have been there. deads only got serious with them in the past few months. still i feel im not getting much out of either

yea i def stress way too much about all this shit man

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:09 PM »
yea i do both of them, but seems im not getting much out of them. squats have been a staple for a while, ive cycled them on and off, but for the most part have been there. deads only got serious with them in the past few months. still i feel im not getting much out of either

yea i def stress way too much about all this shit man

You are gonna take all the fun out of working out if you continue doing that! Try to relax and find a happy medium. You need to find an 'organic' approach that you can live with.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »
You are gonna take all the fun out of working out if you continue doing that! Try to relax and find a happy medium. You need to find an 'organic' approach that you can live with.

lol yea i think im just gonna go in do whatever the hell i feel like, get out within 45-1hr and call it a day from now on. just seems i havent made any REAL gains in a looonnggg time.....sucks

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
lol yea i think im just gonna go in do whatever the hell i feel like, get out within 45-1hr and call it a day from now on. just seems i havent made any REAL gains in a looonnggg time.....sucks

A real good approach for someone who has been training for a few years is to pick 1-2 muscle groups or lifts and focus on them for 2 months and just maintain the other muscle groups. This way you can focus your mental and physical energy and not have to spread them thin.

So pick 1-2 muscle groups and blast them for a couple of months. Work them twice a week or even try training them 3 days in a row or twice a day or something like that.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 07:41:16 PM »
A real good approach for someone who has been training for a few years is to pick 1-2 muscle groups or lifts and focus on them for 2 months and just maintain the other muscle groups. This way you can focus your mental and physical energy and not have to spread them thin.

So pick 1-2 muscle groups and blast them for a couple of months. Work them twice a week or even try training them 3 days in a row or twice a day or something like that.
hmm this may be an idea for my damn chest, it doesnt wanna grow!.....synthol ftw? i kid hahaha

dustin

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 07:44:18 PM »
I log the important stuff in my head. If it's worth remembering, I'll remember it.

The people I see at the gym with their face in their log books are either queer asses or Danta worshipping permabulkers. We have one of those guys at my gym lol oh brother!

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 07:44:50 PM »
hmm this may be an idea for my damn chest, it doesnt wanna grow!.....synthol ftw? i kid hahaha

Yes so make the next two months into 'chest months', and just do low volume maintenance work for other muscle groups. This will make you much more focused.

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
I log the important stuff in my head. If it's worth remembering, I'll remember it.

The people I see at the gym with their face in their log books are either queer asses or Danta worshipping permabulkers. We have one of those guys at my gym lol oh brother!

x2 on logging in my head. I've kept a few online journals, mainly for the social aspect (wow that sounds bad) but if you can't fucking remember what you did last week on a few exercises... Not to mention once you actually get strong (relative to your own genetics) it's not like the numbers are gonna be climbing every week.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:21 PM »
x2 on logging in my head. I've kept a few online journals, mainly for the social aspect (wow that sounds bad) but if you can't fucking remember what you did last week on a few exercises... Not to mention once you actually get strong (relative to your own genetics) it's not like the numbers are gonna be climbing every week.
Exactly..........unless you`re training to beat the logbook like the dogcrapp dudes.  ;D

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 07:49:46 PM »
good advice here fellas thank you, if this board had rep points they would be getting spread around like candy lol. btw off topic but, how come you cant see the topics you started, only the posts?

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 07:51:06 PM »
Exactly..........unless you`re training to beat the logbook like the dogcrapp dudes.  ;D

Yeah logbook obsession is gonna burn you out and cause anxiety or get you injured because you end up trying to force the poundages when you are having an off day.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
good advice here fellas thank you, if this board had rep points they would be getting spread around like candy lol. btw off topic but, how come you cant see the topics you started, only the posts?
I can always see both  ???

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
and what if i switched everything up every workout? ex: incline bb, flat bb, incline flies one week,then smith flat bench, decline db, and dips, then something different the next week? all with different sets/reps, would this matter? then there would be no need to remember what i did last week bc it would always be different lol

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 07:52:27 PM »
Yeah logbook obsession is gonna burn you out and cause anxiety or get you injured because you end up trying to force the poundages when you are having an off day.
Right,after training for a lot of years,your strength just doesn`t go up every workout no matter how hard you train......if it did,we`d all be benching 1000 pounds for reps!  ;D

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 07:53:35 PM »
I can always see both  ???

i mean you only have the option to check your posts and then you can see the topic the post was in. why cant you just go to a certain topic, instead of having to go through all your posts to find a specific topic

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »
and what if i switched everything up every workout? ex: incline bb, flat bb, incline flies one week,then smith flat bench, decline db, and dips, then something different the next week? all with different sets/reps, would this matter? then there would be no need to remember what i did last week bc it would always be different lol

Don't switch everything up, you need some constants in your routine that you can use as reference points. Secondary exercises you can switch around tho. Also regulate how heavy you go depending on how you feel and don't lock yourself to certain workout days. If you feel like crap one day take a rest day and come back the next day and have a kickass workout.

Planned chaos...not anarchy. ;D

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 07:55:25 PM »
Don't switch everything up, you need some constants in your routine that you can use as reference points. Secondary exercises you can switch around tho. Also regulate how heavy you go depending on how you feel and don't lock yourself to certain workout days. If you feel like crap one day take a rest day and come back the next day and have a kickass workout.

wes do you agree here? ;)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
Yeah,he might just be better off waiting to try something like switching things up every workout.

I did recommend that to him,but on second thought it`s maybe not such a good idea.

I stayed on set schedules for years,changing things up if I felt stale,but now it`s always something different every week.

T-rex

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
Try to get whatever clean stuff down i can as long as i can(chick brst,salmon,shakes etc).then cheat. I cant eat100 :(% clean all the time. I would go insane. So i found a happy medium.

Workout is pure instinct. I think sometimes u gotta listen to ur body. Lately its been pedal to the floor lol. I have to make myself stop. Recovery is literally ridiculous. I called in sick to work today just to lift.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
Yeah,he might just be better off waiting to try something like switching things up every workout.

I did recommend that to him,but on second thought it`s maybe not such a good idea.

I stayed on set schedules for years,changing things up if I felt stale,but now it`s always something different every week.

why not?

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Try to get whatever clean stuff down i can as long as i can(chick brst,salmon,shakes etc).then cheat. I cant eat100 :(% clean all the time. I would go insane. So i found a happy medium.

Workout is pure instinct. I think sometimes u gotta listen to ur body. Lately its been pedal to the floor lol. I have to make myself stop. Recovery is literally rediculous. I called in sick to work today just to lift.

now thats dedication haha

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:58 PM »
why not?
Because like T-Rex said,it`s kind of based on instinct in a way.

You have to know your body really well,and go by feel.

dustin

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »

Bingo. If someone learns how to become intuitive then there's nothing more to the training discussion, really.

It's unfortunately something you can't teach everyone though. Most people need a cookie cutter routine or they just stop going to the gym. It's better to have a loose game plan and go in there and let your body take over from there.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »

so i gotta stick to same routine youre saying ???

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
and i understand about the whole instinctive thing, honestly i havent figured my body out yet unfortunately