Author Topic: how many of you log your workouts/track calories?  (Read 2948 times)

dfresh

• Getbig III
how many of you log your workouts/track calories?
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »
was logging my workouts for a while and recently started tracking my cals using myfitness pal...greatest app out btw! and for any who dont do either, or only do one do you feel you can still make gains this way?

in other words do you feel its NECESSARY to do both of these things in order to progress in whatever your goals may be? anyway curious to hear some answers here. one thing ive noticed since tracking is im eating what seems to be a lot of sugar, over 100g a day! ??? some fruit, milk, some ice cream and boom you're there lol. whats everyone doing?

prophecy

• Getbig II
Re: how many of you log your workouts/track calories?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »
waste of time

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »
Fuck calories,think in terms of macros,and keep an eye on the mirror and adjust things accordingly.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:05:57 PM »
Fuck calories,think in terms of macros,and keep an eye on the mirror and adjust things accordingly.

lol i like, wheres my pm btw 8)

uetone

• Getbig II
  • TeaM South Americana
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
I do log my workout but in regards of diet I just track the carbs..
HATERS GON HATE!!

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »
btw you feel this is too much sugar wes, im at 142g today?!

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:18:44 PM »
and doing a different workout each time for each muscle group can still yield results huh? constantly switching reps, sets, exercises, rest. personally this is more fun to me, but i wanna be able to track progress....i know i know the mirror! haha

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 06:21:25 PM »
I see many twinks holding their notebook/training log or whatever like their heirdom in the gym, between every set, they have to go to their priceless notebook to jot down some information about how much they benched for this set, and they also refer to previous pages to check how much improvement they already have made for today's training session, this, so far, is the gayest and most pathetic thing that I ever see in the gym.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »
btw you feel this is too much sugar wes, im at 142g today?!
Sugar = empty calories.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »
and doing a different workout each time for each muscle group can still yield results huh? constantly switching reps, sets, exercises, rest. personally this is more fun to me, but i wanna be able to track progress....i know i know the mirror! haha
For an idea on how to mix up workouts to keep things interesting,look at my posts in the Training Journals Section,and start a journal of your own.

Nothing worse than carrying a notebook and writing during a workout when you could/should be training or getting prepared for the next set.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »
Sugar = empty calories.

right, but from a health standpoint? and pm......

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »
For an idea on how to mix up workouts to keep things interesting,look at my posts in the Training Journals Section,and start a journal of your own.

Nothing worse than carrying a notebook and writing during a workout when you could/should be training or getting prepared for the next set.

no doubt, and you just look at mirror and adjust huh, i guess this goes for everything. just track macros, do whatever in the gym to stimulate muscle.. and inject hormones haha?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »
right, but from a health standpoint? and pm......
Dude,you sent me over 20 PMs that I replied to over a two day period.........not trying to be a dick here,but I`d like to just chill for a while and eat and read the board.

I`ll get back to you,no worries.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
Dude,you sent me over 20 PMs that I replied to over a two day period.........not trying to be a dick here,but I`d like to just chill for a while and eat and read the board.

I`ll get back to you,no worries.

lol sorry bro just cant get enough lol

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »
was just checking out your log bro, so you do log i see ;D.. i notice no deads or squats.....you mean i dont need these lifts to be a beast?! haha

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »
btw how did you remember all that to write down after you got home from gym?

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »
was logging my workouts for a while and recently started tracking my cals using myfitness pal...greatest app out btw! and for any who dont do either, or only do one do you feel you can still make gains this way?

in other words do you feel its NECESSARY to do both of these things in order to progress in whatever your goals may be? anyway curious to hear some answers here. one thing ive noticed since tracking is im eating what seems to be a lot of sugar, over 100g a day! ??? some fruit, milk, some ice cream and boom you're there lol. whats everyone doing?

I track my calories when I diet, when I don't diet I simply weigh myself now and then and use that as a rough guideline as to how much I'm eating. Obviously also use the mirror.

When it comes to workouts, I keep track of 5-6 key lifts* (in my head) but I don't keep track of every exercise. Poundages for isolation lifts and smaller muscle groups are only tracked during priority training.

*only top/peak weights (not every set)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
was just checking out your log bro, so you do log i see ;D.. i notice no deads or squats.....you mean i dont need these lifts to be a beast?! haha
Just started squats again today.......bad back from years of training.

I do deads,but not all the time..........depends on my goal at the time.......in that journal,I was training for some contests.

btw how did you remember all that to write down after you got home from gym?
I`ve been doing it so long,I have no problem remembering.

Now as far as other stuff goes,I can`t remember shit.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »
Just started squats again today.......bad back from years of training.

I do deads,but not all the time..........depends on my goal at the time.......in that journal,I was training for some contests.
I`ve been doing it so long,I have no problem remembering.

Now as far as other stuff goes,I can`t remember shit.

haha. so from a hypertrophy standpoint do you feel squats/deads are needed?

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »
and thats the thing i know for a fact i cant remember what i did week to week! but yet you still feel it doesnt matter and i can still make gains in muscle size/strength?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I would do them.......they are meat and potato type exercises.

For an example,Benches are gonna` give you a lot more bang for your buck than cable crossovers would and squats are gonna` be more effective than leg extensions ,etc. etc.

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »

They are not a must but can be excellent exercises if you like doing them and are built for them.

You don't have to squat to get big legs there are other exercises you can use to overload your quads. Whatever works for you.

You sound stressed by training theory  :D I used to be that way too. Still am, but much less so nowdays.

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »
and thats the thing i know for a fact i cant remember what i did week to week! but yet you still feel it doesnt matter and i can still make gains in muscle size/strength?
¨

Just write down the top weights of a few key exercises on your cell phone. 1-2 heaviest set on bench, squat, pulldown, row, shoulder press, deadlift or whatever exercises you are using. Easy. When you feel good you try to increase weight or reps. When you don't feel good, you don't.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »
They are not a must but can be excellent exercises if you like doing them and are built for them.

You don't have to squat to get big legs there are other exercises you can use to overload your quads. Whatever works for you.

You sound stressed by training theory  :D I used to be that way too. Still am, but much less so nowdays.
Yup.............leg presses,hacks,leg slide,all good movements.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »

cals and cardio here. i dont log weights
A